2017-2018 Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NOVA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew my acceptance today. This was a hard one because it was one of my favorite schools I interviewed at. Good luck everyone still hoping to get in!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew my acceptance today. This was a hard one because it was one of my favorite schools I interviewed at. Good luck everyone still hoping to get in!
Congrats on the MD acceptance!!!!! Been following your journey since the start of the cycle, super excited for you :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone and good luck on this application cycle! Just thought I'd leave you guys a message offering to answer any questions you may have. I am currently an M2 and also in the MPH program. Feel free to ask away! I'll try to remember to check this thread as often as I can.

Hii! could you comment on what a typical week looks like as a DO student at Nova? How many lecture hours, small group discussions, etc...

Thank you!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone interview 11/16 get any decisions? I thought they were meeting 12/1 to make some decisions.

Does anyone know what the comlex level 1,2, and 3 passing rate is here at NOVA? Are they pretty good at preparing the students for board exams?

Is NSU-COM a good program compare to other DO programs?

Please let me know.
Thank you in advance.

Does anyone know what the comlex level 1,2, and 3 passing rate is here at NOVA? Are they pretty good at preparing the students for board exams?

Is NSU-COM a good program compare to other DO programs?

Please let me know.
Thank you in advance.
They post their level 3 pass rate on their website but it is super hard to find any data about their level 1 and 2 scores. I know (from friends that go there, a current student can correct me if I'm wrong) that they are discouraging students from taking the USMLE because "a bad USMLE score will make a good COMLEX score look worse".

Overall, it's one of the better DO programs and has a good reputation, especially in South FL.

They post their level 3 pass rate on their website but it is super hard to find any data about their level 1 and 2 scores. I know (from friends that go there, a current student can correct me if I'm wrong) that they are discouraging students from taking the USMLE because "a bad USMLE score will make a good COMLEX score look worse".

Overall, it's one of the better DO programs and has a good reputation, especially in South FL.

But that won't really matter after the merger, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Nova is receptive to ITA emails? I'm going to be interviewing at their MD program soon. I would really like to live in this area, and I would also prefer not to spend the money on flights more than once if I don't have to.

Anyone started looking for apartments yet? If I am looking for a quiet and safe neighborhood would be better to live a bit further away from campus (Plantation or Weston)?

Thanks!

They are sending me something in the mail, did anyone have that recently and if so, was it a waitlist or rejection?

How do you know they're sending you something in the mail?

I'm from 11/16 interview group. Did anyone hear anything from NSU yet?

I'm from 11/16 interview group. Did anyone hear anything from NSU yet?

Nope, still waiting as well. Tried calling them but I got the standard "We have a lot of applicants and the committee has their own process, etc etc. Best course of action is to wait until they email you."

Last edited:
If it helps, I interviewed this week and they said we should know before Xmas. Perhaps they'll make decisions for all of us?

Reactions: 1 user
Howd you like NOVA?
Wonderful experience! It changed into my top osteopathic choice fairly quickly and I would attend in a heartbeat. Previous posts on Pros and Cons are pretty accurate so I'll add a couple more -

Pros
  • Ultrasound added into the curriculum
  • Systems based
  • Attendance not mandatory for non-clinical courses w/recorded lecture
  • Focused on developing clinicians
  • Staff are genuinely collegial and very kind (interview day hugs!)
  • They know your name
  • I got the feeling they are really attuned to what makes a DO both competitive and compassionate
  • SIM lab + standardized patients in first year
  • NOVA has many resources and well-developed relationships within the community
  • Dress code -> scrubs
  • Online medical Spanish course
  • OPP and research fellowships with financial incentives
  • COMBANK, First Aid, and Doctors in Training provided
  • You must pass COMSAE C (mock COMLEX) before taking COMLEX
  • 100% MATCH
  • 4 week block schedule (~one exam/week)
  • Plenty of research opportunities
  • Prosect your own cadavers, which are used for yours and PA exams
  • Quidditch

Cons
  • COL in Ft. Lauderdale whhoooowee
  • Letter grades (70% is pass)
  • Testing is on iPad, which you have to buy yourself
  • 31 credit first semester
Some things many be pros/cons to others like the 80h M1-M2 community service requirement (which you can split 40/40), 6 to a cadaver, etc.

Overall, an excellent program! Some concerns were raised about the new allopathic addition but it sounds like we won't be competing for anything at all. The dean is more than comfortable and pleased to take care of her students.

Last edited:
I've always wondered how they sort OOS vs. in-state students when it comes to making decisions on who gets an interview. I submitted my secondary application on September 21st, and a II on November 3rd. I wonder how much of the entering class consists of students from the state of Florida. I have seen several people on here state that they never even received interview invites and they were complete and ready for review back in July.

I've always wondered how they sort OOS vs. in-state students when it comes to making decisions on who gets an interview. I submitted my secondary application on September 21st, and a II on November 3rd. I wonder how much of the entering class consists of students from the state of Florida. I have seen several people on here state that they never even received interview invites and they were complete and ready for review back in July.
Who knows about this mysterious process. I was told they were really honing in on students that were a good fit, first and foremost, before interviewing. So perhaps this has come into play.

Not sure either but I think they mainly check who fits the mission statement of the school especially the community service aspect. My interview group had people from all different states. In fact the M1s I had were all from OOS.

We were told it's roughly a 50/50 split of IS/OOS students.

I was complete October 5th and have not heard back. Anyone else on the same boat? It's been over 2 months, do you think that's a silent rejection?

I was complete October 5th and have not heard back. Anyone else on the same boat? It's been over 2 months, do you think that's a silent rejection?

I’m in the same boat. Not sure, I’m still holding out hope hehe

All that we have to do to reserve our seat is put down the $1250 deposit by the stated deadline, correct? No other paperwork or anything? I want to be sure i don't mess this up L0L

All that we have to do to reserve our seat is put down the $1250 deposit by the stated deadline, correct? No other paperwork or anything? I want to be sure i don't mess this up L0L
Yes, I believe so. I also submitted the five documents like the dress code/technical standards/intent to enroll/etc. just in case when I submitted my check haha.

Complete since 9/18, 511 MCAT, 3.3sGPA 3.5cGPA, 2.5 years research, 3 years scribe experience, experience in rural medicine. I haven't heard anything and I'm going crazy. :(

I have similar stats and was complete 8/18. I have not heard anything back, have you? Did you submit an update and/or letter of interest? I was hoping you could advise on the best way to go about this if so! All I have to add is a publication, but maybe it would help.

I was wondering this too. I didn't see any other deadlines, but also I don't want to be permanently bound in case another offer comes by. I did pay my deposit though

So I called Nova for a Status update and the lady said im under review but awaiting for final decision. That I should receive final decision by email or mail. Is that hint for rejection? No II yet complete October 5th.

So I called Nova for a Status update and the lady said im under review but awaiting for final decision. That I should receive final decision by email or mail. Is that hint for rejection? No II yet complete October 5th.

Are you an OOS or IS student? Also, if you don't mind me asking what are your stats?

I was completed in Oct. 3rd, got the interview invitation email on 11/2/17, then interviewed on 11/16/17!
Let me know if you have more questions!
Okay thanks, I was complete last week of August, so I was worried.

well interviewed 11/16 so waiting patiently since they said the admissions met up 12/1 so hoping the before christmas decisions is true

well interviewed 11/16 so waiting patiently since they said the admissions met up 12/1 so hoping the before christmas decisions is true

Hey man, I'm from that group too and anxiously waiting for that decision as well! I had the same type of response when I called in as well. Fingers are crossed.

It's about to be a month on Thursday since I interviewed. I can't imagine it taking longer than a month to find out whether or not we have been accepted.

It's about to be a month on Thursday since I interviewed. I can't imagine it taking longer than a month to find out whether or not we have been accepted.

I agree with you like just send out those acceptances please! According to some of the posts in this thread, I think some of the earlier acceptances took 4-6 weeks. I could be wrong tho...

Hii! could you comment on what a typical week looks like as a DO student at Nova? How many lecture hours, small group discussions, etc...

Thank you!

The first year is really busy, but I think they do a decent job at spacing things out for you. You'll generally have classes from 8-5 and labs 2-3 days per week. Most classes are not mandatory, but some are along with all labs. In my first year, it was unfortunate that we pretty much had at least one mandatory class per day, so you had to be on campus every day. Once tests start, you'll generally have one every week which can be brutal as the semester drags on. I'm not sure how things are changing though as I've heard they might be implementing a new curriculum. If so, then all that I have said is wrong. As far as the rest of your day is after classes will depend on how many clubs you join, ECs you want to do, or if you just want to study. Feel free to DM me if you have more questions (i'll get an email rather than me having to check this site regularly).