2017-2018 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks!! And some of the questions they asked me were "Why OU and why DO?", " "What do you do in your free time?", "Tell me about the shadowing you did", "How did you decide to become a physician?", "How do you think is evidence-based research important to the medical community?", etc. Make sure you have plenty of questions as well.

^^these. i found my interviews to be highly conversational, and less interrogatory

Members don't see this ad.

^^these. I found my interviews to be highly conversational, and less interrogatory

Exactly. Also if you have Dr. Diaz as your interviewer, he doesn't ask you many questions but prefers for you to take the time to ask him questions. Also, the questions he does ask are very simple and nonstressful.

Really hoping to receive an invitation to interview. Haven't heard anything since I submitted my secondary on 8/1

Members don't see this ad :)
same here! my portal isn't even updated!
They have my letters updated on the portal with the secondary app and fee all with checkmarks. So my application says it is complete and under review. However, no updates on an interview invitation yet :unsure:

Would anyone who received IIs care to share their stats? Thanks!

The last II on here was 8/30... so quiet you can almost hear crickets. Does anyone know what is going on?

Reactions: 1 users
I think they are very selective with their II too. Got one this morning. :)

Can those who've recently been accepted share their stats (if comfortable)?

Members don't see this ad :)

Sure. I am an Ohio resident, white female, and age 21. My MCAT is a 512, and my GPA is a 3.95, with my science GPA being a 3.93.

Reactions: 1 user
INTERVIEW ENDED 3 HOURS AGO AND RECEIVED THE PHONE CALL JUST NOW!!! ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

Reactions: 12 users

suure. mixed races, male, non-traditional. ~3.5gpa, ~3.5science GPA, 35mcat, 507 new mcat, 5 years working in a hospital, 1000 hours of volunteer activities

Congrats to everyone who has received their acceptances! I am extremely excited for my interview, which is quickly approaching, but I am also getting very nervous for it. If anyone has any last minute advise it will be greatly appreciated!

Congrats to everyone who has received their acceptances! I am extremely excited for my interview, which is quickly approaching, but I am also getting very nervous for it. If anyone has any last minute advise it will be greatly appreciated!

1) Don't get absurdly drunk an hour before your interview

Reactions: 5 users
Just submitted my secondary on Tuesday. My application was put on hold pending some stuff. Hoping to receive my confirmation soon! Congrats to all those accepted!

Thanks!! And some of the questions they asked me were "Why OU and why DO?", " "What do you do in your free time?", "Tell me about the shadowing you did", "How did you decide to become a physician?", "How do you think is evidence-based research important to the medical community?", etc. Make sure you have plenty of questions as well.
Thank you for posting this, it was very helpful for me in prepping for my interviews. I found out Friday night I was accepted to the Dublin campus!

Accepted this morning via email to the Athens campus! I LOVED this school and am so excited to start here next year!

Reactions: 4 users
Really hoping to receive an invitation to interview. Haven't heard anything since I submitted my secondary on 8/1

What are your stats? I also thought I would have heard by now. Complete 8/11.

do we get a complete email? My portal is finally updated today and says my application is under review

For those who got an II, what was the time frame between complete and the II?

II this morning. Complete 8/10. (3.86/3.75/513/IS)

Go wait listed. Feels bad man this was my top choice. Hoping to make it off though

Go wait listed. Feels bad man this was my top choice. Hoping to make it off though

They said at the interview that they take quite a few off the waitlist so I think you have a good chance! Also, it seems like they are quite receptive to updates so you might want to try that.

II earlier today!! :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know the protocol once someone has been accepted? I received a phone call a week ago today saying that I had been accepted but I haven't gotten anything in the mail or an email. I want to confirm that I've been accepted so that I can cancel my other interviews.

Does anyone know the protocol once someone has been accepted? I received a phone call a week ago today saying that I had been accepted but I haven't gotten anything in the mail or an email. I want to confirm that I've been accepted so that I can cancel my other interviews.
Have you checked your spam folders or junk email?

Go to the portal to double check. When I got accepted, I knew even before I got the email because the portal said I had been. You should get the email soon though because it tells you how to officially accept your spot.

Hey everyone. I don't get on SDN very often haha but I completed my secondary on 8/29 and the portal was updated a few days later. When did most of you receive your interview invites? I'm trying to decide if I should add a few more schools and give up on this one haha. Any help would be appreciated :)

Hey everyone. I don't get on SDN very often haha but I completed my secondary on 8/29 and the portal was updated a few days later. When did most of you receive your interview invites? I'm trying to decide if I should add a few more schools and give up on this one haha. Any help would be appreciated :)

I was completed end of July/first week of August and I just received my II yesterday!

Does anyone have any advice for interviewing at this school/info on how the day went or how your experience was?

It is an open file traditional interview, correct? Any advice is appreciated!! :)

Just a heads up to anyone still waiting. They definitely screen hard for IS. Have been complete for 3 months, have emailed them 4 separate times to get the same canned answer. My portal still remains on the thank you for submitting page and doesn't show I'm complete. I wouldn't waste your time or money on this school unless you're from Ohio

Does anyone have any advice for interviewing at this school/info on how the day went or how your experience was?

It is an open file traditional interview, correct? Any advice is appreciated!! :)
My day was amazing! I loved the atmosphere and philosophy OU-HCOM brings to teaching future doctors and everyone I was able to meet and talk with were extremely nice. The day starts fairly early, and if you are anything like me you won't sleep much, but goes extremely fast; I recommend getting there early or touring around before your interview day if you can to have an idea of where you need to be. As for the interview itself, it is open file and traditional but the best advice I have for you is to just be yourself! Others have posted past questions they were asked and I myself reviewed hundreds of potential interview questions but to be honest I didn't use much or any of it when the time finally came to interview. Being myself and getting the chance to show them why I am passionate about pursuing this career path was the best interview "prep" I did. Finally, ask great/unique questions (not just ones you could get answers from reading their mission statement or website) so I would recommend doing some research beforehand to help prepare questions but also during the day you will learn a lot and might find new questions you are curious about.
I wish you the best of luck and just remember that you have made it over one of the largest hurdles in getting the interview and now the admissions committee wants to get to know you better and see if you are going to be a good fit for their program.

Reactions: 3 users
what do they mean by including the title of the essay being submitted (e.g. Required Personal Statement or Dublin Campus Statement)"

I don't remember but it took a few days to a week at least for all of my letters to be there

I sent in my secondary last Sunday and still haven't received the applicant is complete, it still says thanks for submitting your application.
1. How long does it take for my application to be completed
2. where do I find my letters in my portal? All I see Is my essays and my fee (both of which have a check mark by it)

I sent in my secondary last Sunday and still haven't received the application is complete, it still says thanks for submitting your application.
1. How long does it take for my application to be completed
2. where do I find my letters in my portal? All I see Is my essays and my fee (both of which have a check mark by it)

It took me about 5 weeks to have my portal change to " your app is under review". The letters will appear with red check marks once you're complete. They manually upload the letters so after it's up with check marks, you'll be under review and complete and your status will change!

It took me about 5 weeks to have my portal change to " your app is under review". The letters will appear with red check marks once you're complete. They manually upload the letters so after it's up with check marks, you'll be under review and complete and your status will change!
Okay just so I am clear here... when I first log in to the portal on the top left hand side, in the green box under application status, it says "Thank you! Your application is now complete and under review". Is this what your's says? I don't think I received a "completion email and started to worry.

I got an e-mail confirming my secondary payment on September 26th but no confirmation that the application was accepted in general. Should I e-mail them or just give them time? My primary application was put on hold prior pending some legal stuff and I got that information all sent to them, and after they received my legal stuff, they sent my secondary. So, I've been in contact with one of the admissions counselors already and they've been good about getting back to me in a timely notice, I just don't want to take advantage of their kindness and barrage them with e-mails haha.