2017-2018 Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (OSU-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew my acceptance here. I hope it goes to someone great!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Go to OU. The residency opportunities are simply different between the degrees, even with us having our own residency programs.

There are also other reasons, PM me if you want to know my opinion.

However, MD and DO residencies will be merged by the time we get to that point (the current second years will be the first ones to go through the merged residencies).

Members don't see this ad :)
However, MD and DO residencies will be merged by the time we get to that point (the current second years will be the first ones to go through the merged residencies).

Won’t change anything about residency opportunities for DOs. If anything it makes it worse for OSU students because not every program will receive ACGME accreditation, some programs are having a harder time than they originally thought they would.

An average student from OU will have more options than an average student from OSU, and above average students will have a lot more options. It’s simply how it is. Their curriculum also has a lot less fluff, they have a better grading system, they take NBME exams, and they don’t have to take COMLEX. All pluses.

OSU is a great school, but unless someone is 100% dead set on primary care or absolutely loves the idea of OMM then there really isn’t a reason to choose it over OU. Some of the residency programs at OSU are having a harder time getting ACGME accreditation than they originally thought they would so that is also something to consider.

You may be right that OU may provide more opportunities, but with the MD/DO merger coming up, the playing field will hopefully be leveled. At the same time, wanting to do primary care or OMM is not the only good reason for going to OSU. I have plenty of friends at both schools and from their experiences, the environment makes a big difference. That being said, I know people at OU that are dead set on going into primary care and I know numerous people from OSU that have been matched into specialties. Both schools are great in their own way and you need to think about yourself and where you will do the best. In the end, it's YOUR effort and YOUR scores that make the biggest difference, so you want to be in a place where you will be able to do your best.

Regarding ACGME accreditation, yes, there are a few programs that are struggling but that's because the AOA had significantly different requirements so they are still in the conversion process. That being said, by the deadline for accreditation, MOST of the programs will be ACGME accredited. Also, students are NOT limited to these residencies. So even if the majority of OSU residencies fail accreditation (which is not true.. the majority have already passed), DO students can still qualify for numerous other residencies including MD ones.

Reactions: 1 user
Won’t change anything about residency opportunities for DOs. If anything it makes it worse for OSU students because not every program will receive ACGME accreditation, some programs are having a harder time than they originally thought they would.

This is not true at all. OSU students will be able to apply for MORE residencies.

This is not true at all. OSU students will be able to apply for MORE residencies.

Let me clarify, OSU students are NOT limited to OSU residencies. They can apply and be matched to any residencies. Students that are being matched before the merger can also take the USMLE to be matched to MD residencies. After the merger, ideally, programs will be accepting both COMLEX and USMLE, although for the first couple of years, it is recommended that students continue to take both to remain competitive, because as you mentioned... some DO residencies do not meet ACGME guidelines and will be shut down, which limits the total number of residencies. But this does not ONLY affect OSU students. It affects ALL students. This is because now, as long as DO students can score just as well as MD students on the USMLE, they are considered competitive for MD residencies as well. So I think the problem you're referring to is the overall lack of residencies... which, yes, it is a big problem and has been a problem even before the merger. However, this is NOT only going to affect OSU students or ONLY DO students.

You may be right that OU may provide more opportunities, but with the MD/DO merger coming up, the playing field will hopefully be leveled. At the same time, wanting to do primary care or OMM is not the only good reason for going to OSU. I have plenty of friends at both schools and from their experiences, the environment makes a big difference. That being said, I know people at OU that are dead set on going into primary care and I know numerous people from OSU that have been matched into specialties. Both schools are great in their own way and you need to think about yourself and where you will do the best. In the end, it's YOUR effort and YOUR scores that make the biggest difference, so you want to be in a place where you will be able to do your best.

Regarding ACGME accreditation, yes, there are a few programs that are struggling but that's because the AOA had significantly different requirements so they are still in the conversion process. That being said, by the deadline for accreditation, MOST of the programs will be ACGME accredited. Also, students are NOT limited to these residencies. So even if the majority of OSU residencies fail accreditation (which is not true.. the majority have already passed), DO students can still qualify for numerous other residencies including MD ones.

Let me clarify, OSU students are NOT limited to OSU residencies. They can apply and be matched to any residencies. Students that are being matched before the merger can also take the USMLE to be matched to MD residencies. After the merger, ideally, programs will be accepting both COMLEX and USMLE, although for the first couple of years, it is recommended that students continue to take both to remain competitive, because as you mentioned... some DO residencies do not meet ACGME guidelines and will be shut down, which limits the total number of residencies. But this does not ONLY affect OSU students. It affects ALL students. This is because now, as long as DO students can score just as well as MD students on the USMLE, they are considered competitive for MD residencies as well. So I think the problem you're referring to is the overall lack of residencies... which, yes, it is a big problem and has been a problem even before the merger. However, this is NOT only going to affect OSU students or ONLY DO students.

Your statements are not based in fact and have more than a few falsehoods. I have bolded a few of the more specific issues. In an effort to not derail the thread you can PM me if you would like to further discuss the impact of the merger in DO matching and the differences in opportunities between OSU and OU students.

Hey all!
For those attending second look day this weekend, is the dress attire formal as in interview attire?

On a serious note, the Facebook page said business casual. I’m wearing khakis and a polo. Maybe a sweater if it’s chilly.

On a serious note, the Facebook page said business casual. I’m wearing khakis and a polo. Maybe a sweater if it’s chilly.

Ah I don't have a top hat, I have a cane though! Haha and do you have a link to the Facebook page? I don't recall ever receiving on.

OOS interview this Friday (3/2) and I’m coming in tomorrow afternoon so PM me if you want to grab dinner or hang this weekend

Members don't see this ad :)
The admission dept had been so difficult for me to contact. Anyone have an experience with GPA recalculation? I wish I would have saved a PDF of my app from last year which had the calculations.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

OOS interview this Friday (3/2) and I’m coming in tomorrow afternoon so PM me if you want to grab dinner or hang this weekend
Good luck to you! If I were in Tulsa I’d take you up on that offer.

My homie is too scared of internet predators or something to make an SDN profile, so he asked me to inquire: “when does OSU start pulling fall interviewees off the waitlist?” 11/20 date of waitlist
What is the status on your friend?

Ah I don't have a top hat, I have a cane though! Haha and do you have a link to the Facebook page? I don't recall ever receiving on.
The facebook page is a “secret group.” I can’t find a link anywhere. Send me a PM with your name and I can add you on facebook and invite you.

Hey! I've got an interview coming up and was wondering about questions I should be ready for. They gave us a packet at last summers AACOMAS application workshop, however I seemed to misplace mine. Anything besides the why medicine/OSU, teach me something, or compassion questions that would be good to be aware of?

Also, I think I read in this forum that its a blind interview? is that true - the interviewers don't look at application?

Last edited:
Hey! I've got an interview coming up and was wondering about questions I should be ready for. They gave us a packet at last summers AACOMAS application workshop, however I seemed to misplace mine. Anything besides the why medicine/OSU, teach me something, or compassion questions that would be good to be aware of?

Also, I think I read in this forum that its a blind interview? is that true - the interviewers don't look at application?

Its pretty chill. I would have a good answer for why OSU, are you interested in rural med, and why DO. Those 3 I think are the make or breaks, anything else is just to make sure you arent a weirdo.

Well hopefully state legislators can procure 31 million in cash this week so both OU and OSU don't take a massive blow. Not to mention the Medicaid beneficiaries.

HB1022 passed the legislature and is on its way to the governors desk.

Accepted!! OOS, GPA 2.97, MCAT 513, Interview 3/2

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted off the waitlist this morning!
IS, 3.4 GPA, 499 MCAT
Interviewed on 2/15

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to all who have been recently accepted. Hoping for more waitlist movement today.

Does anyone here have any advice on how to submit a letter of intent? E-mail/snail mail?

Has anyone accepted had any luck getting invited to the Facebook group? If so, could you pm me and help a brother out

My interview was last week on March 8th. Has anyone from that interview bracket been accepted?

Yes back in November 17th.

I would just send an "update email" Saying all the stuff you have been up to and how your application has improved and then state whatever you want about coming to OSU for sure if accepted.

I would just send an "update email" Saying all the stuff you have been up to and how your application has improved and then state whatever you want about coming to OSU for sure if accepted.
Thanks for the reply. Any insight about how much longer they will be pulling from the waitlist? It seems like most of the acceptances posted in last years forum ended in late April.

Thanks for the reply. Any insight about how much longer they will be pulling from the waitlist? It seems like most of the acceptances posted in last years forum ended in late April.

There are people in my class and the class before accepted as late as orientation week!

Interviewed 2/1. So if I went ahead and drafted an intent letter, I would be utilizing the admissions office channel?

Interviewed 2/1. So if I went ahead and drafted an intent letter, I would be utilizing the admissions office channel?

Im not sure what the "admissions office channel" is. Can you elaborate?

Im not sure what the "admissions office channel" is. Can you elaborate?
Update emails are usually directed to the OSU-COM admissions email address. That is the channel I'm referring to.

Hey! I’m looking at getting a windows laptop for when school starts... my current one is old and on its last leg... does anyone have any suggestions for an affordable one?

Hey! I’m looking at getting a windows laptop for when school starts... my current one is old and on its last leg... does anyone have any suggestions for an affordable one?

Mac book pro! and/or Ipad pro.

Reactions: 2 users
If anybody wants to nudge the mods on the Facebook group, I was added about a week ago and haven't been approved yet

Reactions: 1 users
Is the administration on spring break this week as well? I saw on the academic calendar that they it looks like students have one this week

Is the administration on spring break this week as well? I saw on the academic calendar that they it looks like students have one this week

I’m pretty sure admin has one too. I wouldn’t expect anything this week, and if you hear something then consider it a spring surprise