2017-2018 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I recently talked to the admissions office at a conference attended and the school sounded really great, they made me want to attend there for medical school. Can you talk about your process and how you were able to get in i.e. cGPA, sGPA, EC, MCAT. Also what type of surgery opportunities there are.

I know that, since 2013, there has only been one student who hasn't matched to a residency, and about an average of 12% of matches in the last three years have been in surgical specialties. Keep in mind that OU-HCOM's focus is on primary care, though.

The clubs host a lot of events to gain experience in basic procedures such as suturing, central lines, peripheral IVs, and scrubbing in, sterile technique, surgical suite etiquette, etc that are open to first years. But even if you don't participate in those, you do get that knowledge through the curriculum, mostly as a second year I believe. You can check out all the clubs on OU-HCOM's website, there's a few surgical clubs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when orientation is?
They're still tryna figure out the date from what I remember but that could have changed so I'm not sure

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that, since 2013, there has only been one student who hasn't matched to a residency, and about an average of 12% of matches in the last three years have been in surgical specialties. Keep in mind that OU-HCOM's focus is on primary care, though.

The clubs host a lot of events to gain experience in basic procedures such as suturing, central lines, peripheral IVs, and scrubbing in, sterile technique, surgical suite etiquette, etc that are open to first years. But even if you don't participate in those, you do get that knowledge through the curriculum, mostly as a second year I believe. You can check out all the clubs on OU-HCOM's website, there's a few surgical clubs.

Would you happen to know if the school makes you take both COMPLEX and USMLE or either one?

Would you happen to know if the school makes you take both COMPLEX and USMLE or either one?
You have to take COMLEX in order to graduate and get your DO degree, just like MD candidates have to take the USMLE. As a DO student, though, the USMLE is optional. Although, many DO students take the USMLE in order to be competitive for certain residencies that are more familiar with the USMLE.

Edit: this may not need to be said, but just in case... you do not earn a MD degree for taking the USMLE. It's just another test that a most resident programs are more familiar with and may make you more competitive with MDs.

Does anyone know what % of classes are web lectures? I was recently accepted to the Dublin campus but that aspect slightly concerns me.

Also, does anyone know if there is a difference in the average complex scores between the three campuses?

Does anyone know what % of classes are web lectures? I was recently accepted to the Dublin campus but that aspect slightly concerns me.

Lectures are split pretty evenly between the campuses. But, even if a lecturer is at a different campus, if you go to lecture you can ask questions and whatnot in real-time just like if the lecturer was present at your campus. Plus, in the OMM labs, you have second years, teachers, and a bunch of other people who are available at your campus to help out no matter where the person directing the lab is. No matter what campus you go to, you'll experience a significant amount of "video-conference" lectures. They aren't all that different from regular lectures, you get used to them.

Also, does anyone know if there is a difference in the average complex scores between the three campuses?

Not that I've heard of. Everyone at all three campuses receives the same information in the same lectures at the same time. There's no difference in material at the three campuses, so any difference in COMLEX scores is most likely by chance.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on getting accepted into the Dublin Campus. I am a first year there now. If you ever have any questions or want to check out the campus just inbox me and we can set something up.

Has anyone that has been accepted noticed any trends in the interview? I had mine today and I only had 3 for D.O., but another candidate had 4 for the same program. She said that she asked current students how many they had and they claimed 4.
Anyone notice any type of correlation? One of the people I interviewed with was an MA/in student affairs...good or bad?

Not sure how to feel because everyone was so warm and welcoming. It's my first choice so I'm nervous that I didn't receive a call the same evening. I thought everything went really well.

I have a high GPA, average MCAT, tons of EC's (research, pharm tech, scribe, community service, IS, VP of 2 clubs, etc)

Got accepted last night by phone call!! Heading to Dublin campus!!! Looking forward to meeting you all. To those that are still waiting for an interview or on waitlist, It'll be okay, don't worry and keep faith!:)

Has anyone that has been accepted noticed any trends in the interview? I had mine today and I only had 3 for D.O., but another candidate had 4 for the same program. She said that she asked current students how many they had and they claimed 4.
Anyone notice any type of correlation? One of the people I interviewed with was an MA/in student affairs...good or bad?

Not sure how to feel because everyone was so warm and welcoming. It's my first choice so I'm nervous that I didn't receive a call the same evening. I thought everything went really well.

I have a high GPA, average MCAT, tons of EC's (research, pharm tech, scribe, community service, IS, VP of 2 clubs, etc)

The four interviews vs. three interviews, doesn't mean much (I was someone who had 4). It was just an extra meeting to make sure you were finishing a specific pre-req class before matriculation. It'll all work out I bet you did great and will receive good news on Monday! Good Luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Got accepted last night by phone call!! Heading to Dublin campus!!! Looking forward to meeting you all. To those that are still waiting for an interview or on waitlist, It'll be okay, don't worry and keep faith!:)

The four interviews vs. three interviews, doesn't mean much (I was someone who had 4). It was just an extra meeting to make sure you were finishing a specific pre-req class before matriculation. It'll all work out I bet you did great and will receive good news on Monday! Good Luck!

Thank you! That definitely calmed my nerves a bit. Fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone interviewed yet for the joint OU-HCOM and Transformative Care Continuum Program with the Cleveland Clinic?

This school has been dead quiet for me. Not much going on on this forum either. I wonder if they start their interview process later or something

Sent from my LG-H932 using SDN mobile

This school has been dead quiet for me. Not much going on on this forum either. I wonder if they start their interview process later or something

Interviewing has been going on for a couple of months, at least. Every Friday, or almost every Friday.

Just received an interview! Has anyone received an interview for TCC? I applied for it, but I think my interview is just for the regular medical school track?

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have any interview advice for the TCC program? Also, does anyone remember what the questions were on the TCC secondary? I remember there were some questions about staying in the NEO area and our desire to practice family medicine.

Does anyone have any interview advice for the TCC program? Also, does anyone remember what the questions were on the TCC secondary? I remember there were some questions about staying in the NEO area and our desire to practice family medicine.
Did your invitation to interview specify that you were interviewing for TCC? Mine did not, so I just wanted to make sure this was not the case haha since I did apply. Also, those are the only questions that I remember...

Did your invitation to interview specify that you were interviewing for TCC? Mine did not, so I just wanted to make sure this was not the case haha since I did apply. Also, those are the only questions that I remember...
Yes, the invitation specified that it is for the two day TCC interview.

Best of luck on your interview!!

If my app has been under review for about 2 months now should I be worried?

Also, does this school send pre-II rejections?

3.6 gpa 500 MCAT and a ton of ECs. Im a non trad so a bit older than the average matriculant.
Congratulations. I have similar stats, hoping for some love from OU.

Sent from my LG-H932 using SDN mobile

What kind of stats does an OOS student with ties to the state need to earn an interview at OU-HCOM?

What kind of stats does an OOS student with ties to the state need to earn an interview at OU-HCOM?
I'm from California, but with family that has lived in Athens County (where the Athens campus is located) for generations.
I had a 504 MCAT, 3.4 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, 2 healthcare related jobs, 2 research projects, and several ECs.

Hey @BurntFlower , mind if I PM you? Seems like we may have pretty similar stats based on your LM score and I’m still “patiently” awaiting word from this school about an II

I submitted my application in early August, have slightly above average stats as far as MCAT and GPA, and I have several volunteer, clinical, and leadership experiences. I have a DO letter as well although I'm not sure if it's a really strong letter or not. Do you guys think I still have a shot at an interview? I'm just thinking there are people who have already been offered interviews/acceptances who applied later than me and have lower stats. I get that the process can be somewhat random but it just doesn't make sense to me

for those of you have gotten acceptances, did you update the school/stay in touch with the admissions office quite a bit?

I submitted my application in early August, have slightly above average stats as far as MCAT and GPA, and I have several volunteer, clinical, and leadership experiences. I have a DO letter as well although I'm not sure if it's a really strong letter or not. Do you guys think I still have a shot at an interview? I'm just thinking there are people who have already been offered interviews/acceptances who applied later than me and have lower stats. I get that the process can be somewhat random but it just doesn't make sense to me
I mean there are a lot of variables outside of stats and ECs such as how you present your ECs in the general application and how well you wrote your secondary to them. I think you probably still have a shot since you haven’t been denied yet so don’t give up hope

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else interviewing this Friday?

They interviewed through March/April last year. Keep your hopes up high and your head down low