2017-2018 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They're making the calls!!! Just got he call! Accepted to RVU-SU 2022!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
ACCEPTED! I loved the Utah campus. So ecstatic to go here!!! Good luck to all of those still waiting to hear!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted SU Campus!!! Congrats to everyone else accepted and good luck to all waiting!

Reactions: 3 users
Has any accepted students to the SU campus been contacted by financial aid or heard anything about financial aid packages?

Reactions: 1 user
Has any accepted students to the SU campus been contacted by financial aid or heard anything about financial aid packages?
Nope. Nothing. I’ve been accepted and that’s it really. Not too much communication at this point which stinks because I’m so stoked to attend and just want to get the ball rolling. I don’t even know what to do with the immunization stuff

Hi just curious if any current RVU student can comment on if its possible to have a dog during school and still do well in classes?
I know when I interviewed people said they have dogs, but just wanted to get some more information as far how the schedule is the first year. Thanks

Emailed admissions with an update on my file, and she kindly informed me that they are no longer interviewing because their class is full. Do they not have a waiting list?

Hi just curious if any current RVU student can comment on if its possible to have a dog during school and still do well in classes?
I know when I interviewed people said they have dogs, but just wanted to get some more information as far how the schedule is the first year. Thanks
I am not a current student, but i am in a graduate program (class 8/9am-4pm plus lab work some evenings until 7pm) and will be starting school this fall. I have a 14mo old Australian shepherd and would say that it all depends on you as an individual and as well as the breed of dog that you have. I take my breaks during the day to go home and take him for a walk, feed, play, etc. If you do get a dog, i would recommend getting one at the beginning of summer so you can work on training while you do not have any major obligations. As we all know, we are going to be very busy which means you will have to be extremely conscious of when you will be able to give the needed time to your dog. I personally study best at home, so it works out well for me and my aussie. I am able to give him the attention he needs and have been able to work on his training. Not everyone can handle the time needed for a dog, so I would say it all depends on what you believe would work best for you. It is totally doable, but realize it will take away from the free time that we will already have little of. Also, get a dog so we can have doggie play dates. :)

Emailed admissions with an update on my file, and she kindly informed me that they are no longer interviewing because their class is full. Do they not have a waiting list?
I interviewed on February 5. The admissions people who spoke to my group said that week would be the last week of interviews. She also said some people would be accepted, pending accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. So I do think they waitlist people, but probably not many spots were left at that time. Did you interview or were you still pending interview?

Was this for CO campus? I know I was the last interview date for SU on 2/7 but wanted to check if there is still hope for CO!

I am not a current student, but i am in a graduate program (class 8/9am-4pm plus lab work some evenings until 7pm) and will be starting school this fall. I have a 14mo old Australian shepherd and would say that it all depends on you as an individual and as well as the breed of dog that you have. I take my breaks during the day to go home and take him for a walk, feed, play, etc. If you do get a dog, i would recommend getting one at the beginning of summer so you can work on training while you do not have any major obligations. As we all know, we are going to be very busy which means you will have to be extremely conscious of when you will be able to give the needed time to your dog. I personally study best at home, so it works out well for me and my aussie. I am able to give him the attention he needs and have been able to work on his training. Not everyone can handle the time needed for a dog, so I would say it all depends on what you believe would work best for you. It is totally doable, but realize it will take away from the free time that we will already have little of. Also, get a dog so we can have doggie play dates. :)
Are you accepted to the Colorado campus? I have a German short haired pointer who would love to play. She's 16 weeks. Just a little bit wild

On a very similar note, would any current students be willing to give us an idea of what time classes start in the morning and when the last class of the day typically ends?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you accepted to the Colorado campus? I have a German short haired pointer who would love to play. She's 16 weeks. Just a little bit wild
Yup! I am accepted at the CO campus! Always looking for dog friends to get rid of some of the copious amount of energy my pup has.

It depends on the system. Most systems are lecture from 8am-12Pm and then labs from 1-5. Some system's are lab heavy (MSK,Neuro) others you will have most of the afternoon to study. Most people don't go to lecture though so you really set your own lecture schedule based on when you choose to watch it online. Some people are only on campus for labs others like me spend most of the day on campus because we like to study there. My schedule is usually on campus from 6am to 6-7 ish at night and then I take me evenings off. I rarely study past 8pm.
Thank you so much! This is very helpful! :)

the matriculation agreement says we need to do the background and drug test within 30 days of acceptance. Do they mean 30 days from when we send 1st deposit and matriculation agreement? Or 30 days since we were offered the acceptance? I do want to hold off on it a bit since there is a cost if I could.

I interviewed on February 5. The admissions people who spoke to my group said that week would be the last week of interviews. She also said some people would be accepted, pending accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. So I do think they waitlist people, but probably not many spots were left at that time. Did you interview or were you still pending interview?
pending interview

Was this for CO campus? I know I was the last interview date for SU on 2/7 but wanted to check if there is still hope for CO!
CO :(

the matriculation agreement says we need to do the background and drug test within 30 days of acceptance. Do they mean 30 days from when we send 1st deposit and matriculation agreement? Or 30 days since we were offered the acceptance? I do want to hold off on it a bit since there is a cost if I could.
When they called me to say I was accepted, the woman told me that you just have to register within 30 days.

Where can we find the immunization checklist? I can't find it on the portal.

The immunization checklist is through the PreCheck website. After you place your order, you get an email entitled "Student Check Order Confirmation." Inside, where it says "Click here for instructions for submitting your immunization records," it is actually a link to the checklist.

Just withdraw my acceptance at RVU. I got accepted at my first choice school. Good luck to you all

Hey everyone, first off I want to wish you all good luck with your applications, it is a very challenging process but in the end one way or another it will work out.

Now on to the real purpose of my post:

I am a current student at RVUCOM and I am hoping that this post might save at least one soul from matriculating at this unfortunately very flawed institution. When you first hear that this school is "for-profit" it does not seem like that big of a deal but let me tell you, it is a huge deal. Throughout my time at this school, administration has continuously shown a lack of interest in actually improving the education offered in exchange for money-grabbing habits like opening a second campus without adding additional staff. They have essentially zero affiliation with any of the hospitals in the area and instead of working to build those relationships, they spend their time on adding programs to the school like the Masters program and the PA program. Those would be great, if the school was actually doing a good job at what they originally opened to be: a Medical School. A former dean screwed up relations with University of Colorado College of Medicine so badly that in order to do any rotations at the biggest hospital in the state it requires a $4,000-5,000 fee as well as essentially zero chance to actually match at these programs for residency because there is such an animosity between the programs.

The administration continuously makes last minute changes to very major aspects of the clinical years. The most recent example: on the day of an exam for 2nd years and a day before a board exam for the 3rd years, they completely removed any flexibility for in between 4th year rotations essentially causing 4th year to be scheduled for 52 weeks of the year. Most other schools allow for significantly less rigid structure in the last year of matriculation so that students can attend interviews, plan for the life-changing move that is residency, and to take some much needed and deserved time off after 3 straight years of dedicated studying.

The students at the school are great, as evidenced by the routinely impressive if not nationally ranked board scores, but the administration is chock-full of people who only care about the bottom-line. They have shown essentially zero willingness to work with the students on a multitude of topics and continuously make changes that have only negative effects on the students.

I know this may seem like a rant, but if I was in your shoes and I had understood the culture this school breeds, I certainly would have picked a different institution. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

TL;DR

If you can, go to a different school. RVUCOM is flawed from the top down

Hey everyone, first off I want to wish you all good luck with your applications, it is a very challenging process but in the end one way or another it will work out.

I am a current student at RVUCOM and I am hoping that this post might save at least one soul from matriculating at this unfortunately very flawed institution. When you first hear that this school is "for-profit" it does not seem like that big of a deal but let me tell you, it is a huge deal. Throughout my time at this school, administration has continuously shown a lack of interest in actually improving the education offered in exchange for money-grabbing habits like opening a second campus without adding additional staff. They have essentially zero affiliation with any of the hospitals in the area and instead of working to build those relationships, they spend their time on adding programs to the school like the Masters program and the PA program. Those would be great, if the school was actually doing a good job at what they originally opened to be: a Medical School. A former dean screwed up relations with University of Colorado College of Medicine so badly that in order to do any rotations at the biggest hospital in the state it requires a $4,000-5,000 fee as well as essentially zero chance to actually match at these programs for residency because there is such an animosity between the programs.

The administration continuously makes last minute changes to very major aspects of the clinical years. The most recent example: on the day of an exam for 2nd years and a day before a board exam for the 3rd years, they completely removed any flexibility for in between 4th year rotations essentially causing 4th year to be scheduled for 52 weeks of the year. Most other schools allow for significantly less rigid structure in the last year of matriculation so that students can attend interviews, plan for the life-changing move that is residency, and to take some much needed and deserved time off after 3 straight years of dedicated studying.

The students at the school are great, as evidenced by the routinely impressive if not nationally ranked board scores, but the administration is chock-full of people who only care about the bottom-line. They have shown essentially zero willingness to work with the students on a multitude of topics and continuously make changes that have only negative effects on the students.

I know this may seem like a rant, but if I was in your shoes and I had understood the culture this school breeds, I certainly would have picked a different institution. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

TL;DR

Do you have an updated schedule of the fourth year that you could share?

SMH they stopped charging RVU students to rotate there last year.

Oh did they? That's awesome. Also did the Colorado campus just get that email about second-year mentors? Feels so good to be getting some sort of communication from them as classes get closer!

Reactions: 2 users
Oh did they? That's awesome. Also did the Colorado campus just get that email about second-year mentors? Feels so good to be getting some sort of communication from them as classes get closer!
Yeah says on old SDN thread and at my interview too.!

I didn’t get anything yet! That sounds awesome though.

We do get mentors at the Colorado campus. I asked at my interview, but I believe it's several to a mentor. I did not get an email though yet.

We do get mentors at the Colorado campus. I asked at my interview, but I believe it's several to a mentor. I did not get an email though yet.
I just got an email from the southern Utah school about the mentorship. So apparently it’s at both schools...and yes finally some communication! Exciting!

Reactions: 5 users
So my PCP said I didn't convert with the Hep B even though I received my booster. She also said I can keep getting boosters and not convert. Does anyone know what the process is then? They couldn't even get the quantative labs.

Any idea when they release the orientation date/start of classes date?

Any idea when they release the orientation date/start of classes date?
Orientation for the southern Utah campus is the 16th of July and I imagine it's the same for Colorado because classes are synced up and everything. And maybe a current student could comment, do the regular classes just start the Monday after the orientation Monday?

Reactions: 1 users
I believe you have to get at least two boosters before you are considered a non-converter and then all you have to do is sign a form that goes along with being a non-converter. I ended up having to get two boosters and my titers drawn three times, luckily my third time everything was good. Contact the immunizations lady at the school they will give you all the details.

I'm also having trouble with having the labs done as quantative no matter how many times I ask fml. This time they said because I didn't convert that was the reason. However, my other labs were correct finally. Meanwhile, MDSentry wants the Hep B quantative. Just give me all the boosters forever just please don't make me ask the lab for another quantative test. I'll keep burning money.

Get used to burning money... it doesn't end once you matriculate.

definitely not:joyful::joyful:. It's just loan money then.

UPDATE: the sentryMD people are the nicest. I'e got a solution and I'm sure my PCP will agree because she may be sick of seeing me lol.

Last edited:
So question. If I did the titer, I wasn’t good on rubella, got the shot, do I need to do a full titer again? Or can the just check the rubella with my blood?

That is untrue. You may be able to do a 3rd year rotation there and get away with not paying for the rotation if you are able to skirt the system but essentially zero docs that work at CU are willing to take RVU students unless you have some personal connection with them. What I was referencing more specifically is 4th year audition rotations: they charge a fee of $4,150 to all DO students that want a month long audition rotation (same fee as IMGs). Source:VSAS. Feel free to not believe me but this is all a result of the former dean messing up relations with the biggest healthcare provider in the state.

That is untrue. You may be able to do a 3rd year rotation there and get away with not paying for the rotation if you are able to skirt the system but essentially zero docs that work at CU are willing to take RVU students unless you have some personal connection with them. What I was referencing more specifically is 4th year audition rotations: they charge a fee of $4,150 to all DO students that want a month long audition rotation (same fee as IMGs). Source:VSAS. Feel free to not believe me but this is all a result of the former dean messing up relations with the biggest healthcare provider in the state.

I'm not "not believing you". I am believing the RVU students I speak with who aren't anonymous people on SDN and the admin that I spoke to during my interview day about it. Can't really blame me for trusting that info over yours.

I'm not "not believing you". I am believing the RVU students I speak with who aren't anonymous people on SDN and the admin that I spoke to during my interview day about it. Can't really blame me for trusting that info over yours.
While I understand where you are coming from, this is actually specifically in-line with what I am talking about in my original post. They will tell you exactly what you want to hear so they can take your money when in fact the exact opposite is the truth. There is a large difference between 3rd and 4th year rotations though. 3rd year rotations could in theory absolutely be free of charge to the student, but RVU does not actually assign CU rotations as they are not affiliated in any way shape or form. So you basically have to personally know a doc at CU in order to secure a 3rd year rotation and even then that will be difficult due to the bad blood.

4th year rotations (audition rotations) are handled through VSAS (visiting student application services). These rotations are essentially month long interviews and theoretically would be a great way to bolster you application for residency. These cost $4,150 for any DO student to even apply for. MD students pay $150. It has been relayed to me that this is a change in recent years because of the former dean at RVU. Who knows about that though, could just be rumors. Either way hopefully you can trust this:

Attachments

• CU VSAS.png
    CU VSAS.png
    169.2 KB · Views: 112
While I understand where you are coming from, this is actually specifically in-line with what I am talking about in my original post. They will tell you exactly what you want to hear so they can take your money when in fact the exact opposite is the truth. There is a large difference between 3rd and 4th year rotations though. 3rd year rotations could in theory absolutely be free of charge to the student, but RVU does not actually assign CU rotations as they are not affiliated in any way shape or form. So you basically have to personally know a doc at CU in order to secure a 3rd year rotation and even then that will be difficult due to the bad blood.

4th year rotations (audition rotations) are handled through VSAS (visiting student application services). These rotations are essentially month long interviews and theoretically would be a great way to bolster you application for residency. These cost $4,150 for any DO student to even apply for. MD students pay $150. It has been relayed to me that this is a change in recent years because of the former dean at RVU. Who knows about that though, could just be rumors. Either way hopefully you can trust this:

I never claimed it was removed for all DO students- so again. No. It's not something I can trust. I said it was removed for RVUCOM students due to the local relationship. Again- I don't believe administration or current non-SDN hiding students are blatantly lying and falsifying information. I've been able to talk to several current third years via the FB page and have had nothing but good things, including info on this. If you don't like a policy change that happened, it's probably a good idea to discuss it with the school and not make an SDN account 4 days ago because something made you personally unhappy. In either case I'm done with this conversation.

Reactions: 2 users
Your reservations are understood. Best of luck with everything. Let me know how the audition rotations go with CU, things can change pretty quickly and apparently I am out of the loop. That being said, don't be surprised when the administration cares only about the bottom line and very little about your well-being.

As for your advice, there is essentially zero communication between the students and administration. Said administration routinely makes sweeping changes to curriculum/requirements/offerings without discussing the changes with the student body or student government. I made an account because I am well aware that this same administration monitors threads like this as well as our class facebook pages and school-affiliated emails but I wanted to try to warn incoming students of what to expect. I really was trying to help.

At the end of the day: Congratulations on getting accepted to medical school! That is an amazing accomplishment and no one can take that away from you.

Last edited:
Heyyyaaa everyone. My buddy is a current first year at the UT campus and he's advised everyone brush up on their anatomy! I guess they're switching the curriculum to where it's taught first... and it's supposed to be the hardest unit. Just thought I'd relay the message!

Can't wait to meet y'all in the coming months!

Reactions: 6 users
Did the recent posts from ‘soulfulcarbonate’ make anyone else nervous?

TL;DR

He’s only ever attended this medical school and of course there will be flaws....like every other medical school. They have great board scores and 90% of everything I hear about the school is positive. Sooo nah. It was ok to hear his perspective but everyone else’s perspective that I’ve talked to is positive.

I think that it's good to hear the negative and positive experiences of others so as not to be disappointed when the school you choose isn't perfect. I've heard good and bad things about other schools and I think what ‘soulfulcarbonate’ mentioned can be kept in mind when down the line you are making rotation choices and making sure you aren't blindly relying on administration to get things done. Hopefully second look day will be happening so those that can attend can get a better idea about the school and possibly talk to more current students. I have yet to experience any form of bureaucracy that runs smoothly and makes everyone happy, and I'm sure med school admins are just as flawed. Just my 2 cents.

He’s only ever attended this medical school and of course there will be flaws....like every other medical school. They have great board scores and 90% of everything I hear about the school is positive. Sooo nah. It was ok to hear his perspective but everyone else’s perspective that I’ve talked to is positive.
I think that it's good to hear the negative and positive experiences of others so as not to be disappointed when the school you choose isn't perfect. I've heard good and bad things about other schools and I think what ‘soulfulcarbonate’ mentioned can be kept in mind when down the line you are making rotation choices and making sure you aren't blindly relying on administration to get things done. Hopefully second look day will be happening so those that can attend can get a better idea about the school and possibly talk to more current students. I have yet to experience any form of bureaucracy that runs smoothly and makes everyone happy, and I'm sure med school admins are just as flawed. Just my 2 cents.
You guys summed up everything I was too lazy to type :)

I have heard similar sentiments to those expressed by soulfulcarbonate, and to elaborate it sounds like the Pueblo and Greeley 3rd/4th year rotations are awesome, and that Denver is a little more iffy. Where you are placed is up to a lottery, and they try to place you in your 1st choice. A friend of mine rotated in Denver and felt that his classmates in the other locations received better training. I have also heard that the clinical affairs department is difficult to work with IF you want to set up your own rotations, and only in locations where RVU already has agreements (draw back of being a for-profit). It's still possible, but you have to plan ahead and be willing to hustle a bit. I can't speak to the current financial relationship between CU and RVU- I hope that they make it easy to collaborate, but if they don't, maybe that's a relationship that we as students can build.

Ultimately, you have to advocate for yourself and your classmates. We're all hustlers because we've gotten this far, whether you're a senior in college with a 4.0 and a 5,000 MCAT, or you're 36 and have kids and are on your 3rd round of applications, med school is what you make it. The school will support your endeavors because if you fail out, it makes them look bad (especially bad for a for-profit). The sense I got from professors is that they really do care about their students, which is amazing. I am super stoked to be part of a community of students who are driven and committed to creating a culture of collaboration, support, and success. I know that this community will inspire me to kick ass and become the best doctor I can be, no matter what kind of adversity I encounter a long the way. I am going to succeed in med school by doing everything I can to foster this type of culture, and to own my failures and my successes. Rant over

Reactions: 5 users
I don’t know if everyone got an email or not but RVUCOM-CO is trying to plan a Second Look Day on 4/5/18. If interested, email Cyndi. They will plan this if enough people are interested.

Made me sick to my stomach to do so, but I just withdrew from my acceptance to RVU-SU.

I was super impressed with the school, faculty and staff included. I hope my spots pulls someone off of a waitlist or something!

Made me sick to my stomach to do so, but I just withdrew from my acceptance to RVU-SU.

I was super impressed with the school, faculty and staff included. I hope my spots pulls someone off of a waitlist or something!
Well we will miss you down by that beautiful red rock, but hopefully that just means that there's some really good news that you got in somewhere even better for you! you! Good luck!

I worked in academia for a number of years, and now industry for a few years. There's good and bad about everything--I think you'd be very hard-pressed to find a perfect program. I mean, think back to your undergraduate. Did your institution always have the *best* professors? Was the administration a streamlined entity that worked tirelessly to support you? I mean, come on. Those stereotypes about barely competent tenured professors and ridiculous administrative paperwork exist for a reason. But you made it, and I'm sure you don't regret getting your bachelor's degree.

I think anywhere you go to medical school, you will discover problems. It's smart to go in with your eyes open, be aware of how they might affect you, and try to mitigate them. And don't get me wrong, it's really nice to not have to swim upstream against an unsympathetic administration. I'm definitely ready to attend a place that will help cultivate my career. But I got that feeling from RVU. I don't think that they have staffed the school with a bunch of people who only care about money and are making arbitrary decisions to make life miserable for their students. Like any other company/school, I'm sure that they have their share of problems but are doing their best.

So to sum it up: I think that there will be some negative things about RVU. It doesn't surprise me. Look at page 18 of this document (http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-s...s-survey-summary-report.pdf?sfvrsn=1e712b97_8). Hell, read the entire thing--it's interesting. But there are negative things about every school. I lurk the medical school boards and it's super easy to find people complaining about their rotations. School is going to be hard, but you knew that. You're not doing it because you thought it was going to be a fun frolic through the roses. You're doing it because you want to be a doctor.

So when you feel as frustrated as soulfulcarbon in your third year, and they've changed the rules again, and you regret every decision you've ever made--put your nose down and keep making your life what you want it to be. Make sure you have hobbies that make you happy. Enjoy it because you're following your dreams, and you're surrounded by people who are following their dreams too.

Last edited: