2017-2018 Oregon Health & Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Painfully declined my acceptance today. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
So hard to patiently wait for updates! Sitting at #41. Hoping for a big surge tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad :)
Low 30s here. Hoping for an update today!
You're good Jarstewa lol. Just a matter of time for you! Us in the 40's have a bit more to be nervous about. Hope to see you at OHSU!

Reactions: 1 user
It seems that way on an intellectual level, but emotionally I'm still sweating bullets! (What if this year is way different and it stops at 30..?) I wish you all the best of luck!!

Just checked the portal again.. Accepted!!!

Just checked the portal again.. Accepted!!!
Congrats! Portal is up to 32 now, in case anyone is curious. Not the 20 person jump I hoped for, but hey, progress is progress ;)

Congratulations Jarstewa!! I knew you were a shoe in.

9 spots away. Hoping for another jump later this week!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone getting those well deserved acceptances this week!

Hey guys, current MS1 here! Just wanted to put this spreadsheet up here in case anyone hasn't seen it yet. It's got the waitlist trends that have been posted to SDN from 2006-2017. I know it can be stressful waiting, and waiting, and waiting... but the wait list does move! I was one of the last ones (if not THE last one) to get in off the waitlist last year. Feel free to message if you have any questions; excited to meet many of you in August!

One more try...

Attachments

• OHSU Waitlist Trends 2006-2017.xlsx
    13.4 KB · Views: 276
One more try...

Thank you for posting this! I can't edit in excel, but I do have from the source themselves that in 2016 they made it up to #46, in case someone wants to make this edit for future sharing :)

Congratulations to those accepted! One by one we are making it through!!

To everyone waitlisted high (and with no other acceptances), are you going to wait another year to reappply this June 2018 or in 2019? I'm WL 100-110 and I can't decide if I need to wait until 2019 to "show improvement".

Members don't see this ad :)
To everyone waitlisted high (and with no other acceptances), are you going to wait another year to reappply this June 2018 or in 2019? I'm WL 100-110 and I can't decide if I need to wait until 2019 to "show improvement".
I'm preparing to reapply as soon as I can after making changes to my app, adding new experiences, and writing a new PS. I'm #64:(

Portal updated to #36! They only update it once a day, right?

I'm preparing to reapply as soon as I can after making changes to my app, adding new experiences, and writing a new PS. I'm #64:(

So just to clarify... you're reapplying this cycle?

29t5g2.jpg

Any OOS students that have an inclination about health insurance? Are you able to get it through the Oregon marketplace? Do you qualify for Medicaid?

Any OOS students that have an inclination about health insurance? Are you able to get it through the Oregon marketplace? Do you qualify for Medicaid?

I'm just going to opt into the school's insurance, and my student loans will pay for it.

We qualify for Medicaid and I would highly advise it. The student insurance is $8000 a year and it is also a high deductible plan of $1500 deductible with I believe $3000 out of pocket on top of the $8000 you are already paying. As with most insurances they have someone come talk to you during transition week to convince you the insurance is amazing and it is definitely the way to go.
I worked helping patients with insurance for two years prior to med school and can tell you it sucks as an insurance plan. An extra $8000 of loans a year is also extremely terrible for a student insurance plan. Most schools it is only $500-$1000.

Reactions: 3 users
We qualify for Medicaid and I would highly advise it. The student insurance is $8000 a year and it is also a high deductible plan of $1500 deductible with I believe $3000 out of pocket on top of the $8000 you are already paying. As with most insurances they have someone come talk to you during transition week to convince you the insurance is amazing and it is definitely the way to go.
I worked helping patients with insurance for two years prior to med school and can tell you it sucks as an insurance plan. An extra $8000 of loans a year is also extremely terrible for a student insurance plan. Most schools it is only $500-$1000.

I don't think my out of state medicaid will work in Oregon, and I'm pretty sure as an out of state resident I won't qualify for Oregon medicaid.

Has anyone heard from the financial aid office?

Yes.

Hey guys, I'm still waiting for my acceptance contract (apparently it was mailed yesterday) and I was wondering if the packet includes information about financial aid, or how should I go about it if it doesn't?

Hey guys, I'm still waiting for my acceptance contract (apparently it was mailed yesterday) and I was wondering if the packet includes information about financial aid, or how should I go about it if it doesn't?
No, the packet is just the contract and technical standards that you will have to sign and mail back. You will be notified of your financial aid package over email.

Just to get a sense, how is the waitlist moving this year? Is this a pretty normal pace to hit 40-50? Slower or faster?

Sweet thank! So do I have to wait for the e-mail to apply or should I follow what they have on the website? I'm not sure what to do since they didn't say much about in their initial e-mail.
What exactly do you mean by apply? Federal loans? That is done over FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid where you go through the application and designate OHSU as your school. OHSU cannot determine your financial aid packet without you having filled this out.

I don't think my out of state medicaid will work in Oregon, and I'm pretty sure as an out of state resident I won't qualify for Oregon medicaid.

You should qualify for Oregon Mcaid once you move here! I also moved from OOS

Just to get a sense, how is the waitlist moving this year? Is this a pretty normal pace to hit 40-50? Slower or faster?

This is much fast than last year, a little of two weeks ahead of last year actually. I was #41 last year and they didn't get to me until 5/30.

You should qualify for Oregon Mcaid once you move here! I also moved from OOS
This is good news, I was a little turned off by the high price of medical insurance myself, especially after reading your previous post about the high deductible. I'd imagine we will have to wait until our second year to qualify for Oregon Mcaid, mainly because only then will OOS students have been living in state for a year. Is this correct? Any other insight into how to get around to this? I was under the impression OHSU medical students didn't have a choice...Thanks in advance.

This is good news, I was a little turned off by the high price of medical insurance myself, especially after reading your previous post about the high deductible. I'd imagine we will have to wait until our second year to qualify for Oregon Mcaid, mainly because only then will OOS students have been living in state for a year. Is this correct? Any other insight into how to get around to this? I was under the impression OHSU medical students didn't have a choice...Thanks in advance.

You should be able to apply under healtcare.gov with a special enrollment period due to moving states. That's what I did.

You should be able to apply under healtcare.gov with a special enrollment period due to moving states. That's what I did.
I heard that some school gives their students step 1 resources...what about OHSU? Any subscriptions?

Has anyone been able to schedule the formal feedback session yet? So far I have called and left a voicemail a few days ago and not heard back yet.

also, they're up to #50 on the waitlist.

Has anyone received their OHSU email, or tentatively know when we will be receiving that?

Hey guys, I have recently moved to Portland to start residency this summer and have some books from med school I’d like to sell cheap to a med student. I have a mix of pre-clinical and clinical books, all of them were actually useful I found.

Would most prefer selling them all as a package and would prob be best then for an incoming student since there are Anatomy flash cards and such. Maybe $30 for everything. Have more than what is pictured like some step 2 stuff (first aid for cs/ck, master the boards ck, etc.)

Attachments

• B79A5240-E971-4189-A442-B2555BAF97E9.jpeg
    B79A5240-E971-4189-A442-B2555BAF97E9.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 89
Is there still an MPH essay? Browsing through threads from the past couple years hasn't worked to well

Hi guys,

It seems like the OHSU waitlist movement is slowing down? I have read somewhere that things can still move in June and early July. Is that true? What are you guys' predictions for this year? Hoping to drop below 100 WL!!

Think it's up to #58 today. Let's just say theoretically I'm #144: no chance, right? Worth re-applying next year?

Think it's up to #58 today. Let's just say theoretically I'm #144: no chance, right? Worth re-applying next year?

There's never zero chance but I would put very very little credence in it and you should start expecting that you will need to reapply. As a re-applicant that eventually got accepted here I would make sure you do a feedback session with the office of admissions. You should then take large obvious steps to address the weaknesses they point out (Though some students report not addressing their suggestions and still eventually get accepted). Without knowing what could be improved in your app it hard to say if you should re-apply right now or wait a year.

Last edited:
Withdrew my acceptance here and decided to go to my state school. As much as I loved Oregon, after speaking with some of the clerkship directors and other faculty, I got the feeling that OHSU really pushes students to pursue primary care. Being someone who is interested in other specialties, I did not want to limit my chances in any way (also that 90k+ COA makes me want to cry).

Best of luck to everyone else on the Alternate list!

There's never zero chance but I would put very very little credence in it and you should start expecting that you will need to reapply. As a re-applicant that eventually got accepted here I would make sure you do a feedback session with the office of admissions. You should then take large obvious steps to address the weaknesses they point out (Though some students report not addressing their suggestions and still eventually get accepted). Without knowing what could be improved in your app it hard to say if you should re-apply right now or wait a year.

What is the historical movement in July like? What do you think about this year? Any more movement?

Withdrew from the Alternate List to attend school OOS. For those still waiting, best of luck!

Look through their mission groups. High stat applicants are a mission group, but I'm not sure what percentage of people they take from that group. Their OOS matriculant stats are a little skewed because the majority of OOS students still have strong ties to Oregon. I've also heard that OHSU has minimal financial aid. Likewise, as an OOS student in Oregon, you are ineligible to get IS tuition during your 4 years. That OOS of OHSU isn't cheap.

Wondering if anyone can offer insight about flexibility with the academic achievement mission based group for OOS. They say at least 3.7 GPA and 513 MCAT, think they would consider a 520 MCAT and 3.6 GPA, or like a 510 MCAT and a 4.0?

I'm curious about the genetics course requirement. Does this have to be an upper division genetics course?