2017-2018 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Georgia Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, I was speaking to a few apartments near campus and they requested that I provide them a copy of a document that summarizes the financial aid I will receive in order to sign up for an apartment. Can @getfat or anyone that has signed up for an apartment near the school clarify which document I should provide them and where I can obtain it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I was speaking to a few apartments near campus and they requested that I provide them a copy of a document that summarizes the financial aid I will receive in order to sign up for an apartment. Can @getfat or anyone that has signed up for an apartment near the school clarify which document I should provide them and where I can obtain it?

Its called an award letter. Contact financial aid and they will provide you a pdf with proof of loans to your housing complex. Had zero issues with any apartment letting me lease with this.

Reactions: 1 user
Its called an award letter. Contact financial aid and they will provide you a pdf with proof of loans to your housing complex. Had zero issues with any apartment letting me lease with this.
Thanks man!

Members don't see this ad :)
Called the school today and told me that the waitlist movement has considerably slowed down. For those of us in the waitlist good luck to you this remaining cycle but there’s always the next application cycle.

Just in case anyone hasn't seen yet. The school DO council posted a PDF for the incoming class in the facebook group. It has some good information.

Called the school today and told me that the waitlist movement has considerably slowed down. For those of us in the waitlist good luck to you this remaining cycle but there’s always the next application cycle.
Aw man :/ that's not cool.

OMG I got accepted!! My portal shows a deposit link!! Goodluck for all of you still on the waitlist!! Anything can happen from now until the classes start in August!!

Reactions: 11 users
Hey guys! It was a lot of fun to meet some of you at the luncheon!

I understand they threw a lot of info at you so I wanted to provide a quick summary of what all the speakers said.

• Don't blow off the fluff classes. Every one matters in making the best physician you can be.
  • Take advantage of every opportunity the school gives you to be better
  • Boards studying starts on the first day by doing well in classes.
  • Prepare yourself to be ready on day one (I think I said this 20x lolz) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. be ready
  • DO council is giving you a check list in your PCOM email soon. Make sure you have access to your email. talk to student affairs if you are having issues.
  • If you haven't gotten your financial aid in order yet (FAFSA, Grad plus) get it done now! Talk to Financial aid now if you are having any issues.
  • The school has a lot of resources if you are struggling. Don't hesitate to reach out (professors, 2nd years, admin) if you are struggling. It happens to all of us at one point or another. Its important to know when to ask for help.
Since were on student doctor and I'm sorta anonymous , I'll add some of my advice for first years at GAPCOM (other current students please provide your own advice).
  • BE PREPARED TO GUN ON DAY ONE. Do the best you can do on your first SPOM test. Get an idea of what you need to do and understand what will work and won't work in medical school.
  • If you do well (>80). Then you can decide to dial back to an extent and reach a point where you have a life. Slowly dial back. For example, if you had 5 passes of material and you do well. Change it to 4 passes. etc etc
  • If you don't do well (< 70). TALK TO SOMEBODY. Change your study habits and find out what you did wrong. You need to figure out the "medical school game" better.
  • For first term focus only on the material. Don't try to determine what is "board relevant". Anatomy is such a small portion of boards I wouldn't worry but if you fail SPOM you can't sit for boards.
  • The fluff classes are an necessary evil (IPE specifically). Sit in them and just get them over with. Don't complain to people about them because you don't want to be labeled as a "problem student". Do flashcards during this nonsense class.
  • OMM isn't as bad if you figure out the "game" behind it. The goal here is to be as efficient as you can. Spend as little time on it and focus on your main classes.
  • PCS is another class where you want to be as efficient as you can. Find out whatever you need to do in order to spend as little on this as possible.
  • PCBM is yet another class where you want to be as efficient as you can. Find out whatever you need to do in order to spend as little on this as possible.
I'm probably forgetting something but I will edit it as it comes to my mind. Congrats on getting into medical school!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Augmenting what the above post.

First, do not blow off OMM. Spend a it more time on it. At least get the foundation down well since everything is built upon that. However, don't spend too much time and neglect your block subjects.

PCS: learn and memorize as much as you can but like the above post. I would ot worry much about it until second year when things art coming together.

Boards exam do require you to know OMM both the foundations and treatments. Things you learn in PCS could help with Level I and Level II PE. It is useful for both COMLEX and USMLE

Remember this is a marathon not a sprint.

Reactions: 1 users
First, do not blow off OMM. Spend a it more time on it. At least get the foundation down well since everything is built upon that. However, don't spend too much time and neglect your block subjects.

@GrumpyMS makes a great point. This isn't a fluff class like PCBM, PCS, IPE. You can actually fail this class if you are not careful. There's definitely a game behind doing well in OMM. Focus on the anatomy. Don't think too hard about the why behind it.

Accepted via snail mail yesterday from the waitlist!

Reactions: 9 users
@GrumpyMS makes a great point. This isn't a fluff class like PCBM, PCS, IPE. You can actually fail this class if you are not careful. There's definitely a game behind doing well in OMM. Focus on the anatomy. Don't think too hard about the why behind it.

What are the flashcard apps that you use? I've seen alot of people mention zanki, firecracker, etc etc
More specifically, which ones are the most cost-efficient in your experience?

Thanks

What are the flashcard apps that you use? I've seen alot of people mention zanki, firecracker, etc etc

Thanks

Zanki is a completely free pre-made deck for USMLE step 1 with around 25,000 flashcards that you upload into Anki which is also free. Firecracker is not free, I believe its a minimum 100$ for 3 months. The benefit of these is that the flash cards are made for you and all you have to do is study them. I personally think, at least for first year, that you get a lot more out of making your own cards. This is because the professors write questions that come straight out of their powerpoint lectures. Zanki and Firecracker make their cards out of board material such as First Aid and Pathoma and as such they won't cover all the things that your profs will cover. If you decide you like using pre-made decks than check out reddit.com/r/medicalschoolanki

I would get acclimated to using Anki. It is by far the best flashcard software out there and it is totally free. That being said, it is not perfect and there is a bit of a learning curve to properly and quickly making cards. Check out a few youtube videos on Anki tutorials and get the Image Occlusion add-on. It is super clutch for memorizing anatomy. I made my own flashcards out of lecture material during first year and it worked out for me. Starting first year already knowing how to use Anki will be really helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Zanki is a completely free pre-made deck for USMLE step 1 with around 25,000 flashcards that you upload into Anki which is also free. Firecracker is not free, I believe its a minimum 100$ for 3 months. The benefit of these is that the flash cards are made for you and all you have to do is study them. I personally think, at least for first year, that you get a lot more out of making your own cards. This is because the professors write questions that come straight out of their powerpoint lectures. Zanki and Firecracker make their cards out of board material such as First Aid and Pathoma and as such they won't cover all the things that your profs will cover. If you decide you like using pre-made decks than check out reddit.com/r/medicalschoolanki

I would get acclimated to using Anki. It is by far the best flashcard software out there and it is totally free. That being said, it is not perfect and there is a bit of a learning curve to properly and quickly making cards. Check out a few youtube videos on Anki tutorials and get the Image Occlusion add-on. It is super clutch for memorizing anatomy. I made my own flashcards out of lecture material during first year and it worked out for me. Starting first year already knowing how to use Anki will be really helpful.

Thanks, I saw that Anki was free and thats a huge plus. Not to mention one can make their own deck, which like you said, would probably be the most helpful starting out.

Thanks

+1 to what @MakeLifeHappen13 said. At least for first year a ton of questions were first order. They maybe had 1-3 out of 20 questions that were third order or a question that was not specifically stated in a bullet point.

We have one professor that likes to get a little obscure asking questions but theres nothing that you can really do about it. You aren't sure where she pulled the questions from a powerpoint or she makes the question stem very hard to understand. It is what it is and I'm sure every school has a problem with professors like this.

+1 to what @MakeLifeHappen13 said. At least for first year a ton of questions were first order. They maybe had 1-3 out of 20 questions that were third order or a question that was not specifically stated in a bullet point.

We have one professor that likes to get a little obscure asking questions but theres nothing that you can really do about it. You aren't sure where she pulled the questions from a powerpoint or she makes the question stem very hard to understand. It is what it is and I'm sure every school has a problem with professors like this.

Awesome, thanks. I actually have another question about external literary sources:

Did you buy any supplementary literature in addition to the ones you get in PDF format? Another incoming year one mentioned getting a physical copy of an anatomy book, which I think would probably be a good idea. I know you mentioned at some point (I forget where) that you never took pure human anatomy in undergrad, so what resources really helped you out in that subject? (I never took anatomy either).

OMG I got accepted!! My portal shows a deposit link!! Goodluck for all of you still on the waitlist!! Anything can happen from now until the classes start in August!!
Dude!!! I'm so happy for you man:):laugh: Sorry I'm a little late, but this really made me happy.

Awesome, thanks. I actually have another question about external literary sources:

Did you buy any supplementary literature in addition to the ones you get in PDF format? Another incoming year one mentioned getting a physical copy of an anatomy book, which I think would probably be a good idea. I know you mentioned at some point (I forget where) that you never took pure human anatomy in undergrad, so what resources really helped you out in that subject? (I never took anatomy either).

Personally, the only textbook I bought in first term was Netter's Anatomy. The question bank was pretty good and the flashcards were helpful. Personally, Netter's and NetAnatomy was good enough for the practical. The written is whole other beast. For the written I focused on only the power-points and sometimes referred to youtube for embryology. Don't try to use outside resources. Most of the questions are first order.

FYI. There is anatomy textbooks in the lab that you will use so you don't need to bring your personal atlas into the lab. Also there's a lot of options (Gilroy's and others) for an anatomy atlas. All have pro's and cons based on the orientation, cuts and presentation of the specific drawing. I know that if you join SOMA you get a free gilroys textbook.

Personally, the only textbook I bought in first term was Netter's Anatomy. The question bank was pretty good and the flashcards were helpful. Personally, Netter's and NetAnatomy was good enough for the practical. The written is whole other beast. For the written I focused on only the power-points and sometimes referred to youtube for embryology. Don't try to use outside resources. Most of the questions are first order.

FYI. There is anatomy textbooks in the lab that you will use so you don't need to bring your personal atlas into the lab. Also there's a lot of options (Gilroy's and others) for an anatomy atlas. All have pro's and cons based on the orientation, cuts and presentation of the specific drawing. I know that if you join SOMA you get a free gilroys textbook.

THANK YOU!!

Accepted off of the wait list yesterday! Scrambling to get everything together now

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted off of the wait list yesterday! Scrambling to get everything together now

Make sure not to forget:

-Health questionnaire
-Background check
-Deposits
-Official Transcripts
-Technical standards
-Loan applications
-Financial aid/FAFSA
-Direct deposit form
-Join the facebook group and check out the transition manual to see what you need to buy to be prepared (there's a few packages being offered but you can also buy all of it off amazon)
-Living arrangements, still not too late to find roommates and places to stay (budget tool helps with this)

This is what I can remember off the top of my head, feel free to add anything if I missed something

Congrats future DOctors! :D

Can any current students provide tips for getting involved in research at GA-PCOM? I visited the 'research resources' section of myPCOM to look for opportunities but didn't find anything

Can any current students provide tips for getting involved in research at GA-PCOM? I visited the 'research resources' section of myPCOM to look for opportunities but didn't find anything

Depends on what you are trying to do. Would focus on first term right now.

Most of my classmates didn't worry about research until winter/spring term. Its pretty easy, you just google what specific professors are doing. Email them and most are more than happy to take you on.

Towards the end of spring term, DO council started getting request for medical students that wanted to do research. Low likelihood of publishing because it was mostly basic science research but the opportunity was there.

ACE your first class (SPOM) and you'll have zero issues getting into research with the professors that are frequently pumping out papers. All the professors know who the top of the class are.

anyone know when we’re getting our class/exam schedule?? @getfat ?

Don't know a specific date yet. Last year it was around this time (mid July) so you should get something soon. The school usually works in bunches (they'll have moments where it seems like they are doing nothing and then suddenly for a week it will seem like they are doing everything). If you email student affairs I'm sure you can get a schedule of your test dates if you are trying to plan for life events. You'll get a bunch of emails soon I'm sure (within the next 1-2 weeks).

will be withdrawing soon, so another spot will be open for you waitlisters!

I withdrew on Friday, so another spot should be opening up soon!

Any idea how often the ophthalmoscope/otoscopes are used? Could we make it by borrowing one or should we purchase one ourselves?

Any idea how often the ophthalmoscope/otoscopes are used? Could we make it by borrowing one or should we purchase one ourselves?

You need it for one FEW (patient interview/exam) and one OSCE. You can always just borrow from a friend as long as you aren’t going at the same time. My opthalmoscope was broken and I just borrowed from a friend when i needed it. It was too dam expensive too buy for just 1 exam.

Oh and worst case, there is an opthalmoscope and otoscope that is connected in every exam room that you are encouraged to use.

Like @MakeLifeHappen13, my opthoscope broke early in the year as well so I didn't get the chance to use it. Still going through nonsense with Welsch-Allan to get it fixed. At the end of the year, Dr. Hogue started showing us how to really use our opthoscopes but before that it was pointless. Personally, I only needed it when we were in small groups practicing. That was 2 Thursdays of the entire year.

During FEW and OSCE, I utilized the wall instruments because I hate carrying things into exam rooms.

I want to stress to anyone thinking about what to get for PCS equipment. "GO FOR THE CHEAPER BRAND".

For first year, they mostly just teach you the mechanics of physical examination. How to take blood pressure, where to put your stethoscope, etc. They don't really teach you the why behind anything you are seeing/hearing. Getting a really nice stethoscope, opthalmoscope is pointless for first year.

I want to stress to anyone thinking about what to get for PCS equipment. "GO FOR THE CHEAPER BRAND".

For first year, they mostly just teach you the mechanics of physical examination. How to take blood pressure, where to put your stethoscope, etc. They don't really teach you the why behind anything you are seeing/hearing. Getting a really nice stethoscope, opthalmoscope is pointless for first year.

So you recommend only purchasing a Stethoscope and nothing else? Is there a particular Stethoscope that you recommend?

So you recommend only purchasing a Stethoscope and nothing else? Is there a particular Stethoscope that you recommend?

not exactly. It doesn't hurt to have the equipment when you practice with your classmates. Just don't get the more expensive pack, it is pretty pointless. Last year, PCS noted you didn't need the equipment until October. This policy may have changed so I would double check during orientation.

I have a littmann cardio IV. You'll be fine with the basic version of littmann. Just make sure you have it either engraved or marked so you know which one is yours.

did anyone submit a photo for their ID? it’s under the list of things we have to do before matriculation on the MYPCOM site but none of the emails i’ve gotten ever mentioned anything about it

did anyone submit a photo for their ID? it’s under the list of things we have to do before matriculation on the MYPCOM site but none of the emails i’ve gotten ever mentioned anything about it

They use the photo they took of you during your interview day.

not exactly. It doesn't hurt to have the equipment when you practice with your classmates. Just don't get the more expensive pack, it is pretty pointless. Last year, PCS noted you didn't need the equipment until October. This policy may have changed so I would double check during orientation.

I have a littmann cardio IV. You'll be fine with the basic version of littmann. Just make sure you have it either engraved or marked so you know which one is yours.

I just received an email from the DO council that stated we need the equipment on the first day of class and the different packages they offer. The Welsch-Allan Otoscope/ Ophthalmoscope seems to be pretty expensive for "just practicing with classmates". is there a different brand that you recommend getting from elsewhere that'll serve the same purpose?

I just received an email from the DO council that stated we need the equipment on the first day of class and the different packages they offer. The Welsch-Allan Otoscope/ Ophthalmoscope seems to be pretty expensive for "just practicing with classmates". is there a different brand that you recommend getting from elsewhere that'll serve the same purpose?

DO council has a better idea what is happening to your specific class than I do.

PCS (Doctoring Class) is constantly improving on a year by year basis. For our class, we focused on extremities and taking vitals at the beginning. So you really only needed a stethoscope and blood pressure cuff for first term. So faculty was fine with a portion of our class not having the equipment until October.

Its possible your class will undergo PCS differently and they may need the equipment. I am not going to act like I know everything.

Thats weird that Welcsh-Allan is the only option. Is there any options with "The Medical Store"?

Anyone know when we will have exam schedules? It's getting pretty close to start time and I need to plan my weekend forget the world trips.

D.O. Class of 2022

Anyone know when we will have exam schedules? It's getting pretty close to start time and I need to plan my weekend forget the world trips.

D.O. Class of 2022

Same! I heard we get them during orientation

In the class FB page I believe people have listed some alternatives. I went with the Gurin brand on Allheart.com and got the O/O scopes for ~$100. I think you can probably find something cheaper elsewhere. Someone from the DO council said that they don't have any specific requirements, so we shouldn't buy an expensive one unless you really want to.

DO council has a better idea what is happening to your specific class than I do.

PCS (Doctoring Class) is constantly improving on a year by year basis. For our class, we focused on extremities and taking vitals at the beginning. So you really only needed a stethoscope and blood pressure cuff for first term. So faculty was fine with a portion of our class not having the equipment until October.

Its possible your class will undergo PCS differently and they may need the equipment. I am not going to act like I know everything.

Thats weird that Welcsh-Allan is the only option. Is there any options with "The Medical Store"?

I just noticed they have other brands that are quite a bit cheaper in the same store.

In the class FB page I believe people have listed some alternatives. I went with the Gurin brand on Allheart.com and got the O/O scopes for ~$100. I think you can probably find something cheaper elsewhere. Someone from the DO council said that they don't have any specific requirements, so we shouldn't buy an expensive one unless you really want to.

I'll probably purchase that one as well. Seems to be the cheapest one.

Did you buy the American Diagnostic Corporation brand for the O/O scopes, instead of the Welch Allyn brand?

I've heard some students talk about nucleus. Is this the same thing as the 'mypcom portal'?

I've heard some students talk about nucleus. Is this the same thing as the 'mypcom portal'?

Yup this was the older version we used up until last year. A lot of students and administrators will accidentally refer to it as "nucleus". IT at the original campus made a huge update and changed a lot of things.

Hey guys! I'm excited to meet you all at orientation week!

I wanted to give you all an update if you haven't noticed yet.

Incoming classes are now going to be on a A/B/C/F grading scale. Previous classes are on a numerical grading scale. PCOM (like most schools) were never a pass/fail and utilized this numerical grading system (x/100).

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out to DO council or PM me.

Hey guys! I'm excited to meet you all at orientation week!

I wanted to give you all an update if you haven't noticed yet.

Incoming classes are now going to be on a A/B/C/F grading scale. Previous classes are on a numerical grading scale. PCOM (like most schools) were never a pass/fail and utilized this numerical grading system (x/100).

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out to DO council or PM me.

was there a reason for this? in your opinion do you see this as helping or hurting us?