2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When did you get your acceptance call? He told me I should get something this week but I haven't yet

I got the call last Fri 10/20. Hoping it comes tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you guys figure out the contact info of your interviewers to write a thank you note? Interview coming up soon and I just wanted to be prepared!
You can always ask the interviewers themselves at the end of the interview and write it down. That's what I usually do

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you guys figure out the contact info of your interviewers to write a thank you note? Interview coming up soon and I just wanted to be prepared!

On my interview day they handed out biographies with contact information. Otherwise you can ask for a business cards or the admissions office as a last resort.

Just interviewed here last week. Absolutely amazing school. No idea how I did but it was very straight forward. No grilling or trying to trick you.

Reactions: 1 user
have people received post-interview rejections from here yet? or do they generally waitlist?

have people received post-interview rejections from here yet? or do they generally waitlist?
I think it is pretty rare to get a post-interview rejection here unless you tanked your interview. Usually WL is through snailmail and acceptances are done via phone call. I believe greater than 50% of interveiwees are accepted if you don't interview late in the cycle. They are very picky with who they interview from my experience.

Was anyone able to successfully send their LORs via Interfolio to Rowan?

Current second year here! I'm one of the student ambassadors who gives tours to interviewees. PM me with any questions about RowanSOM. Good luck!

Disclaimer: if you are a 90% MCAT scorer this school isn't for you. If you have worked for very high credentials , apply to merit based schools.

PS. I got accepted. However turning it down for the lack of respect this school has for people who actually put in the work academically (I mean the MCAT is literally a measure of how badly you want to become a physician, 8 hr exam filled with at least 3 months of full time studying)

Last edited by a moderator:
Disclaimer: if you are a 90% MCAT scorer this school isn't for you. If you have worked for very high credentials , apply to merit based schools. This school gives out hand outs to those who were lazy enough to score 500s and not retake and have a sense of security because they know being a minority race will get them in alone.

PS. I got accepted. However turning it down for the lack of respect this school has for people who actually put in the work academically (I mean the MCAT is literally a measure of how badly you want to become a physician, 8 hr exam filled with at least 3 months of full time studying)
Wow. You'll be a great doctor.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer: if you are a 90% MCAT scorer this school isn't for you. If you have worked for very high credentials , apply to merit based schools. This school gives out hand outs to those who were lazy enough to score 500s and not retake and have a sense of security because they know being a minority race will get them in alone.

I am sorry you feel that way. Everyone on this thread is so positive and encouraging and everyone I know including myself love this school for so many reasons

I am sorry you feel that way. Everyone on this thread is so positive and encouraging and everyone I know including myself love this school for so many reasons

Why are you sorry? If you are going to be operating on someone's life, you need an intellectual capacity to do so. MCAT scores correlate with USLME scores which correlate ultimately with the appropriate knowledge to operate. Rowan doesn't emphasize this like every merit based medical school.

First, I want to make it clear that this post is not a personal attack on the OP but a reproach to his shameful rhetoric. I perceive narcissism with a superiority complex and given the reference to minorities, I think we may have someone with a white supremacist/racist tendency...a trait that has no place in medicine anywhere and in life generally.
I don't think the OP really understands the principles of osteopathic medicine and given your mentality and self proclaimed academic excellence I'm honestly surprised you're going this route. I don't usually waste my time on ignorant people, however I strongly believe that certain sentiments and ideologies should be strongly condemned and silenced on sight hence, this is my first post on SDN.

'Disclaimer': If you're a self entitled narcissistic child this school isn't for you, actually medicine isn't for you. Myself and SO MANY OTHERS including the OP have worked hard for very high credentials, applied to merit based schools and hence have done very well...Kudos. However, if you think because you've achieved all of these accolades, you've transcended unto an esoteric realm and now belong to an elite group of intellectuals at this very primal state in your process, I feel bad for you and your future encounters with anyone who you may think is beneath you. Clearly, this school isn't for you and you have a lot to learn in life. This school and many other institutions give out hand picked acceptance to excellent candidates from various academic and social backgrounds including those who based on some standards may not have very high credentials but are tenacious enough to reinvent themselves, work hard against all odds and still manage to have a strong desire to serve their community through medicine. I'm sorry the OP can't stand the fact that both medical and non medial institutions are making strong commitments to diversity and acknowledging the challenges that are unique to certain minority groups of which I assume the OP probably knows nothing about.

PS. I've been accepted here and a bunch of other places. I'm gladly accepting for so many reasons including the respect this school has for people who have obviously put in the work academically but also their commitment to diversity and their holistic approach to medicine. A principle that is reflected throughout their system. I sincerely feel bad for the OP and his/her very little knowledge about the process that he's about to sadly embark on. We truly need less physicians like this. I hope you continue to grow and evolve right.

Reactions: 18 users
did you not send them from Interfolio to AACOMAS?

I did that and had no issues at all
So I was using electronic delivery and for the other schools I sent them individually to each school. I didn't see AACOMAS as an option. Did you send it via the mailing option?

So I was using electronic delivery and for the other schools I sent them individually to each school. I didn't see AACOMAS as an option. Did you send it via the mailing option?

oh no! I wish you would have posted earlier in your process. You can do it via electronic transfer. Basically, interfolio will generate an email address like <[email protected]> and you put that in your letter request form on AACOMAS. Then as soon as interfolio gets the request, it sends a digital copy to be added to your file

First, I want to make it clear that this post is not a personal attack on the OP but a reproach to his shameful rhetoric. I perceive narcissism with a superiority complex and given the reference to minorities, I think we may have someone with a white supremacist/racist tendency...a trait that has no place in medicine anywhere and in life generally.
I don't think the OP really understands the principles of osteopathic medicine and given your mentality and self proclaimed academic excellence I'm honestly surprised you're going this route. I don't usually waste my time on ignorant people, however I strongly believe that certain sentiments and ideologies should be strongly condemned and silenced on sight hence, this is my first post on SDN.

'Disclaimer': If you're a self entitled narcissistic child this school isn't for you, actually medicine isn't for you. Myself and SO MANY OTHERS including the OP have worked hard for very high credentials, applied to merit based schools and hence have done very well...Kudos. However, if you think because you've achieved all of these accolades, you've transcended unto an esoteric realm and now belong to an elite group of intellectuals at this very primal state in your process, I feel bad for you and your future encounters with anyone who you may think is beneath you. Clearly, this school isn't for you and you have a lot to learn in life. This school and many other institutions give out hand picked acceptance to excellent candidates from various academic and social backgrounds including those who based on some standards may not have very high credentials but are tenacious enough to reinvent themselves, work hard against all odds and still manage to have a strong desire to serve their community through medicine. I'm sorry the OP can't stand the fact that both medical and non medial institutions are making strong commitments to diversity and acknowledging the challenges that are unique to certain minority groups of which I assume the OP probably knows nothing about.

PS. I've been accepted here and a bunch of other places. I'm gladly accepting for so many reasons including the respect this school has for people who have obviously put in the work academically but also their commitment to diversity and their holistic approach to medicine. A principle that is reflected throughout their system. I sincerely feel bad for the OP and his/her very little knowledge about the process that he's about to sadly embark on. We truly need less physicians like this. I hope you continue to grow and evolve right.
Itiswell, you are the type of student that fits RowanSOM perfectly, I wholeheartedly agree with your post and it is no wonder you were accepted here. You are the type of person I would want to be classmates with. Rowan is built on students that are cooperative, collaborative, and hardworking, as opposed to an environment filled with competition and ostracism. Rowan students place high emphasis on serving others, and have a high level of motivation and perseverance. RowanSOM is my first choice and I pray that within the next few weeks I will be getting "the call" to have the opportunity to be in the class of '22.

Reactions: 4 users
Why are you sorry? If you are going to be operating on someone's life, you need an intellectual capacity to do so. MCAT scores correlate with USLME scores which correlate ultimately with the appropriate knowledge to operate. Rowan doesn't emphasize this like every merit based medical school.
Just because you don't score extremely high on your MCAT doesn't mean that you are incapable of being a physician. Scoring at 50%ile and above has correlated with successful passing of boards and completion of medical school. Being a physician is much more than IQ and boards, that is part of it but it is much much more.

If you spent the same time studying for your MCAT as you did writing this, you'd probably have a decent score for becoming a physician. I take great pride in the fact that I got into 14 schools MD and DO this cycle. My credentials speak lengths on how people who score poorly like you should not be allowed in this field. People like you who becomes a physician without the merit earned credentials is what's wrong with medicine these days. Good luck in your ventures. You're going to surely need them for the boards because there is no bull**** affirmative action when it comes to human beings' lives.

If you feel that scores aren't much, become a social worker. Don't become something that requires a great intellect and profound understanding of human lives in terms of their health. Surely, I would not trust my mother's life in the care of a physician who did not earn his place through academics most importantly.

If you spent the same time studying for your MCAT as you did writing this, you'd probably have a decent score for becoming a physician. I take great pride in the fact that I got into 14 schools MD and DO this cycle. My credentials speak lengths on how people who score poorly like you should not be allowed in this field. People like you who becomes a physician without the merit earned credentials is what's wrong with medicine these days. Good luck in your ventures. You're going to surely need them for the boards because there is no bull**** affirmative action when it comes to human beings' lives.

If you feel that scores aren't much, become a social worker. Don't become something that requires a great intellect and profound understanding of human lives in terms of their health. Surely, I would not trust my mother's life in the care of a physician who did not earn his place through academics most importantly.

Looks like someone is having a full-blown meltdown
giphy.gif

Reactions: 13 users
@Deecee2DO, thank you very much, I hope you receive favorable news. However, with your prudent mentality, you'll be fine regardless.

@ the other youth,
...I sure hope you're not implying that being a social worker does not 'requires great intellect and profound understanding of human lives in terms of their health'.
...Although you've sadly decided to include your mother who I know nothing about on this thread, I choose to refrain from commenting on that. However, given your very limited perspective on a lot of issues, I do know for certain that someone definitely dropped the ball with you.
...I congratulate you for getting 'into 14 schools MD and DO this cycle'. Given your blatant immaturity and overall warped mental state, I also acknowledge the fact that it's a nightmare that you're going to be a physician. I do however hope that time and age will help you grow into your achieved status.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
AACOMAS was not a delivery option on Interfolio until the beginning of the cycle this year, I believe. That is probably why you didn't see it as an option.

Minority status helps less-qualified applicants no question but where is this coming from???

@PreparationIsKey why did you even bother applying to DO schools with such high achievements I mean im sure they're grateful for your donation via secondary fees but i'm still not getting it

Reactions: 2 users
Both of my interviewers offered me their emails in case I had any questions. I sen a thank you note to them.

Haha while I was reading this I was thinking to myself I really hope this person is going to Rowan next year because I want to be his classmate! I completely agree with everything you said and honestly even the doctors I work with right now would too. Scoring in the 90th percentile on the MCAT is not a big deal. I did that but I'd rather have a doctor that knows what he's doing and actually cares for patients rather than being just book smart. Last time I check nobody asks their doctor what they got on the MCAT or USMLE.

Reactions: 6 users
Haha while I was reading this I was thinking to myself I really hope this person is going to Rowan next year because I want to be his classmate! I completely agree with everything you said and honestly even the doctors I work with right now would too. Scoring in the 90th percentile on the MCAT is not a big deal. I did that but I'd rather have a doctor that knows what he's doing and actually cares for patients rather than being just book smart. Last time I check nobody asks their doctor what they got on the MCAT or USMLE.
I agree completely. Just because you score highly on the MCAT does not mean you will be a good doctor.

Looking Beyond MCATs to Pick Future Doctors
This is a great read-It is about looking beyond stats when evaluating future physicians. Now, do I believe that everything should be tested (even personality) not necessarily, but personality testing could bring an interesting dynamic to the process. The important part is that a high MCAT is such a minute aspect of what makes a good doctor and personality and the ability to relate to others is paramount. My favorite part is when Pauline Chen, MD writes: "One perennial question that personality testing could help to answer is whether hard work can make up for differences in cognitive ability. “Some of our data says yes, if someone is at the 15th percentile of the cognitive test but at the 95th percentile of conscientiousness, chances are that the student is going to make it. That student may even eventually outperform peers who have higher cognitive test scores but who are less conscientious or more neurotic and stress-prone."

Reactions: 1 users
I was complete 8/28, interviewed 10/5, and was accepted 10/20. Can't wait to meet everyone in August!

Accepted Harlem yesterday at 4pm eastern time. Interviewed 10/23 Monday. 90% MCAT, nearly perfect GPA. I stressed the mission of the school and how that correlates with my passion to Osteopathy. But that's insignificant. Touro is a numbers based / merit based school that has no regard if your black , Hispanic, white , or blue. You earn the grades and do the work and you get in. There's no hand outs here. That's the most honest summation of Touro and why I picked it as well as my top choice
No, I honestly don't think you were accepted to Rowan. If you were, you wouldn't be raging so hard. You said that "I take great pride in the fact that I got into 14 schools MD and DO this cycle," but by looking at your post history, you said in Touro's thread that you were accepted to Touro, and that it is your "top choice" (post #344). Touro is one of those schools that you go to when you weren't accepted anywhere else, and even the most clueless premeds know that. Touro has a long history of losing accreditation, being on probation multiple times, hiring employees with questionable credentials, terrible rotation sites, abysmal step 2 pass rates, poor clinical skills training, poor administrative management, and the list goes on and on. The fact that you are unaware of these issues makes you either 1) extremely uninformed and naive or 2) you're just mentally incapable of processing information. So which one are you? People go to Touro when it's their only option, and even then, some people choose to wait and apply again the next cycle because there's just too much uncertainty in investing $300,000 for the kind of education that you will receive at Touro.

The fact that you got "90% MCAT, nearly perfect GPA" and got into "14 schools MD and DO this cycle" but still "chose" Touro as your "top choice" makes no sense in the first place. And second of all, Touro and Rowan (formerly UMDNJ) are not in the same league. No person in their right mind will choose Touro over Rowan especially with the resources that Rowan has and also the fact that Rowan is one of the three most reputable osteopathic medical schools in the country along with MSUCOM and TCOM. You also sound very bitter about affirmative action, and somehow think that Touro is "merit based" while Rowan isn't. But even if you look at the numbers only, the average entering class stats at Rowan are very similar to those of Touro as of 2016 (and Touro also follows affirmative action just like other U.S. medical schools), so that shows how misinformed you are. I am also ORM with high MCAT and high GPA, but I'm not btching and moaning about the whole thing.

Honestly it sounds like you got rejected from Rowan with your alleged "90% MCAT, nearly perfect GPA" maybe because your ECs were garbage along with that atrocious personality of yours. You came crawling over here to express your frustrations and hurt feelings toward Rowan, but that's besides the point. You mentioned about what a doctor should be in order to operate on someone's life. In order to care for a human life, you must be human yourself first, not a monster. That is the most basic prerequisite which you seem to lack. With your attitude, you wouldn't even make it to the footsteps of becoming a successful physician. It's only a matter of time until you get weeded out through medical school and residency. Now would be a good time to work on your personality for your own sake.

Reactions: 11 users
Anyone know if the committee does acceptance calls the same day they meet to make decisions? I think they are meeting today
Some of the interviewers do, but not all of them. They will call over the next few days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Anyone have the link for the accepted students facebook page? Any idea what I'm supposed to do about acceptance packet do I get that in the mail?

Anyone have the link for the accepted students facebook page? Any idea what I'm supposed to do about acceptance packet do I get that in the mail?
You will receive an email in 5-6 days.

Accepted! Interviewed 10/25 and got the call today from Dr. Herring :)

Reactions: 1 users
I go away for two weeks and come back to someone attempting to discredit our work as students and the reputation of a school? What is going on?!

Reactions: 3 users
I was going to write a super lengthy post, but it’s really not worth it. At the end of the day, we all get the same credentials and we are all awarded the same opportunities regardless of what medical school we CHOOSE to attend.

At the end of the day, we all get the same credentials and we are all awarded the same opportunities regardless of what medical school we CHOOSE to attend.
Definitely not if you attend schools like Touro.

CAN’T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?! :arghh: