2017-2018 Oregon Health & Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone send thank you letters to their one-on-one interviewer/ask if that's common?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't send any thank you letters or emails. I was told by someone on an adcom for MCW that they don't get attached to your file and University of Minnesota straight up told us on interview day they don't get put in your file. That being said, that's only my experience and that's only 2 schools.

Did anyone send thank you letters to their one-on-one interviewer/ask if that's common?

I sent one because I was actually impressed with how well my one-on-one interviewer knew my app (I got put on hold btw). But from what I gather, it doesn't matter. They will probably forget a minute after they read it and it has zero bearing on their decision. Just a nice thing to do. They are busy professionals who take valuable time out of their schedule to interview wide-eyed premeds like us.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Did you find out via portal or email? And did they ever confirm your status as a mission person? I’m also OOS, but applied to the MPH.

I got an email. I’m ORM (Chinese Male) and I don’t think I meet any of the qualifications for their mission statement from what I can recall

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

just rejected via portal--no email--and probably wouldn't have found out til much later if I didnt check lol. wasn't expecting much as an out of stater!

best of luck to everyone else still in the running!

just rejected via portal--no email--and probably wouldn't have found out til much later if I didnt check lol. wasn't expecting much as an out of stater!

best of luck to everyone else still in the running!
Thank you for posting. After reading your post, I checked the portal and saw that I was rejected also a few days ago, never received an email about it either. Complete late-Sep, LM 75, OOS.

Pre interview hold just now. IS RA, complete 10/5. High GPA, lower MCAT, great EC.

I did everything they told me to in order to improve my application. Last year I interviewed and was rejected 4/30. From what I know, pre interview hold is basically a rejection. I honestly have no idea why I have no love from OHSU. Was told my MCAT score wasn’t an issue last year.

Pre interview hold just now. IS RA, complete 10/5. High GPA, lower MCAT, great EC.

I did everything they told me to in order to improve my application. Last year I interviewed and was rejected 4/30. From what I know, pre interview hold is basically a rejection. I honestly have no idea why I have no love from OHSU. Was told my MCAT score wasn’t an issue last year.
Did you find out via an e-mail or the portal? My portal has not changed since it showed my file being complete back in October....

Good luck! A hold is better than a rejection.

Did you find out via an e-mail or the portal? My portal has not changed since it showed my file being complete back in October....

Good luck! A hold is better than a rejection.

Thanks :) I found out via portal, no email as of yet. I called about a month ago and was told my application was being reviewed by an additional reviewer, which is not uncommon. That was the reason why mine was taking longer than normal.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected post II, no email.
Sorry to hear about that :(. When did you interview and how did you feel about it?

Edit: oops just realized someone already asked! sorry!!

Sorry to hear about that :(. When did you interview and how did you feel about it?

Edit: oops just realized someone already asked! sorry!!
Interviewed 12/12
The interviews went great, so i thought.
Good ec's volunteer firefighter w/ ems and work in OHSU's lab. Oh well..

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 12/12
The interviews went great, so i thought.
Good ec's volunteer firefighter w/ ems and work in OHSU's lab. Oh well..
Wow that's crazy. I know they love people with "life experiences" a lot there! good luck with the rest of your applications!

Current M2 dropping in to say congrats to all already accepted! For all those who are waiting-I know how it feels, but know that no news does not necessarily mean bad news at this point in the game (both here and at other schools). We’re getting closer to end of April by the day, so hang in there!

Reactions: 3 users
Ughh still praying for an interview. Checked portal and still haven't been rejected, hope this means I have a chance.

Just interviewed today and i’m like 95% sure my interviewer just offered me a spot in their MD Class on the spot at the end of my interview with him.... he said “you’ve definitely got a spot in our school here. If you want it, that is, it’s yours.”

Im so shook right now???

Just interviewed today and i’m like 95% sure my interviewer just offered me a spot in their MD Class on the spot at the end of my interview with him.... he said “you’ve definitely got a spot in our school here. If you want it, that is, it’s yours.”

Im so shook right now???

I honestly feel like interviewers just say that kind of stuff to troll the applicants. I had an interview where the interviewer said "I hope you strongly consider us when you're deciding where you want to go to medical school" end result : rejected post II. Another at a diff school said "I think you're going to make a fine addition to our class" end result : WL. Idk why they like to get our hopes up, but hey. They also definitely know that they don't have the authority to dictate alone whether or not you are in, so they know exactly what they're doing when they say those things. It's honestly very disappointing a professional would do those kinds of things.

I honestly feel like interviewers just say that kind of stuff to troll the applicants. I had an interview where the interviewer said "I hope you strongly consider us when you're deciding where you want to go to medical school" end result : rejected post II. Another at a diff school said "I think you're going to make a fine addition to our class" end result : WL. Idk why they like to get our hopes up, but hey. They also definitely know that they don't have the authority to dictate alone whether or not you are in, so they know exactly what they're doing when they say those things. It's honestly very disappointing a professional would do those kinds of things.

Absolutely, that’s what I was thinking too but the interviewer said a few more things that id be hesitant to mention here for obvious reasons! But obviously we all speak from our own experiences and I truly thank you for reminding me to exercise caution (especially since they said 85% of the students at OHSU come from Oregon).

I will note, however, that contrary to your experience, one of my acceptances at another MD school came following a very very similar experience where their chair of admissions interviewed me personally and so I was just a little ecstatic

Absolutely, that’s what I was thinking too but the interviewer said a few more things that id be hesitant to mention here for obvious reasons! But obviously we all speak from our own experiences and I truly thank you for reminding me to exercise caution (especially since they said 85% of the students at OHSU come from Oregon).

I will note, however, that contrary to your experience, one of my acceptances at another MD school came following a very very similar experience where their chair of admissions interviewed me personally and so I was just a little ecstatic

You should rejoice in that you had such a great experience with your one on one. But also acknowledge that it could go a few ways once your full application is presented.

I had a similar experience at OHSU where they asked if I had been accepted to a very near MD school - I said I had not heard back yet. I received a comment, "Good that means OHSU is still in the running." With all of that I was waitlisted at magical #41 and then was later accepted. So take that what you will.

Rejection post pre-interview hold. No OHSU love this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Rejection post pre-interview hold. No OHSU love this year.

I'm so sorry to hear that! *Hug* This happened to me a few years ago but was interviewed this year as a reapplicant. Take some time to evaluate why you're trying to go into medicine and add some exciting new experiences that demonstrate your interest in the profession and in humanity. OHSU loves reapplicants who noticeably improve their application.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm so sorry to hear that! *Hug* This happened to me a few years ago but was interviewed this year as a reapplicant. Take some time to evaluate why you're trying to go into medicine and add some exciting new experiences that demonstrate your interest in the profession and in humanity. OHSU loves reapplicants who noticeably improve their application.

Thanks :) I applied last year and interviewed. I did what they recommended in order to improve my application, and was even told it would be unnecessary to take an additional year to gain more experience. I wish I would have ignored that advice (gone with my gut) and just taken the extra year to drastically improve my experiences. I'll be reapplying for 2020! Good luck, I bet you'll get in this time!

Just got put on hold! Glad to finally hear something back :) Now I don't need to be constantly checking my email/portal!

Just got put on hold! Glad to finally hear something back :) Now I don't need to be constantly checking my email/portal!
Welcome to the Hold Gang!

How did you find out?

I interviewed in Dec and still haven’t heard anything from OHSU! Starting to really freak out about it!

How did you find out?

I interviewed in Dec and still haven’t heard anything from OHSU! Starting to really freak out about it!
A Hold Status only shows up on the portal, there's no email for it. If it helps you freak out less, the amount of time you wait post interview doesn't seem to correlate with eventual acceptance status. Like you, I'm waiting for my app to get to the top of the pile and for my interviewer to be there to represent me.

A Hold Status only shows up on the portal, there's no email for it. If it helps you freak out less, the amount of time you wait post interview doesn't seem to correlate with eventual acceptance status. Like you, I'm waiting for my app to get to the top of the pile and for my interviewer to be there to represent me.

Thanks!

Well I looked and still no change. Just says it will be updated once a decision has been made.

Hi All!
There are a few interview days left, with that being said we are about to head into the long wait for 4/30. I just went to a coaching session with younger students and almost all of us medical students agreed that the feelings you are currently having, and will have in this time are some of the most aggravating feelings of life thus far. I went through it, and I understand those feelings. I am just here to be a cheerful bubble of hopefully joy, or a pep talk, or just a nod of internet agreement with how terrible this is. OHSU does a wonderful job picking well-rounded, amazing students and that is why it takes so long! You can take my advice or brush it off - but the best thing I can say during this time is to try to do what you can to forget about being on hold. Go outside - on a hike, a kayaking trip, a fishing trip (am I biased about outdoors activities yet ;)) Do things that make you happy and feel fulfilled no matter what that is. I am SO GLAD I did this. I was like you - put on hold..... then put on the waitlist....then having to change my lifeplans on May 31st. In the meantime between interview date of Jan/Feb to May 31st I really enjoyed myself and did a lot of things I now have absolutely no time for because medical school.
So all in all - live in the present, and understand you have done everything you possibly could at this point. I wish all of you really well, and just wanted to get this message of encouragement in before I head into the horror of finals.

In Kindness - missmartian :D:D

Reactions: 8 users
OHSU gave me the option of interviewing on April 6th. I was unaware schools interviewed past March. Is this heard of?

Hi All!
There are a few interview days left, with that being said we are about to head into the long wait for 4/30. I just went to a coaching session with younger students and almost all of us medical students agreed that the feelings you are currently having, and will have in this time are some of the most aggravating feelings of life thus far. I went through it, and I understand those feelings. I am just here to be a cheerful bubble of hopefully joy, or a pep talk, or just a nod of internet agreement with how terrible this is. OHSU does a wonderful job picking well-rounded, amazing students and that is why it takes so long! You can take my advice or brush it off - but the best thing I can say during this time is to try to do what you can to forget about being on hold. Go outside - on a hike, a kayaking trip, a fishing trip (am I biased about outdoors activities yet ;)) Do things that make you happy and feel fulfilled no matter what that is. I am SO GLAD I did this. I was like you - put on hold..... then put on the waitlist....then having to change my lifeplans on May 31st. In the meantime between interview date of Jan/Feb to May 31st I really enjoyed myself and did a lot of things I now have absolutely no time for because medical school.
So all in all - live in the present, and understand you have done everything you possibly could at this point. I wish all of you really well, and just wanted to get this message of encouragement in before I head into the horror of finals.

In Kindness - missmartian :D:D
Thank you for all the time you've spent on here cheering us up and getting us through this cycle!

OHSU gave me the option of interviewing on April 6th. I was unaware schools interviewed past March. Is this heard of?

OHSU is unorthodox, April interviews aren't common at most schools but OHSU takes every interview seriously so you should definitely attend it!

(if the lucky event that I am accepted post-hold): Does anyone know when we have to report for duty? I am trying to plan summer trips.

Any non-mission based applicants here back? Still waiting on an interview invite if I'm lucky.

Does OHSU accept updates post interview? Got a new job I think might be significant.

Have not been placed on hole yet if that makes any difference.

Yeah, I thought they definitely didn’t accept any type of update pre-interview and heard/saw that several times.

But I haven’t heard anything about post-interview.

Maybe they don't want updates hahahah. I'll email and check.

Yeah, I thought they definitely didn’t accept any type of update pre-interview and heard/saw that several times.

But I haven’t heard anything about post-interview.

When you get an interview invite, within the invite they will ask for last updates. No updates before the interview invite, and generally no updates after interview.