2017-2018 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A few questions for current students about computers - Are the textbooks available online? it says on the website that a computer less than a year old is required; does everyone follow this? Do you or anyone you know use an ipad pro? Do you have any opinion on the ipad pro?

Ignore the computer nonsense. If yours works keep it. I love the iPad Pro personally and for in-house exams it’s the best platform. A laptop is still required for NBME exams because you need to use a secure browser that they still don’t have an iPad version of.

Don’t buy ANY BOOKS until you get here. There’s a huge used book sale to benefit on campus organizations and you can get secondhand books for like $15.

Resist the urge to buy a stethoscope also; you get one free (Littmann Cardio 3) and they’ll engrave it for $10.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Ignore the computer nonsense. If yours works keep it. I love the iPad Pro personally and for in-house exams it’s the best platform. A laptop is still required for NBME exams because you need to use a secure browser that they still don’t have an iPad version of.

Don’t buy ANY BOOKS until you get here. There’s a huge used book sale to benefit on campus organizations and you can get secondhand books for like $15.

Resist the urge to buy a stethoscope also; you get one free (Littmann Cardio 3) and they’ll engrave it for $10.

As always, thank you for the great information!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think a big wave of WL acceptances will happen at some point? Or are we just praying for a trickle here and there due to a handful of withdrawals?

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think a big wave of WL acceptances will happen at some point? Or are we just praying for a trickle here and there due to a handful of withdrawals?
I'm holding out hope for that big wave

Unfortunately, the admissions office has been fairly vocal about the class being full at the moment. I do know that some medical schools don't begin waitlist movement until June, which could mean more spots could open up at NYMC as current accepted students may choose acceptances elsewhere when that movement occurs.

So long story short, if if/when there is movement here, I expect most of it to come in June (not much, but a little) and then a trickle throughout the rest of summer.
Its all very odd no? Given that NYMC class usually takes ~75 students from their waitlist.

It is definitely very abnormal for there to be this little movement so far into the summer. Maybe they over-accepted this year or an unusual amount of students matriculated. Either way, it's disappointing for us waitlistees :(

I'll probably call them some time next week to see if they expect movement down the line.

It is definitely very abnormal for there to be this little movement so far into the summer. Maybe they over-accepted this year or an unusual amount of students matriculated. Either way, it's disappointing for us waitlistees :(

Perhaps this is why they extended the deferral deadline

Last edited:
Hey all,

Is anyone nervous about not being able to get on-campus housing? I submitted mine a few days after it was first released. I'm wondering if it's worth calling the admissions office about which (unfurnished vs furnished) that I'm likely to get. I'd rather buy plane tickets earlier than later so it's cheaper. Thanks!

Hey all,

Is anyone nervous about not being able to get on-campus housing? I submitted mine a few days after it was first released. I'm wondering if it's worth calling the admissions office about which (unfurnished vs furnished) that I'm likely to get. I'd rather buy plane tickets earlier than later so it's cheaper. Thanks!

I’ve heard that unless you apply super late, you’re likely to get the housing you want.

Is anyone else in this same situation:

Got an email from this morning Touro that I'm missing some FA information. Went to TouroOne, but the info they say I'm missing I definitely completed, and confirmed that I completed it on my FSA account. Also, received an email Friday that my award was ready to accept-- which I did-- but this morning they say they sent out test emails to some students. So now I have no clue where I stand in terms of receiving/accepting my FA award.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else in this same situation:

Got an email from this morning Touro that I'm missing some FA information. Went to TouroOne, but the info they say I'm missing I definitely completed, and confirmed that I completed it on my FSA account. Also, received an email Friday that my award was ready to accept-- which I did-- but this morning they say they sent out test emails to some students. So now I have no clue where I stand in terms of receiving/accepting my FA award.

I’m in the same exact situation - I completed everything and have the confirmation emails for the forms. I emailed support and they asked for the confirmation emails, which I sent, but it’s nice to hear I’m not the only one who this happened to

I’m in the same exact situation - I completed everything and have the confirmation emails for the forms. I emailed support and they asked for the confirmation emails, which I sent, but it’s nice to hear I’m not the only one who this happened to

Same here, I just went on the FAFSA website and resent the completion notice on each item NYMC said was missing, hopefully that works

Same here, I just went on the FAFSA website and resent the completion notice on each item NYMC said was missing, hopefully that works

I had that problem about 2 months ago. I’m pretty neurotic though, so I called in to their office and they said that sometimes their server doesn’t download the completions. They were able to search me and pull it up immediately, though.

I had that problem about 2 months ago. I’m pretty neurotic though, so I called in to their office and they said that sometimes their server doesn’t download the completions. They were able to search me and pull it up immediately, though.
I called and they told me that the requirements will show complete once I accept my loans. Which seem backwards to me, but who knows...

Does anyone know anything about the Early Assurance Program? I was accepted for next year from this years waitlist

Does anyone know anything about the Early Assurance Program? I was accepted for next year from this years waitlist
So you were on the wait list, and they offered you admittance for 2019? I've heard of early assurance, but not from a wait list. That's awesome!

So is the class so overfilled they are deferring waitlist people to next year?

Yes, I was on the waitlist and accepted for 2019.

I got the email yesterday

Did you do anything or indicate something [somewhere]? Or did you have absolutely no idea this existed until you got the email?

Reactions: 2 users
So is the class so overfilled they are deferring waitlist people to next year?

I'm extremely curious about this. And if that is the case, what was so different this cycle (compared to previous years) that caused this overfill?

I'm extremely curious about this. And if that is the case, what was so different this cycle (compared to previous years) that caused this overfill?

Idk maybe they over interviewed and had to waitlist people they really wanted to take, so now they feel bad.

I had one of the last interview days and they told us they were thinking about ADDING an additional interview day in early April. Which totally does not make sense to me now, knowing that they've had a problem with over-accepting this cycle. It sounds like they really were not expecting this many students to matriculate.

It doesn’t necessarily have to be an overaccepting problem as much as miscalculating yield.

If more people hold the acceptance than they expect, then there are less waitlist spots.

If you have out 250 acceptances, expecting 60% hold so you can accept 50 off the waitlist then it turns out that 80% hold, you have no room.

I had one of the last interview days and they told us they were thinking about ADDING an additional interview day in early April. Which totally does not make sense to me now, knowing that they've had a problem with over-accepting this cycle. It sounds like they really were not expecting this many students to matriculate.

Several interview days were canceled this year due to snow. I think that was the reason for considering an extra date (which didn’t happen afaik)

plz don't go here if you can avoid it. everyone I know who goes here is miserable >90% of the time and bogged down with unnecessary info you don't need for step 1. For God's sake and your mental health choose another school

plz don't go here if you can avoid it. everyone I know who goes here is miserable >90% of the time and bogged down with unnecessary info you don't need for step 1. For God's sake and your mental health choose another school

Perhaps a troll who wants accepted students to drop their seats to make room for us peasants on the waitlist? If so, it was a valiant, but miserable effort.

Perhaps a troll who wants accepted students to drop their seats to make room for us peasants on the waitlist? If so, it was a valiant, but miserable effort.

Gunners gonna gun.

More people than last year chose NYMC over their other options. While it isn't an impossibility that someone could get off the waitlist, the movement will be a droplet, not a wave.

More people than last year chose NYMC over their other options. While it isn't an impossibility that someone could get off the waitlist, the movement will be a droplet, not a wave.
Honestly, NYMC did a spectacular job selling itself in my opinion. I'm not surprised so many people chose it.

I had other MD interviews I didn't even attend because I liked NYMC so much.

did you ask any other medical student anywhere? med school sucks, in general. The people don't, and you'll make friends and have fun but if you dont plan on spending most of your free time studying then you're in for a treat. NYMC is awesome and I chose it over several other MD options.

Reactions: 4 users

I'm guessing ~10-15 people total over June till the end of July including the 1-2 people who always drop last minute before orientation.

I'm guessing ~10-15 people total over June till the end of July including the 1-2 people who always drop last minute before orientation.
It's possible, but I wouldn't stake your hopes on it if you weren't accepted elsewhere.
Sounds about right. VERY unusual year this year for NYMC waitlist.

They’ve either really improved accepting their target students, really improved as a school so more people are staying with them, or it was much harder to get in elsewhere so nobody turned them down.

Last edited:
It's possible, but I wouldn't stake your hopes on it if you weren't accepted elsewhere.

They’ve either really improved accepting their target students, really improved as a school so more people are staying with them, or it was much harder to get in elsewhere so nobody turned them down.

I think a little of column A, B, and C.

They just sent out class registration for first years and there’s 217 people on the email.

I’m guessing that means there are no waitlist spots at the moment.

Is it concerning that if we haven't gotten this email yet? I got an email about being able to accept my financial aid reward, but nothing about class registration?

Is it concerning that if we haven't gotten this email yet? I got an email about being able to accept my financial aid reward, but nothing about class registration?
It's in the NYMC email. Got it this morning. It looked like the whole class was added, but you could all. It basically just linked to the registrar's website telling you which courses to add on your TuoroOne Portal.

Here's the link: 2018-2019 First Year Registration

Has anyone heard from Housing yet?
I remember hearing that they give out room and roommate assignments in late June/Early July.

So there might be a bit of time before we hear.

Edit: From NYMC Housing Website: Housing assignments and other pertinent information regarding the move-in procedures will be sent via email in mid-July.

I remember hearing that they give out room and roommate assignments in late June/Early July.

So there might be a bit of time before we hear.

Edit: From NYMC Housing Website: Housing assignments and other pertinent information regarding the move-in procedures will be sent via email in mid-July.

Ah, gotcha. I'm a current student looking to sublet an unfurnished 2br.

Feel free to send me a message when the time comes if anyone needs housing come August.

It's in the NYMC email. Got it this morning. It looked like the whole class was added, but you could all. It basically just linked to the registrar's website telling you which courses to add on your TuoroOne Portal.

Thanks!! Where did you guys get the login info for your email btw? Sorry for the stupid questions lol. I got my log info for the Touro Portal but I don't see anything for the actual NYMC email?

Thanks!! Where did you guys get the login info for your email btw? Sorry for the stupid questions lol. I got my log info for the Touro Portal but I don't see anything for the actual NYMC email?

I had a similar issue. After you click the NYMC email icon on the touroone homepage, it will prompt you for a username and password. Your username is your user name for the touroone login with @nymc.edu at the end. (eg presents1@ nymc.edu) Your password is the same as the touroone login. If it says there is no account, call the IT at NYMC, they will set it up for you.
Hope this helps!