2017-2018 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 on the II wave yesterday. Complete late July, LM71. Actually really happy for this one because the only family I have on the east coast just moved to New York.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they accept preinterview updates? If so how do I send them?

Anyone know how to get from LaGuardia airport to campus and back without spending $160+ on transportation??

Anyone know how to get from LaGuardia airport to campus and back without spending $160+ on transportation??
It is possible! Take public transit to grand central (bus to subway) and then take a train from grand central on the hudson line

Reactions: 1 users

I took one of the buses from La Guardia to some random train station (free for the week I was visiting) in the middle of queens (I think?), then took a train from there to a station near Manhattan ($2.50)that was only a few blocks from Grand Central. Took the train from GC to Valhalla ($10 off peak, if i remember correctly). Once I got to Valhalla I got an uber from the train station to my student host's place ($8). Luckily after the interview one of the other interviewee's drove me to the station so I saved money on an uber. On the way back to GC, the train ticket was a few more dollars because it was peak ($14?), and because I was short on time I took a shared van from GC to La Guardia ($18).

Total: just over $50 :) couldn't have done it without advice from my fellow sdn'ers!

Reactions: 4 users
~58%, 61% for IS and 55% for OOS

source: US News Rankings spreadsheet

Maybe I'm calculating things wrong, but looking off of MSAR it looks like 18% IS and 20% OOS were accepted post-II. Does the US news ranking have more accurate info about people that withdrew their acceptance etc.?

Maybe I'm calculating things wrong, but looking off of MSAR it looks like 18% IS and 20% OOS were accepted post-II. Does the US news ranking have more accurate info about people that withdrew their acceptance etc.?

I think you're looking at "matriculated:interviewed" which is a different statistic than "accepted:interviewed", since schools accept more students than they ultimately matriculate

Reactions: 4 users
How should I update them with my fall semester grades? Via email?

August, also still under review

Me too, completed early September, but heard nothing. At this late, they probably have an R for me, and I probably won't attend here. Still I paid $80 application fee, and wanted to learn how much they love me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Kinda late in the game.. submitted my secondary today haha *wipes sweat*

Forgive me for not wanting to scroll through this whole thread but to the people getting II's, are these post-hold status IIs? Thanks!

Have not heard anything since being complete here in early august. Are they receptive of in the area emails?

Does anyone know if NYMC is receptive to pre-II updates? Did some quick research on their website and emails but wasn't able to find anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I am planning on withdrawing from here after receiving an II earlier this week. There doesn't seem to be an option for me to withdraw on the portal like there is on other school's portals. Should I just send an email to mdadmit.nymc.edu?
Yep, that's fine! That's what I did for most withdrawals.

Unless things have changed since I interviewed (I'm an M3 at NYMC), they are receptive to pre-II updates via email. During my application cycle, I was complete in August, heard nothing for months (was never put on hold, which makes me wonder if they ever even looked at my application haha), emailed an update in Feb, got II less than 2 weeks later in March, interviewed mid-April, and was accepted 10 days later. There are at least 10 other people in my class who interviewed around the same time as me and were accepted outright.
I think NYMC is one of those schools that gets a huge number of applicants but a relatively low percentage of accepted students actually come here. (Not saying it's a bad school, just that it's a solid mid-tier.)
As for the MMI, having been in the role of both interviewee and interviewer, I would just say to read the prompt carefully and think (but don't overthink!) about what it is they are trying to find out about you from the question. Some are to see if you are informed about current issues in healthcare, some are to determine moral character, some are just to see if you have any personality. This isn't the time to impress the interviewer with your credentials (unless it's very relevant to the question); I don't want to hear a humblebrag summary of your entire CV, I just want you to answer the questions in the prompt.

Reactions: 7 users
Unless things have changed since I interviewed (I'm an M3 at NYMC), they are receptive to pre-II updates via email. During my application cycle, I was complete in August, heard nothing for months (was never put on hold, which makes me wonder if they ever even looked at my application haha), emailed an update in Feb, got II less than 2 weeks later in March, interviewed mid-April, and was accepted 10 days later. There are at least 10 other people in my class who interviewed around the same time as me and were accepted outright.
I think NYMC is one of those schools that gets a huge number of applicants but a relatively low percentage of accepted students actually come here. (Not saying it's a bad school, just that it's a solid mid-tier.)
As for the MMI, having been in the role of both interviewee and interviewer, I would just say to read the prompt carefully and think (but don't overthink!) about what it is they are trying to find out about you from the question. Some are to see if you are informed about current issues in healthcare, some are to determine moral character, some are just to see if you have any personality. This isn't the time to impress the interviewer with your credentials (unless it's very relevant to the question); I don't want to hear a humblebrag summary of your entire CV, I just want you to answer the questions in the prompt.

Couldn’t agree more with this. Basically same timeline for me and a bunch of my classmates (M2) had a similar timeline.

Do you remember if you sent the update via their portal? I sent an update via email and didnt get any response so I dont know if I should call and see if they got it or if they just do the silent treatment with updates.

They don’t always acknowledge the updates. If it’s important you can call and confirm it was added to your file.

II earlier today but will be withdrawing! Good luck to those waiting!

Reactions: 8 users
For those that interviewed, are the MMI Interviews done by faculty only or by medical students as well?
MMI interviewers include both faculty and students, as well as members of the community who may or may not be affiliated with the school. In general, what position they hold should not affect your responses.

I don’t really feel that is the case, but I wasn’t a student before. Plenty of us get great research either here or other places. It’s no Harvard but I think it’s been sufficient for graduates getting excellent residencies.

Reactions: 2 users
II today! IS applicant, complete 7/24

Reactions: 5 users
Is there an advantage to La Guardia as opposed to JFK? Also what do you think would be a reasonable departure time following the interview, I imagine the traffic gets a bit crazy during rush hour lol

I'm honestly not sure lol I just happened to get a flight into LGA. My flight left at 8:50pm and I think that's the earliest reasonable time. I got to LGA at 7:45 I'm pretty sure

Is there an advantage to La Guardia as opposed to JFK? Also what do you think would be a reasonable departure time following the interview, I imagine the traffic gets a bit crazy during rush hour lol
Fly into westchester if possible because rush hour is nuts on the Van Wyck. If Westchester Airport isn't an option, then LGA is better cause its a bit closer

LaGuardia is closer

I emailed them update letters but they never sent a confirmation.
I also emailed an update, received no confirmation, and eventually received an II. Not sure if they saw it, but hey maybe!

I sent in an update and never received a confirmation email. I called the office a while later and they said they had received it.

I wonder if Newark would be a good option for you guys since its already outside of city limits and you can travel around without passing through the city

I wonder if Newark would be a good option for you guys since its already outside of city limits and you can travel around without passing through the city

It may be; however, I drove from the Newark area to my interview which started at 8:45 AM. I thought it would only take me an hour or 1.5 hours at best. It ended up taking me 2 hours to arrive with traffic, and I was almost 20 minutes late to the breakfast. The traffic estimate was the same regardless of whether I drove through NJ or through upper Manhattan. Something to consider.

Accepted! Interviewed 11/9 and email came in about an hour and a half ago!