2017-2018 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when the 2018 match list will be posted?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed last year on 4/14/17 for a waitlist spot and ended up getting accepted in early May. They wont tell you your position on the waitlist, but it is ranked once all interviews are done. At your interview you will either be rejected or informed that you have been waitlisted. Good luck to you!
Do you mind sharing your basic background stats? Did you have subpar to midrange stats with a good trend? And rocked the interview? Or just a late applicant?

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Do you mind sharing your basic background stats? Did you have subpar to midrange stats with a good trend? And rocked the interview? Or just a late applicant?

Applied early in the cycle. (August). OU-HCOM average stats (502, 3.7 total GPA, 3.6 Science GPA). I was right on all of those. My GPA was consistent throughout undergrad. I'd like to think I did well in the interview, but I would say most people do! The reality of applying to medical school is part of it is luck. Last year OU had 5000 applications they interviewed ~450 people and of those people 250 matriculated.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going here but I was wondering if anyone could refresh my memory, its been a while since I interviewed. With the new curriculum is attendance every day mandatory? Are we really gonna have lectures (the paper the gave us kept saying case discussion)? Are lectures going to be available online? TBH I loved it at OUHCOM and I loved the staff and current students I talked to, but the weekly schedule and implementation of this new curriculum is confusing me (or at least how they tried to explain it at the interview haha). help :)

The second deposit ($500) is due May 15th right? I could have sworn I saw somewhere it said May 1st, but website says 15th. So there should be movement around that time.

I'm going here but I was wondering if anyone could refresh my memory, its been a while since I interviewed. With the new curriculum is attendance every day mandatory? Are we really gonna have lectures (the paper the gave us kept saying case discussion)? Are lectures going to be available online? TBH I loved it at OUHCOM and I loved the staff and current students I talked to, but the weekly schedule and implementation of this new curriculum is confusing me (or at least how they tried to explain it at the interview haha). help :)

There are a lot of new changes with the new curriculum. Yes, daily attendance is mandatory, but classes are more geared toward team-based learning, case review, problem sets, large and small group discussions, and labs. There aren't necessarily lectures in the traditional sense, but there will be pre-recorded videos that you'll be able to access online. From my understanding, we are told what the learning objectives are (what's on the test), and where to find the information (readings, faculty pre-records, etc). In class, we get hands-on learning in labs, and discussions/cases that apply the information/fill in gaps/etc.

The second deposit ($500) is due May 15th right? I could have sworn I saw somewhere it said May 1st, but website says 15th. So there should be movement around that time.
MD applicants have to narrow down to 1 by the 30th, DO by the 15th. Will see the most movement after the 15th

Got accepted somewhere else via phone call and will be giving up my accepted spot at the Athen campus after I receive the acceptance package from the other school in the mail. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
MD applicants have to narrow down to 1 by the 30th, DO by the 15th. Will see the most movement after the 15th

Sent from my SM-G930P using

So is it possible to see some movement before* May 15th? Not as much as May 15th but still some?

The In Touch Newsletter says the final deposit is due May 1st, so you might want to contact the school and double check.

Deadline is May 1st. I called to verify.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone that has recently interviewed or is interviewing tomorrow, do they still have spots open or are they interviewing solely for the waitlist?

Are the people admitted to main campus but WL for a specific campus on the same people on the WL for a general acceptance? or are the WL separated ?

Just withdrew my acceptance. Awesome program, I hope the spot goes to one of you guys!

For anyone that has recently interviewed or is interviewing tomorrow, do they still have spots open or are they interviewing solely for the waitlist?
Waitlist only but they have had spots open. They just aren't filling them till after the interviews. Or at least that is what Dr Schriner made it seem like

anyone know when they start accepting people off the WL?

will we be notified of campus waitlist movement by e mail or phone ? I am out of the country right now and am worried I might miss a phone call.

I feel like it should start this week since the deposit deadline was yesterday.
I think you're right. Dr. Schriner said the AdCom would meet this week and rank the WL and then he would start making calls to fill open slots. That will continue up until the 2nd day or so of orientation in August as slots open. He said they need to be able to reach you pretty quickly and will want an immediate decision (and no deferrals). So, don't necessarily wait by the phone but do keep it handy.

Someone else asked about fulfilling campus preference earlier. Dr. Schriner told our group they would make an effort to fill openings at campuses based on WL candidate preferences. That said, if the only slots open are in Athens, for example, and it's down to the wire, they'll offer Athens to the next in line regardless of preference.

will we be notified of campus waitlist movement by e mail or phone ? I am out of the country right now and am worried I might miss a phone call.
I think Dr. Schriner said they would call and send an email, too. But keep the Admissions committe updated with your most current contact info where you can most reliably be reached. And if there's someone who can answer the phone (e.g., a significant other, parent, roommate) and relay to/from for you, that works too. They just need to be able to get in touch and get an answer relatively quickly.

anyone know when they start accepting people off the WL?
Dr Schriner told our group, 1st Wed in May they have a meeting where they compile thier rankings. So I assume tomorrow at the earliest or Monday (if they need to get thier ducks in a row).

Anybody concerned with the lack of people saying they gave up thier spot on this forum? (or at least not like kast years forum around 2nd deposit day). Do you think people are still waiting to hear from other schools? Is it just slow? Or just people not posting? I do know when I interviewed in April they said a spot had just opened. Any ideas how many have opened thus far?

Dr Schriner told our group, 1st Wed in May they have a meeting where they compile thier rankings. So I assume tomorrow at the earliest or Monday (if they need to get thier ducks in a row).

Anybody concerned with the lack of people saying they gave up thier spot on this forum? (or at least not like kast years forum around 2nd deposit day). Do you think people are still waiting to hear from other schools? Is it just slow? Or just people not posting? I do know when I interviewed in April they said a spot had just opened. Any ideas how many have opened thus far?

Not going to lie, I'm worried too. People are not posting. Maybe its because its literally 2 weeks before they usually have the deadline (May 15), so ppl probably literally paid that 500 to conserve their spot (bc people have money to throw like that i guess) ...

Not going to lie, I'm worried too. People are not posting. Maybe its because its literally 2 weeks before they usually have the deadline (May 15), so ppl probably literally paid that 500 to conserve their spot (bc people have money to throw like that i guess) ...
Not worried at all. You have to remember, Schriner said they went 70 deep last year for ~35 spots. Look at last years thread, barely anyone said anything early May about dropping HCOM acceptances and a couple people said they were accepted off the WL. You can’t expect all 35 people to post they got accepted. Also SDN is a very small fraction of those who apply so I think we’ll be ok

Reactions: 3 users
Not worried at all. You have to remember, Schriner said they went 70 deep last year for ~35 spots. Look at last years thread, barely anyone said anything early May about dropping HCOM acceptances and a couple people said they were accepted off the WL. You can’t expect all 35 people to post they got accepted. Also SDN is a very small fraction of those who apply so I think we’ll be ok

That is actually very true, i remember when he said 35 ppl came off the WL last year and I thought "wow judging by SDN I would have thought only 7 came off"

Truth.

Last edited:
Based on last years thread when did they start hearing movement off the WL's?
Very few posted about thier acceptances last year. But people began posting withdrawals around the 15th. The second deposit date was also earlier this year, so who know when it'll start moving. But only a few DO schools have seen movement so far (check DO waitlist support thread)

Very few posted about thier acceptances last year. But people began posting withdrawals around the 15th. The second deposit date was also earlier this year, so who know when it'll start moving. But only a few DO schools have seen movement so far (check DO waitlist support thread)

Thanks!

For anyone wondering I was waitlisted here back in January and just received a call that I was accepted into the Dublin campus. I declined because I’m matriculating elsewhere. Good luck you guys!

Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone know how much time the new ouhcom curriculum will have to prepare for the complex 1?

Does anyone know how much time the new ouhcom curriculum will have to prepare for the complex 1?
During our interview they said the best way to study for the comlex was your classes. They made it sound like you would have sometime between the end of classes and comlex but not a huge amount of time. However they did note that they would nit let you take it if you were not in the satisfactory range on the practice comlex test... This is just what I remember from Mrs Harmon's Q&A during the interview. If you need further clarification I would contact the office... Unless anyone elses remembers better lol

hoping we hear some WL movement from Clev campus soon. Really holding onto hope that I will be able to change campuses so I can be closer to my husband. :/

Reactions: 5 users
Holding out hope for an acceptance at any of the three campuses :/ Its been a long 2 months of waiting!

Reactions: 6 users
Based on previous threads end of May seems to be a hot time for WL movement!

2 years. Everything you learn in the curriculum prepares you for COMLEX 1, so learn the material during school and do well on it (don't just cram for exams) and you'll be fine. The new curriculum follows the same academic schedule as the rest of the university, so the Spring semester will end in early to mid-May (instead of the end of May/beginning of June). Most students take the exam in June or early July. But you have to pass the practice exam by a certain amount before they'll release you to take the actual exam. You take the practice exam during the Spring semester of 2nd year.

I forgot to post this before, but someone on the Cleveland waitlist will be very happy because I withdrew. It was a hard decision since this is a great DO school. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist! :luck:

Reactions: 9 users
Hello! I just toured HCOM in Athens this week and am very interested in this school. From what I saw on the tour it seems to be a great match for me. I'm wondering if anyone could help by telling me why they are choosing OU over other schools? Also what some of the accepted students stats are?

I am retaking my MCAT this year in June...previous is a 496. GPA is a 3.8; science 3.75.

I appreciate any help!

Hello! I just toured HCOM in Athens this week and am very interested in this school. From what I saw on the tour it seems to be a great match for me. I'm wondering if anyone could help by telling me why they are choosing OU over other schools? Also what some of the accepted students stats are?

I am retaking my MCAT this year in June...previous is a 496. GPA is a 3.8; science 3.75.

I appreciate any help!
I turned down half a dozen interviews after my interview/acceptance at OU last October. It just felt like home from the moment I stepped on campus. I did go on one other interview this spring and it felt very aseptic. I was glad I went because it reminded me how much I liked OU. It's not about the stats, it's about who you are. The environment that OU creates on interview day is something special. If you apply and are invited, you'll know what I mean. Best of luck! I also chose OU because I wanted to go to the DO route. You have to choose what feels right for you and as generic as it sounds, only you will know!!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm OOS on the waitlist and I'm not sure if OU-HCOM would event want me. Does anyone know their timeline or when most of their acceptances for the waitlist go out?

I'm OOS on the waitlist and I'm not sure if OU-HCOM would event want me. Does anyone know their timeline or when most of their acceptances for the waitlist go out?

Waitlist acceptances have been going out. The latest someone withdrew or got accepted and posted on SDN last year during the "wave period" was around June 8th. So the next 2-3 weeks appears to be the time when the waitlist widdles down.

And its finally the weekend... :dead:The only time I don't obsessively check my e mail, voicemail, and SDN for news of Clev wait list movement. :drowning:

Has anyone done the immunizations yet? I'm confused where to go for the HBV and IGRA ones. My FP said they do not do them in their office... Like where do you go then haha

You can often get the immunizations done at min clinics such as Walgreen, they may or may not accept insurance. You can have your Dr. write you a Rx for the Titers and have them drawn at most local hospitals or places like LabCare. I would call beforehand to see what insurance the labs take or how much out of pocket they will be. Also you can try your county board of health.

During our interview they said the best way to study for the comlex was your classes. They made it sound like you would have sometime between the end of classes and comlex but not a huge amount of time. However they did note that they would nit let you take it if you were not in the satisfactory range on the practice comlex test... This is just what I remember from Mrs Harmon's Q&A during the interview. If you need further clarification I would contact the office... Unless anyone elses remembers better lol

2 years. Everything you learn in the curriculum prepares you for COMLEX 1, so learn the material during school and do well on it (don't just cram for exams) and you'll be fine. The new curriculum follows the same academic schedule as the rest of the university, so the Spring semester will end in early to mid-May (instead of the end of May/beginning of June). Most students take the exam in June or early July. But you have to pass the practice exam by a certain amount before they'll release you to take the actual exam. You take the practice exam during the Spring semester of 2nd year.

Thank you guys!