2017-2018 Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (OSU-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DNC hit it on the head. Also you should change your profile pic

Awesome, thanks guys
Yeah from Idaho, pretty surprised to get an interview here. Trying to learn more about the school, what do you guys like most about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! It was nice to meet those of you who came to visit OSU on your interview day. They aren't kiddin' when they say half the class is wait-listed in the beginning. I think it is smart how they do it like that. It saves time and effort and you can narrow down your selection to the students that are qualified and who really want to be here. Just know, that based on our class statistics, there are thousands of applications sent in, but over half of those who were given interviews actually matriculated into the program. This is an amazing school, we have amazing faculty and staff, and a family-like atmosphere. I think anyone who chooses to come here will not regret it. Also, we had a meeting earlier this year about residency information..without saying too much, just know that OSU is in very good hands. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. Also, I see a few other OSU students are on here, too! That's pretty cool!

Awesome, thanks guys
Yeah from Idaho, pretty surprised to get an interview here. Trying to learn more about the school, what do you guys like most about it?

You can PM me if you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS, got an II yesterday. sooooo torn on going as I literally just paid a deposit at another school, but I would love to be at this school. Definitely will have to decide by the end of the day though.

OOS, got an II yesterday. sooooo torn on going as I literally just paid a deposit at another school, but I would love to be at this school. Definitely will have to decide by the end of the day though.

As a fellow OOS who goes to OSU, if the other school isn't PCOM, MSU, or mayyybe rowan I would suggest coming to interview. Generally I think these 3-4 schools offer opportunities most DO schools dont.

Reactions: 1 users
As a fellow OOS who goes to OSU, if the other school isn't PCOM, MSU, or mayyybe rowan I would suggest coming to interview. Generally I think these 3-4 schools offer opportunities most DO schools dont.
Thanks for making the decision like 10 times harder haha :) seriously though thanks for the input! Definitely more to consider!

Thanks for making the decision like 10 times harder haha :) seriously though thanks for the input! Definitely more to consider!

It really shouldn't even be a consideration. Also our deposit is only like $100 bucks and is refundable so the only money you lose is what is spent on the trip to the interview.

It was good to meet those of you that interviewed/ helped with interviews yesterday. For those with interviews coming up, relax. It's very laid back.

It was good to meet those of you that interviewed/ helped with interviews yesterday. For those with interviews coming up, relax. It's very laid back.
I was thrown off by the interview sign yesterday, I knew the groups were interviewing on the 18th, but I thought it was every Thursday! I hope everyone enjoyed their time. This is the part of the process where you can actually enjoy your time traveling and meeting new people, eating different foods all over the country, and having multiple mini-vacations. Once you get into medical school, the new fun begins - especially with the newer curriculum they implemented with our class. I love it, though!

Congrats!! its a very relaxed interview. what are your stats if you dont mind me asking

Is this whole process just random? I’m in state with stats above the “competitive applicant” criteria and I haven’t had an II yet. I’m beginning to think somebody is out to get me lol...Also, I got an invite to something called the Hill Open House in Norman. Anybody have information on what that event is like?

Members don't see this ad :)
They told us to expect a 4 week wait, with a high possibility of being waitlisted because of how early it is in their cycle. They said that this isn't a bad thing though, because half of each entering class will have been waitlisted at some point. Students told us to expect to hear back within two weeks of the interview though, so it just depends I think.

This is good to know, but isn't this reversed at other schools? Late interviewees are more likely to be interviewing for wait-list spots, while early interviewees have better options because the entire class is open. Strange.

Is this whole process just random? I’m in state with stats above the “competitive applicant” criteria and I haven’t had an II yet. I’m beginning to think somebody is out to get me lol...Also, I got an invite to something called the Hill Open House in Norman. Anybody have information on what that event is like?

Just be patient. It's still really early.

Maybe it was something you wrote or something in your app? Just cause you have decent stats doesnt mean schools are obligated to interview you...

Maybe it was something you wrote or something in your app? Just cause you have decent stats doesnt mean schools are obligated to interview you...
I sure hope my app is not the problem. I had it reviewed over and over again. And yes, of course stats alone, no matter how high, are never a guarantee. It’s just a bit peculiar that my one acceptance so far is from a school that’s out of state, that I applied to later than OSU. Know what I mean? Perhaps I should keep my thoughts to myself :(

Congrats! When were you complete? IS or OOS?

Primary June 15, secondary submitted in early July, complete by mid-July. IS. 502. 4.0. 300+ hours volunteering in the community and medical related volunteering that includes direct patient experience (triaging and so on), and working with the medically underserved. 250+ hours shadowing a plethora of specialties, with about 150 of those hours being with DOs from OSU-COM. LOR from alum of OSU-COM. Medical scribe. High volume of ECs. 1 publication.

I sure hope my app is not the problem. I had it reviewed over and over again. And yes, of course stats alone, no matter how high, are never a guarantee. It’s just a bit peculiar that my one acceptance so far is from a school that’s out of state, that I applied to later than OSU. Know what I mean? Perhaps I should keep my thoughts to myself :(

I wouldnt keep thoughts to yourself, but there are many applicants who are qualified so entitlement (whether real or perceived) is not a good look. I would just update the school with your interest if you have any updates and hope! If you have good stats and are IS you will likely get an interview.. I mean we have only been giving interview out for less than a month

I wouldnt keep thoughts to yourself, but there are many applicants who are qualified so entitlement (whether real or perceived) is not a good look. I would just update the school with your interest if you have any updates and hope! If you have good stats and are IS you will likely get an interview.. I mean we have only been giving interview out for less than a month

Seconding what DNC said. I have had 6 interviews from schools all over the US! OSU interviews late, and many students get in during February. However, you do already have an acceptance, you're going to be a doctor no matter what! :) Best advice is to volunteer in underserved areas if you have not already. That is very central to OSU's mission.

When did you have everything submitted?

No don't feel that way at all!! I totally understand your concern. Don't worry, it is still early. What you can do is send Lindsey Yoder, the director of admissions, an update on something, anything that you've done since the submission of your application! Maybe this will help bring your application back to review quicker.

If I was complete here on 09/26, can I assume I've been rejected if I don't have an interview invite by now? I know it's been less than a month, but I've heard that OSU is one of those schools with very fast turnaround time. Like, if you're going to be invited, it will usually happen within 2-3 weeks of being complete.

If I was complete here on 09/26, can I assume I've been rejected if I don't have an interview invite by now? I know it's been less than a month, but I've heard that OSU is one of those schools with very fast turnaround time. Like, if you're going to be invited, it will usually happen within 2-3 weeks of being complete.

No.

chillllllllllllllllllllllllll

No I don't think this is true!

I know it is much much easier said than done, but no one on here would be saying it if it weren't true, so just relax and don't let it stress you out. Keep in mind that for the current 1st years, their class had 2799 applications, for ~200 interviews, and ended up with a class of 116 (~140 acceptances given). So OSU is kind of picky, for lack of a better word, about who they want to interview because they don't interview too many. So with all of that being said, the admissions office is getting flooded with a lot of applications and they are trying to sort through them and decide who they want to interview. Humans can make mistakes so it is definitely easy for them to sort of look over someone. I always had a hard time bothering the admissions office because I don't want to be that person that bothered them, but who the heck cares if that means you may get into medical school.
If you keep updating Lindsay with things that have happened, even if they are small and seem insignificant, use that opportunity to shoot an email to Lindsay, or call and inquire about your application. Every time you reach out to her, she makes a note that the interaction occurred, and it reminds them that your application was there and that you in fact are an outstanding individual and why the heck haven't they called you yet!

about 2/3 of the interviews end up after the holiday mark, so there is still so much time in the application process, you're gonna be golden.

Sorry for the novel, just wanted to be comprehensive!

I'm IS, was complete nearly a month before you, and have yet to hear anything. I've heard from reputable sources that every in-state applicant with MCAT above 492 automatically gets an interview. That could be wrong, though. I'm just sharing to hopefully calm your nerves :)

I'm IS, was complete nearly a month before you, and have yet to hear anything. I've heard from reputable sources that every in-state applicant with MCAT above 492 automatically gets an interview. That could be wrong, though. I'm just sharing to hopefully calm your nerves :)
if every IS applicant over a 492 gets an interview you would think there would be more than 200 interview invites, i could be wrong though but hopefully thats true

I've heard from reputable sources that every in-state applicant with MCAT above 492 automatically gets an interview.

Unfortunately no. Not unless there are hoards of IS people applying with MCAT scores below 492

If anyone is in Tulsa to interview tomorrow and wants to get dinner, message me!

Anyone know of any acceptances from the first round of interviews yet?

Annoying questions time. So, was the first interview group 10/12? Also, last year they were only doing interviews on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, but I have an interview for Oct. 30th which is a Monday. I found that odd. Any enlightening ideas as to why that is?

Annoying questions time. So, was the first interview group 10/12? Also, last year they were only doing interviews on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, but I have an interview for Oct. 30th which is a Monday. I found that odd. Any enlightening ideas as to why that is?
So far the 2 interview dates were 10/12 and 10/18 - I believe a Thursday and Wednesday. I don't think they try to strictly follow a specific pattern. It may just be based on which day works best for the administrators and interviewers and when there aren't any other events going on around campus.

So far the 2 interview dates were 10/12 and 10/18 - I believe a Thursday and Wednesday. I don't think they try to strictly follow a specific pattern. It may just be based on which day works best for the administrators and interviewers and when there aren't any other events going on around campus.

There was a third interview day on Tuesday I believe, and yeah the dates are just what is convenient for the school. There isn't a reason for any particular days.

Has anyone from the first day of interviews heard back yet about an admissions decision?

Did anyone else get that tailgate email for this weekend's bedlam from OSUCOM?