2017-2018 Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NOVA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I looked at the previous years thread and it seems like most WL movement happened in June so who knows!

Did they say it was slow like when you called or in general? I know the deadline to hold one acceptance has passed so possibly some good movement in the upcoming weeks!

They said waitlist movement in general has been slow for them this year because less people are giving up their seats. Hopefully there is some movement soon. But it looks like this is a trend with a lot of schools this year (based on the waitlist support thread).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How doable is it to make a 505 + MCAT? I feel like I do terrible on standardized testing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

They said waitlist movement in general has been slow for them this year because less people are giving up their seats. Hopefully there is some movement soon. But it looks like this is a trend with a lot of schools this year (based on the waitlist support thread).

Yea, I've also heard that WL is slow, for a couple other schools as well. But since the aacomas deadline was may 15th, and a school can give you a minimum of 2 weeks of making up your mind (depending on the school), maybe we can hear some movement end of May/ beginning of June.

On a side note... Does anyone else get heart palpitations when they see a notification from this thread? Or is it just me?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current applicant for the Fall 2018 cycle with 3 II’s and 2 waitlists one at Touro NY Middletown and the other right here at Nova so I’m in the same boat as you all checking this thread day in and day out lol but here’s a pretty in-depth post of what the application cycle (and waitlist movement) looks like on Nova’s end to give you some perspective in these coming weeks. Cheers!

https://medicalschoolhq.net/pmy-258-director-of-admissions-talks-about-the-admissions-process/

Last edited:
Does the school have a P/F grading system or a percentage one?

Hey guys, so I interviewed back in December and was placed on the alternate list. I got an email on 5/16 (i think 5/14 was the last day for those accepted to hold multiple seats and different schools), and the wording said that i was high on their waitlist and asked if i was still interested. I replied yes, of course, and Ms. Medina said she would keep me posted (she was the one who sent me the email). did anyone else on here receive something similar?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, so I interviewed back in December and was placed on the alternate list. I got an email on 5/16 (i think 5/14 was the last day for those accepted to hold multiple seats and different schools), and the wording said that i was high on their waitlist and asked if i was still interested. I replied yes, of course, and Ms. Medina said she would keep me posted (she was the one who sent me the email). did anyone else on here receive something similar?

That's awesome. And nope, didn't receive an email like that.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the first day of classes is officially? Or when we can expect to have that information by?

The class Facebook page has 290 people :(( I want to get off the waitlist so bad :(
Some of these members include current students who have joined to answer questions for the entering class FYI. Don't read too much into the number. Also, some people will join the group even if they don't plan on committing there.

As I sit here in agony hoping that tomorrow brings the news I want... I am wondering...
How long does Nova give those accepted off the waitlist to make their decision? Is it just a few days? A week?

For those who have visited NOVA, my concern is the weather such as hurricanes. Anyone mind answering a few questions I have if they go there or have been to the area? I am considering applying this year.

For those who have visited NOVA, my concern is the weather such as hurricanes. Anyone mind answering a few questions I have if they go there or have been to the area? I am considering applying this year.

Lmao dude, hurricanes are no biggie. I've lived in SoFlo my whole life. Ever since hurricane Andrew in 1992, all the new buildings had to be built to withstand cat 5's. PM me if you want more info.

But to the current applicants who are accepted and are on the fence about attending because of hurricanes, weather, traffic, or prices... ummm yes we have that... so.... drop plz so I can get your acceptance :laugh: ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Hurricane Irma did postpone classes for a week and basically wrecked our schedule for a couple months. Other than that it’s not bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For OOS applicants, do you get in-state tuition after the first year? I'm not sure if there is a difference in tuition or not

For OOS applicants, do you get in-state tuition after the first year? I'm not sure if there is a difference in tuition or not
I know that there is a 7k difference between in state and oos. i have a friend who is a first year there and he did not apply for the change in location to qualify for instate because of "too much running around and paperwork" esp since he only plans on being there for med school as an oos student

Was there any waitlist movement last week? I’m still hoping to hear something

Also, can anyone comment on how long Nova gives you to make a decision once you're accepted off the waitlist?

I wish they would at least let us know where we stand with the waitlist! I feel like I'm torturing myself with the possibility of hearing back from them when I have no idea what's gonna happen.

Also in last years thread it seems there were a lot more people posting about how they withdrew their acceptance, it seems like that isn't the case this year :(

You have to remember that SDN doesn’t represent the full population of applicants so perhaps this cycle, the majority of applicants are not on SDN or they may just be quiet observers who don’t post.

Keep your hopes up! I’m in the same boat! We’re in this together.

Was there any waitlist movement last week? I’m still hoping to hear something

Well one of my friends got in from the WL last week. I'm thinking that there may have been quite a bit of movement, but we don't really see it because they don't post on SDN.

So it's true that NSUCOM has P/F system starting this year?
just checked the handbook and looks like to be still numeric grades so no differences to letter grade.

You may be referring to the MD portion of NSU being P and F since they follow 100% PBL

just checked the handbook and looks like to be still numeric grades so no differences to letter grade.

You may be referring to the MD portion of NSU being P and F since they follow 100% PBL
Are you a current M1? an entering M1? Where did you find the handbook? Online?

Hey guys, ive posted on here before but im waitlisted at nova and received an email stating that i was high on their waitlist. i emailed them back with a letter of intent recently and waiting to hear back. i just realize that biochem is a required course for admission , something that i didnt take in undergrad and am freaking out because i need to somehow get this accredited. has someone on here run into a similar issue, do you know how flexible the admissions office is with this? I took 2 bio courses, one of them had extensive work in biochem but the course was called "eukaryotic cell bio". i have a third bio course i took in high school i got college credits for. theres a link to a page from my undergrad school that also states that tho some med schools require biochem, they feel that a lot of it is covered in one of the courses that i took in undergrad. any thoughts or suggestions of what i can do?

Hey guys, ive posted on here before but im waitlisted at nova and received an email stating that i was high on their waitlist. i emailed them back with a letter of intent recently and waiting to hear back. i just realize that biochem is a required course for admission , something that i didnt take in undergrad and am freaking out because i need to somehow get this accredited. has someone on here run into a similar issue, do you know how flexible the admissions office is with this? I took 2 bio courses, one of them had extensive work in biochem but the course was called "eukaryotic cell bio". i have a third bio course i took in high school i got college credits for. theres a link to a page from my undergrad school that also states that tho some med schools require biochem, they feel that a lot of it is covered in one of the courses that i took in undergrad. any thoughts or suggestions of what i can do?

Email them and ask dude. The people at admissions seem really understanding & caring. If they sent you an email like that, chances are they know you haven't taken "biochem" but your other courses will suffice, & they want you.

Email them and ask dude. The people at admissions seem really understanding & caring. If they sent you an email like that, chances are they know you haven't taken "biochem" but your other courses will suffice, & they want you.
yeah, I basically sent them an email explaining that i did not take it because i didnt know i had to and its hard cuz i was an engineering major and fitting it in would have been very difficult esp since i was initially waitlisted and hoping to get an actual seat.but i sent them an email with my letter of intent today as well as a different email saying these are courses that ive taken and with a link to my undergrad's page and syllabus to the courses that i was trying to sub in. Hopefully that works out :/

Thoughts on "declining board scores" in terms of first-time pass rate? This seems to be a recurring topic of conversation whenever NSU-KPCOM is mentioned on SDN. Personally, I am not too concerned about it. I plan to hold myself accountable for the amount of time & effort put into preparing for boards. What does everyone else think?

Has anyone gotten off of the hold list as of late? Or have they received an email from admissions asking if they are still interested as they are "high on the waitlist"?

Accepted off the waitlist 5 minutes ago

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted off the waitlist 5 minutes ago

Congrats! Have they e-mailed you recently about your status on the WL? Or was it a pretty random email/phone call of getting accepted?

Congrats! Have they e-mailed you recently about your status on the WL? Or was it a pretty random email/phone call of getting accepted?

So I received an email on Tuesday stating that I was high on the WL and if I would still like to be considered for admissions then I received a phone call 10 minutes later asking the exact same thing. Today I received an acceptance via an email with an attached video from the dean

So I received an email on Tuesday stating that I was high on the WL and if I would still like to be considered for admissions then I received a phone call 10 minutes later asking the exact same thing. Today I received an acceptance via an email with an attached video from the dean

Ahhh congrats!! Ugh that is so goals for me lol. I’m so jealous but in the best way possible!!

Yo I’m so happy for ya you’ll be near Miami in less than 2 months! It was great visiting during my interview in December I hope to get the same news you have and congratulations on getting in again it’s the one dream all of us here share! Cheers yo

Reactions: 4 users
wow congratulations!! so happy and proud for you, fingers crossed for everyone else!

Hey everyone - was accepted on Wednesday as well but I've decided to forego my spot and give it to one of you deserving people so that I can pursue becoming an anesthesia assistant (sounds like an impulsive decision but it's been a long time coming) - interviewed in Jan.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey everyone - was accepted on Wednesday as well but I've decided to forego my spot and give it to one of you deserving people so that I can pursue becoming an anesthesia assistant (sounds like an impulsive decision but it's been a long time coming) - interviewed in Jan.

Bless you and good luck! Maybe quantumd ended up getting your spot!

Bless you and good luck! Maybe quantumd ended up getting your spot!

I gave up my spot as well, I hope one of you deserving individuals receive

Reactions: 5 users
anyone hear anything back recently?
Was on WL and yesterday received a rejection letter. Its all good though as I already had several acceptances including my top choice school. Best of Luck to all those still waiting.

Was on WL and yesterday received a rejection letter. Its all good though as I already had several acceptances including my top choice school. Best of Luck to all those still waiting.

Did it come in the mail?

Best of luck! At least you got in at your top choice!! Just curious, did you happen to receive an email previously stating that you were high on the waitlist?

Best of luck! At least you got in at your top choice!! Just curious, did you happen to receive an email previously stating that you were high on the waitlist?
Hi, WL email never indicated a ranking. Best of Luck to you as well.

Hey everyone! Just got an email from Nova saying that I’m high on the waitlist and have to respond by this Thursday if interested and be ready to pay the $2K deposit within 24 hours. Had my interview Dec. 5th and got waitlisted two weeks later so it’s been a long time coming! Hoping to hear some good news and wish you all the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hey everyone! Just got an email from Nova saying that I’m high on the waitlist and have to respond by this Thursday if interested and be ready to pay the $2K deposit within 24 hours. Had my interview Dec. 5th and got waitlisted two weeks later so it’s been a long time coming! Hoping to hear some good news and wish you all the best!
Wow that sounds promising, best of luck!