2017-2018 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else have trouble paying for the secondary app? Every time I try to submit my payment it gives me an error code but I know all the information is filled out correctly....
I got the error message yesterday, but the charge went through to my credit card, so I guess it did work!

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw that too but I am not quite sure if I can replace both UG science letters for Graduate science letters?

"Individual Letter Instructions
o One (1) letter from a faculty member in your graduate department is required who has either taught you in a graduate class or supervised independent research for which you received graduate credit.
o A letter from a graduate science faculty member can substitute for one (1) undergraduate science letter."

So both can be replaced or just one?

Did you find out about this? I have recent grad science coursework and 2 science LoR already, and no science LoR from my long ago undergrad days. So wondering if 2 grad science courses can suffice.

Did you find out about this? I have recent grad science coursework and 2 science LoR already, and no science LoR from my long ago undergrad days. So wondering if 2 grad science courses can suffice.

They said this is based on when you graduated from undergrad. So, I would call the admissions and talk to them directly.

For my case, I graduated in 2015 and they let me replace one of the UG science letters with a Grad science letter. I still have to obtain 1 UG letter.

Hope this helps!

**NVM** Jumped the gun. Figured it out. Disregard the following :)
Hey guys! I finished Grad school last year and am trying to enter my Graduate letters. However, the only place in which letters can be uploaded is clearly marked as "undergraduate letters". Does anyone know if there is a specially demarcated page/place for graduate letters, or whether we just upload them into the UG slots and explain in the course/college name that these are from our grad degree?!

Last edited:
Question: If I have not attended a graduate program, what do I put for the "Required Graduate LOR" for the secondary application ?

Question: If I have not attended a graduate program, what do I put for the "Required Graduate LOR" for the secondary application ?
I left it blank and I was able to submit the secondary without errors.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't feel bummed! It's possible! I know someone who got into NYMC last cycle with your exact same MCAT score and a 4.0 graduate school GPA. Is there a prompt for the secondary this year?

No prompt, they basically jut ask if you have immediately family members who work/went there and then they ask for you to identify your letter writers.

Does NYMC send "secondaries" to everyone? (I realize that there are no essays.) Those of you who have received your form, have you already taken CASPer?

I took CASPer in June since 2 of my programs require it. It was pretty annoying to be honest. I ran out of time for a few prompts and its frustrating that I'll never know my grade! I did a campus visit and spoke to someone in admissions who said "there's no right or wrong answers" but uhhhh obviously there is if we get a grade!

Can anyone answer this question?

I have a committee letter that has 7 LORs attached at the bottom of the committee letter, of which includes what NYMC would call "optional letters of evaluation". They strongly recommend "optional letters of evaluation". However, I'm not sure if I should leave that section blank then? What should I do? I might call/email the school and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone answer this question?

I have a committee letter that has 7 LORs attached at the bottom of the committee letter, of which includes what NYMC would call "optional letters of evaluation". They strongly recommend "optional letters of evaluation". However, I'm not sure if I should leave that section blank then? What should I do? I might call/email the school and ask.
Oh I didn't even think of that. I have a committee letter too but its a packet with five additional letters... I just said it was a committee letter and moved on oops ! lol

Could you get an interview invite prior to taking the Casper? Their website states you can move forward in the review process as long as you're eligible.

Could you get an interview invite prior to taking the Casper? Their website states you can move forward in the review process as long as you're eligible.
Pretty sure. As long as you're registered to take Casper.

Oh I didn't even think of that. I have a committee letter too but its a packet with five additional letters... I just said it was a committee letter and moved on oops ! lol

I did the same. I'm pretty sure that's all you need to do!

Reactions: 1 users
when you realize you're missing a non-science LOR and you graduated back in 2014..... hello cold calls.

Reactions: 3 users
when you realize you're missing a non-science LOR and you graduated back in 2014..... hello cold calls.

'If you graduated prior to 2015 (this does not include 2015), and are unable to obtain letters of evaluation from your undergraduate or graduate school, we will accept other academically oriented letters'

From the 'secondary instructions' pdf on the website. I think you'll be fine.

Regarding letters: obviously there's a lot of special scenarios regarding the requirements - the best bet is to send an email to admissions asking your question or explaining the scenario if you aren't sure what to do. The will get back to you. It's also not the end of the world if there's an initial mix up - I personally had a letter miscategorized and they contacted me to sort it out. Just make sure you're meeting the requirements to the best of your ability and verify it with the admissions office. There's no harm in asking a question.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
@sss1219 @21Rush12 Thanks! Skimmed through it pretty quickly and missed that part, obviously. I'll shoot an email to see whats up. I have plenty of letters, just all science and science related.

Any time, happy to help out with questions when I can!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hey guys, I graduated in '15 and don't have a LOR from a non-science faculty. I emailed NYMC and they replied saying I wasn't "non-traditional," and
"If you are still unable to provide the required evaluations due to extenuating circumstances, please email [email protected] when you have completed your secondary applciation, and include a detailed explanation as to why it is necessary to have the requirements waived. "

Do you think its still worth me submitting the secondary? I don't want to waste the secondary fee...and they don't seem very accommodating.
I emailed 8+ non-science faculty this past summer, but most of them have left the school or didn't email me back. Are those extenuating circumstances?

Hey guys, I graduated in '15 and don't have a LOR from a non-science faculty. I emailed NYMC and they replied saying I wasn't "non-traditional," and
"If you are still unable to provide the required evaluations due to extenuating circumstances, please email [email protected] when you have completed your secondary applciation, and include a detailed explanation as to why it is necessary to have the requirements waived. "

Do you think its still worth me submitting the secondary? I don't want to waste the secondary fee...and they don't seem very accommodating.
I emailed 8+ non-science faculty this past summer, but most of them have left the school or didn't email me back. Are those extenuating circumstances?
I think it might be worth it if you explain that you tried to contact professors and no one got back to you. It's not like you just didn't make any effort.

Then again, you just never know how tough admissions will be. If money's not tight, I say go for it. If it is, skip it-- the secondary is like, $120.

Also, seems kind of fishy to me that they won't give you a hard answer until you submit the secondary. It's almost like they just want to collect a donation from you, and then tell you they can't make any exceptions :shrug:

Makes me wonder what the criteria are to be considered "nontraditional". I graduated in 2012, is that far back enough? Lol

Makes me wonder what the criteria are to be considered "nontraditional". I graduated in 2012, is that far back enough? Lol

Same here, I'm going to give them a call either today or tomorrow.

I think it might be worth it if you explain that you tried to contact professors and no one got back to you. It's not like you just didn't make any effort.

Then again, you just never know how tough admissions will be. If money's not tight, I say go for it. If it is, skip it-- the secondary is like, $120.

Also, seems kind of fishy to me that they won't give you a hard answer until you submit the secondary. It's almost like they just want to collect a donation from you, and then tell you they can't make any exceptions :shrug:

Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking...

Hey there! I've been searching but I don't see a definitive answer... is there a maximum number of letters of recommendation we can send to NYCOM? MSAR said 6, but no where on the instructions or website does it say this. It says they will accept optional letters beyond the two you list on the secondary but not how many more. Thanks in advance!

nervous about CASPer today :x any advice/tips?
same here. There are some people suggesting they wish they would've prepared more after having taken CASPer. Hopefully this truly is a test that you don't suffer without much preparation.

nervous about CASPer today :x any advice/tips?

I've found most prompts will really require you to:
1) stay nonjudgmental/don't make assumptions, consider both sides before you make an action
2) speak with the person in a private setting to gain more info before doing anything rash
3) seek advice from past precedent or someone more experienced than you to gain more info on how to act

Of course all are pretty intuitive, but I guess it's important that you note that you're considering many aspects and not just jumping to conclusions

Reactions: 3 users
thank you both!! just hoping i get that 15 minute break halfway (saw some ppl didnt get their breaks) and that my computer and internet stay happy during the test. i use an external monitor for my laptop, so my webcam doesn't record my face straight on so i hope that isn't a problem. anyone read anywhere that it would be a problem if it's recording me not straight on?

Maybe sit in front of a mirror? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

LOL it'll be okay. thanks haha. one more question sorry if anyone can answer - do they tend to ask non-medical questions on CASPer? or are there mostly medical ethics questions? i noticed the sample test has non-medical related questions. on the other hand, non-casper sites have questions about HIV disclosure ethics. thanks for the help in advance!
From feedback from people who have taken it on here, many people said they barely had any medical questions. I think they will be more basic, because you are not expected to know much about medical ethics as a pre-med.

Am I the only one having trouble with getting the CASPer exam started right now?

Am I the only one having trouble with getting the CASPer exam started right now?

Nope, seems like it's on their end. I chatted in and got a 'sit tight' like 15 min ago, nothing has changed yet.

Nope, seems like it's on their end. I chatted in and got a 'sit tight' like 15 min ago, nothing has changed yet.

Having trouble here too! They said "hang tight and wait a few minutes" about 20 minutes ago

Oh okay. Yeah I was getting worried because I did everything I could to make sure it's not on my side. Thanks for your responses!

Edit: I really hope they don't do something like "oh we'll have to move you over to August 10th exam date."

Oh okay. Yeah I was getting worried because I did everything I could to make sure it's not on my side. Thanks for your responses!

Edit: I really hope they don't do something like "oh we'll have to move you over to August 10th exam date."

When I took it 2 years ago a bunch of people got booted off and they refunded all of us :D

But this was when schools didn't require the score to be complete so yes pls dear god do not postpone

When I took it 2 years ago a bunch of people got booted off and they refunded all of us :D

But this was when schools didn't require the score to be complete so yes pls dear god do not postpone

Two years ago... Is this your third cycle, or did you take a year off after your first cycle? This is my second cycle and I'm freaking out already :( I hope we both get in somewhere this cycle D:

My casper is frozen too! I got this message
"Hello,
Please hang tight and wait a few minutes."

Two years ago... Is this your third cycle, or did you take a year off after your first cycle? This is my second cycle and I'm freaking out already :( I hope we both get in somewhere this cycle D:

2nd, took the year off! Definitely not doing well with the wait for IIs either, old scars being reopened >_<

My casper is frozen too! I got this message
"Hello,
Please hang tight and wait a few minutes."

I hope we can trade in a refund for a 100% score if they extend one :D

4 minutes into my optional break... I'm already so over this test

So for CASPer, which "refresh" button are we supposed/not supposed to click on? I only see one "refresh" icon...

2nd, took the year off! Definitely not doing well with the wait for IIs either, old scars being reopened >_<

I hope we can trade in a refund for a 100% score if they extend one :D
seriously... waiting is more stressful than the test itself