2017-2018 New York University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone offered an interview for a 3-year MD program? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
That was my understanding; so the question is, what do these rankings mean, and why should/do they matter? Who would consider these when making decisions?

After interviewing for residency I would say there's honestly more regional bias than rankings bias. However, I would say the TIER of school you go to matters somewhat (top 10 vs top 25 vs top 50) - especially in regards to whether you have to be AOA or not.

But with top 10 changing every year I don’t see how they take that into consideration?

After interviewing for residency I would say there's honestly more regional bias than rankings bias. However, I would say the TIER of school you go to matters somewhat (top 10 vs top 25 vs top 50) - especially in regards to whether you have to be AOA or not.
ut with too

But with top 10 changing every year I don’t see how they take that into consideration?

What's considered a "top 10" is very nebulous. I don't think a difference of < 10 ranks is going to make that big of a difference for you. I'm not sure I'd say PDs don't know about these rankings though. I've seen a lot of attending look up the rankings as they come out. I mean, wouldn't you be curious where your old med school was ranked?

I think when it comes to choosing between a school that was top 10 last year and one that's top 10 this year you should obviously go off of other things. I.e. Bellevue is better than NYP. ;)

Anyone heard from Financial Aid yet - with merit or need-based offers?

Anyone heard from Financial Aid yet - with merit or need-based offers?
Yes, I received my need-based award like a month ago (it was basically nothing so I'm praying for a merit award!)

Yes, I received my need-based award like a month ago (it was basically nothing so I'm praying for a merit award!)
+1 received it a while back, also got basically squat 0 zilch nada. When I spoke to FinAid they said "you never know what type of merit aid you will get", so hopefully that means something.

Same. Does merit aid typically come out in April? Or did NYU disburse theirs already

I was told merit calls would be made this week (not to drive everyone crazier, although I do hope everyone is a bit more relaxed now that we've secured this acceptance) Merit decisions were being made last week according to an email i got from the financial aid office!

Reactions: 2 users
Hm....I haven't heard from the FA office yet...do you happen to know when offers stop being made for need-based?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else see the glitching out US News site with NYU as #3

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    43.4 KB · Views: 123
RIP to people on the waitlist lol

Reactions: 7 users
Darn it. I actually wanted to go here. I’ll never get off the flipping waitlist now...

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Here you are. This is pretty ridiculous.

Noteworthy is the NIH funding per faculty member as well as the residency director peer assessment score going up to 4.0 (still lagging way behind other schools in this tier).

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I was obviously the reason for the rise in rankings. Tyvm.

Noteworthy is the NIH funding per faculty member as well as the residency director peer assessment score going up to 4.0 (still lagging way behind other schools in this tier).

I agree, this is wild! Also, how does Hopkins/Penn/UCSF have a great residency director peer assessment than Harvard? that seems odd to me. Does that actually mean anything? Idk if 4.7 vs 4.6 says a lot.

3rd in research? How is that possible... I'm never getting off the waitlist now lmao

Reactions: 1 users
I agree, this is wild! Also, how does Hopkins/Penn/UCSF have a great residency director peer assessment than Harvard? that seems odd to me. Does that actually mean anything? Idk if 4.7 vs 4.6 says a lot.
Iirc, Harvard's was highest last year (or Hopkins) - surprisingly, UCSF and Penn now rank first as well.

Iirc, Harvard's was highest last year (or Hopkins) - surprisingly, UCSF and Penn now rank first as well.

According to an old reddit feed I found, looks like it was Harvard/Hopkins/UCSF last year, and then Stanford/Penn. So Penn moved up one, Harvard moved down one in terms of residency ranking. So it seems minor.

I mean, point still stands, among any of these institutions (NYU included), you want be want for places to go for residency and you'll - more or less - have your pick.

According to an old reddit feed I found, looks like it was Harvard/Hopkins/UCSF last year, and then Stanford/Penn. So Penn moved up one, Harvard moved down one in terms of residency ranking. So it seems minor.

I mean, point still stands, among any of these institutions (NYU included), you want be want for places to go for residency and you'll - more or less - have your pick.
Thanks for digging! And yeah agreed. The point of medical school is to match into a residency, and I think these 'research' rankings are too fresh to warrant serious consideration as part of your decision making process. Any of these top schools will land you in a fine spot.

Last edited:
Hey guys, representative from US News. There's been a malfunction on our rankings site which won't get resolved until June so please refer to previous years' rankings for schools please. We appreciate your consideration.

Conflicts of interest: i am on the waitlist and already sent a letter of intent p l e a s e

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Is there a specific reason they are still using old MCAT scores? It seems like there would be enough data now to start using the new ones.

Wtf? How does NYU rank so highly all of a sudden with such a poor residency director peer assessment score compared to the other top 10? This methodology doesn't make any sense...

Wtf? How does NYU rank so highly all of a sudden with such a poor residency director peer assessment score compared to the other top 10? This methodology doesn't make any sense...
In my opinion, these rankings are finally reflecting research way more than they ever have. And in that vein, these rankings aren't as prestige-heavy as they were before.

In my opinion, these rankings are finally reflecting research way more than they ever have. And in that vein, these rankings aren't as prestige-heavy as they were before.

Disagree. There's no way that NYU's research is on par with Stanford and BETTER than UCSF's. Ridiculous. They just have been admitting students with higher MCAT and GPAs to boost the rankings, which most certainly does NOT reflect research. If the rankings truly reflected research, there should be no residency director assessment or MCAT/GPA in the methodology. So these ranking do not represent research by any means.

Last edited:
Disagree. There's no way that NYU's research is on par with Stanford and BETTER than UCSF's. Ridiculous. They just have been admitting students with higher MCAT and GPAs to boost the rankings, which most certainly does NOT reflect research. If the rankings truly reflected research, there should be no residency director assessment or MCAT/GPA. So these ranking do not represent research by any means.
I agree that this new methodology is ridiculous. I personally don't agree with it, and it's very obvious that the new formula has bolstered NYU in a disproportionate way before they have . After looking at the actual financial numbers of NYU, however, it's clear that they have a ton of money outside of NIH funding ($640 million, higher than every other school besides Harvard, and higher than every other school when you consider per-faculty funding) which has been newly factored into this year's ranking.

So while it's evident that they haven't produced the results yet to justify this rank increase, I think it's safe to say that they have the necessary money to get there. While Stanford and UCSF have years of history behind them to further justify their reputation and ranking, it remains to be seen where NYU goes with this massive influx of money now that it is evident in the rankings.

Anyone seen this year's match list?

Anyone seen this year's match list?

It’s on the Official 2018 Match List thread - I can’t link to it right now, but you can probably search for it on SDN

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

With all the emails NYU has been sending us waitlisted candidates, I'm surprised they haven't sent one out commenting on their increase in ranking lol.

This sounds really important when you're applying to med school. Then you apply to residency and realize it's useless. PDs just go by who they know regionally. And certain schools have always inbred with certain other schools. There's so much more that goes into a school's match list than "the USNWR peer-assessment score."

As I said in another thread, the reason the Doximity rankings for residencies have always been laughed at is because they rely solely on peer assessment, which people have realized is an almost useless measure.

Going to any school in the top 25 is not going to close or open any doors for you. It's entirely dependent on what you do when you get there. Even the omnipotent HMS always has the few kids who don't match or "match poorly."

Has anyone gotten accepted off the waitlist here? At the interview, the dean of admissions seemed to make it a point to say that they begin accepting people off the waitlist before May, but that doesn't seem to have been the case. Maybe I just misinterpreted...

Has anyone gotten accepted off the waitlist here? At the interview, the dean of admissions seemed to make it a point to say that they begin accepting people off the waitlist before May, but that doesn't seem to have been the case. Maybe I just misinterpreted...
I doubt anyone has withdrawn their application, or very few have - most people still haven't received their financial aid package, and merit aid has yet to be doled out. If I had to guess, probably some movement in mid-April, with most in May.

i called maybe like a month ago to ask about waitlist movement and I remember them saying they probs won't be sending out acceptances till early May

I was told merit calls would be made this week (not to drive everyone crazier, although I do hope everyone is a bit more relaxed now that we've secured this acceptance) Merit decisions were being made last week according to an email i got from the financial aid office!
So scholarships are out?

No one has reported here yet, obviously still possible that they've been communicated, could have been delayed because of the storm this past wednesday!

If anyone receives a merit scholarship or has an update about the release date, please post here. Thanks in advance! :)

If anyone receives a merit scholarship or has an update about the release date, please post here. Thanks in advance! :)
Just got a call from an unknown number.... I pick up knowing we are supposed to be getting merit aid calls this week. It's someone from NYU. We chat about my job and summer plans for a few minutes and then he pauses and says, "I'm just calling to congratulate you...... on your acceptance."

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just got a call from an unknown number.... I pick up knowing we are supposed to be getting merit aid calls this week. It's someone from NYU. We chat about my job and summer plans for a few minutes and then he pauses and says, "I'm just calling to congratulate you...... on your acceptance."

Would've wrestled a tiger for one of those calls as a waitlister....

Reactions: 2 users
Would've wrestled a tiger for one of those calls as a waitlister....
I know I know of course I'm happy I'm accepted I don't mean to sound ungrateful, it's just this week of all weeks, my heart stopped because I thought I got a scholarship!

I know I know of course I'm happy I'm accepted I don't mean to sound ungrateful, it's just this week of all weeks, my heart stopped because I thought I got a scholarship!

Yeah someone posted earlier in this thread saying that they'd call yesterday afternoon/evening to congratulate us and see if we have any questions they could answer.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here hitting refresh on Rivera's Twitter hoping he'll randomly tell us when they're making those calls even though he probably wouldn't tweet about that.

Honestly, it's as if us waitlisters all got a phone call from NYU some time in the first week of May asking if we have any questions on the waitlist process or something similar. I mean, I would LOVE to get off the waitlist - don't get me wrong - but getting a phone call last week would definitely have given me a jolt if I had already been accepted. Best of luck to those of you who are accepted - I know you all are deserving of scholarships and it's a bummer they only give out a few.

Just saw the newest US News Ranking, and NYU is #3. I guess artificially lowering acceptance rates worked?

Just got the call from Dr Rivera about a merit scholarship! He sent an email before calling

Reactions: 5 users
Just got the call from Dr Rivera about a merit scholarship! He sent an email before calling

I just got the same e-mail!!! But call yet. Was this a full cost of attendance, or partial merit on your end?