2017-2018 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After much thought, I am withdrawing my acceptance here. I loved the school but my heart belongs to another one that I’ve been accepted to. Hopefully this goes to one of you!
I'm in the same boat. Very tough decision. Love this school.

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice on how to reach out to PCOM about continued interest? I know they do not accept updates via email and from what I've seen they may not be receptive to phone calls? I've been complete since August with silence since and trying to figure if I could do anything to help myself out a bit. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Any advice on how to reach out to PCOM about continued interest? I know they do not accept updates via email and from what I've seen they may not be receptive to phone calls? I've been complete since August with silence since and trying to figure if I could do anything to help myself out a bit. Thanks everyone!

Aside from calling or emailing and being sure all of your app materials are received and they're not missing something (it happens). I don't think you can do much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aside from calling or emailing and being sure all of your app materials are received and they're not missing something (it happens). I don't think you can do much.
Make sure your LORs are correct! I've been wondering why I haven't heard anything since I submitted my secondary in the fall and it was because PCOM wants 3 faculty letters aka 3 professors who have issued you grades. I had 2 LORs from science profs and 1 prof I did research with - not one who gave me a grade - as well as a DO letter. Since PCOM does not give status updates and their portal is pretty vague I had to do some detective work and make a bunch of phone calls, scrambling to get one last LOR for them that fits the description. My two other friends who applied made the same mistake as me lol.

So.... RT to save a life and dont make the same mistake as me. Thought I submitted early and felt confident and here I am 10 days before the deadline being a derp. Oh well...

Reactions: 2 users
Make sure your LORs are correct! I've been wondering why I haven't heard anything since I submitted my secondary in the fall and it was because PCOM wants 3 faculty letters aka 3 professors who have issued you grades. I had 2 LORs from science profs and 1 prof I did research with - not one who gave me a grade - as well as a DO letter. Since PCOM does not give status updates and their portal is pretty vague I had to do some detective work and make a bunch of phone calls, scrambling to get one last LOR for them that fits the description. My two other friends who applied made the same mistake as me lol.

So.... RT to save a life and dont make the same mistake as me. Thought I submitted early and felt confident and here I am 10 days before the deadline being a derp. Oh well...

Definitely happened to me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely happened to me too

Same but slightly different. I had two physician LORs and one of them forgot to put “DO” at the end of his name and I ended up being complete like 2 months after I thought I was bc they wouldn’t accept it and he had to resubmit. Love everything about pcom exceeeept the letter ordeals a lot of ppl seems to have lol

No they dont you are correct - confirmed with admissions lady on phone during my LOR ordeal lol

So has anyone emailed them asking about the status of their application? I don't have an II, but I'm still hopeful and want to know if there is anything I can do to get on their radar...

Withdrawing my acceptance. Best of luck to those who are still waiting to hear!

Reactions: 2 users
I've been accepted to the GA campus and am very happy to be going there, but there is a part of me that's sad that I was never invited to interview at the main campus because...idk, I can't even say why haha. I probably wouldn't even take the invite if I got it because I can't really afford to travel to PA right now. Plus, GA-PCOM has been so amazing to me already, offering me a fabulous scholarship and everything. Feelings are weird.

II TODAY WOOHOO!! I thought it would never come!
Are they still accepting people, or will this be a waitlist interview?

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II TODAY WOOHOO!! I thought it would never come!
Are they still accepting people, or will this be a waitlist interview?
There are no wait list interviews according to the school. What date were you offered?

So my portal changed from all those bullet points to just a “thank you for your interest...” but no deposit link. Super worried that’s like a rejection portal change? But Idk I couldn’t find any post with something similar to mine.
Same thing happened to me, haven’t received a letter yet but is this a rejection ?

Rejected via snail mail post interview.

Interviewed 1/18 and hoping to hear back today or get a portal update, going to have to end up paying a matriculation fee to another school tonight to hold a spot.

does anyone know what month PCOM interviews until? March or April?

thanks in advance!

wow! I interviewed 2/5 and still nothing... I'm also going to have to pay for another program to hold my seat... ughhhh
This could be good news for you then, however it seems like this school tends to give a good amount of “delayed decision” responses so you might get that at first.

I interviewed 2/15 and got my waitlist in the mail today already. Rumor has it their seats are full at the moment.

Just got the same letter but interviewed 1/10. Will be withdrawing. Best of luck to you guys.

II received today! Scheduled for 03/28. OOS, LizzyM of 68-70. In shock about receiving the invite! Looking forward to interviewing here!

Is the waitlist different from delayed decision here?

I did! My portal didn’t change at all.
No idea how long this wait is going to be to hear back after being waitlisted.
I just received it in the mail yesterday, so it might depend on how fast the mail comes. Having said that, as long as the portal doesn't change, you are still in the game!

I just received it in the mail yesterday, so it might depend on how fast the mail comes. Having said that, as long as the portal doesn't change, you are still in the game!

I got my waitlist letter yesterday, I’m just wondering how long it’ll be until I hear anything

I got my waitlist letter yesterday, I’m just wondering how long it’ll be until I hear anything
Oh! That is totally something no one can answer lol. Depends on how fast other people drop their seats and when they review it next, who from the waitlist they want to give the seats to.

Oh! That is totally something no one can answer lol. Depends on how fast other people drop their seats and when they review it next, who from the waitlist they want to give the seats to.

Yeah haha, just hoping I️ won’t have to wait up into the summer!

Yeah haha, just hoping I️ won’t have to wait up into the summer!
Rumor has it by May the waitlist will move significantly, since most people drop in April when they have to give the full deposit at schools.

Rumor has it by May the waitlist will move significantly, since most people drop in April when they have to give the full deposit at schools.

That’s what I’ve heard, a few people I️ know that we’re waitlisted last year heard back in late June. Let’s hope for the best though!

omg I know. I kept telling myself that maybe in march... but here we are...

In my mind its basically a rejection (same with MSUCOM and Rowan.. complete mid-July) but itd be nice to actually be updated lol.

Hey PCOM - Ive been complete since July. Wouldnt mind an update.
Sorry for this early morning rant, but as applicants we choose the schools we would like to apply to.....that's on us. Ostensibly schools send secondary applications based in part that we passed an initial review process meeting certain criteria and worthy of a further review for an interview. We also know that sending secondary apps are in many cases a $ profit center.....that's on the school. Most schools will at some point communicate a decision...good or bad. What really irks me is the schools that simply do nothing and go silent in giving an answer to prospective students. I am fortunate that I have been accepted into a program that I really coveted, so this is not just bitter grapes.....I do feel if we as applicants took the time to apply and spend the $ on primary and secondary applications, a school should be professional and at least inform you of a decision either way. What does that really say about how the school views its applicant pool and student body? Applying to med school is insanely stressful as it is. How about schools respecting their applicants with a simple email update or decision.?? Just my two cents!

Reactions: 11 users
Sorry for this early morning rant, but as applicants we choose the schools we would like to apply to.....that's on us. Ostensibly schools send secondary applications based in part that we passed an initial review process meeting certain criteria and worthy of a further review for an interview. We also know that sending secondary apps are in many cases a $ profit center.....that's on the school. Most schools will at some point communicate a decision...good or bad. What really irks me is the schools that simply do nothing and go silent in giving an answer to prospective students. I am fortunate that I have been accepted into a program that I really coveted, so this is not just bitter grapes.....I do feel if we as applicants took the time to apply and spend the $ on primary and secondary applications, a school should be professional and at least inform you of a decision either way. What does that really say about how the school views its applicant pool and student body? Applying to med school is insanely stressful as it is. How about schools respecting their applicants with a simple email update or decision.?? Just my two cents!
Well said! This is my second time applying, so last year I thought I did not want to be notified about a rejection, but now I see it would save the agony of waiting. My stats are not great at all so I know that my chances this late is almost none existent. (not to be pessimistic). But anyone else who thinks they have a shot stay optimistic! It is not too late and what is meant to be will be this month :) ... But yes the waiting sucks lol Wish they look letters of intent or some type of updates aside from cores and grades.

Well said! This is my second time applying, so last year I thought I did not want to be notified about a rejection, but now I see it would save the agony of waiting. My stats are not great at all so I know that my chances this late is almost none existent. (not to be pessimistic). But anyone else who thinks they have a shot stay optimistic! It is not too late and what is meant to be will be this month :) ... But yes the waiting sucks lol Wish they look letters of intent or some type of updates aside from cores and grades.

An adcom I spoke to said anyone who doesn’t receive an II by this time of year (feb/march) is essentially rejected without the letter. So even though you haven’t officially heard anything/been updated, at least people can stop “hoping” and waiting by the end of this month. It’s good to be optimistic but also not healthy to hold onto something that’s prob not gonna happen. I’m a second time applicant as well and was lucky enough to have been accepted this year but last year I never received an official rejection letter/email either. Pcoms just one of those schools. But best of luck to you

not to be completely lost here but what is the portal for pcom lol......... is it the same application summary page thats sent with the secondary invite? not really looking for a II but I haven't heard from this school since I applied so I thought I should check