2017-2018 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm on the side that they're just taking their time. How could they overfill when so many comparable/better schools have been accepting people this month? It's not like NYMC is a lot of people's top choice either. There's got to be spots left. Ok, that's all I got. Back to worrying! :drowning:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
To borrow from my friend @bananafish94, they will pull from the waitlist or I will eat any hat of your choosing, even the propellor kind.

Last year they moved 5/10, and it’s only 5/15 now. With the proposed week delay from the AAMC meeting, they’re coming up on movement any day now.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't doubt that there will be movement. There always is. But how much is the question... I just think that if they really needed to fill seats they would have started moving earlier so there will be less movement this year.

To borrow from my friend @bananafish94, they will pull from the waitlist or I will eat any hat of your choosing, even the propellor kind.

Last year they moved 5/10, and it’s only 5/15 now. With the proposed week delay from the AAMC meeting, they’re coming up on movement any day now.

5 people reported coming off from 5/1-5/2 last year though which would still be a lot considering the report ratio of SDN.

I know absolutely nothing about this school, but I agree.

Can I pick the hat?

I just dropped my seat in favor of another school. Hopefully one of you gets a beautiful acceptance email soon :)

Reactions: 5 users
Hoping we all hear something in the next couple days. I'm going to call Thursday afternoon and see what's going on if not.

Reactions: 7 users
The facebook group for the NYMC accepted class of 2022 has 288 members.. Does anyone know how much the 2021 or 2020 facebook group had relative to this time last year?

Reactions: 1 user
You have all certainly heard the expression “good things come to those who wait.” Since our first days of pre-school, the virtue of patience has been constantly reinforced as a valuable trait. For years we have stood in lines and waited for our turns.
In the fast paced life of a physician, in which potential decisions must sometimes be made in a matter of seconds, patience is sometimes an undervalued trait. In the realm of medicine, “waiting” almost seems to be a dirty word for both patients and physicians alike.
Nowhere is this more evident than in the life of a medical school applicant, a life in which waiting for days, weeks, and even months at a time is commonplace. If you have ever applied to medical school, I am confident that you have spent more than your fair share of time waiting.
As pre-med students, we are notorious for our constant worrying and over-analysis of the most minute details and the long gaps in correspondence with medical schools do little to ease these anxieties. Months between application submissions, interview invitations, and potential acceptances often seem like cruel punishments to over-anxious pre-meds like ourselves who interpret no news as bad news.
I, like many other medical school applicants this year, was placed on a wait-list over the course of this past admissions cycle. I, like almost every other applicant placed onto a waitlist reacted to the news with a sense of disappointment, disenchantment, and (at best) a slight sense of hope. I, unlike many others was eventually admitted to the medical school of my dreams in a matter of days following my placement on a waitlist (twice to be exact).
Ironically enough, the only day out of the past eight months in which I did not fervently check my e-mail or anxiously pace to my mailbox since the submission of my primary application was the day I was accepted to medical school. The one day that I stopped trying to find what I was looking for, what I was looking for somehow found me.
The morning before I was accepted off a waitlist, I found myself coming to the realization that I would have to re-start the arduous work associated with the application cycle: re-taking the MCAT and re-submitting my primary application only days after I had graduated from college. The prospect of studying, writing, applying, and traveling for interviews again had been wearing on me over the course of the past several months.
As I usually do, I went to my neighborhood park to play a game of pick-up basketball to clear my head. About twenty minutes later, to my surprise, I saw my mom frantically walk by the court in a pace that suggested she had very good or very bad news (or had to find a bathroom ASAP). My surprise grew when my mom ran onto the court, stopping a game of basketball in its tracks to give me a hug and tell me I had just been accepted to medical school. I stopped, the game stopped, my mom grabbed me and tried her best to hug me (or squeeze the life out of me) and slowly, I realized what I had waited for since this past August had finally arrived, in May, multiple weeks after I had graduated college with no sure-fire post-graduate plans and plenty of anxiety.
The remainder of the day became a blur of congratulatory phone calls, text messages, and visits from neighbors. This euphoria created such a sense of stunned disbelief that I almost forgot to return my paperwork indicating I would actually accept my admission into the class of 2013 (a minor detail). Waking up with plans to begin studying for the MCAT again and eventually going to bed a soon-to-be medical school student made for quite the exciting day. I was honestly astounded by the good news I had almost given up hoping for.
It took nine months to the day for the secondary application I submitted in August to lead to an acceptance in May. The application, interview, and waitlist process certainly made the year seem like an eternity. Also, I like to think I took the longest possible path to my eventual acceptance. My application was put on hold after my initial secondary application submission, I received a post interview hold, and to top that off, I was placed on a waiting list following this marathon year of waiting and hoping.
It is tough to say if I honestly did believe I would get off my waitlist. Based off of anecdotal evidence from peers, friends, and professors, I thought my chances to get accepted off of a waitlist were one in a million (at best). Waitlist statistics are typically not released by medical schools, which are the sole institutions that know exactly how many students (if any) were admitted via waitlist. I have been told that not even AMCAS, the veritable treasure trove of pre-med statistics and semi-pertinent percentages possesses this information.
The entire situation repeated itself two weeks later in a much less dramatic fashion when I eventually received the same good news at the second school where I was wait-listed. I could not believe my good fortune. While I do not know the exact probability of these two independent events occurring, it seems to be a very rare occurrence. The utter surprise I felt in getting accepted off of my initial waitlist became a sense of sheer disbelief when the process repeated itself.
By no means do I intend for this article to sound like a personal pat on the back, congratulating myself on my two, equally miraculous waitlist acceptances. I believe readers can search various SDN acceptance threads for that type of writing. I find myself writing this for a much different purpose. In writing this, I hope to give a sense of hope to those currently on waitlists or those who may soon find themselves on a waitlist at some point in the application cycle. Additionally, August is an interesting point for applicants in the medical school process. Past year’s applicants who have been wait-listed find themselves still hoping (with good reason) for a last minute acceptance into a medical school class beginning this year while a number of current year applicants are just beginning what could potentially be a very long application cycle. It is a busy, stressful time for applicants both former and current.
Reflecting on the process, our teachers and parents may have been right about this whole waiting thing, as much as it hurts me to admit. I consider myself a habitually impatient and multitasking person, but patience is the key to surviving the medical school application process. In my experience, I have found it is true what they say; good things come to those who wait, or in my case, to those who are wait-listed.

Reactions: 2 users
You have all certainly heard the expression “good things come to those who wait.” Since our first days of pre-school, the virtue of patience has been constantly reinforced as a valuable trait. For years we have stood in lines and waited for our turns.
In the fast paced life of a physician, in which potential decisions must sometimes be made in a matter of seconds, patience is sometimes an undervalued trait. In the realm of medicine, “waiting” almost seems to be a dirty word for both patients and physicians alike.
Nowhere is this more evident than in the life of a medical school applicant, a life in which waiting for days, weeks, and even months at a time is commonplace. If you have ever applied to medical school, I am confident that you have spent more than your fair share of time waiting.
As pre-med students, we are notorious for our constant worrying and over-analysis of the most minute details and the long gaps in correspondence with medical schools do little to ease these anxieties. Months between application submissions, interview invitations, and potential acceptances often seem like cruel punishments to over-anxious pre-meds like ourselves who interpret no news as bad news.
I, like many other medical school applicants this year, was placed on a wait-list over the course of this past admissions cycle. I, like almost every other applicant placed onto a waitlist reacted to the news with a sense of disappointment, disenchantment, and (at best) a slight sense of hope. I, unlike many others was eventually admitted to the medical school of my dreams in a matter of days following my placement on a waitlist (twice to be exact).
Ironically enough, the only day out of the past eight months in which I did not fervently check my e-mail or anxiously pace to my mailbox since the submission of my primary application was the day I was accepted to medical school. The one day that I stopped trying to find what I was looking for, what I was looking for somehow found me.
The morning before I was accepted off a waitlist, I found myself coming to the realization that I would have to re-start the arduous work associated with the application cycle: re-taking the MCAT and re-submitting my primary application only days after I had graduated from college. The prospect of studying, writing, applying, and traveling for interviews again had been wearing on me over the course of the past several months.
As I usually do, I went to my neighborhood park to play a game of pick-up basketball to clear my head. About twenty minutes later, to my surprise, I saw my mom frantically walk by the court in a pace that suggested she had very good or very bad news (or had to find a bathroom ASAP). My surprise grew when my mom ran onto the court, stopping a game of basketball in its tracks to give me a hug and tell me I had just been accepted to medical school. I stopped, the game stopped, my mom grabbed me and tried her best to hug me (or squeeze the life out of me) and slowly, I realized what I had waited for since this past August had finally arrived, in May, multiple weeks after I had graduated college with no sure-fire post-graduate plans and plenty of anxiety.
The remainder of the day became a blur of congratulatory phone calls, text messages, and visits from neighbors. This euphoria created such a sense of stunned disbelief that I almost forgot to return my paperwork indicating I would actually accept my admission into the class of 2013 (a minor detail). Waking up with plans to begin studying for the MCAT again and eventually going to bed a soon-to-be medical school student made for quite the exciting day. I was honestly astounded by the good news I had almost given up hoping for.
It took nine months to the day for the secondary application I submitted in August to lead to an acceptance in May. The application, interview, and waitlist process certainly made the year seem like an eternity. Also, I like to think I took the longest possible path to my eventual acceptance. My application was put on hold after my initial secondary application submission, I received a post interview hold, and to top that off, I was placed on a waiting list following this marathon year of waiting and hoping.
It is tough to say if I honestly did believe I would get off my waitlist. Based off of anecdotal evidence from peers, friends, and professors, I thought my chances to get accepted off of a waitlist were one in a million (at best). Waitlist statistics are typically not released by medical schools, which are the sole institutions that know exactly how many students (if any) were admitted via waitlist. I have been told that not even AMCAS, the veritable treasure trove of pre-med statistics and semi-pertinent percentages possesses this information.
The entire situation repeated itself two weeks later in a much less dramatic fashion when I eventually received the same good news at the second school where I was wait-listed. I could not believe my good fortune. While I do not know the exact probability of these two independent events occurring, it seems to be a very rare occurrence. The utter surprise I felt in getting accepted off of my initial waitlist became a sense of sheer disbelief when the process repeated itself.
By no means do I intend for this article to sound like a personal pat on the back, congratulating myself on my two, equally miraculous waitlist acceptances. I believe readers can search various SDN acceptance threads for that type of writing. I find myself writing this for a much different purpose. In writing this, I hope to give a sense of hope to those currently on waitlists or those who may soon find themselves on a waitlist at some point in the application cycle. Additionally, August is an interesting point for applicants in the medical school process. Past year’s applicants who have been wait-listed find themselves still hoping (with good reason) for a last minute acceptance into a medical school class beginning this year while a number of current year applicants are just beginning what could potentially be a very long application cycle. It is a busy, stressful time for applicants both former and current.
Reflecting on the process, our teachers and parents may have been right about this whole waiting thing, as much as it hurts me to admit. I consider myself a habitually impatient and multitasking person, but patience is the key to surviving the medical school application process. In my experience, I have found it is true what they say; good things come to those who wait, or in my case, to those who are wait-listed.
Cute story but uhhh where's the fkn waitlist movement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cute story but uhhh where's the fkn waitlist movement?

The facebook group for the NYMC accepted class of 2022 has 288 members.. Does anyone know how much the 2021 or 2020 facebook group had relative to this time last year?
That's a scary number since the class is only 216. I haven't looked at any of these groups, so I have no idea if that's normal. Hopefully people just forgot to leave the group after they withdrew.

That's a scary number since the class is only 216. I haven't looked at any of these groups, so I have no idea if that's normal. Hopefully people just forgot to leave the group after they withdrew.

A lot of that number is probably upperclassmen answering questions but it's still pretty bad. Although NYMC does over accept significantly and maybe people just didn't leave the facebook group.

All my other waitlist schools have facebook groups that are smaller than the class size and have been gradually increasing since traffic day.

All my other waitlist schools have facebook groups that are smaller than the class size and have been gradually increasing since traffic day.
Maybe the reason why they extended the deadline to defer enrollment is because not enough people withdrew and they can't take everyone.

screams internally.png

Last edited:
I'm just here to fuel the paranoia until waitlist spots come up.

What if they realized their largest lecture hall only has 199 spots, and so their original class size of 208 was actually too big and they needed to cut 9 spots before matriculation?

I just called and they said currently there are no spots available, but registration isn't until July 30th so there is still hope for people to drop or accept other offers.

Reactions: 4 users
You were right, worst case scenario for this waitlist

Yup.. now we know why they extended the deferral deadline. I doubt that many seats will open up by July 30th since the momentum of traffic day is already over.

Shows over, everyone go home.

I just called and they said currently there are no spots available, but registration isn't until July 30th so there is still hope for people to drop or accept other offers.
Damn. Of my wait lists, I thought this was my best shot. Hopefully we get in somewhere else. Thanks for the help.

Yup.. now we know why they extended the deferral deadline. I doubt that many seats will open up by July 30th since the momentum of traffic day is already over.

=((
I was being overly optimistic thinking they were just waiting it out so that they can accept people who will enroll for sure.

I really don't think that's the reason they extended the deadline to defer. People aren't just going to defer because they have more time to do it.

It was similar, but this number doesn’t really reflect anything. There’s a ton of current students from first and second year in it, and there’s not a rigorous process for kicking people out when they withdraw.

I want to still be hopeful here so bad ):

It blows my mind they overfilled their class. I remember towards the end of March, they told my interview group they may be adding another interview day in early April. In my mind, that meant they hadn't accepted enough yet or weren't confident in the current standing of their acceptances/waitlists. I was hopeful that was good news for us waitlistee's ):

Again — I doubt the class is ‘overfilled’ in any way that’s different from previous years, as there’s not been any evidence to suggest that is the case. Most schools overaccept because of multiple acceptances, it’s never been a problem in the past.

This is all so strange. I was on one of the final interview days, and they assured our group that even if we were to get waitlisted, we shouldn't worry since there is plenty of movement. I'm already going to another school, but I do wonder what is going on.

Oh, so they just said that they haven't moved anyone off yet, not that they wouldn't move anyone off in the future.

Yeah but probably very few people. For all we know they still have a small buffer of over accepted people they have to go through first before even touching the waitlist.

Last edited:
Got my TouroID today.

Not sure about everyone else, but I received an email from financial aid on the 21st (In my NYMC email) saying there was additional paperwork I needed to do for my aid within 2 weeks. I wouldn’t want anyone to miss out on that and somehow miss an aid deadline.

Edit: I’m actually not sure if I need to submit paperwork, because I have 20 emails from financial aid each of which says I either need to submit paperwork or that my aid is ready. I’ll call in and update everyone later today.

Last edited:
Were you able to validate your ID?
Got my TouroID today.

Not sure about everyone else, but I received an email from financial aid on the 21st (In my NYMC email) saying there was additional paperwork I needed to do for my aid within 2 weeks. I wouldn’t want anyone to miss out on that and somehow miss an aid deadline.

Edit: I’m actually not sure if I need to submit paperwork, because I have 20 emails from financial aid each of which says I either need to submit paperwork or that my aid is ready. I’ll call in and update everyone later today.

Is anyone else having trouble validating their account?

Yes, you have to go to the page and scroll down to where it says first time user. Then enter your data.
Is anyone else having trouble validating their account?

Yeah mine wouldn't validate. Tried the suggestion of putting in Jan 1 for DOB and 0000 for last four of SSN, but that didn't work either. Currently in an email thread with the Touro help desk...

Yeah mine wouldn't validate. Tried the suggestion of putting in Jan 1 for DOB and 0000 for last four of SSN, but that didn't work either. Currently in an email thread with the Touro help desk...
Server was pretty wonky when I was trying to log in a few times, so it might be that.

On another note: The only thing you need to do with the financial aid is accept the terms and conditions and tell them how much funds you want disbursed. The disbursement day is July 20th though, so there is some time for that.

Able to log in now, but I don't have any financial aid emails- anyone else in the same boat?

Able to log in now, but I don't have any financial aid emails- anyone else in the same boat?
yep! Got into the email, but nothing FA related. My TouroID wouldn't work initially because they gave me the wrong number in the email. Nice.

yep! Got into the email, but nothing FA related. My TouroID wouldn't work initially because they gave me the wrong number in the email. Nice.
Glad you got it fixed! Hope we get some financial aid news soon

Glad you got it fixed! Hope we get some financial aid news soon
Well you can see your financial aid package online already. You just need to go to the TuoroOne Portal then select Financial Services from the bar on the left hand side.

That'll take you to the financial aid page, and you can select "Financial Aid Awards" from the second box on the left side.

That'll open a new page and you need to switch the dropbox to the 2018-2019 aid year.

A few questions for current students about computers - Are the textbooks available online? it says on the website that a computer less than a year old is required; does everyone follow this? Do you or anyone you know use an ipad pro? Do you have any opinion on the ipad pro?