2017-2018 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did people on the waitlist get a confirmation that they got your email confirming you want to be on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any insight into how this particular admission committee approaches deferral requests? They have some info on their website, and they say in the past that they've granted requests based on finishing a PhD program, or pursuing service opportunities (e.g. AmeriCorps). I'm curious if this should be taken as an exhaustive list, or if they would be more open-minded in granting requests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any insight into how this particular admission committee approaches deferral requests? They have some info on their website, and they say in the past that they've granted requests based on finishing a PhD program, or pursuing service opportunities (e.g. AmeriCorps). I'm curious if this should be taken as an exhaustive list, or if they would be more open-minded in granting requests.

This is something I’ve seen come up on the forums from time to time...I think it’s really handled on a case-by-case basis so I’d recommend getting in touch with admissions if you’re considering it.

Reactions: 1 users
Would you generally say that the clerkships at Westchester are better, or the clerkships in the city? I know this will undoubtedly be biased by the particular specialty at each location, but I just wanted to get a feel

Very specialty specific. Peds is very strong at WMC due to the children’s hospital. Most of the main services like medicine, surgery are good as well since it’s a huge referral center. In the city, Lenox hill tends to be good for medicine and surgery. Brookdale is great for most things if you’re willing to deal with the fact that it’s in east New York. You’ll get a lot of hands on training you won’t get at most NY hospitals.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone comment on the pre clinical curriculum here? Online it seems to be a pretty standard two year curriculum, but my notes from interview day seem to indicate that they are moving to a condensed pre clinical curriculum with earlier clerkships. Thanks!

My class as well as the current M3s have been pushing for a systems based or condensed preclinical curriculum. It’s definitely in the works, but I’m unsure of whether the upcoming class or the following cycle class will be the first to use it. I would definitely try to get in touch with the administration for more info.

My class as well as the current M3s have been pushing for a systems based or condensed preclinical curriculum. It’s definitely in the works, but I’m unsure of whether the upcoming class or the following cycle class will be the first to use it. I would definitely try to get in touch with the administration for more info.

Would you mind speaking about your experience with the current cirriculum and why you would advocate for changing it?

Would you mind speaking about your experience with the current cirriculum and why you would advocate for changing it?

The current curriculum has its strengths. It's been used and tweaked for a long time. Many many classes have used this formula and NYMC feels they have produced competent physicians this way. Concerns have arisen primarily due to the nature of Step 1 and Step 2 changing in recent years and becoming even more so more clinically oriented. Many students felt that the current curriculum wasn't directly tailored to the type of material found on Step 1. Personally, I think one can easily study for Step 1 alongside classes and still do fine, but of course improvement is always welcome. The main structural change we advocated for was an organ systems based approach rather than the traditional M1 normal vs. M2 pathology. Many of us felt that this would for one reduce the time it takes to cover all the material required for Step 1 allowing for more Step 1 dedicated study time as well as an earlier start to clinical clerkships. Additionally, it just makes more sense as learning the normal anatomy/physiology/etc alongside pathological variant makes the clinical context make more sense. The student affairs deans are fairly progressive and make a profound effort to incorporate student feedback at every level. In the four years i've been at NYMC they've continually improved the school in a ton of ways. I think this is a huge plus compared to other schools where the faculty don't really care what the students have to say.

I also wanted to add onto what I said earlier about clerkships. One of the main strengths of NYMC is its vast clinical clerkship network. Some students will opt to do everything at WMC, others will do everything at St. Josephs in Paterson; however, if you're willing to be a nomad during third year, you can rotate at a variety of hospitals all over the tristate area for your core clerkships as well as your SubIs as a fourth year. This enables students to have a diverse understanding of how healthcare is administered at the academic hospital vs. posh community hospital vs. safety net/trauma/community hospital.

I know the entire process is very overwhelming so if I can answer any questions please shoot them my way.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes, but I think everyone finds out via email first.

The person I responded to said they were waitlisted a couple posts up, so I don't know why they are asking about mail lol. I was waitlisted as well.

When can we expect some waitlist movement? Is it exclusively after traffic day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify— do we need to email NYMC before April 30th to say that we will attend? Or is the deposit and terms and conditions for acceptance form sufficient?

Just to clarify— do we need to email NYMC before April 30th to say that we will attend? Or is the deposit and terms and conditions for acceptance form sufficient?
I believe you just need to submit the deposit and terms of service, although you should also send your transcript in since they need that eventually.

I believe you just need to submit the deposit and terms of service, although you should also send your transcript in since they need that eventually.

Thanks! I sent those in a few months ago so I was wondering if I need to re-confirm my spot before Traffic Day.

The email says we have 2 weeks to respond...can anyone clarify if this means the April 30th deadline does not apply since the decision was sent so late?

Waitlisted
Not sure what to do. I already sent an extra letter of rec. Should I just spam them at this point so they know I'm interested? I don't have any valuable updates/new grades.

The email says we have 2 weeks to respond...can anyone clarify if this means the April 30th deadline does not apply since the decision was sent so late?
I believe the deadlines still apply. And btw, after traffic day if you hear back from other schools they usually give you a day or two to say yes or no

I believe the deadlines still apply. And btw, after traffic day if you hear back from other schools they usually give you a day or two to say yes or no
For anyone in the same situation, just an FYI I called and they said I have two weeks to decide like the email said. The deposit would just be non-refundable after the 30th, but you are not obligated to submit it before then.

Last edited:
Accepted this morning interviewed 3/22. 1st Acceptance. Could not be happier.

Reactions: 10 users
Also waitlisted....interviewed mid-late March. The wait continues... :/

I wonder if the 2 weeks to let them know if you're interested in the WL indicates that they won't accept off the WL for another 2 weeks.

Withdrew my acceptance and am peacing out. Good luck to the rest of you!

Waitlisted
Not sure what to do. I already sent an extra letter of rec. Should I just spam them at this point so they know I'm interested? I don't have any valuable updates/new grades.

Check out the waitlist FAQ posted a page or two ago — basically just confirm your spot on the waitlist and wait and see unless you have an update.

There is! You should get a link to join via email. If you have trouble let me know and I can PM you a link to ask to join.
I just got accepted today so do you think the email will be coming soon? If you could PM me the link too that be great!

I just got accepted today so do you think the email will be coming soon? If you could PM me the link too that be great!

I can’t say when the email would come — I’m not a part of any of the organization so I don’t know. Sometimes it’s a couple days, sometimes it’s weeks. It’s also mainly student run, and the second years are about to finish the semester and start dedicated, so sometimes things take a little longer.

They’re the bomb though, so I’m sure they’ll be as on top of it as possible.

I was accepted on Friday as well. My first acceptance after nothing but waitlists last cycle, and three more waitlists this cycle. I've just been trying to process that for the past 36 hours.

Reactions: 13 users
I was accepted on Friday as well. My first acceptance after nothing but waitlists last cycle, and three more waitlists this cycle. I've just been trying to process that for the past 36 hours.
Congratulations.. I can only imagine :) Good Luck!!

Just released my spot :( I loved it but instate tuition calls. I hope you beauties get it!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Can any current students share how often NYMC gives exams? Also any word on any and all changes for the upcoming class?

Can any current students share how often NYMC gives exams? Also any word on any and all changes for the upcoming class?

First year is structured so you have exams about every 2.5 weeks. Second year is every 5-6 weeks. I don’t have any specifics about the incoming class curriculum unfortunately, but if I find them I will keep you posted!

First year is structured so you have exams about every 2.5 weeks. Second year is every 5-6 weeks. I don’t have any specifics about the incoming class curriculum unfortunately, but if I find them I will keep you posted!

Thank you very much, Rush. You've been so helpful on this thread.

Reactions: 2 users