2017-2018 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No problem! You can all pay it forward when the time comes, that’s the NYMC way :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when finanical aid packages will be sent out ?

Not sure. But I called Office of Financial Planning yesterday to ask if there was an appropriate email I could send my stuff to, but they were quite insistent it come through snail mail... so I guess they're not in a rush (?)

Members don't see this ad :)

from a recent email, notifying me of the receipt of my financial forms:

The award processing for the 2022 class should be on or about the first week inJune, 2018. You would not be required to do anything else until then.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, has anyone seen movement at this school's waitlist yet?

For accepted students how do you apply for on campus housing?

Does that mean that people who are admitted to NYMC don't have to accept until June 1st?

The theory on the waitlist thread seems to be that the AAMC conference drew all of the ADCOM members through May 1st, so waitlist movements are delayed a bit this year.

No Clue. But it does mean that if students submit their deferment requests at the end of May there will be more waitlist spots opening up after they get processed.

Reactions: 1 user
No Clue. But it does mean that if students submit their deferment requests at the end of May there will be more waitlist spots opening up after they get processed.

Does the email mention the requirements to defer (medical illness, etc)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they'll care if I post the email, so here it is. I've redacted my identifying information as well as the identifying information of people who work at NYMC.

Dear [Redacted],

It has come to our attention that due to unforeseen circumstances some accepted students were unable to meet the May 1st deadline to
request deferring their entrance to medical school to the class entering 2019.

In consideration of this, we have extended the NYMC deferral deadline to JUNE 1st for ALL accepted students.

We recognize that a student's timeline to begin medical school can change over the course of the application cycle, and we feel it is important
to give all students the necessary time to make a thoughtful decision about deferring their matriculation.

If you wish to request a one-year deferral to the class entering 2019, please submit the following documentation by JUNE 1st to [Redacted],
[Redacted]:

(1) a letter with a detailed explanation about how you intend to use your time during the coming year
(2) a letter from the individual who will be supervising this activity confirming your plans

Please feel free to contact [Redacted] if you have any questions about the NYMC deferral process.

Sincerely,
[Redacted]

[Redacted]
Assistant Dean for Admissions
School of Medicine
New York Medical College
[email protected]

Reactions: 6 users
I don't think they'll care if I post the email, so here it is. I've redacted my identifying information as well as the identifying information of people who work at NYMC.

Interesting... seems pretty reasonable. Thanks for posting this.

Additional Info: I called in today because I'm stressed AF.

Move in day for grasslands 1 (Unfurnished) is July 27th.
Move in day for grasslands 2 (Furnished) is July 29th.
Health services packets and housing applications will go out mid-late may.
Individual bedrooms are assigned.

Smile guys, it’s gonna work out. The deferral change sounds like it just may open up a seat or two late in the game.

Waitlist will be moving soon, last year they started really moving around 5/10. Keep on trucking!

Reactions: 5 users
Do they email or call their accepted waitlisted people? I will be out of the country and will have my phone on airplane mode for a week (but email will be fine because wifi).

Do they email or call their accepted waitlisted people? I will be out of the country and will have my phone on airplane mode for a week (but email will be fine because wifi).
With the first round acceptances, they did email and mail. I think it'll be the same with wait list acceptances.

Does NYMC give out full scholarships? Has anyone had success in negotiating?

Has anyone gotten their Touro ID yet? They keep asking for it on forms but they haven't given me one

Has anyone gotten their Touro ID yet? They keep asking for it on forms but they haven't given me one
I haven't. I'm pretty sure it's for applying to housing second year.

Most of the forms say "If you know it" IIRC

@21Rush12 what is the likelihood that there has been movement since May 1, but none of them post on sdn lol

Haha very slim...things are delayed all over the place because of an AAMC meeting last week, and NYMC didn’t move last year until about 5/10 anyway. Things are probably right on track.

I feel like the admissions people at NYMC are all off partying somewhere and forgot about all of us....
:/

We demand waitlist movement. If our demands are not met within 24 hours, we will boycott this university by withdrawing our waitlisted applications.

/s, obviously

the time is now.png

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I wanted to get in on this action of complaining on no waitlist movement lol its been brutal!

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 6 users

Since we were on the topic of deferment, does anyone know if you request deferment after you’ve accepted the acceptance offer, or can you do it before you accept the offer? I know that for NYMC specifically waitlisted acceptees can’t request deferment anyways but was just wondering how that worked out. :thinking:

RIP waitlist movement 2018

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I wanted to get in on this action of complaining on no waitlist movement lol its been brutal!

Good luck everyone!

Phoning in and asking when waitlist movement will happen is always an option. You don't even need to tell them your name.

Keep on keeping on! I know how much it sucks to wait but every day gets closer and when it rains it pours!

Also, a seance is always an option if you’re willing to go supernatural.

Assuming they didnt meet the first week of May cause of the conference, and they took the second week off to catch up on work they missed... this is our week?

One would assume so. If not we're done for lol.

Alas, we sit upon a waitlist,
As our fate hangs hangs in the balance.
We hope and pray that the AdComs see
Only our great talents.

Nervous and forlorn.
As each day comes and goes
"This is our day," we could have sworn.

As anxiety keeps us awake.
Checking our inbox and this forum,
Hoping we are the ones they take!

Reactions: 13 users
Does anyone know if NYMC over-accepts? I wonder if that's what's going on here. Maybe that's why it's taking so long for them to take people off the WL.

Does anyone know if NYMC over-accepts? I wonder if that's what's going on here. Maybe that's why it's taking so long for them to take people off the WL.

According to US news data, for the 2016-2017 cycle they interviewed 1077 people and accepted 621 (including off the waitlist) to fill a class of 216. So yeah they definitely over accept but still had to pull from the waitlist for the past 5 or so years...

According to US news data, for the 2016-2017 cycle they interviewed 1077 people and accepted 621 (including off the waitlist) to fill a class of 216. So yeah they definitely over accept but still had to pull from the waitlist for the past 5 or so years...

Holy smokes!

Makes me sort of feel bad for them, actually...that's a lot of getting turned down!

Holy smokes!

Makes me sort of feel bad for them, actually...that's a lot of getting turned down!

That's actually pretty standard (NYMC 2.875 acceptance:matriculation ratio) and a lot of other MD schools are in the 2-3x range.

Reactions: 1 users
They must have a bunch of open slots in the class at this point in May. Makes me think they just haven’t met yet to discuss the waitlist. I predict there will be a huge movement this week.

But that's what we said last week.. and the week before that.. and what we'll say next week... and next month..

law-order-prison-prisons-gaol-prison_sentence-jail_time-bwhn1323_low.jpg

Reactions: 5 users