2017-2018 Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it true that NEOMED only starts sending out interviews late in the cycle (past January)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received a secondary for NEOMED yet?
Me neither...I'm IS and submitted day 1 amcas submission opened

is it true they only take a handful of students because they already have their class from the 6 year program?

is it true they only take a handful of students because they already have their class from the 6 year program?

IS and still waiting on a secondary, too.

My SO is there and he said his class is like 50% BSMDs. I'm too lazy to do the math

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

I may be wrong but I thought I saw somewhere that last year's class only had 35 direct entry (non CSU partnership or BsMD) matriculants, only half of which were in state.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I may be wrong but I thought I saw somewhere that last year's class only had 35 direct entry (non CSU partnership or BsMD) matriculants, only half of which were in state.

If that is the case, I would assume that the number of direct entries accepted this cycle will about the same or fewer. There is a 6-year BS/MD class that will matriculate in 2018, plus some CSU post-bac students, and I've heard that there are new 8-year guaranteed admissions partnerships with several local universities (although I am not sure if they will begin matriculating in 2018). That's a lot of spots that are already taken. The number of seats open for direct entry will depend on the number of people who are unable to fulfill the requirements of their guaranteed admission (GPA and MCAT), so the process for us direct entry students will be competitive and long.

so for the direct path they dont take letters of recommendation or is there something required for letters in the secondary application? I feel like this is a trick haha

Members don't see this ad :)
This makes me feel so much better no one else seems to have received a secondary yet either! I took the MCAT a second time and unfortunately decreased in score...I thought my drop in score eliminated me from this school :smack:

neomed is notoriously slow throughout this process. Based on previous years' threads, I expect to see secondaries sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Kind of makes sense, they don't need to rush bc they have so many less applicants and less spots to fill due to linkage programs

And maybe they try to wait to see if some of those students opt out

And maybe they try to wait to see if some of those students opt out

Exactly. Also, I read somewhere that the BS/MD students have to meet the NEOMED MCAT requirement by the summer before matriculation, so direct entry seats become available very late in the cycle (June/July) as some of those students fail to meet the threshold.

Exactly. Also, I read somewhere that the BS/MD students have to meet the NEOMED MCAT requirement by the summer before matriculation, so direct entry seats become available very late in the cycle (June/July) as some of those students fail to meet the threshold.

My SO got in like, the last week of July off the waitlist

Yup I just got the supplement as well - I wonder what their screen is. MSAR says they have one but it seems like it's just an academic stats minimum

Yup I just got the supplement as well - I wonder what their screen is. MSAR says they have one but it seems like it's just an academic stats minimum
If I remember correctly their screen is 125+ for each MCAT section, I'm not sure if there was anything else

Having trouble getting the secondary link to open

When were you all verified? I have >3.5 and >125 in each section and haven't received anything. They're probably just sending in batches.

Anyone else having trouble creating an account to access the secondary?

Mine ended up being same login credentials as my AACOMAS

Just wanted to get your thoughts on being an OOS individual applying to NEOMED- from this thread it seems like a majority of the students are BS/MDs so is it worth for someone who is OOS to apply there? Thanks!

Just wanted to get your thoughts on being an OOS individual applying to NEOMED- from this thread it seems like a majority of the students are BS/MDs so is it worth for someone who is OOS to apply there? Thanks!

Well I believe based on years past they take about 35-40 direct entry MATRICULANTS. Half of those were IS, half OOS. So we don't know how many OOS were accepted and did not attend nor do we know how many OOSers had IS ties. The total number of apps is also lower than most schools, tho

There doesn't seem to be anything in their secondary portal that allows for the fee waiver, even though MSAR states they offer one. I sent an e-mail on Wednesday, but I haven't gotten a reply yet. Anyone have any info?

Hey Guys,

For the following question, how did you guys approach it:

"A physician does many activities during the workday. What physician activity will be most meaningful to you? Provide a specific life experience that affirms the meaningfulness of this activity."

I think I'm not approaching the question correctly. Is a physician role the same as a physician's activities? I would appreciate any clarification.

Thank you.

Last edited:
When everyone submitted their secondary, did it say their transcript was missing? I'm confused if I'm supposed to send them my transcript directly or if they'll update that later after reading my primary.... their website doesn't offer much information. Also, they don't take LORs?

When everyone submitted their secondary, did it say their transcript was missing? I'm confused if I'm supposed to send them my transcript directly or if they'll update that later after reading my primary.... their website doesn't offer much information. Also, they don't take LORs?

You only have to send transcripts in to AMCAS when you submit your primary. Confirmed that you don't need to send any transcripts to NEOMED for the supplemental. They get all the academic info from the primary app. And you're right, they're not taking LOR's this year.

Reactions: 2 users
You only have to send transcripts in to AMCAS when you submit your primary. Confirmed that you don't need to send any transcripts to NEOMED for the supplemental. They get all the academic info from the primary app. And you're right, they're not taking LOR's this year.

Is it an issue then if we already designated letters to go to them on AMCAS? I wonder why they're not taking them..

Is it an issue then if we already designated letters to go to them on AMCAS? I wonder why they're not taking them..

If you sent letters to them anyway it won't be a problem, they just won't be reviewing them.

Do they accept OOS applicants? Or is it like 90% in-state like MSU?

NEOMED is pretty unique in that their BS/MD program makes up most of their class. According to the MSAR ~90% is in-state. Out of a class of 148, 113 were from the BS/MD program. Of the 35 remaining students coming the traditional route, only 13 were OOS. Very slim odds. I wouldn't apply unless you have a very strong connection to northeast Ohio.

Got an email today for an interview (for early admission)! Good luck to all!

So as far as I understand, we DON'T need to repeat our work/activities unless we wish to update them...correct? Also, I can't find the essays LOL

Edit: found the essays

NEOMED is pretty unique in that their BS/MD program makes up most of their class. According to the MSAR ~90% is in-state. Out of a class of 148, 113 were from the BS/MD program. Of the 35 remaining students coming the traditional route, only 13 were OOS. Very slim odds. I wouldn't apply unless you have a very strong connection to northeast Ohio.
So 22 of the students are IS and traditional? I grew up in NEO and all my family still lives there and went to college in Ohio so hopefully that will help. Do you know if the traditional students avg MCAT is higher since most of the students only need a 500 to stay in the program? That might change the average a decent amount compared to those of us who are applying straight traditional.

II 09-08-17
NonTrad OOS

Do any of you guys know what the post-interview acceptance rate is?

Reactions: 1 users
II 09-08-17
NonTrad OOS

Do any of you guys know what the post-interview acceptance rate is?
when were you complete? Im submitting today. I believe that their acceptance rate post interview is pretty high.

II today! Haven't gotten date yet
OOS

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone who received an II been able to schedule for this Thursday, September 14th? I tried to click on that date as soon as I received the invite and it wouldn't accept the date. So frustrating:smack: