2017-2018 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have a lot of II gone out? I've tried to get in touch with the PCOM office via phone and email in the past but have had zero success. This is my dream school :/

Hey eberge3, when were you complete? Seems like it's a waiting game with PCOM so don't give up hope. The admissions office also doesn't answer app status updates after your application is submitted and complete.

It's also my dream school :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I received an II for 10/26, app (with secondary) was complete 7/22. For anyone who has had their interview yet for this season, would you mind sharing a bit about it? Things of interest: interview format, closed or open file, any specific questions to prepare for, things to bring with me (i.e. resume, personal statement?). Sorry if this was asked previously, couldn't sift through this entire thread :confused:. Thanks!

I was at OMED in Philly and talked to an admission guy like 2 weeks ago. He did not tell me detail but to wait.
However I was at a PCOM event with a lot of other schools at Drexel early summer. A lady told us a lot about the app process.
I don't mind sharing if you guys don't know it already.
What she said:
DO letter is not important. She said they know lots of DO doctors are very busy and are not used to write good lors. So they would not mind if you do not have a do letter. In fact she said, if two applicants have the same stats and ecs, one with do letter one without, the chance for II is the SAME for both of them.
In addition, she said although there's no MCAT cutoff, she said >500 is what PCOM is looking for, as long as the score is 500, I guess that should be good enough? I don't know if they screen out <500 guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I received an II for 10/26, app (with secondary) was complete 7/22. For anyone who has had their interview yet for this season, would you mind sharing a bit about it? Things of interest: interview format, closed or open file, any specific questions to prepare for, things to bring with me (i.e. resume, personal statement?). Sorry if this was asked previously, couldn't sift through this entire thread :confused:. Thanks!

Would you mind sharing when you got the II, and your stats?

I interviewed in late September. The interview format is 3:1, mine was pretty laid back. It is open file, so they can ask you specific things about your application. You honestly don't need to bring anything with you to interview day except for an ID. They give you a folder with some papers in it and a pen so if you want to jot down notes about something you could use that. I really enjoyed my interview day! All the students were extremely friendly and wishing us good luck :)

Reactions: 1 users
would you mind sharing a bit about your interview day please? Just trying to prepare for format and what not.. thanks!
They're super chill. The interview could even be 15 mins like mine was. The whole day is structured to alleviate stress, IMHO. Just know your application, the why you want to do medicine stuff, etc and you should be okay.

They're super chill. The interview could even be 15 mins like mine was. The whole day is structured to alleviate stress, IMHO. Just know your application, the why you want to do medicine stuff, etc and you should be okay.
I think it depends who you get for the 3:1. Of the 7 interviews I have attended, this one was by far the most aggressive. It wasn't anything to crazy, the day/tour was nice, but it was not relaxing. It was a bit odd, not a grilling but a very forward way of asking questions, all the way down to there physical stance and body language.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how often adcom meets to discuss the candidates that interviewed?

Does anyone know how often adcom meets to discuss the candidates that interviewed?
I do remember them saying it could take 4-5 weeks. I interviewed 9/28, got a letter dated 10/6 (recieved 10/10) so the turn around was fairly quick in my case. This doesn't directly answer your question (because idk the correct answer to be honest) but it was fast-ish early on!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome aboard to those accepted!

I was complete late September. I guess I will have to wait for like another monthish

I do remember them saying it could take 4-5 weeks. I interviewed 9/28, got a letter dated 10/6 (recieved 10/10) so the turn around was fairly quick in my case. This doesn't directly answer your question (because idk the correct answer to be honest) but it was fast-ish early on!

I feel like I remember them saying they meet once a month but that could have just been a dream...

Hey everyone, current 1st year here. First got to say I'm happy I'm on this side of the boat b/c app cycle is STRESSFUL. With that said, this school is amazing. We're getting taught very well, campus is beautiful, city life is NICE, and just about everything you need is 1/4 mile from campus (groceries, food, dry cleaning, haircuts, etc.) The school is SUPER laid back we are treated as adults here as opposed to children and have a lot of autonomy.

In regards to applying, the hardest part of getting into PCOM honestly is getting that interview. We get 10k+ applicants, and I know first-hand the school tends to easily accept most of the interviewees they get early on in the cycle. Calling admissions here doesn't help much either to check on your app, they usually just say "check the bannerweb." I still wonder how I got in... higher stats do help increase your chances for interview but other than that it almost feels like drawing names out of a hat. Can't even recommend anything imparticular this school prefers in an applicant.

If anyone has any questions regarding PCOM or the app process in general, feel free to message me. Also whenever any of you feel up for it, someone who's accepted just make the FB page and get it rolling.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone, current 1st year here. First got to say I'm happy I'm on this side of the boat b/c app cycle is STRESSFUL. With that said, this school is amazing. We're getting taught very well, campus is beautiful, city life is NICE, and just about everything you need is 1/4 mile from campus (groceries, food, dry cleaning, haircuts, etc.) The school is SUPER laid back we are treated as adults here as opposed to children and have a lot of autonomy.

In regards to applying, the hardest part of getting into PCOM honestly is getting that interview. We get 10k+ applicants, and I know first-hand the school tends to easily accept most of the interviewees they get early on in the cycle. Calling admissions here doesn't help much either to check on your app, they usually just say "check the bannerweb." I still wonder how I got in... higher stats do help increase your chances for interview but other than that it almost feels like drawing names out of a hat. Can't even recommend anything imparticular this school prefers in an applicant.

If anyone has any questions regarding PCOM or the app process in general, feel free to message me. Also whenever any of you feel up for it, someone who's accepted just make the FB page and get it rolling.

That sounds about right.

That sounds about right.

When did you guys get your II last year? This school is my top choice and basically the only one I'm still pinning to hear back from, but starting to lose hope :(

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone that has interviewed - for the interview days beginning at 8am, what time should we expect to be done? Trying to plan a returning flight

When did you guys get your II last year? This school is my top choice and basically the only one I'm still pinning to hear back from, but starting to lose hope :(

I forgot when I received it in my email, but my interview was scheduled for the week of Thanksgiving last year. And naa it's WAY too early to lose hope, admissions really is a year-long process and you have until February or March to hear for an II.

I've never quite understood why so many schools do silent rejections. Wouldn't it be easier to review applications on a rolling basis (with exceptions for ppl w/really high stats who will get reviewed earlier), then make the interview vs rejection decision on the spot after a full review of a particular applicant?

I guess people like me can hold out hope (complete in early July), but seeing as most people with recent interviews were complete after me just makes me confused lol.

Reactions: 1 users
I forgot when I received it in my email, but my interview was scheduled for the week of Thanksgiving last year. And naa it's WAY too early to lose hope, admissions really is a year-long process and you have until February or March to hear for an II.
When were you notified of your acceptance?

When were you notified of your acceptance?

Roughly 3-4 weeks after? But I got mine in the mail and I'm in the west coast. Quickest way to see if you got accepted is if you get access to pay your security deposit on bannerweb.

A friend who interviews here mentioned that everyone keeps adding things to their application even after they are complete. How many times do you think that they are going to keep going back to an application to read more letters. I guess his thing was that everything should go in at once or don't expect it to be necessarily looked at. I guess he has a point.

A friend who interviews here mentioned that everyone keeps adding things to their application even after they are complete. How many times do you think that they are going to keep going back to an application to read more letters. I guess his thing was that everything should go in at once or don't expect it to be necessarily looked at. I guess he has a point.
How do you add things to your application?

They told me they don't accept updates a week ago

Interviewed here this week and loved it! Can anyone comment on the tissue program that got brought up in our lunch discussion?

The portal says you are welcome to submit significant updates to your application, (in my case, a new clinical experience), but does not give directions as to how to submit it. Anyone have any thoughts on this/a specific email address/something?

The portal says you are welcome to submit significant updates to your application, (in my case, a new clinical experience), but does not give directions as to how to submit it. Anyone have any thoughts on this/a specific email address/something?
You can update your grades after aacomas closes and new mcat scores but nothing else. I think if you try to send an update they will respond that they don't accept them.

Can somebody who interviewed this year already please DM me?

My secondary was completed 8/30... still in the silence squad. Anyone hear back for an II that was completed late august?

My secondary was completed 8/30... still in the silence squad. Anyone hear back for an II that was completed late august?
+1 completed mid Aug and nothing.

I was complete 8/8 and still no love.

Completed early September nothing yet.
Finger crossed.

Reactions: 2 users
Completed in July 17th and nothin yet :(

Reactions: 3 users
Patience everyone they aren't even working on the week of August 14th yet...trust the process

I feel your pain, complete early August...but they take their time and go about it a very weird way

Got accepted to the PCOM Georgia campus recently but haven't submitted my secondary to the Philadelphia campus (figured I'd just give one campus a shot and go from there). I know the Philadelphia campus is obviously more established and has more rotation sites, but I really liked the Georgia campus and its program. Wondering if in the long run it's better to go to the "original campus" and if it's still worth applying to Philly now?