2017-2018 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also wondering what the best way to go about finding roomates/place to live is? I'm out of state so physically going to house hunt isn't really an option. Any suggestions on good housing options?
I've been looking at Trulia and Zillow online to see what options are available. Personally, bang for the buck it seems like finding 2-3 roommates and renting a house that is 30min or closer to RVU is the best way to go, IMO. I also have a Australian Shepherd and would really prefer a house with a yard for his AND my benefit. I'm planning on going out to the Parker/Denver area in March for SB and looking at some places and would be interested in talking to people about potential housing! 2Br apartments ~700-1000ft^2 would run at least $1400/mo. 3br house 1500ft^2+ ~$1800+ (1800 would be the low end, but i didn't see many 3br houses that were unrealistic)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
II today! I know it’s late but I am so pumped because it has been my dream to move to CO and this can be my chance!

Reactions: 5 users
About to fly down to Utah - interview tomorrow, hope to see some of you there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright so quick question... I’ll be going to RVU and I’m going to buy a new computer. I’m leaning towards the newer surface pro because it is a laptop, it’s lightweight, and you can annotate on the screen with notes. I know Mac is a great product though too but it doesn’t have the touch screen.. what are ya’ll going with to start med school and why?

Alright so quick question... I’ll be going to RVU and I’m going to buy a new computer. I’m leaning towards the newer surface pro because it is a laptop, it’s lightweight, and you can annotate on the screen with notes. I know Mac is a great product though too but it doesn’t have the touch screen.. what are ya’ll going with to start med school and why?
I started a MS in Biomedical Science this year as a transition to med school. RVU doesn't have computer specific requirements like some other schools. The computer I bought has all the requirements and has worked extremely well for me. I have the latest gen. of the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 i5 2-in-1 (can fold over into a tablet). You can find them for ~$700-$800. If you are not concerned with playing games, it has plenty of performance for anything we will need for medical school. Seemed to be the best cost/quality/performance in comparison to other brands I researched including the Microsoft Surface and ESPECIALLY Macbooks.

Reactions: 1 user

After ten years of buying Windows computers in flimsy cases that broke after a year or two, I finally spent the money to buy a MacBook. I tried everything--from cheapo laptops to expensive metal contraptions. Nothing lasted, and I was plagued with weird hardware glitches. The most expensive computer I bought was actually replaced in a national lawsuit after three years of constant headaches. I couldn't be happier with my MacBook. Like any computer company, it's not always easy to deal with Apple. However, the advantage is that you can interface with a real person at the store, and there are 3rd party repair shops that are licensed with Apple and will advocate for you. My computer is going on 3 years now and still feels and looks like new. If you have a student email through your school, you can get an educator's discount.

I was also looking at a surface pro or the HP Spectrex360, but haven't decided on anything quite yet. Still looking around :)

I was also looking at a surface pro or the HP Spectrex360, but haven't decided on anything quite yet. Still looking around :)
If you are at all leaning towards a full-blown laptop, I would highly recommend Lenovo. I’ve had their products for the past 7-8 years and have been incredibly pleased with their longevity and consistency.

I have a Surface Pro 4 and I LOVE it. Gets all my school needs, but at the same time, I can play my World of Warcraft with ease. Didn't expect it from something so small and light. Pretty awesome 10/10!!

I have a Surface Pro 4 and I LOVE it. Gets all my school needs, but at the same time, I can play my World of Warcraft with ease. Didn't expect it from something so small and light. Pretty awesome 10/10!!
*is presently playing WoW*. I’m thinking a Lenovo or surface pro. The surface pro is so expensive but seems great.

*is presently playing WoW*. I’m thinking a Lenovo or surface pro. The surface pro is so expensive but seems great.
I’m loving all the fellow gamers! I too am a WoW player, along with several other games.

Members don't see this ad :)
But the real question is... Horde or Alliance :)

Also for those of you SDNers that interviewed today, it was great to meet/see all of you! Hopefully we will meet again soon!

I withdrew my application/acceptance today. This was my FAVORITE D.O. school, but I received a different (M.D.) acceptance that I could not pass up. It was a hard decision as I love osteopathic medicine, but I like my other school option more. Good luck to those of you still under consideration!

The S.U. campus is beautiful! I felt like I was on vacation when I visited the school.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if we get a Microsoft Office subscription as students, or is it something we will have to purchase?

So i just had my interview. 1) george is as kind as everyone says he is! 2) this school is something special 3) I sincerely hope i get accepted. I'm really glad I decided to attend the interview after i had to reschedule.

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know how many people they interview?

Upset that my II at CO was basically taken away :((( when I went to schedule my interview there was no option to choose a date. Emailed admissions and the only available date they would allow me to interview was tomorrow morning. I’m from Illinois so that obviously wasn’t going to work out. They basically said better luck next year. Super bummed.

Do a lot of schools give out more IIs than available interview spots?

Upset that my II at CO was basically taken away :((( when I went to schedule my interview there was no option to choose a date. Emailed admissions and the only available date they would allow me to interview was tomorrow morning. I’m from Illinois so that obviously wasn’t going to work out. They basically said better luck next year. Super bummed.

Do a lot of schools give out more IIs than available interview spots?
I'm really sorry this happened! Keep checking the portal as much as you can. People move around and cancel. Good luck!

Does anyone know how many people they interview?

Well, the class size is 160, and if they accept 80% of their interviewees, that would be out of about 200 applicants. Because people cancel, decline, accept the school and then go somewhere else… I would guess that they send close to 300 II? I’m totally guessing, I don’t think this information is actually available publicly.

Reactions: 4 users
Its tough this late in the cycle, as most schools don't really interview past Feb/Mar. I went through the situation last year because I only submitted in Nov. It was tough trying to set up all of those last second interviews.

Also wondering what the best way to go about finding roomates/place to live is? I'm out of state so physically going to house hunt isn't really an option. Any suggestions on good housing options?
I talked to a current second year the other day and she said a lot of students live in Courtney Downs, Dove Creek, and Reserve at South Creek apartments. They look like pretty nice places from what I’ve seen online.

Reactions: 2 users
Its tough this late in the cycle, as most schools don't really interview past Feb/Mar. I went through the situation last year because I only submitted in Nov. It was tough trying to set up all of those last second interviews.

I was accepted to CO campus this year. My college roommate applied last year, interviewed in February, and was accepted a week after his interview to the CO campus.

Still only in the first month of the application cycle and you're already changing the minds of med schools--way to go!
I was rejected post secondary and pre-interview. I sent an email arguing my case. They offered me an interview and now I will be matriculating July 2018!

You
Got the same email, it says the reason is probably because they haven't received the MCAT score yet, which is weird because it's definitely on my AACOMAS application.
You may have realized this by now, but you have to log on to your AAMC account and release your MCAT scores. Some DO schools don't require this but it's the reason I was rejected so quickly last year. When I called them that's what they told me.

You

You may have realized this by now, but you have to log on to your AAMC account and release your MCAT scores. Some DO schools don't require this but it's the reason I was rejected so quickly last year. When I called them that's what they told me.
That wasn't the problem. They had a glitch in their system at the beginning of the application season where they mistakenly rejected a huge number of applicants. A few days later they sent another email that we were no longer rejected.

That wasn't the problem. They had a glitch in their system at the beginning of the application season where they mistakenly rejected a huge number of applicants. A few days later they sent another email that we were no longer rejected.
Oh I see

I talked to a current second year the other day and she said a lot of students live in Courtney Downs, Dove Creek, and Reserve at South Creek apartments. They look like pretty nice places from what I’ve seen online.

I've been looking at the Lone Tree area or Centennial. Both beautiful areas. They are currently building a ton of brand new homes and I know of people who are buying 2-3 at a time just to rent them out. So look out for new rentals popping up soon.

I'm sure there will be a FB page soon. I am also out of state but my college roommate is a first year there now. So we may be getting a place and may have rooms open depending on the size of the house and how many second years are in our house.

Wow. Just got the phone call. Accepted to the CO campus. Interview 2/5. I can't tell you guys how excited I am. I loved the school and will be matriculating here.

Reactions: 8 users
Quick question. Where do we submit our immunization stuff? I’m done and I went to that site we used for the drug screen and I don’t see anywhere to submit the physical and shot record. Also did anyone receive an email about a 2nd deposit due? I paid mine like a month ago when mine was due so I’m guessing it was just an error or it’s for those that were accepted later but just making sure. Thanks!

Quick question. Where do we submit our immunization stuff? I’m done and I went to that site we used for the drug screen and I don’t see anywhere to submit the physical and shot record. Also did anyone receive an email about a 2nd deposit due? I paid mine like a month ago when mine was due so I’m guessing it was just an error or it’s for those that were accepted later but just making sure. Thanks!
I also received that email! I just made sure to check my portal to see that they received my second deposit! Freaked me out for a second haha.

Wasn't the SU adcom planning to meet last Friday? Anyone hear anything today or yesterday? Nothing in the portal, nothing on SDN...

Reactions: 2 users
Wasn't the SU adcom planning to meet last Friday? Anyone hear anything today or yesterday? Nothing in the portal, nothing on SDN...
Nothing yet.. but yes they were supposed to meet last friday. Fingers crossed there may be some calls made later in the day!

Nothing yet.. but yes they were supposed to meet last friday. Fingers crossed there may be some calls made later in the day!
Same! I'm jumping everytime my phone buzzes! Sending out good vibes!

For everyone waiting to hear: my portal didn't update until the next day with my acceptance. I spent three days obsessively refreshing it, and then they called when I was totally distracted and not even expecting to hear anymore. Good luck!!! :biglove:

Last edited:
Waiting anxiously to hear as well - hang in there everybody!