2017-2018 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys!
I just finished my first year at OUHCOM Cleveland campus and I wanted to tell you all that if you’re on the waitlist don’t lose hope. I remember being in orientation week in Athens and people were still getting accepted mid-week. And we started July 10th, you guys wont start till August 20th or something. So don’t worry! You still have tons of time! If anyone has any questions I’m free to answer them as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I turned down half a dozen interviews after my interview/acceptance at OU last October. It just felt like home from the moment I stepped on campus. I did go on one other interview this spring and it felt very aseptic. I was glad I went because it reminded me how much I liked OU. It's not about the stats, it's about who you are. The environment that OU creates on interview day is something special. If you apply and are invited, you'll know what I mean. Best of luck! I also chose OU because I wanted to go to the DO route. You have to choose what feels right for you and as generic as it sounds, only you will know!!

I did the exact same thing, didn’t accept anymore interview except 1. And OU was my very first interview in September during my cycle and I got a call on my way home. OU makes you feel so at home you don’t wanna go anywhere else.

Reactions: 1 users
I did the exact same thing, didn’t accept anymore interview except 1. And OU was my very first interview in September during my cycle and I got a call on my way home. OU makes you feel so at home you don’t wanna go anywhere else.
I'm so glad to hear it and that you survived your first year! I am so excited to get started!!
We just got the email about medical bags and instruments so I'll ask you - did you order the package and did you get anything extra? I hadn't even thought about getting anything other than a stethoscope!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so glad to hear it and that you survived your first year! I am so excited to get started!!
We just got the email about medical bags and instruments so I'll ask you - did you order the package and did you get anything extra? I hadn't even thought about getting anything other than a stethoscope!

The alumni society gives you a stethoscope, so unless you want a certain color or something you don’t need to buy one, and I ordered all my stuff on amazon because you don’t need it cept for first year. After first year you use the stuff already in the patient rooms, so I didn’t spend a ton on something I would use for only a year

The alumni society gives you a stethoscope, so unless you want a certain color or something you don’t need to buy one, and I ordered all my stuff on amazon because you don’t need it cept for first year. After first year you use the stuff already in the patient rooms, so I didn’t spend a ton on something I would use for only a year

As a re-matriculating first year, I also don't suggest buying those super fancy otoscopes/ophthalmoscopes. Just get the basic ones... it's all you need, it's all you'll probably use in your clinical experiences, and it takes way too much time during class to figure out how to use it.

Has anyone interviewed yet for the joint OU-HCOM and Transformative Care Continuum Program with the Cleveland Clinic?
I am interested in the TCC program as well.
Can anyone describe the interview process & questions asked?
Also, I would be interested to know MCAT scores for acceptees. Are they required to be higher for the TCC program?

I am interested in the TCC program as well.
Can anyone describe the interview process & questions asked?
Also, I would be interested to know MCAT scores for acceptees. Are they required to be higher for the TCC program?
This is the first class for it. I did not interview for it or know int questions but heard a presentation on it. There are 2 interviews one with a residency director (pretty sure) and then the general admission interview. Apparently the first interview is pretty grueling but you match upon getting accepted to the program, so that is a plus. Idk about mcat but passion for primary care is probably pretty big

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Congrats on finishing your first year! If you don't mind answering and no pressure if you do, can I ask what your MCAT score was? I just retook mine yesterday and don't feel too great about it. I know it's more about who you are as a person but I'm still nervous. I did a tour at OU earlier this year and spoke to one of the admission officers and he said to let him know when that second score came back and they would try to get me in for an early interview so I hope it went alright!

Congrats on finishing your first year! If you don't mind answering and no pressure if you do, can I ask what your MCAT score was? I just retook mine yesterday and don't feel too great about it. I know it's more about who you are as a person but I'm still nervous. I did a tour at OU earlier this year and spoke to one of the admission officers and he said to let him know when that second score came back and they would try to get me in for an early interview so I hope it went alright!
My MCAT score was not what got me into med school, that's for sure. Focus on who you are and what you bring to the table. What makes you unique? Like they say, everyone applying for med school is going to have at least a decent GPA, have done all of the basic requirements, etc. I was in the 40th percentile, I worked full-time all the way through my undergrad program and have 3 kids so my study time was really limited for the MCAT. I made no apologies for it. While most schools wouldn't give me the time of day, I bring a lot to the table that has nothing to do with the MCAT. I have raised kids, I've done research which I've presented internationally and published a number of papers as sole author. I helped run a free clinic and taught nutrition classes at a food bank. I'm also old enough to be a mom to most everyone else applying :) We all bring something different. No matter where you apply or interview, there will be someone with a higher GPA or MCAT or worked as a PCA or comes from a family where everyone is a doctor, don't let that intimidate you. You chose to become a physician, own that decision and bring yourself proudly and yet humbly through the process.

Thank you I got a 509, however, with that and my gpa I was invited to the very first interview day. So that’s over their average. I believe my class average is like 501 or 502 or something. Don’t be too hard on yourself. If you truly show why you wanna be a Doctor, a few points on your mcat isn’t gunna be the end of the world. I won’t say stats don’t matter at all because hey do screen using GPA and MCAT like most schools, but honestly make yourself stand out with your essays and your experiences!

Members don't see this ad :)
No, but will it really put any type of dent in the 300K+ expected COA
It was really disappointing that they did away with the RUSP scholarship this year, that would have put a very nice dent in the first year's debt. I know most of the scholarships aren't huge, but anything helps and you can always list it on your CV! (gotta think positively, we are in the elite who actually got accepted!!!)

I recently have been accepted into the Athens campus! I was wondering if anyone knows of a popular apartment complex medical students like to stay at or an apartment complex exclusive to the medical students in Athens. My friend who got into Marian told me they had something like this and I was wondering if OU-HCOM had something similar. If this should be posted into a different thread, please point me in the right direction! Thank you!

I recently have been accepted into the Athens campus! I was wondering if anyone knows of a popular apartment complex medical students like to stay at or an apartment complex exclusive to the medical students in Athens. My friend who got into Marian told me they had something like this and I was wondering if OU-HCOM had something similar. If this should be posted into a different thread, please point me in the right direction! Thank you!
Congratulations!!! Welcome to our class :) Have you gotten the invitation to join the Facebook group for Athens yet? There have been several people posting looking for roommates. The apartment complex you are referring to is probably The Summit, it is where a lot of medical students live. If you haven't joined Facebook group, call and ask for them to email you the invitation so you can get connected.

Hello! Does anyone know when OU-HCOM will be posting their syllabus relating to the new curriculum? Classes start soon and I would like to have an idea of what each day and week will look like regarding specific content and exam schedules. Thank you!

Hello! Does anyone know when OU-HCOM will be posting their syllabus relating to the new curriculum? Classes start soon and I would like to have an idea of what each day and week will look like regarding specific content and exam schedules. Thank you!

Because I’m on some exec boards for our clubs and we are already looking to plan stuff...
I’ve been told around july 18th that your schedule should get posted!

Anyone know if you can do the Army HPSP program at OU if you’re out of state given the contract?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in a similar situation! Ended up getting a letter from one of the MD's and the DO I shadowed. My interviewers were interested in why I chose DO since they did see the large amounts of MD shadowing, so I think that having the experience from both really helped me in answering that!

Thank you all for answering my questions! This is a really amazing community. Can I ask you how many letters you had? I was fortunately able to get a DO letter just recently but I now have 2 MD, 1 DO, 2 science professors that I worked for as a TA, and 1 premed committee letter. I'm worried that's too many. I wasn't planning on getting the DO letter but I figured that was a pretty big necessity.

Thank you all for answering my questions! This is a really amazing community. Can I ask you how many letters you had? I was fortunately able to get a DO letter just recently but I now have 2 MD, 1 DO, 2 science professors that I worked for as a TA, and 1 premed committee letter. I'm worried that's too many. I wasn't planning on getting the DO letter but I figured that was a pretty big necessity.

Use the DO one, the committee one, and maybe choose 1 or 2 of the others. I didn’t have a DO letter, I just submitted a committee one and go in right away, so don’t bog them down with too many to read!

So how is everyone funding their $300k debt..?

I had one committee letter (that contained all of my professor/advisor letters), one DO, one MD, and one outside letter from an extracurricular advisor, so I had 4 total. I agree that the DO letter is very important :)

Dublin and Cleveland get guaranteed clinical rotations in their respective cities/ surrounding areas. In Athens you can get placed across the state. Also the dress code "business causal" in Athens seems to be more relaxed than Dublin for sure and I believe Cleveland as well. The facilities differ with Dublin and Cleveland being newer than Athens, but they are in the works of planning to build new medical school buildings in Athens. As far as pre-clinical education is concerned we are one class as @BoroPreMed92 said.

How about the location?

Does anyone know when classes end this year? Also, does anyone know when classes start summer 2019? Thanks.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I have been accepted into the OU medical Post Bacc program, in Athens, but I was told I still have a chance on been taken off the wait list for acceptance. Does anyone know how accurate that is or acceptance into the Post Bacc means denial for that year? I have completed all the requirements for the Post Bacc though, because I did not want to go through the application process again, but I am still hoping I get accepted.

Does anyone know when classes end this year? Also, does anyone know when classes start summer 2019? Thanks.

Academic Schedule

Based on the weekly calendar I found at this link, it looks like the last day of classes for the class of 2022 is April 26 with assessments ending May 3. It seems the TCC has a required summer course, but regular classes don't resume until some time after August 17 I guess.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I have been accepted into the OU medical Post Bacc program, in Athens, but I was told I still have a chance on been taken off the wait list for acceptance. Does anyone know how accurate that is or acceptance into the Post Bacc means denial for that year? I have completed all the requirements for the Post Bacc though, because I did not want to go through the application process again, but I am still hoping I get accepted.

I could private message you, but you gotta set your pm up.

Hey guys- does anyone know how to log into LCMS+? I received an email from them in July but don't have any login information. Do we log in through blackboard somehow? Thanks.

Hey guys- does anyone know how to log into LCMS+? I received an email from them in July but don't have any login information. Do we log in through blackboard somehow? Thanks.
It should be the same as your OU login info. I got on to LCMS+ through the academic schedule link and bookmarked it.

I'm so pumped for orientation!!!!! Can't wait to meet everyone :)

heritagelms.hcom.ohio.edu

I think this address works for me^, then login with OU credentials

Hello everyone. I am an incoming 1st year, starting in a few weeks, who will be attending the Dublin Campus. If anyone has questions throughout the cycle I am more than willing to help you out.
Hi Buckeye_913,
I was wondering if my stats are good enough to get in! Can I send you my info through email?

Not a student here but I am an Ohio resident and this may be of assistance for financing your program.

The state legislature approved a program called Ohio First that funds the education of medical students guaranteeing to go into primary care in rural and/or underserved Ohio after they are completely through woth school etc.

I am reasonably certain this program is still in effect. You can contact your financial aid office and/or find the state board that oversees it.

Good luck to you all!

Hi Buckeye_913,
I was wondering if my stats are good enough to get in! Can I send you my info through email?
Sure. I think there is a way to direct message on this site so that only I can see your stats. Shoot me a message

Does applying for the TCC program have any effect on the normal application process? Meaning if I were to apply to the TCC program and not be accepted, would I also not be accepted into the traditional medical track?

Does applying for the TCC program have any effect on the normal application process? Meaning if I were to apply to the TCC program and not be accepted, would I also not be accepted into the traditional medical track?
I don't think it has any effect on it, I was accepted into the normal program after applying to the TCC program and never heard anything about the TCC program. (assuming that means that I was rejected)

Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer to one of the other OU-HCOM campuses after matriculation? Has this ever happened?