2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CAN’T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?! :arghh:
giphy.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Are interviews 1 on 1 or are there two individuals who interview you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are interviews 1 on 1 or are there two individuals who interview you?

There's a few possibilities:

1. One Interviewer (Could be a staff member of the university, or could be a staff member from the clinical sites the students serve)
2. Two Interviewers (Could be a mix of those listed above, or one of the two above with a current student)

You can't really end up with a bad interviewer in my opinion, everyone is so genuine and nice. I think that most people here who have already interviewed would say the same. It's pretty straightforward with no trickery to be expected. It would be like speaking to one of us on here.

Reactions: 3 users
There's a few possibilities:

1. One Interviewer (Could be a staff member of the university, or could be a staff member from the clinical sites the students serve)
2. Two Interviewers (Could be a mix of those listed above, or one of the two above with a current student)

You can't really end up with a bad interviewer in my opinion, everyone is so genuine and nice. I think that most people here who have already interviewed would say the same. It's pretty straightforward with no trickery to be expected. It would be like speaking to one of us on here.
on my interview date, it varied. one room had 2 interviewers, the other had 1.

thank you guys for the helpful information!

This was probably asked before, but how long did it take to get the acceptance packet after the call? I'd like to start to get my affairs in order.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys.. am I the only one waiting to hear from Rowan and was completed in late July? :/

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received a II lately? I was complete 9/26 and haven't heard anything after my completion confirmation.
Still to early or should I be worried?

507 MCAT/3.84 cGPA

This was probably asked before, but how long did it take to get the acceptance packet after the call? I'd like to start to get my affairs in order.

There’s not much to get into order, there’s no financial stuff in it aside from instructions to submit your deposit. I submitted that in September and haven’t gotten anything else since. It took about two weeks for that to come in the mail after getting the phone call though.

Has anyone received a II lately? I was complete 9/26 and haven't heard anything after my completion confirmation.

507 MCAT/3.84 cGPA
haha dude stats wise you're more than fine! We still have a considerable amount of time until the end of the cycle. Just a waiting game unfortunately. Some schools that I thought I would never stand a chance at I got an II immediately, and others where I thought I was a shoe-in (VCOM, WVSOM), I still haven't heard a thing. It is such a random process

Members don't see this ad :)
There’s not much to get into order, there’s no financial stuff in it aside from instructions to submit your deposit. I submitted that in September and haven’t gotten anything else since. It took about two weeks for that to come in the mail after getting the phone call though.
Haha I'm just ready to secure my spot and not have to worry about the deposit.

haha dude stats wise you're more than fine! We still have a considerable amount of time until the end of the cycle. Just a waiting game unfortunately. Some schools that I thought I would never stand a chance at I got an II immediately, and others where I thought I was a shoe-in (VCOM, WVSOM), I still haven't heard a thing. It is such a random process

Thanks for the affirmation my dude! And honestly that's so true. 3 days after submitting my secondary to AZCOM I got a II. I was so confused but happy lol.

I got the call on a Saturday and the email on that Thursday, so about 5 days. It didn't feel real until I saw the acceptance letter in the email and received it in the mail though lol

Just because the interviewers are easygoing and friendly doesn't mean that you should let your guard down...This may be common sense, but seeing how everyone here is saying that people have nothing to worry about, I just want to reiterate that this is still a medical school interview. "Just don't be a weirdo and you'll get in" doesn't work. At the end of the day they still reject half of all interviewees, so you want to make sure you're prepared and know what you're talking about. When I interviewed, there were quite a few people who got stumped by some of the questions. You should relax but don't relax too much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, those of you that have gotten interviews...did you fill out close to the 750 words for the secondaries. I feel like I'd be writing just to fill empty space.

Wanting to submit asap. Just unsure and don't want to look bad with what might be considered a lack of effort if I don't write close to the 750 limits.

I'm ~250-300 for them. Please offer guidance, thanks!

Hey guys, those of you that have gotten interviews...did you fill out close to the 750 words for the secondaries. I feel like I'd be writing just to fill empty space.

Wanting to submit asap. Just unsure and don't want to look bad with what might be considered a lack of effort if I don't write close to the 750 limits.

I wrote 300 words for each, and was accepted. You want to be concise and articulate. Have some mercy for the adcom who have to read thousands of secondaries.

I got the call on a Saturday and the email on that Thursday, so about 5 days. It didn't feel real until I saw the acceptance letter in the email and received it in the mail though lol
That's exactly how I feel haha. I still think I'm dreaming.

Great, thank you!

Im a Texas resident looking to apply here. My stats aren't the best either but I already received an interview invite from another school. Should I apply here or will being from Texas with probably below average stats compared to the ones post on here, hurt me and just be a waste of money?

Hey man. I am from Texas as well and received an II! sGPA= 3.73 and nsGPA= 3.8; MCAT= 501

Just because the interviewers are easygoing and friendly doesn't mean that you should let your guard down...This may be common sense, but seeing how everyone here is saying that people have nothing to worry about, I just want to reiterate that this is still a medical school interview. "Just don't be a weirdo and you'll get in" doesn't work. At the end of the day they still reject half of all interviewees, so you want to make sure you're prepared and know what you're talking about. When I interviewed, there were quite a few people who got stumped by some of the questions. You should relax but don't relax too much!

Stumped how? I do agree that "the most relaxing interview ever" is a bit misleading.

I mean my interview was pretty straight-forward. No tricks. No grilling. Standard questions that I think I prepared for pretty well. But in the end I'm kind of nervous because I didn't walk outta there thinking "oh man my interviewer was the coolest ever, we just chilled. They love me." Granted some people walked outta there saying just that. Not sure what to make of it.

Last edited:
Stumped how? I do agree that "the most relaxing interview ever" is a bit misleading.

I mean my interview was pretty straight-forward. No tricks. No grilling. Standard questions that I think I prepared for pretty well. But in the end I'm kind of nervous because I didn't want outta there thinking "oh man my interviewer was the coolest ever, we just chilled. They love me." Granted some people walked outta there saying just that. Not sure what to make of it.
Out of nowhere questions, fact checking, testing you to see if you really know the school, etc. For me, I was also asked a couple of those weird (but interesting) questions, but fortunately I navigated myself out of them pretty well. In the end, I also walked out of there thinking that my interviewer was the coolest ever. I don't think you should worry if you felt good.

507 MCAT/3.84 cGPA

Last edited:
do the waitlist emails usually come in around the same time as acceptance calls, or later?

Out of nowhere questions, fact checking, testing you to see if you really know the school, etc. For me, I was also asked a couple of those weird (but interesting) questions, but fortunately I navigated myself out of them pretty well. In the end, I also walked out of there thinking that my interviewer was the coolest ever. I don't think you should worry if you felt good.
I actually had one of those "my interviewer was really cool and they love me" experiences but I'm probably in the minority haha. I remember he asked a few questions in the beginning reviewing my stats and LORs. Then I started talking about working in underserved areas and he happened to be really into that so we spent the entire time talking about that. He even showed me pictures of his mission trip on his computer. Throughout the interview he kept saying "I really want you here" lol he must have said it at least 3-4 times so I was pretty confident that I would be accepted. I wouldn't say that's the norm though lol most of the other interviewers had real questions to answer

I actually had one of those "my interviewer was really cool and they love me" experiences but I'm probably in the minority haha. I remember he asked a few questions in the beginning reviewing my stats and LORs. Then I started talking about working in underserved areas and he happened to be really into that so we spent the entire time talking about that. He even showed me pictures of his mission trip on his computer. Throughout the interview he kept saying "I really want you here" lol he must have said it at least 3-4 times so I was pretty confident that I would be accepted. I wouldn't say that's the norm though lol most of the other interviewers had real questions to answer
My interview went similarly. Had one of those "my interviewer was really cool and they love me" but mostly because I had Dr. Herring who was literally one of the nicest human beings I have ever met and probably has one of the best bedside manners as a physician that I've seen. If anyone has Dr. Herring as their interviewer you lucked out!

Reactions: 2 users

I totally agree. I get the impression most of the staff is very welcoming, supportive, and pretty chill, but there were some... not necessarily tricky, but very thought-provoking questions. I had a PhD interviewer so I think we connected really well when we were talking about her research and my current research, and we were both very relaxed, but it was a very serious conversation. Relax, but be prepared.

Overall, also, this interview had a very different feeling from my other interviews. It was slightly challenging, but I walked out of there feeling great. All of my other so-so interviews ended up putting me under "further review," but this one accepted me. I don't know if anyone else had this weird feeling too, maybe it was just me, but I hope all of us get to feel that really cool feeling with one school or another.

Last edited:
Early September. I guess Rowan doesnt love me
514 and a 3.7? haha dude you'll get in somewhere I wouldn't worry whether it will be RowanSOM or not you will eventually be a medical student this cycle. Prayers go a long way. Many people with insanely high numbers come to RowanSOM because of the people. Not only is it a great program, but it is the community that sets it apart from any other medical school

Reactions: 1 users
514 and a 3.7? haha dude you'll get in somewhere I wouldn't worry whether it will be RowanSOM or not you will eventually be a medical student this cycle. Prayers go a long way. Many people with insanely high numbers come to RowanSOM because of the people. Not only is it a great program, but it is the community that sets it apart from any other medical school
Yeah I have an II from an ivy yay but I still really like Rowan

Finally got my acceptance email and the OOS tuition is finally starting to settle in. I LOVE Rowan but have 2 other interviews at Texas (my hometown) schools with yearly tuition rates almost 45K cheaper. I'm torn b/c I do not want to settle, but I also don't want to be 300K+ in debt /:

Finally got my acceptance email and the OOS tuition is finally starting to settle in. I LOVE Rowan but have 2 other interviews at Texas (my hometown) schools with yearly tuition rates almost 45K cheaper. I'm torn b/c I do not want to settle, but I also don't want to be 300K+ in debt /:

You’re going to be in debt one way or another, that’s the way I looked at it. Haha

Although, I don't think anyone would blame you for trying to save yourself some money. At the end of the day, we all earn the same degree and you should do what makes the most sense for yourself. If you want to spend the extra money and come study with the rest of us, we'd love to have you. On the other hand, I don't think your family or anyone would hold it against you for choosing the cheapest school in terms of tuition. Medical school accreditation isn't just handed out to schools, so in reality you can't go wrong with wherever you decide to study.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey Guys! Wanted to let you know that I interviewed here on October 26 and I got a call on November 4th! Only 9 days later!! And I got accepted! My interviewer personally called me! It was at 10 AM on a Saturday morning!

In state
MCAT: 509
GPA: 3.98
sGPA: 3.93

GOOD luck to everyone else applying! Sending good vibes ur way!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hey Guys! Wanted to let you know that I interviewed here on October 26 and I got a call on November 4th! Only 9 days later!! And I got accepted! My interviewer personally called me! It was at 10 AM on a Saturday morning!

In state
MCAT: 509
GPA: 3.98

GOOD luck to everyone else applying! Sending good vibes ur way!
I interviewed on the 26th too and didn’t get a call. Does that mean I was waitlisted or rejected?

MCAT: 504
Gpa: 4.0
In state

I interviewed on the 26th too and didn’t get a call. Does that mean I was waitlisted or rejected?

MCAT: 504
Gpa: 4.0
In state

No. You can always call and ask about your interview and when you can expect to hear something.

Hey Lolla17!
Don't be discouraged. I asked my interviewer why my decision came out that quick and he told me it depends on the interviewer and how quickly he/she is willing to write up and present your app to the committee. Also he told me that the next time the committee is meeting is NEXT Thursday (they meet twice a month). So they won't send out emails until after that meeting. So remain positive. I'm telling you this was so unexpected and the turnaround time was so quick.. so I guess my case is rare and weird in a way. You should be hearing back soon! Sending good vibes your way ❤

No. You can always call and ask about your interview and when you can expect to hear something.
I called yesterday actually and she said they did the primary review and I would hear back in 2-3 weeks. My last name starts with an A, so I was the first to be interviewed so I thougnt they deff got to my name during the meeting if they go by alphabetical order. Im really worried. I want Rowan so much. I didn’t know they made calls for the 26th people already

Hey Lolla17!
Don't be discouraged. I asked my interviewer why my decision came out that quick and he told me it depends on the interviewer and how quickly he/she is willing to write up and present your app to the committee. Also he told me that the next time the committee is meeting is NEXT Thursday (they meet twice a month). So they won't send out emails until after that meeting. So remain positive. I'm telling you this was so unexpected and the turnaround time was so quick.. so I guess my case is rare and weird in a way. You should be hearing back soon! Sending good vibes your way ❤
Oh okay!! Didn’t know it also depended on the intrviewer. Do you mind me asking who was yours?
Thank you sooo much for the kind words and positive vibes!! I appreciate it a lot. And of course CONGRATULATIONS on the acceptance!! I was so desperate I forgot to congratulate you haha.

Oh okay!! Didn’t know it also depended on the intrviewer. Do you mind me asking who was yours?
Thank you sooo much for the kind words and positive vibes!! I appreciate it a lot. And of course CONGRATULATIONS on the acceptance!! I was so desperate I forgot to congratulate you haha.
Awhh thank you so much!! My interviewer was dr. Griesback! I hope to congratulate you soon too :). Did we meet during our interview session? Mine was in the AM session