2017-2018 Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NOVA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ive also been complete since mid October. (507/3.87). Haven't heard anything either. Would it be a good idea to call/email and ask for a status update, or is this generally looked down upon?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ive also been complete since mid October. (507/3.87). Haven't heard anything either. Would it be a good idea to call/email and ask for a status update, or is this generally looked down upon?

I feel like whenever I call into any admissions office to ask for any sort of update it is pointless because they give you such a scripted and automated message about how you should just wait for the committee to email you. However, I don't think it would hurt if you ask once in a while. Just don't do it every other week. To give you a time frame, I was complete around late August / Early Sept and got my II around late October for 11/16.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I feel like whenever I call into any admissions office to ask for any sort of update it is pointless because they give you such a scripted and automated message about how you should just wait for the committee to email you. However, I don't think it would hurt if you ask once in a while. Just don't do it every other week. To give you a time frame, I was complete around late August / Early Sept and got my II around late October for 11/16.
Yeah thats very true. I guess ill send an email then. Hopefully they'll see it as a "continued interest" sort of thing. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have similar stats, was complete around late June/early July, and just got a II in November. You still have time.

II Today. Complete 12/6. Scheduled for 1/30.

I guess we won't hear their decision by this week? It's been over a month. I was really hoping I would hear back from them before I make a deposit to other school that's due 18th.

This might sound extremely stupid but if the application portal says received next to everything does that mean I'm complete.

I guess we won't hear their decision by this week? It's been over a month. I was really hoping I would hear back from them before I make a deposit to other school that's due 18th.

Yea I was hoping to have a decision by this week before I book any tickets out to Touro CA (I really don't want to go there unless I have to.)

This might sound extremely stupid but if the application portal says received next to everything does that mean I'm complete.

This should mean you're complete. However, it does take them some time to process everything before the committee reviews it I believe. You probably can call for a faster update.

Complete mid July, not a word since!

Reactions: 2 users
Still waiting to hear back. Local here, I live a short drive away. Maybe I should just drive down one day and ask them in person :D

For those who interviewed already or are current students, would you please share your primary likes and dislikes about the school (community, resources, etc.)? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got offered a scholarship. Which is odd cause I got accepted a while ago.

Sitting here in snowy New York wondering when Nova will throw an II at me :heckyeah:

Reactions: 3 users
Sending my rejection now after being accepted to two DOs I ranked higher. Hopefully this opens up a spot for one of you guys!

Congrats! Where else did you get in, if you dont mind me asking!

No problem! I got into KCU and AZCOM in addition to NSU, and for a few reasons (though it is a close tie) I have concluded AZCOM is a better fit for me than KCU.

No problem! I got into KCU and AZCOM in addition to NSU, and for a few reasons (though it is a close tie) I have concluded AZCOM is a better fit for me than KCU.
Is AZCOM one of top DO programs in the US?

So I was looking through Nova's website this morning and just saw that they posted the pass rates for all 3 COMLEX exams. According to their website, the pass rate for level 1 was only 85.80 this past year! The pass rate for level 2 PE was not great either. This is quite concerning to me. Can any students comment on how the school is correcting for this if any?

Residency Match Data and COMLEX Level 3 Board Scores | NSU COM

Last edited:
So I was looking through Nova's website this morning and just saw that they posted the pass rates for all 3 COMLEX exams. According to their website, the pass rate for level 1 was only 85.80 this past year! The pass rate for level 2 PE was not great either. This is quite concerning to me. Can any students comment on how the school is correcting for this if any?

Well... that concerns me a little bit.
Although its been more than a month since I interviewed there. Still no decision. Nothing.

Well... that concerns me a little bit.
Although its been more than a month since I interviewed there. Still no decision. Nothing.
My guess it is stated as first time pass rate, which is still around average.

Also I heard they just implemented the COMASE mock exam policy this year. From what I learned is that before 2017 you can take the comlex if you wish. In 2018, student must pass COMASE to take COMLEX.

This policy is already in place at many other DO schools.

Please correct me if wrong.

My guess it is stated as first time pass rate, which is still around average.

Also I heard they just implemented the COMASE mock exam policy this year. From what I learned is that before 2017 you can take the comlex if you wish. In 2018, student must pass COMASE to take COMLEX.

This policy is already in place at many other DO schools.

Please correct me if wrong.
I think you mean that before 2017 you can take the COMSAE if you wish

I think you mean that before 2017 you can take the COMSAE if you wish
Yes that's correct.

Did you recall the NSU dean mention the prescreen? I recall she said that the pre-screen will be in place for the current second year students.

Yes that's correct.

Did you recall the NSU dean mention the prescreen? I recall she said that the pre-screen will be in place for the current second year students.
I don't recall hearing anything about it to be honest. I can ask some friends that are current students if no one responds on here.

Damn. That is a concerningly low pass rate.

Damn. That is a concerningly low pass rate.
It'd be nice if there were more current students here to comment on this. I wonder if there were some new things/professors/circumstances or something that led to this.

If anyone hasn't already, there's a great NOVA interview on the Premed years podcast. Episode 258, I believe!

I’m a few years out from Nova but I’ll say that passing boards is more based on your personal study time then anything Nova can do. They definitely prepare you well for the PE. A few kids failed it in my class because they thought they could be slick and get around doing OMM. As long as you put in the time you will do fine on boards. You are better off going somewhere that you will be happy and is a good fit. You will be studying non stop your first two years. Best of luck to you.

I’m a few years out from Nova but I’ll say that passing boards is more based on your personal study time then anything Nova can do. They definitely prepare you well for the PE. A few kids failed it in my class because they thought they could be slick and get around doing OMM. As long as you put in the time you will do fine on boards. You are better off going somewhere that you will be happy and is a good fit. You will be studying non stop your first two years. Best of luck to you.
Do you know if NSU have some kinds of board exam pre-screen policy?

It's about to be a month on Thursday since I interviewed. I can't imagine it taking longer than a month to find out whether or not we have been accepted.
when did you interview?

I interviewed on 11/9 and still have yet to hear back

Do you know if NSU have some kinds of board exam pre-screen policy?

When I was there they did not. I heard they followed what LECOM does now and you have to pass the COMSAE before you can take it. Maybe a current student can clarify that.

All due respect, but when ~14% of a large class fails Level 1, it's hard to not put significant blame on the school.

I understand it's exciting to get caught up in getting an interview/acceptance to Nova... but current applicants really should do some research into why an established school like this doesn't prepare their students to pass the most important board exam adequately.

All due respect, but when ~14% of a large class fails Level 1, it's hard to not put significant blame on the school.

I understand it's exciting to get caught up in getting an interview/acceptance to Nova... but current applicants really should do some research into why an established school like this doesn't prepare their students to pass the most important board exam adequately.
Usually with pre-screen policy in place, schools usuallt screens out roughly 15-25 the students in the class who failed COMSAE.

In another way, if the school has 250 students, after the pre-screen, assume 20 students will not be able to pass COMSAE, that would be 8%.

Now let's say the rest who passed the pre-screen did pretty good and have about 96% pass on COMPLEX, which will be 9 people who failed. If you add all these together (9+20=29), that would be about 12 percent fail rate.

I think the pre-screen is a very good policy that protect you from possible damage to future career. But it will make the number a bit hard to understand.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

I understand what you're saying and i believe that they should implement more exam prep. I was also at LECOM when they said all of their exams are board style and they have really good prep and wish Nova would adopt something similar. Either way, if one gets accepted to Nova, chances are that he/she has the ability to succeed and this ~14% stat means that future students including myself need to be wary that we will have to do more on our own to prepare instead of expecting the school to do that for us. Touch base with me in the future and i'll let you know how it goes. ;)

well interviewed 11/16 so waiting patiently since they said the admissions met up 12/1 so hoping the before christmas decisions is true

That's actually good news bc i was getting kind of worried. I finished my app first week of Nov. and then got an interview invite day before thanksgiving for Dec. 5th. They told us at the interview date that we should look out for a decision by Dec. 14th, but I still haven't heard anything back yet. I was getting kind of worried but I am glad it's not just me waiting