2017-2018 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This might be a very stupid question but do we bring our Anatomy books with us to lab or is it more for us to use at home when we study (or both)? I am asking because I have 2 different Anatomy atlases and was thinking of sharing with my roommate, so we don't both have to go out and buy the same atlas (i.e., my roommate buys one atlas and I buy a different atlas and we both share/swap as needed). Thoughts?

Current 1st year, there's probably 50+ netters and other assorted atlases in lab at all time, don't bother bringing one to lab.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Uhhh you don’t haha. Sucks, but that’s how most deposits work at all medical schools. They make some extra moola on the side like this. You can’t blame them. It’s inconvenient for them that you dropped out. Sorry for the bad news.
No dropping out fortunately :)

Reactions: 1 users
Any students from the Southern Utah inaugural class feel like sharing their experience living in Ivins or St George so far for the past year? How is the life like? What do you like, dislike...

Also, can anyone recommend a pet friendly rental? I'm having a hard time finding pet friendly options.

I've liked it so far. But I grew up in Utah so I'm used to the culture. I live close enough to the school that there is no commute. I love the outdoors so hiking is great and I hear sand hollow state park is awesome if you like lakes. Tuacahn theater is an outdoor theater that puts on good shows. It's kind of pricey, but we have liked the ones we went to.

It's bloody hot in the summer, but we put up with it. It's not much of a party town. The movie theater I went to down here isn't great. There is only one place to eat that is within walking distance of the school (literally across the road). But there are some good places on Sunset which isn't too far of a drive. And they opened a Cafe Rio that's just a short drive away.

A lot of people come down here when they retire so it's a mellow place with a lot of parks and bike trails.

Can't really help you with pet friendly places. I think the on-campus is pet friendly but when I was looking for rent that was quite expensive. Some people like it though.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Also try the Facebook page if you haven't joined yet. I think some people might be able to help you on there.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be wise to get a printer to have at home? I know we get some printing through our school accounts, but is that usually enough to print out what we need?

Would it be wise to get a printer to have at home? I know we get some printing through our school accounts, but is that usually enough to print out what we need?
I'm an incoming student, and I decided to go ahead and get one. I got a 50$ printer/scanner for when I absolutely need to print something. I don't anticipate it being a necessity, but more of a convenience thing.

Reactions: 1 user
First Year here. You don't need a printer, as you are given a $200 printing budget that's built into your tuition. Also, nobody should buy any textbooks! You will rarely, if ever, use the assigned texts as everything you are to be tested on will be in the instructor powerpoints. I have not owned a single textbook since starting. There are PDF copies of text floating around between students if your super gung-ho, but its honestly a waste of money to buy paper copies.

Reactions: 2 users
First Year here. You don't need a printer, as you are given a $200 printing budget that's built into your tuition. Also, nobody should buy any textbooks! You will rarely, if ever, use the assigned texts as everything you are to be tested on will be in the instructor powerpoints. I have not owned a single textbook since starting. There are PDF copies of text floating around between students if your super gung-ho, but its honestly a waste of money to buy paper copies.
What kind of online resources did you buy? I’m looking into lecturio for basic review but was also told things such as pathoma may be useful.

Reactions: 2 users
What kind of online resources did you buy? I’m looking into lecturio for basic review but was also told things such as pathoma may be useful.

I don't know anything about lecturio... but personally I don't trust many outside resources. You get all the information you will be tested on from the professor in the way that they want you to know it. Although they might be great and have good information it might be more in depth than what you need or not enough and if it takes you away from studying the material that the professor gives you than it might hurt you for that test.

I got pathoma for this last course (so literally like 6 weeks ago) because it was an okay review for the TCM course but mostly I bought it then because my account won't expire until after boards. In my opinion pathoma hasn't been very helpful for these tests... but the guy is very good at explaining things in an easy way so I will definitely be using it for board study, which it is directed towards.

Sketchy is very worth it once you get to the microorganisms part of TCM. but I'm not sure if it would be much help in any of the other courses.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the pre-secondary screening? Is it an automated number one? or holistic screening?

Anyone still looking for a place to live in Parker?
I will be a first-year student and have a 3 bed 2 bath with a backyard that leads straight to a bike trail. The house is a 5 min drive away from campus. We (my husband and I) are considering both female and male roommates and one additional pet (as long as they get along with our dog). PM me if interested!
Thanks!