2017-2018 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Georgia Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 12/8 and got accepted via snail mail today! I also had the "pay deposit" link on my status page about a week ago so I'm assuming thats when they met to make decisions. Pretty fast turn around for me. Going to be turning down my seat though. Hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 2 users
No portal change and I use USPS informed delivery so I know there's no letter in the mail yet as of now :/

Members don't see this ad :)
No portal change and I use USPS informed delivery so I know there's no letter in the mail yet as of now :/

Same here. I'm pretty sure I double checked my address when I wrote it down on the slip of paper during interview day. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview here coming up and am really nervous about the 30-minute writing assignment. :/ I've always been a slow, meticulous writer. I do really well on writing assignments except when I'm not allowed to take my time on them. Then I just kind of fall apart. Knowing that I'll have such a short period of time to finish and cannot pre-prepare any way because all the email says is that it's a "writing assignment" is stressing me out.

I have an interview here coming up and am really nervous about the 30-minute writing assignment. :/ I've always been a slow, meticulous writer. I do really well on writing assignments except when I'm not allowed to take my time on them. Then I just kind of fall apart. Knowing that I'll have such a short period of time to finish and cannot pre-prepare any way because all the email says is that it's a "writing assignment" is stressing me out.

The writing assignment was really straightforward, and through preparing for interviews you probably already have an answer in mind for most if not all the questions that they ask. Thirty minutes was plenty of time, and they said it wasn't an issue if you couldn't answer all the questions.

I wouldn't worry so much about it. The writing assignment is to give your interviewer talking points.

A lot of people focus on getting quality answers and leave some questions blank. Be prepared to answer any of the questions posed on the writing assignment though.

The writing assignment was really straightforward, and through preparing for interviews you probably already have an answer in mind for most if not all the questions that they ask. Thirty minutes was plenty of time, and they said it wasn't an issue if you couldn't answer all the questions.

I wouldn't worry so much about it. The writing assignment is to give your interviewer talking points.

A lot of people focus on getting quality answers and leave some questions blank. Be prepared to answer any of the questions posed on the writing assignment though.
Thanks, both of you! It makes me feel better to hear they said it's alright if you don't have time to finish them. Does anyone know if your answers on the assignment factor into admissions decisions or if they're just a tool to help guide your interview?

Thanks, both of you! It makes me feel better to hear they said it's alright if you don't have time to finish them. Does anyone know if your answers on the assignment factor into admissions decisions or if they're just a tool to help guide your interview?
It’s more of a tool to guide the interview. Basically, the interviewers can only ask you questions about things you have talked about in your writing piece. It’s a closed file interview so they don’t know anything about you except what you write in that writing piece. They do get to see your MCAT and GPA and your application as a whole before making a final decision but they won’t be asking you any questions from that stuff if you don’t write about it in that writing piece.

Last edited:
It’s more of a tool to guide the interview. Basically, the interviewers can only ask you questions about things you have talked about in your writing piece. It’s a closed file interview so they don’t know anything about you except what you write in that writing piece. They do get to see your MCAT and GPA and your application as a whole before making a final decision but they won’t be asking you any questions from that stuff if you don’t write about it in that writing piece.
Thank you so much for your insight. I feel a bit better now knowing that no one (at least hopefully!) is going to be going through my written assignment thinking, "This isn't a magnificently articulate, polished essay. Rejected!"

Members don't see this ad :)

I guess this is where it depends on your interviewer. One of my interviewers was very talkative and I felt like I could hardly get a word in. I wasn't asked anything from the writing assignment whatsoever, they didn't even have my file open/ready when I entered the room (they were busy discussing the prior interviewee). Based on my interview alone, I probably wouldn't have admitted me, but I ended up getting admitted. I would use the writing assignment as a hedge against a bad interview. Drop some hints in there to prompt the interviewers to ask you for more info if they read it/notice but consider it a stand-alone part of your application that should speak for itself. That way if you get an interviewer who wants to spend 20 minutes of your only 30-minute interview talking about "back in my day" stories then the adcom will still have something to base their decision on. Also, if the interview does go off track like mine did, then smile, nod, and generally be polite with the banter because it apparently works.

I'm having a bit of difficulty knowing where to look to find information about the school. A lot of the descriptions on the website are loaded with the typical buzzword-y stuff about holistic care, a commitment to the success of our students, treating the whole person instead of the symptom, fostering diversity, encouraging preventative care, etc. There is a bit more about specific programs on the general PCOM website, but it's hard to know which, if any, of these are also available at the GA campus. While I am really drawn to this school for a lot of these reasons in addition to its great location, I'm worried any answer I provide to "Why PCOM?" will sound very unoriginal.

I'm having a bit of difficulty knowing where to look to find information about the school. A lot of the descriptions on the website are loaded with the typical buzzword-y stuff about holistic care, a commitment to the success of our students, treating the whole person instead of the symptom, fostering diversity, encouraging preventative care, etc. There is a bit more about specific programs on the general PCOM website, but it's hard to know which, if any, of these are also available at the GA campus. While I am really drawn to this school for a lot of these reasons in addition to its great location, I'm worried any answer I provide to "Why PCOM?" will sound very unoriginal.

I think as long as your answer is sincere and it doesn't sound like it was rehearsed, it would be ok. Knowing information about the school and showing that you know it would be very beneficial in my opinion. I personally answered the question stating how I was introduced to the school through my cousin who's currently a third year, then after doing more research myself, I fell in love with certain aspects (here I mentioned specific things about the school, many things that you mentioned in fact) and I stated how staying in/close to GA is important to me, and that my brother lives in Gwinett County so I like how I would be very close to him. You could also answer the question by saying why you want to go into osteopathic medicine and say why PCOM-GA would be the best place for you to learn it (location, characteristics, etc).

Reactions: 1 users
has the class of 2022 ga-pcom fb group been created yet?

Not yet that I know of but last years facebook group was made around this time.

At first student affairs sent invites to emails you provided on your contact sheet.Once I see the facebook group, I'll post on here.

Has anyone gotten an II recently? Getting kinda nervous here..

Has anyone gotten an II recently? Getting kinda nervous here..

II a couple of days ago. Had to reschedule it, b/c I already had another interview for that day.

Reactions: 1 users
Not yet that I know of but last years facebook group was made around this time.

At first student affairs sent invites to emails you provided on your contact sheet.Once I see the facebook group, I'll post on here.
what do u all/students do for the health care INS., since they don't offer anything? I wish they would have at least a medical center or something for students.

When is the medical health questionnaire due? On Nucleus, it says 6-8 weeks after the PCOM login has been received. I ask because my PCP's office is pretty booked for the rest of January and it's been 4 weeks since I received the login info.

When is the medical health questionnaire due? On Nucleus, it says 6-8 weeks after the PCOM login has been received. I ask because my PCP's office is pretty booked for the rest of January and it's been 4 weeks since I received the login info.
I can't login to mine...

I personally recommend googling 'aacom pcom georgia' for this summary sheet about the school. It's the pdf link.
Just a bit more info in one spot.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just get it done before orientation. If you don't do it in under 6-8 weeks they won't rescind your acceptance or anything like that but it is a good idea to get that stuff out of the way as early as you can so you're not scrambling in July for it.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just get it done before orientation. If you don't do it in under 6-8 weeks they won't rescind your acceptance or anything like that but it is a good idea to get that stuff out of the way as early as you can so you're not scrambling in July for it.

Awesome, Thanks for the advice! I’ll definietly try to get everything squared away as early as I can so I can prevent unnecessary stress.

what do u all/students do for the health care INS., since they don't offer anything? I wish they would have at least a medical center or something for students.

Obama care. Idk why they got rid of their health insurance either.

Where in the nucleus portal can you find these questionnaire. Is there any other requirements that needs to be submitted?

So...my portal says to pay $250 tuition deposit by jan 22. Was I accepted?

Are there still people as far back as November who haven't heard anything? Is it a bad sign if people who interviewed after you have heard back and you haven't?

Haha right, and I don't live that far away so that wouldn't be a factor.
I haven't heard back from them either. I interviewed 11/10. Nucleus won't let me log in and haven't received any other correspondence from them.

I haven't heard back from them either. I interviewed 11/10. Nucleus won't let me log in and haven't received any other correspondence from them.
Yeah I've been getting PM's from people who interviewed on 11/10 and 12/1 who haven't heard anything. It just seems strange to me.

Yeah I've been getting PM's from people who interviewed on 11/10 and 12/1 who haven't heard anything. It just seems strange to me.
I'm going to try calling them this afternoon, but I don't know how much information they will be able to provide over the phone.

I'm going to try calling them this afternoon, but I don't know how much information they will be able to provide over the phone.
Will you let us know what they say? I also interviewed on 12/1 and haven't heard anything. Thanks!:)

Will you let us know what they say? I also interviewed on 12/1 and haven't heard anything. Thanks!:)
Yeah! I tried calling a couple of times but nobody is answering. I hear there is a winter advisory in effect so campus is likely closed.

Yeah! I tried calling a couple of times but nobody is answering. I hear there is a winter advisory in effect so campus is likely closed.
Yeah, Gwinnett County schools are closed. A lot of counties' are, including mine, even though absolutely nothing has happened outside lol... I was born and raised in Maryland before moving to Georgia and the reactions to winter weather here always amuse me. I do understand Georgia's not as equipped as Maryland/other states in the north though.

II received on 1/5/18 for 1/12/18 LizzyM is 58 hope this helps. Also will the interview be closed or open file?

II received on 1/5/18 for 1/12/18 LizzyM is 58 hope this helps. Also will the interview be closed or open file?
Closed file

For my group on Jan 5, they gave us 30 minutes to answer ~6 questions on a Word Doc (in the library computer lab, before the tour). Then you print out 2 copies for your interviewers. It's a blind interview and the responses to those questions tend to lead the interview. The interviewers are permitted to ask follow-up questions related to any information you provide in your written responses.

Closed file

For my group on Jan 5, they gave us 30 minutes to answer ~6 questions on a Word Doc (in the library computer lab, before the tour). Then you print out 2 copies for your interviewers. It's a blind interview and the responses to those questions tend to lead the interview. The interviewers are permitted to ask follow-up questions related to any information you provide in your written responses.

That sounds like some frenzied typing, lol. Thanks for the info though!

congrats!! my lizzy is similar; do u mind sharing your actual stats? im just trying to see if i have a chance here. I've been complete for like ever.

Where exactly are people seeing this $250 deposit as a pre-indication that they’ve gotten accepted??