2017-2018 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I interviewed I stayed with 2 third years, one of which to I went to undergrad with, and asked them the same questions. He said absolutely. Due to the rigorous curriculum and the layout of revisiting each system with pathology during 2nd year not only prepped them well for rotations, but was a great format for board prep. He said getting rotations was easy as well, though the school could help more if you have preferences.
Thank you so much for that info!! Did he happen to mention anything regarding the ability to match? (I realize he has not gotten to that point quite yet, but wondering if maybe he has heard from others?)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Today was the day Utah was supposed to hear back, right? I haven't seen too much activity. I haven't heard anything but I was in one of the last interview groups so hopefully there's more calls to be made tomorrow.

Anyone hear any updates on background check/drug test info? They said we would've heard by the end of last week...want to make sure I stay on top of all of these deadlines!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear any updates on background check/drug test info? They said we would've heard by the end of last week...want to make sure I stay on top of all of these deadlines!
So there was something on there for a couple of days, and I got on and did all my background check stuff and paid 140 bucks, but it seems like that info has gone away, so I hope I didn't waste that money

Reactions: 1 users
An email will go out most likely today.

Withdrawing my acceptance here (UT), and my file from CO. I unfortunately didn't have a good vibe about the school. I hope it goes to one of you fine folks.

For those submitting late like I did... I submitted my secondaries here on 9/30. Went to FILEC this morning for the Utah campus and received an interview an hour later. Seems like their timeline for responding varies considerably.

Withdrawing my acceptance here (UT), and my file from CO. I unfortunately didn't have a good vibe about the school. I hope it goes to one of you fine folks.
I agree about the utah campus. but the CO campus was awesome, I loved it. Would choose over a couple MD schools.

Can I ask what you mean about not having a good vibe?

I didn't have a good interview day, might have been an off day but I was excited to visit the school and came out disappointed. The school body are amazing, honest, but I've had a concerning 1 on 1 conversation with two students and they expressed their dissatisfaction with the curriculum and the way resources are shared. I did not enjoy the area where the school is located so that was also a downer. The thing that swayed me away was my interview, where I was asked "How many schools did you apply to? Do you have any acceptances? did you apply to MD programs and if so why?".

I didn't have a good interview day, might have been an off day but I was excited to visit the school and came out disappointed. The school body are amazing, honest, but I've had a concerning 1 on 1 conversation with two students and they expressed their dissatisfaction with the curriculum and the way resources are shared. I did not enjoy the area where the school is located so that was also a downer. The thing that swayed me away was my interview, where I was asked "How many schools did you apply to? Do you have any acceptances? did you apply to MD programs and if so why?".
I had a super weird interview at utah as well. Old guy, white mustache. After why medicine/why DO he spent the entire interview asking me about US foreign policy. really specific stuff, including budget questions. But like I said earlier, the CO campus was amazing, the people were awesome, etc. I would leave your file in the mix there, you can always decide not to go later.

Isn't it interesting how much the interviewer can sway us in our opinion on the school? I literally had the exact opposite experience at Utah but the exact same experience for WesternU, and it Western they ask me that question as well, but I didn't get asked that at either Utah or Colorado. I went into that interview honestly expecting it to be my number one choice and by the time I left it was not, doing very large part to the interviewers. And then after leaving Utah campus it was my first choice with Colorado just barely behind it. Definitely why we apply to a bunch of schools, one school may be perfect for someone else and horrible fit for someone. Good luck and wherever you choose to go! Thanks for the review

So there was something on there for a couple of days, and I got on and did all my background check stuff and paid 140 bucks, but it seems like that info has gone away, so I hope I didn't waste that money
Email sent today. We have until our first deposit to register

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for that info!! Did he happen to mention anything regarding the ability to match? (I realize he has not gotten to that point quite yet, but wondering if maybe he has heard from others?)
Yes actually and they spoke on it at the interview as well. They have great match rates. You can find it on their website as well I believe. IFFC they had 100% the past few years. Definitely last year at least

Yes actually and they spoke on it at the interview as well. They have great match rates. You can find it on their website as well I believe. IFFC they had 100% the past few years. Definitely last year at least
Just to chime in on the conversation, I had an awesome interview at the UT campus and was never asked if I'd applied/been accepted anywhere else.... I'm kind of surprised that would come up. But ya, I left feeling super warm and excited about the program. I too would choose it over many MD programs.

As for match rates, Dean Parks of the UT campus said RVU has a 100% match in its history.

But does a bad experience with an interviewer say anything about fit with the school? If I had a fantastic experience with my interviewer in the next room over from someone else who's having a crappy interviewer experience..does that say anything about the school or is it just the luck of the draw as to who is asking you the questions? There will always be a professor or two who you aren't going to vibe with, it makes me sad to think that a bad conversation could potentially make me dislike a school entirely. I'm glad this conversation came up because now I'm realizing I probably need to focus more on the students than my experience with the interviewer as it's obviously pretty variable
You're absolutely right, the thing is many of us interview at so many schools that we put a lot of emphasis on vibe, which is hard to quantify, yet really is important. Within 12 hours of every interview I make a pro and con list, which will include anything that I think is important at the time. And then I evaluated one week later, and when I do that I realize that a lot of the things I thought were important at the time really weren't want some distance got in there. At that one week mark I give the school a rating on a one-to-ten scale. I think that it has helped me take out the emotional impact of some things like that. Because we might have a tendency to focus on some of the negative things that really aren't as important as the abundant positive things. I just think sometimes how lucky I am to even have these options!!

For RVU Utah 2022 Facebook page, does one of us set it up or does the school?

RVUCOM has had a 100% placement rate every year of its existence.

Anyone know where the page with all the required health stuff we need to submit is?

It was under matriculation info & forms but seems to have disappeared....

Anyone know where the page with all the required health stuff we need to submit is?

It was under matriculation info & forms but seems to have disappeared....
The link is under announcements. I checked and see it there.

The link is under announcements. I checked and see it there.
I see the link to register for the studentcheck website there, but not the pdf attachment of the requirements. I'll email them next week if I can't find it!

II this afternoon! Submitted secondary on 9/3 - FILEC on 10/24

I see the link to register for the studentcheck website there, but not the pdf attachment of the requirements. I'll email them next week if I can't find it!
Once you sign up for student check and pay for it, you’ll get an email with the physical and vaccine information

Flying in Monday and interviewing the 7th, nervous as heck. That "I'm worried because I'm sick post" last month before my interview turned into an actual medical emergency that forced me to delay the interview a month. Worried by how much it was delayed but I guess silver lining is I'm more prepared (hopefully :bucktooth:). Message me if you'll be in town!

Anyone having trouble with the entire web page not showing up? Like HTTP Error 404. Over here freaking out.

Anyone having trouble with the entire web page not showing up? Like HTTP Error 404. Over here freaking out.

The portal is down this weekend until Sunday at 7. If you're talking about their general website, I wasn't able to access it via Chrome or IE on a Windows PC or via Safari on my iPhone but can get on it on Chrome on a Mac. *shrugs*

Happened to be driving through St George on my way to Las Vegas at about 6 tonight. Went just sat out of the school for a while and looked. At sunset at Red Rock is stunning. The Utah campus is so beautiful!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello! I have an interview coming up w/ RVU COM - Colorado and I am hoping that someone may have any pointers on the interview. I have perused the website-- from generally reading SDN it seems to be that your 2 person panel impacts his/her experience of the school. Also, any pros/cons in general from the school? Thank you much in advanced!

Hello! I have an interview coming up w/ RVU COM - Colorado and I am hoping that someone may have any pointers on the interview. I have perused the website-- from generally reading SDN it seems to be that your 2 person panel impacts his/her experience of the school. Also, any pros/cons in general from the school? Thank you much in advanced!
The interview is pretty laid back. Like you said, it's 2-on-1 and it's pretty conversational. I really liked my two interviewers and felt super comfortable talking with them, so I'm not sure if that impacted my experience, but they asked the standard questions like "why RVU" and "why do you want to be a doctor". My interviewers didn't ask me "why osteopathic medicine", although other people who interviewed with me said they were asked that, so I would definitely have an answer prepped for those 3 questions. Other than that, I got some other standard interview questions (like what I think my biggest weakness is) and like one or two ethics questions. I wouldn't stress too much over this interview-- just be yourself! On my interview day, they told us that they had accepted ~90% of the people who had interviewed so far. They really only invite you to interview if they want you as a student, and they make that clear to you when you're there.

Also, George (the front desk security guy) is awesome!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know how the drug test works? Do we go to a testing facility or get something in the mail? I’ve got one for a job as well and want to double dip

Current 1st year at CO campus - just wanted to bring something to the attention of current applicants...

CO campus is live-broadcasting lectures to Utah (a few lectures are broadcast to us from Utah as well). The format in which they've been doing the broadcasting has been highly distracting for me and I suspect some of my classmates as well. 1 of the 2 projection screens (50% of the screen real estate) in our auditorium has been devoted to showing a live time feed of the students sitting in the auditorium at the Utah campus. I'm not sure where RVU stands with regards to hiring more faculty for the Utah campus but right now it seems like they're providing half the service for twice the money by splitting faculty/lectures between the schools instead of each school having their own. In addition to the distracting lecture environment rife with time squandered ironing out the technological kinks to facilitate streaming between the two campuses, the division of faculty resources between 2 schools means that you won't be able to meet face-to-face with many of the professors during their office hours and instead being relegated to correspondence via phone call or email. From a strictly business standpoint, I see the merits of doing this. Unfortunately however, this is a medical school and the pursuit of higher profits is coming at the cost of its students' education. It is profoundly frustrating to receive a lesser quality education and to see the school administration profit as a result of it. Had I been aware of this prior to applying and later matriculating here, I would have chosen a different school for my medical education - even if it meant trudging through another application cycle for a chance to go elsewhere.

Hello! Is this still the situation? You mean to say 1/2 screens in lecture is just a live video of Utah students? Do you have an idea of the ratio of lectures from CO campus vs. from Utah campus? thanks!

Hey y'all, congrats on those who got II's already!

I'm a current oms-1 at CO campus willing to answer any questions I can!

As for admission, they definitely focus on the secondary. I'm originally from the east coast and my stats were definitely below average for their medians. Make sure they see you as a fit!

Hello! What are your thoughts on current format lectures? Another current student mentioned that current style is very distracting w/ limited access to some professors. Thank you so much in advanced. I have my interview coming up. :)

Interviewing 11/14 in Utah! Anybody else?

RV came highly recommended by a mentor of mine, so I was excited to get an interview, even if it is for a new campus.

Anyone know where we can find our Student ID that the background check registration asks for?

It is the login you use to access your myVista portal.
That is what I used and it took about a week and a half but it now shows on my portal that I have completed my background check.

Interview today was awesome. George + brownies rocked. My interview was extremely conversational and not stress inducing at all. Two of the guys in my group said they got a little grilled but didn’t elaborate. Everyone was super nice! I guess I’m within the first set of interviews and they meet on the 17th to decide and call the week of thanksgiving. Hopefully I get something extra to be thankful for :)

Reactions: 7 users
Interview today was awesome. George + brownies rocked. My interview was extremely conversational and not stress inducing at all. Two of the guys in my group said they got a little grilled but didn’t elaborate. Everyone was super nice! I guess I’m within the first set of interviews and they meet on the 17th to decide and call the week of thanksgiving. Hopefully I get something extra to be thankful for :)
:soexcited::soexcited:

Good Luck!!! Rooting for you!!

Yay!!!! So happy things went well in the end. Fingers crossed for you

Hey guys, can anyone provide me with information on how solid rotations are for Utah students? I've received conflicting information. Some say that they are fine, others say that they are struggling in finding sites for years 3 and 4 in Utah. I would assume that everyone has to leave the St. George area, or have they set something up with Dixie Regional? I know they have had a long relationship with the hospital in Provo. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, how have you guys been able to find housing off campus? I've been struggling in finding places online. I don't really want to live on campus in a small room for $800+ a month.