2017-2018 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II just now at my top choice!! so excited to visit
Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats and when you were complete?

Members don't see this ad.

Sure. Complete 07/11, LM=65 and D.O LOR
You give me hope sir! I was beginning to think I got a rejection because I was complete about the same time. Good luck, and congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can also take questions for HPSP students or those interested in HPSP.

PCOM produces the most American military physicians of any medical school from what I understand.

2011 alum, happy to answer questions
How was your overall experience at this school? How were your classmates in terms of getting along or just the general environment? How about your clinical rotations? Do you think they adequately prepared you for residency and you matched the speciality of your choice? And finally, is it always sunny in Philadelphia?

Had an interview here last week. I was very impressed with the school except the food.

Hello everyone, how long did it take them to reply back regarding interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long after submitting your primary does it take to receive a secondary?
Normally it takes less then a week, but this is a high volume time period to be applying so it may be longer then that by now. If more then 14 business days pass I would reach out to them

I think it took them like 6 or 7 days... they don't send them out automatically like some schools.

Yeah they do. PCOM does not screen (except for things like are you a US Citizen, etc). Trust me, I got a secondary. They just don't.

Yeah they do. PCOM does not screen (except for things like are you a US Citizen, etc). Trust me, I got a secondary. They just don't.

I also got a secondary.. I'm not saying they screen, they just dont send within a few hours as some schools do (hence my use of the term "automatically"). I never said they screen applicants.

I submitted last tuesday and still no secondary. I will follow up with admissions on friday morning if I dont her anything by then. Thanks for the help.
First your application has to be verified and then they have to put it in their system and then you get the email. They only put applications in their system once a week so you need to be patient. It is hard but you just have to do it

Had an interview here last week. I was very impressed with the school except the food.
What kind of food did you expect. We had a sandwich chips and cookies. Most in my group barely ate because of nerves. If you are there for breakfast you can get what you want. I asked why they did not do that for lunch and it is because the cafeteria gets too crowded and it would take too long. I interviews at a school that gave out box lunches which tasted like they had been in the box for a very long time.

What kind of food did you expect. We had a sandwich chips and cookies. Most in my group barely ate because of nerves. If you are there for breakfast you can get what you want. I asked why they did not do that for lunch and it is because the cafeteria gets too crowded and it would take too long. I interviews at a school that gave out box lunches which tasted like they had been in the box for a very long time.
Yeah seriously, some schools lunches they give out are not edible. But you're not there for the food, remember that!

Yeah seriously, some schools lunches they give out are not edible. But you're not there for the food, remember that!
PCOM is one of my top choices, but to be honest, I've interviewed at 6 places so far and of all of them, PCOM did the least to promote there school. Most schools rolled out the red carpet to recruit interviewees, tons of 1/2 year students, huge catered lunches and breakfasts in very very nice conference rooms. UT Houston (McGovern) for one, must have had over 120 1st and second year students participating. They even brought in an the student acapella group "the skele-tones" who were amazing.

I like PCOM I just definitely expected they would be recruiting harder and showing off there school.

PCOM is one of my top choices, but to be honest, I've interviewed at 6 places so far and of all of them, PCOM did the least to promote there school. Most schools rolled out the red carpet to recruit interviewees, tons of 1/2 year students, huge catered lunches and breakfasts in very very nice conference rooms. UT Houston (McGovern) for one, must have had over 120 1st and second year students participating. They even brought in an the student acapella group "the skele-tones" who were amazing.

I like PCOM I just definitely expected they would be recruiting harder and showing off there school.
I think it is because they know they're the top dog for DO, and figure they don't have to do anything to sell themselves with theatrics because their reputation is the only selling point they need.

I think it is because they know they're the top dog for DO, and figure they don't have to do anything to sell themselves with theatrics because their reputation is the only selling point they need.
Agreed

Are they considered top dog because of their rotation sites mostly?

Are they considered top dog because of their rotation sites mostly?
They're one of the original 3 DO schools, so have over 100 years of experience and alumni. Most schools modeled their curriculum and design of facilities around them. Then you add in that they're in Philadelphia and have rotations and residence placement into some of the top hospitals in the country, and it is hard for them not to be a top dog in the DO world.

Reactions: 1 users
They're one of the original 3 DO schools, so have over 100 years of experience and alumni. Most schools modeled their curriculum and design of facilities around them. Then you add in that they're in Philadelphia and have rotations and residence placement into some of the top hospitals in the country, and it is hard for them not to be a top dog in the DO world.
Gotcha. Just curious! Recently interviewed at KCU who boasted the best COMLEX scores in the nation and really impressed me with the interview day. PCOM must be firmly seated at the top to not really put much effort into their interview day haha.

I just interviewed at this school and I really like it! Everyone is so friendly and is willing to cheer you on. While on tour students would say "good luck" and it was a really positive experience. I wasn't very interested in this school but now I really like it and want to go here!!!

What are the other 2 original DO schools?

Complete 9/19. Still waiting to hear back. Good luck all!

Would it be too late to submit a secondary here? I received the secondary invitation about a month ago, but put it off because I was so stumped by the essay prompt and overwhelmed by the number of essays I had to write for secondaries... But now that I've finished most of my apps I feel like revisiting PCOM's. Kicking myself now if it's too late because this was definitely one of my top choices.

Would it be too late to submit a secondary here? I received the secondary invitation about a month ago, but put it off because I was so stumped by the essay prompt and overwhelmed by the number of essays I had to write for secondaries... But now that I've finished most of my apps I feel like revisiting PCOM's. Kicking myself now if it's too late because this was definitely one of my top choices.

It's not ideal but not too late OP.

You miss 100% of the shots that you don't take

Reactions: 2 users
Submit bro!! It’s never too late!!

PCOM's admissions website states that applications are reviewed in the order they are received, however their secondary invite email says that admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis, post interview, beginning October. My question is, are interview invites potentially sent out in a non-rolling fashion? I've seen an interview invite from someone who was complete 7/31, and I was complete just prior to that. Is there still hope for me?

I was complete 7/18 (508 MCAT, 3.8-3.95 GPA, LOR from DO) and have an interview from the GA campus later this month but no interview from PA. Should I send update letters to 'stay relevant' even if I have no real updates?

PCOM's admissions website states that applications are reviewed in the order they are received, however their secondary invite email says that admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis, post interview, beginning October. My question is, are interview invites potentially sent out in a non-rolling fashion? I've seen an interview invite from someone who was complete 7/31, and I was complete just prior to that. Is there still hope for me?

One of the first people who posted about an interview invite was complete August 1st and then others started posting that were complete before that. IMO, they may be reviewed in that order but I don't think it necessarily means they're invited in that order.

I was complete 7/18 (508 MCAT, 3.8-3.95 GPA, LOR from DO) and have an interview from the GA campus later this month but no interview from PA. Should I send update letters to 'stay relevant' even if I have no real updates?
No. You could call and check on your status just to "make sure you're not missing anything."

No. You could call and check on your status just to "make sure you're not missing anything."

Their email confirming secondary submissions says that updates are not available online or via phone/email, so that might not be the best idea. You wouldn't want to annoy them either. Just my opinion though!

501 Mcat, 3.65gpa, Do you guys think I have a shot for an interview?

Has this school sent out rejections yet?

Has this school sent out rejections yet?
Nope. They take their time with everything. I know of people last year who submitted in July and didn't get an interview until February. If this is your top choice, buckle up for the long haul and grab a snack because it will be awhile.

Reactions: 5 users
Nope. They take their time with everything. I know of people last year who submitted in July and didn't get an interview until February. If this is your top choice, buckle up for the long haul and grab a snack because it will be awhile.

Did they get in with a Feb interview? That late in the game, it seems like an interview for just a waitlist spot