2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am OOS and 500 of MCAT and went to interview last Friday...I think this can answer your question.... good luck
Thank you! I hope things go very well for you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been complete for over a month and a half, should I send an email of inquiry?
No, it's still super early in the cycle! Also, IIs seem to be going out like crazy for Jonesboro, not so much main, so keep that in mind.

I know I've offered already, but when you II individuals are getting ready to come down let me know. Fridays are (generally) low stress for us, and according to our schedules those are generally the interview days (correlation is probably not coincidental here). Even mid-comp days we are finished at 10 and have the weekend. I would be happy to meet you all and give you a heads-up on some aspects of interview day, including faculty.

I believe they are integrating 2nd year students into your day this year, which is something we did not get last year. They can help a lot with questions, but I wanted to get the offer out there. I'm already working on outreach to UGs here, so I would be more than happy to do this!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How many people were there interviewing with you?
Around 20 to 30 people. Also, I think it was the first cycle of interviews, and they will accept some students above their class of 120 seats, if it is necessary. One thing... THIS SCHOOL WILL MAKE YOU A GREAT PHYSICIAN....It has all you need and much more. State of the art facilities and equipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
For those who interviewed, did they expand on a timeline of when you would receive your decision?

Reactions: 1 user
For those who interviewed, did they expand on a timeline of when you would receive your decision?
I believe they said early to mid October and I was in the first interview group. Is that what y'all recalled?

Last edited:
Does anyone know about 3rd and 4th year clinicals for the Jonesboro campus? Will you get the opportunity for NY sites?

The Interview was neither tricky nor stressfull. Simple questions like: How would you explain DO to a person?; What is the most important topic in medicine?
Does anyone know about 3rd and 4th year clinicals for the Jonesboro campus? Will you get the opportunity for NY sites?
They will be pretty much open about it. What does it mean?? That you may be able to rotate in your home state(not all, I imagine). Every Year they are opening more and more clinical rotation areas.

FOR A BETTER CLARIFICATION ABOUT ROTATIONS...SEE DoctorPose Post Below....It is perfectly explained.....thanks

Last edited:
The Interview was neither tricky nor stressfull. Simple questions like: How would you explain DO to a person?; What is the most important topic in medicine?

They will be pretty much open about it. What does it mean?? That you may be able to rotate in your home state(not all, I imagine). Every Year they are opening more and more clinical rotation areas.

I'm glad you followed up on this in the way that you did. Here's why:
This school, the Jonesboro campus (and ARCOM in many ways), was brought here to serve a purpose. The idea is to produce physicians here in Arkansas (but more importantly, the Delta Region), train physicians here in Arkansas (again, Delta, and by way of a few new residencies funded through grants thanks to CMED), so that they stay here in the Arkansas (Delta). Because of this core idea, our rotation sites are currently here, in Arkansas. Typically we will be housed in a central location of decent size (Fayetteville, Little Rock, Jonesboro, Fort Smith) and plan on doing small, semi-frequent stints in rural locations as outreach to them. Many of us will do somewhat lengthy stints in rural areas to provide additional care and assistance to those populations. But the idea remains the same: the majority of our core rotations will be here in the Delta.

Where there is flexibility is with elective rotations, namely fourth year, which can (and should) function as "audition" rotations. These will ideally be in locations that have residency programs that we as students are interested in studying in. The hope is to get face time with these residencies, so that come Match time, they rank us higher than other prospective residents who they have not personally met because they not only see our quantitative data, but they actually know us from teaching us for 4-8 weeks. I'm from Kansas City, Missouri, myself, so with a handful of residency programs in my desired field there I could essentially "go home" during those audition rotations, but I am effectively there to audition, not to "go home." If I was from somewhere else, like some-odd-town Iowa, I would not really get to go home because why would my school approve me to go there if it doesn't offer a forward movement towards a particular residency and also does not lend itself to benefitting the Delta? The difference may be if it was a rural town, which effectively matches the mission of NYIT-COM Jonesboro even if it isn't in the Delta, but still less likely.

We have a student here from NYC. She asked this early on about the accessibility of NY rotation sites. They are possible, as they have already been vetted for the purpose of Old Westbury, but it won't necessarily be free-reign to sign up to go up there. If you're looking at more urban medicine, I encourage you to apply to urban-based schools. Understand that there is a correlation between the population surrounding the school and the mission of the school - the selected locations are not an accident.

It is also true that with each passing year options are increasing. But again, these options are strategic in one way or another, and would have to be well justified if they are outside of the parameters set by NYIT-COM here in Jonesboro. There is an extensive vetting process for new locations to be allowed, and it can be difficult to do on an individual basis. Remember that NYIT-COM is responsible for ensuring your rotations result in quality learning, so they have to be sure that the attending there are capable of properly teaching to a specific set of goals AND evaluating you along the way. That is a lot of trust to give to an individual/group of individuals, so it is not given lightly. And this all hinges on another thing: having a physician in your home town willing to go through this vetting process and the administrative nightmare that is the paperwork. That's why current residency programs are safer bets - they are already set up for all of that.

I believe I still have the current list of 3rd/4th year approved sites. Anyone interested can PM me and I can try to dig them up for you.

I hope my response does not come across rude or condescending, I just want to be sure the info is out there as explained to us current students.

Reactions: 5 users
Thoughts on the interview? Any questions that were just straight out of left field, or is it the standard, why physician, why DO, why here?

I also went to the interview last Friday and I got very standard questions (Why DO? Why physician? etc etc). I did however talk to someone else who also interviewed and he said that his interviewer gave him a lot of tough ethical questions and did not seem the most inviting person so I think it really depends on who you're assigned to (my interviewer was super chill).

I also went to the interview last Friday and I got very standard questions (Why DO? Why physician? etc etc). I did however talk to someone else who also interviewed and he said that his interviewer gave him a lot of tough ethical questions and did not seem the most inviting person so I think it really depends on who you're assigned to (my interviewer was super chill).

Thank you for your feedback! Just want to be as prepared as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad you followed up on this in the way that you did. Here's why:
This school, the Jonesboro campus (and ARCOM in many ways), was brought here to serve a purpose. The idea is to produce physicians here in Arkansas (but more importantly, the Delta Region), train physicians here in Arkansas (again, Delta, and by way of a few new residencies funded through grants thanks to CMED), so that they stay here in the Arkansas (Delta). Because of this core idea, our rotation sites are currently here, in Arkansas. Typically we will be housed in a central location of decent size (Fayetteville, Little Rock, Jonesboro, Fort Smith) and plan on doing small, semi-frequent stints in rural locations as outreach to them. Many of us will do somewhat lengthy stints in rural areas to provide additional care and assistance to those populations. But the idea remains the same: the majority of our core rotations will be here in the Delta.

Where there is flexibility is with elective rotations, namely fourth year, which can (and should) function as "audition" rotations. These will ideally be in locations that have residency programs that we as students are interested in studying in. The hope is to get face time with these residencies, so that come Match time, they rank us higher than other prospective residents who they have not personally met because they not only see our quantitative data, but they actually know us from teaching us for 4-8 weeks. I'm from Kansas City, Missouri, myself, so with a handful of residency programs in my desired field there I could essentially "go home" during those audition rotations, but I am effectively there to audition, not to "go home." If I was from somewhere else, like some-odd-town Iowa, I would not really get to go home because why would my school approve me to go there if it doesn't offer a forward movement towards a particular residency and also does not lend itself to benefitting the Delta? The difference may be if it was a rural town, which effectively matches the mission of NYIT-COM Jonesboro even if it isn't in the Delta, but still less likely.

We have a student here from NYC. She asked this early on about the accessibility of NY rotation sites. They are possible, as they have already been vetted for the purpose of Old Westbury, but it won't necessarily be free-reign to sign up to go up there. If you're looking at more urban medicine, I encourage you to apply to urban-based schools. Understand that there is a correlation between the population surrounding the school and the mission of the school - the selected locations are not an accident.

It is also true that with each passing year options are increasing. But again, these options are strategic in one way or another, and would have to be well justified if they are outside of the parameters set by NYIT-COM here in Jonesboro. There is an extensive vetting process for new locations to be allowed, and it can be difficult to do on an individual basis. Remember that NYIT-COM is responsible for ensuring your rotations result in quality learning, so they have to be sure that the attending there are capable of properly teaching to a specific set of goals AND evaluating you along the way. That is a lot of trust to give to an individual/group of individuals, so it is not given lightly. And this all hinges on another thing: having a physician in your home town willing to go through this vetting process and the administrative nightmare that is the paperwork. That's why current residency programs are safer bets - they are already set up for all of that.

I believe I still have the current list of 3rd/4th year approved sites. Anyone interested can PM me and I can try to dig them up for you.

I hope my response does not come across rude or condescending, I just want to be sure the info is out there as explained to us current students.

Wow!!! Thanks. You really clarified some doubts I had, and I think most people's as well. I am totally interested in stay in the Arkansas state, I liked it a lot since I am coming from a rural and smaller town, so I see Jonesboro as a potential hometown If I am selected. Thanks again

Those of you who interviewed, do you mind sharing when your secondary application was complete? Thank you!

Hello All,
I am interviewing with NYIT COM and am having a hard time figuring out what the interview is like and what the schedule is. Thank You

I am interviewing with NYIT COM and am having a hard time figuring out what the interview is like and what the schedule is. Thank You
The Interview is one to one, about 30 min. They should have sent you an email explaining the interview's day schedule. Check the spam folder, or call them...the staff is extremely nice....

Hi guys! Does anyone know what the avg MCAT score is for this program and if they prefer IS?
Interviewed at the Old Westbury campus on Tuesday, they said in the intro that last year's class had an average GPA of 3.65 and MCAT of 505. But of course it's important to remember this is an average, some are below and some are above. Most of the people in the room we're from NYS, but it's a private school, so they take people from all over. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
did anyone else not get a complete email but when you log in to the portal it says "application complete" ?

did anyone else not get a complete email but when you log in to the portal it says "application complete" ?
How are you logging into the portal? I thought NYIT-COM didn't have one..

Interviews going out today for NYIT NY Campus. Hoping for the best for everyone!

I heard from multiple friends that go there they give them out every Friday, and they seemed pretty confident about it... although Labor day might negate it thats how it is

I heard from multiple friends that go there they give them out every Friday, and they seemed pretty confident about it... although Labor day might negate it thats how it is
Don't happen to have a time to go along with that prediction do you? Would be greatly appreciated haha

Don't happen to have a time to go along with that prediction do you? Would be greatly appreciated haha
He said afternoon, but honestly now that I think about it labor day weekend might have ****ed it up... at least thats what I'm hoping cause haven't gotten one yet

This is my top choice and I was complete on July 17, and still have not heard anything back from the NY campus. Should I view it as a rejection? LizzyM ~62 and worked as a medical scribe for a DO and have a publication.

This is my top choice and I was complete on July 17, and still have not heard anything back from the NY campus. Should I view it as a rejection? LizzyM ~62 and worked as a medical scribe for a DO and have a publication.
I have been complete since 6/28 and I am still waiting. I called the admissions office yesterday. They could not offer a timeline and just said to continue to be patient.

Reactions: 1 users
He said afternoon, but honestly now that I think about it labor day weekend might have ****ed it up... at least thats what I'm hoping cause haven't gotten one yet

You ruined my day lol

Interviewing Oct 20th at the Jonesboro campus! Excited to meet some of you!

How are you logging into the portal? I thought NYIT-COM didn't have one..

I just went back to the portal that we log in for the secondary application and at the top it says "application complete." But I never got a formal email that actually said I was complete.

I just went back to the portal that we log in for the secondary application and at the top it says "application complete." But I never got a formal email that actually said I was complete.
I got a complete email 6/28 and II didn't come until 8/28. Just hang in there!

II this morning!!! Haven't called to get a date yet though bc I was at work. Complete end of June

Just finished my interview at the NY campus. It was very laid back, and everyone there was kind and helpful.

Reactions: 2 users
II just a bit ago for the Jonesboro campus. I need to call and confirm the date tomorrow. I was complete some time last week.

Just finished my interview at the NY campus. It was very laid back, and everyone there was kind and helpful.

Any advice? What was a difficult question? Etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any advice? What was a difficult question? Etc?

It was very relaxed. Both times I've visited the campus I've found that NYITCOM is a really positive and welcoming place. The interview is open application, conversational, and only about 30 min. I'd say have specific one or two liner about why you want to be a DO, what makes you unique, and why you would be a good fit for the school. Other than that, just thoroughly review your application beforehand and show up with a positive attitude and an open mind. You'll do great!

So today I got a Lage package from NYIT at Jonesboro. I got excited. Thought it was an acceptance(my interview was 8/25) turns out they forgot to give me my water bottle

Reactions: 3 users
It was very relaxed. Both times I've visited the campus I've found that NYITCOM is a really positive and welcoming place. The interview is open application, conversational, and only about 30 min. I'd say have specific one or two liner about why you want to be a DO, what makes you unique, and why you would be a good fit for the school. Other than that, just thoroughly review your application beforehand and show up with a positive attitude and an open mind. You'll do great!

Awesome, thank you so much for the information. It will be my first interview next week so I'm understandably anxious. This really made me feel a little better. Best of luck to you!

What are the chances of getting an II if you also interviewed here last cycle and never got off the waitlist? My app does have significant changes like volunteer and publications

II today for the Jonesboro campus. I live in rural Arkansas. Very non traditional student(mid 30s ten plus years as an EMT) 3.3 c/gpa 34 MCAT. Just took the new MCAT as some schools I applied to require it. I did not have the non science letter but I had my two science letters and one from a DO I shadowed

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have stats as to how many people interview vs accept for either campus (or both if they combine)

Is there a separate thread for westbury I'm not finding? It seems like this thread is heavily jonesboro. Congrats to those of your with interviews!

Is there a separate thread for westbury I'm not finding? It seems like this thread is heavily jonesboro. Congrats to those of your with interviews!
Barely any IIs have gone out to Westbury. Jonesboro has been sending them out like crazy.

Barely any IIs have gone out to Westbury. Jonesboro has been sending them out like crazy.
I noticed the same thing! I was complete for the NY campus at the end of June and I still have not heard back =/

Okay that is good to hear! I'm really hoping for Westbury so I was starting to get curious if I was just not on the best thread for it. Fingers crossed Westbury starts picking up the II soon :)

I have been complete at NYiT for a while, and stated preference for either campus on my secondary. However, should I worry that I have not heard anything, even Jonesboro, as a NY state resident? Is in-state residency for New York still applicable to Jonesboro campus given that NYiT main campus is based out of NY?

+1. Kinda laughed when I got this email because they did not accept any students within 1000 miles of my location in 2015. I also get a kick out of the Wayne State emails. Why would an MD school interview an applicant with a 3.1 GPA, 505 MCAT, OOS and ORM?
Because for the low low price of [a secondary fee] you're special, they promise!