2017-2018 New York University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The multiple acceptance report includes waitlisted applicants too??

Members don't see this ad.

Lol I find it intresting too that their decision date is right before the multiple acceptance report. They can see all the schools where the accepted/waitlisted people have been accepted to. I wonder if that plays a factor for us waitlisted individuals.

what date is the multiple acceptance report? how do you think it will factor? i like anything that gives me more hope.

Lol I find it intresting too that their decision date is right before the multiple acceptance report. They can see all the schools where the accepted/waitlisted people have been accepted to. I wonder if that plays a factor for us waitlisted individuals.

There is a thread on this and the ultimate answer is no, nobody cares except for calculating admissions stats long down to road right before orientation day.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a thread on this and the ultimate answer is no, nobody cares except for calculating admissions stats long down to road right before orientation day.

also mind you that Feb 1st, they can only see the acceptances of their ACCEPTED people. I think way later on (April?) they can see acceptances of everyone who applied. So before April, we have nothing to worry about. They will have no new added info about us.

Reactions: 1 user

This is only a hypothesis. But because there is a thread on it doesnt mean that all schools dont care about it. If nobody actually cared, I wonder why they have a report like that in the first place.

report like that in the first place.

to perhaps help predict yield and shape admissions for the following year. Maybe more like an afterthought. i do agree that i don't know, but I did ask that question in a thread, and @gonnif had an answer.

Waitlisted as well. Relieved to have dodged the rejection train... for now.

also mind you that Feb 1st, they can only see the acceptances of their ACCEPTED people. I think way later on (April?) they can see acceptances of everyone who applied. So before April, we have nothing to worry about. They will have no new added info about us.
Oh I didnt know it was only for schools that accepted you. Nvm then!

Waitlisted today. Interviewed early December. Stats in signature.

Edit: This was my signature at the time:
Class of 2022!
MD Schools:
19 cGPA: 3.99 MCAT: 521 LizzyM: 77.9
Pre-II: H 1 | R 8 | WD 3
II 6 | IA 5 | A 2 | WL 1 | R -
Canadian Schools (dual citizen): 4 | R 2 | II 2 | A - | WL -

Last edited:
I don't get the "not Sympathy" WL. It seems that on this thread 90% of people got WL.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't get the "not Sympathy" WL. It seems that on this thread 90% of people got WL.

I think someone mentioned that given their recent rise to top 12, they give out fewer outright acceptances because it's likely fewer people will decline than when they were at 30th (makes perfect sense), so they don't overbook. so whereas before if they handed out say 300 accepts for 200 seats (totally made up numbers) expecting 100 declines, now they hand out 250/200. so the remaining 50 that would've gotten accepts are now on the WL

anyway i don't think we should read too much into it. it'll happen or it won't :p

Last edited:
Waitlisted ayee. I interviewed in december, on the last possible week...

Not sure how much of a difference it will make, but I'm thinking about writing a letter of intent (or at least interest). What do y'all think, would it be a good idea to mention that I am very much interested in their 3 year program? I am leaning towards a specialty that is a relatively uncommon choice/less competitive for residency.

Congrats to everyone who was accepted btw!! Everyone else on my interview day seemed really cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still nothing MD/PhD. Bracing for WL/R?

I wonder if it's just selection bias and that more people are likely to report waitlisting than rejecting? Either way I'm gonna try to stay positive. The dean was super adamantly against false waitlisting on my interview day so I can only stick to that

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if it's just selection bias and that more people are likely to report waitlisting than rejecting? Either way I'm gonna try to stay positive. The dean was super adamantly against false waitlisting on my interview day so I can only stick to that
I heard the same too. I have a feeling they accepted less initially with them reducing class size and waitlisting more. Last year there were a lot more reported acceptances too.

WAITLIST TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES

conductor.jpg

JK, JK <3 you Raf

Reactions: 14 users
Accepted today at around noon via email!!!! Couldn’t be more excited! :soexcited: Interviewed early Oct and I was CONVINCED I had bombed the interview.

Anyways, I decided to take a nap about an hour ago to celebrate my acceptance, and they happened to call during that time. :smack:

Reactions: 9 users
WOW I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, I thought I bombed the interview... and I did. Rejected.

Reactions: 27 users
Yo same interviewed in November and I'm just living in nervous silence

Called to ask where they were in their process. Heard from MD/PhD that they are still making decisions and will wrap up around mid to late February.

Accepted via email, didn’t get a call. Congrats to those with good news and those who got the closure they needed!

Reactions: 4 users
Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
FWIW, my tour guide was wait listed as were all 3 of his roommates. So there is hope, which is awesome because if I were to get accepted off the wait list I would definitely go!

Reactions: 8 users
Being waitlisted at your top choice sure is a terrible feeling :(

Definitely. But slightly better than being rejected. I really thought I was going to be rejected, so I feel surprisingly relieved right now.

I really hope you get off the wait list!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
...so to change the topic...

When does NYU begin to consider the 3-year applications for those accepted?

I feel you bro, i think i'm gonna be sending in a letter of intent with critical updates some time in late Feb / early march just to avow my loyalty

What is the timeline for sending letters of intent/updates when you're on the waitlist? And is NYU receptive these emails? I remember the dean saying something about ignoring letters of interest pre-decision, but I wasn't sure if that changed after being put on the waitlist.

What is the timeline for sending letters of intent/updates when you're on the waitlist? And is NYU receptive these emails? I remember the dean saying something about ignoring letters of interest pre-decision, but I wasn't sure if that changed after being put on the waitlist.

The dean definitely specifically said to not submit any Letters of Intent. He didn't say anything about providing updates, though. I guess if you do have an update, you could slip in a line or two expressing your strong interest in going to NYU.

The dean definitely specifically said to not submit any Letters of Intent. He didn't say anything about providing updates, though. I guess if you do have an update, you could slip in a line or two expressing your strong interest in going to NYU.
Did he say anything about letters of continued interest as opposed to intent? I agree I heard him say that he didn't take letters of intent that seriously. But it seems like it would make sense to at least show that, after boarding the waitlist train, I'm still actively interested in getting off it.

Did he say anything about letters of continued interest as opposed to intent? I agree I heard him say that he didn't take letters of intent that seriously. But it seems like it would make sense to at least show that, after boarding the waitlist train, I'm still actively interested in getting off it.

I mean, I think everyone who took the time to interview here and pay for this expensive application would infact be interested as well to get off the waitlist, regardless if they are accepted elsewhere lol.

I mean, I think everyone who took the time to interview here and pay for this expensive application would infact be interested as well to get off the waitlist, regardless if they are accepted elsewhere lol.
Naturally, but some schools actually go so far as to say on the interview day that if you're waitlisted and don't then show continued interested with a letter that you will not get off it, period. This is the case at Georgetown--actually they encourage you to send five such letters and even suggest spreading them out one month apart. (It was obnoxious.) Anyway, there clearly is some variability in whether the act of showing interest matters or not.

did they really say that they don't care about letters of intent? i didn't hear the dean say that on my interview day

did they really say that they don't care about letters of intent? i didn't hear the dean say that on my interview day
+1, i dont remember anyone saying anything regarding letters of intent. I mean, just rationally thinking about it, letters of intent should be invaluable to NYU since I distinctly remember them being concerned about their yield this year. idk I'll probably call the admissions office to see if they are receptive to letters of intent..

I remember the dean saying he doesn't put much stock in letters of intent. He also said that their yield has been increasing and that is why they are accepting fewer applicants outright. If I remember correctly

I remember the dean saying he doesn't put much stock in letters of intent. He also said that their yield has been increasing and that is why they are accepting fewer applicants outright. If I remember correctly
well **** me

I think letters of intent prior to a decision don't hold any weight. I can't imagine a letter of intent after you are placed on the waitlist could possibly hurt your chances

I definitely remember differently, although I could be mis-remembering I suppose - during December interviews, I recall him saying that we shouldn't send letters of intent before we received decisions in January, because they wouldn't really be taken into account; however, we could send thank you notes/updates/letters of interest if we wanted. Then he talked about how some schools WL everyone, and they think that's not fair for the applicants so they WL and reject. And after that, emphasized that if you are on the WL and NYU is your first choice you should let them know.

I definitely remember differently, although I could be mis-remembering I suppose - during December interviews, I recall him saying that we shouldn't send letters of intent before we received decisions in January, because they wouldn't really be taken into account; however, we could send thank you notes/updates/letters of interest if we wanted. Then he talked about how some schools WL everyone, and they think that's not fair for the applicants so they WL and reject. And after that, emphasized that if you are on the WL and NYU is your first choice you should let them know.

I interviewed last week of interviews (I think the 18th) and remembered him saying that.