2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awhh thank you so much!! My interviewer was dr. Griesback! I hope to congratulate you soon too :). Did we meet during our interview session? Mine was in the AM session
I had a different interviewer. I had 2, in fact. Yes, mine wan in the AM as well. Im not sure if we met..

Members don't see this ad.

I had a different interviewer. I had 2, in fact. Yes, mine wan in the AM as well. Im not sure if we met..
I sat near the door! I'm not sure if you sat on the other side lol.

Hey Guys! Wanted to let you know that I interviewed here on October 26 and I got a call on November 4th! Only 9 days later!! And I got accepted! My interviewer personally called me! It was at 10 AM on a Saturday morning!

In state
MCAT: 509
GPA: 3.98

GOOD luck to everyone else applying! Sending good vibes ur way!
Congrats! Impressive stats btw. Will you be our classmate? Or still interviewing elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on the 26th too and didn’t get a call. Does that mean I was waitlisted or rejected?

MCAT: 504
Gpa: 4.0
In state

I interviewed on the 17th, but I called a few days ago and they said my application was still under review. I think it depends on the interviewer, not necessarily the date you interviewed or your last name. I'm glad someone is in the same boat as me! Good luck to you!

MCAT: 507
GPA: 3.8
In State

I interviewed on the 17th, but I called a few days ago and they said my application was still under review. I think it depends on the interviewer, not necessarily the date you interviewed or your last name. I'm glad someone is in the same boat as me! Good luck to you!

MCAT: 507
GPA: 3.8
In State
Yea I had no idea it was based on interviewer so I feel a bit better now. Im sure you will be fine though, your stats are really good! Thank you! Good luck to you as well!

I sat near the door! I'm not sure if you sat on the other side lol.
I sat right by the door lol I probably would remember you if I saw you in person then!

Yea I had no idea it was based on interviewer so I feel a bit better now. Im sure you will be fine though, your stats are really good! Thank you! Good luck to you as well!

If you don't mind me asking, who was your interviewer?

Is the pre-matric program required?Im so confused my acceptance packet lists that its required but then the info packet for pre-matric says that its not.

Is the pre-matric program required?Im so confused my acceptance packet lists that its required but then the info packet for pre-matric says that its not.

I got an email with the acceptance packet with the pre-matric program that was required. But then, two minutes later I got an email and updated packet that said I wasn't required to participate, so I think it depends on your situation. A quick call/email would clear things up. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

It's not required.

Also, what did this packet consist of? Mine didn't have anything in it but the steps to submit my deposit for my seat.

It's not required.

Also, what did this packet consist of? Mine didn't have anything in it but the steps to submit my deposit for my seat.
The packet had stuff regarding immunizations, any outstanding coursework, pre-matric program, background check etc.
Hey Guys! Wanted to let you know that I interviewed here on October 26 and I got a call on November 4th! Only 9 days later!! And I got accepted! My interviewer personally called me! It was at 10 AM on a Saturday morning!

In state
MCAT: 509
GPA: 3.98

GOOD luck to everyone else applying! Sending good vibes ur way!
Congrats! Are you going to attend?

Finally got my acceptance email and the OOS tuition is finally starting to settle in. I LOVE Rowan but have 2 other interviews at Texas (my hometown) schools with yearly tuition rates almost 45K cheaper. I'm torn b/c I do not want to settle, but I also don't want to be 300K+ in debt /:
You have TCOM in Texas. Go there instead. I chose Rowan even though I'm OOS because it was the best school in the Northeast. In the long run, the opportunities and resources that Rowan provides outweighs the extra mucho dinero that I would shell out. Not all schools are created equal, and the saying that you can't go wrong with any medical school is certainly untrue especially if you have a choice. If you got into a so-so school, I will tell you to come to Rowan. But TCOM is also a good school, and it's cheaper for you. You have no reason to ditch your family to study in New Jersey unless you really prefer Rowan over TCOM.

Reactions: 4 users
You have TCOM in Texas. Go there instead. I chose Rowan even though I'm OOS because it was the best school in the Northeast. In the long run, the opportunities and resources that Rowan provides outweighs the extra mucho dinero that I would shell out. Not all schools are created equal, and the saying that you can't go wrong with any medical school is certainly untrue especially if you have a choice. If you got into a so-so school, I will tell you to come to Rowan. But TCOM is also a good school, and it's cheaper for you. You have no reason to ditch your family to study in New Jersey unless you really prefer Rowan over TCOM.
I agree with this 100%, TCOM is a top DO school. IMO the top DO schools are TCOM, NYIT-COM, MSUCOM, DMUCOM, PCOM-PA, and RowanSOM.

Reactions: 1 users

You CANNOT go wrong with any US medical school :hello:

Some offer more than others in terms of clinical opportunities, but it’s the same education when you boil it down. You’re expected to know just as much info and pass all the same tests. That’s just my opinion, but appreciate you trying to play devils advocate.

Reactions: 1 user
You CANNOT go wrong with any US medical school :hello:

Some offer more than others in terms of clinical opportunities, but it’s the same education when you boil it down. You’re expected to know just as much info and pass all the same tests. That’s just my opinion, but appreciate you trying to play devils advocate.
Nope, not true. To give you an idea, there are some schools that have no inpatient IM training, for example. How can you be a doctor with no inpatient training? You seem to think that if you pass the board after your 2nd year, you automatically become a doctor. Clinical training in your 3rd and 4th year is the backbone of medical education, so considering that, it's definitely not "the same education" that you receive quality wise. Some schools' rotations sites are complete joke, and it's nothing more than expensive shadowing. Also, it comes down to having open residency options. Many DO schools lack residency programs in competitive fields like surgery, ortho, EM, and so on. This means limited opportunities and increased difficulty in obtaining certain residency spots especially as an osteopathic medical student.

Instead of ambiguously making broad statements like "you can't go wrong with any medical school," you really should try to paint the entire picture. Yeah, you'll probably still become a doctor if you go to a US medical school, but the point is to become a good doctor for your community's sake. Not all schools are capable of guiding their students toward that path.

Nope, not true. To give you an idea, there are some schools that have no inpatient IM training, for example. How can you be a doctor with no inpatient training? You seem to think that if you pass the board after your 2nd year, you automatically become a doctor. Clinical training in your 3rd and 4th year is the backbone of medical education, so considering that, it's definitely not "the same education" that you receive quality wise. Some schools' rotations sites are complete joke, and it's nothing more than expensive shadowing. Also, it comes down to having open residency options. Many DO schools lack residency programs in competitive fields like surgery, ortho, EM, and so on. This means limited opportunities and increased difficulty in obtaining certain residency spots especially as an osteopathic medical student.

Instead of ambiguously making broad statements like "you can't go wrong with any medical school," you really should try to paint the entire picture. Yeah, you'll probably still become a doctor if you go to a US medical school, but the point is to become a good doctor for your community's sake. Not all schools are capable of guiding their students toward that path.
I don't think there is a right or wrong or true or false. i believe what tatted med is trying to say is that becoming a good doctor is completely on you how much you study for the boards how much you want to know and how dedicated you are. what he is trying to say is that we all end up taking the same board exams so where we end up depends on how much effort we put into it and how much we study. sure some programs make that easier but where your trajectory lies depends solely on you

Reactions: 2 users

If you’d take a second and read what was written instead of trying to flex your internet chest at me, you’d see you’re saying the same thing as me, but you’re going a little more in depth. I understand that Rowan has a lot more to offer clinically than other schools, that’s why I chose to go here, much like yourself. To say that I’m making ambiguous statements is a little aggressive considering you validate the point by saying, “...you’ll probably become a doctor if you go to a US medical school...” You’re arguing for the sake of arguing at this point. It comes down to personal preference and attending where YOU WANT TO ATTEND. The school isn’t going to make or break your career, just like where you studied as an undergrad isn’t going to make or break your chances at getting accepted into medical school. It’s also very naive of you to imply that attending a certain medical school is going to make you a great physician. I know plenty of doctors that have gone to “the best schools” and can’t hold a simple conversation at the bed side, or who have postop infection rates that are jaw dropping.

I think you just need to appreciate the questions being asked by people on here and be a little more understanding of how they think regarding the process. I’m sure that type of thinking might come in handy during your medical career.

Reactions: 4 users
If you’d take a second and read what was written instead of trying to flex your internet chest at me, you’d see you’re saying the same thing as me, but you’re going a little more in depth. I understand that Rowan has a lot more to offer clinically than other schools, that’s why I chose to go here, much like yourself. To say that I’m making ambiguous statements is a little aggressive considering you validate the point by saying, “...you’ll probably become a doctor if you go to a US medical school...” you’re arguing for the sake of arguing at this point. It comes down to personal preference and attending where YOU WANT TO ATTEND. The school isn’t going to make or break your career, just like where you studied as and undergrad isn’t going to make or break your chances at getting accepted into medical school. It’s also very naive of you to imply that attending a certain medical school is going to make you a great physician. I know plenty of doctors that have gone to “the best schools” and can’t hold a simple conversation at the bed side, or who have postop infection rates that are jaw dropping.

I think you just need to appreciate the questions being asked by people on here and be a little more understanding of how they think regarding the process. I’m sure that type of thinking might come in handy during your medical career.
No, you're misinterpreting what I wrote. I didn't say that where you go to school is the only thing that'll make you into a good doctor. Obviously your own hard work is a huge factor, and everyone knows that. The school you go to isn't going to make or break your career, you're right. But if you're paying the same money, wouldn't you want to go to a school that offers most resources and helps their students toward their goal? After all, they do provide more opportunities and the means to obtain your goal. I certainly wouldn't want to go to a school that tells me "your on your own." And you're still missing what I'm trying to get at. All medical students study the same information in their preclinical years, but that's not what sets one school apart from another. In fact, you spend the first 2 years studying to pass the board, but that's a very small part of your medical education. Stop focusing so much in the preclinical training because that's not what I'm talking about here. The type of education that you'll receive in your clinical years often matter just as much as your board score. Honestly, I'm not getting why you're getting so defensive and worked up when I'm trying to help you see why schools with more resources are more beneficial than the ones without.

No, you're misinterpreting what I wrote. I didn't say that where you go to school is the only thing that'll make you into a good doctor. Obviously your own hard work is a huge factor, and everyone knows that. The school you go to isn't going to make or break your career, you're right. But if you're paying the same money, wouldn't you want to go to a school that offers most resources and helps their students toward their goal? After all, they do provide more opportunities and the means to obtain it. I certainly wouldn't want to go to a school that tells me "your on your own." And you're still missing what I'm trying to get at. All medical students study the same information in their preclinical years, but that's not what sets one school apart from another. In fact, you spend the first 2 years studying to pass the board, but that's a very small part of your medical education. Stop focusing so much in the preclinical training because that's not what I'm talking about here. The type of education that you'll receive in your clinical years often matter just as much as your board score. Honestly, I'm not getting why you're getting so defensive and worked up when I'm trying to help you see why schools with more resources are more beneficial than the ones without.

This conversation is over. I’m getting defensive because I brought up the clinical experience being the only differentiation between any two schools well before you did and you’ve been reiterating my main point back to me since we began this exchange. I’m well aware of how important those years are in medical education, I don’t need you to continue to try and hammer it in. I also never said that you said the school was the only determining factor in producing good physicians, I said you implied it, because you did. Have a good year, I’ll see you in class.

I said you implied it, because you did. Have a good year, I’ll see you in class.
Don't try to put words in my mouth. If that's what you really thought what my point was, let me reiterate my point in plain English: where you go to school does matter, because some schools provide better opportunities, more options, and easier means to obtain your goal, whatever it may be. And yes, you can go wrong with going to certain schools because they just don't care, and have unnecessarily limited opportunities above the norm especially for the money that you pay.

P.S., getting defensive and making personal attacks is not the best way to have a meaningful discussion, just so you know. You have a good year as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't try to put words in my mouth. If that's what you really thought what my point was, let me reiterate my point in plain English: where you go to school does matter, because some schools provide better opportunities, more options, and easier means to obtain your goal, whatever it may be. Getting defensive and making personal attacks is not the best way to have a meaningful discussion, just so you know. You have a good year as well.
I agree with tattedmed and deecee2do. You attacking a fellow student is actually no means of a "meaningful discussion". We're all on here to support each other and help each other get into what school fits us the best. It may be different means of teaching the first two years but it IS up to us to pass, no one is going to hold our hands, whether it be preclinical or clinical years. I have also met doctors who have the worst bedside manner and cannot communicate with staff and they still hold their medical license, clearly inpatient training isn't a make it or break it. Some people learn differently, that is why PBL and Lecture based are options at this school. TattedMed and deecee2do thank you for posting on this topic because some people think paying for tuition is going to get us our complete medical education when being a great doctor relies much more on the bigger picture, that's why the tenets of being a DO is MIND, BODY & SPIRIT!

Last edited:

Uhhh, I never mentioned ever being accepted into TCOM so it's not an option... Thanks tho.

Don't try to put words in my mouth. If that's what you really thought what my point was, let me reiterate my point in plain English: where you go to school does matter, because some schools provide better opportunities, more options, and easier means to obtain your goal, whatever it may be. Getting defensive and making personal attacks is not the best way to have a meaningful discussion, just so you know. You have a good year as well.

Not once did I make any personal attacks against you, relax. I quoted exactly what you you said to me and only made mention of things you implied. Sorry if those things offended you or don’t fit your narrative. Again it all boils down to personal preference and we all realize the role clinical years play in medical education. Haha

I agree with tattedmed and deecee2do. You attacking a fellow student is actually no means of a "meaningful discussion". We're all on here to support each other and help each other get into what school fits us the best. It may be different means of teaching the first two years but it IS up to us to pass, no one is going to hold our hands, whether it be preclinical or clinical years. I have also met doctors who have the worst bedside manner and cannot communicate with staff and they still hold their medical license, clearly inpatient training isn't a make it or break it. Some people learn differently, that is why PBL and Lecture based are options at this school. TattedMed and deecee2do thank you for posting on this topic because some people think paying for tuition is going to get us our medical education when being a great doctor relies much more on the bigger picture, that's why the tenets of being a DO is MIND, BODY & SPIRIT!
Like I said, I never said that it isn't up to you to pass. Anyone who is intelligent enough to get accepted to medical school knows that personal effort ultimately decides their path, so that's a given. But I'm not talking about personal effort. Nobody was talking about personal effort until the other guy brought it up, and thought I was implying that personal effort didn't matter. I'm talking about school only. Leaving that effort variable out of the equation, there are factors that decide good schools from bad schools.

I agree with tattedmed and deecee2do. You attacking a fellow student is actually no means of a "meaningful discussion". We're all on here to support each other and help each other get into what school fits us the best. It may be different means of teaching the first two years but it IS up to us to pass, no one is going to hold our hands, whether it be preclinical or clinical years. I have also met doctors who have the worst bedside manner and cannot communicate with staff and they still hold their medical license, clearly inpatient training isn't a make it or break it. Some people learn differently, that is why PBL and Lecture based are options at this school. TattedMed and deecee2do thank you for posting on this topic because some people think paying for tuition is going to get us our complete medical education when being a great doctor relies much more on the bigger picture, that's why the tenets of being a DO is MIND, BODY & SPIRIT!

Uhhh, I never mentioned ever being accepted into TCOM so it's not an option... Thanks tho.

Thank you both! I hope to see you both next year! Chin come to NJ!

Come to Rowan then.

Yeah come to Rowan

I have an interview next week with UTMB, so I have to weigh my options. I want to study at a DO program, but UTMB is considerably cheaper than RowanSOM. I plan on doing OB/GYN so I know I'll really struggle with that Rowan debt since I'm not specializing or anything ya know? I hate these circumstances, but being THAT indebted to the US government via loans scares the crap out of me.

Mandragora, just let the convo die. It’s honestly nothing to argue over to begin with. I look forward to meeting you next year!

I have an interview next week with UTMB, so I have to weigh my options. I want to study at a DO program, but UTMB is considerably cheaper than RowanSOM. I plan on doing OB/GYN so I know I'll really struggle with that Rowan debt since I'm not specializing or anything ya know? I hate these circumstances, but being THAT indebted to the US government via loans scares the crap out of me.
Yeah I totally hear you in the debt department, however, OB is pretty lucrative from my understanding. I think you'll do just fine paying off your debt whatever medical school and OB program you end up getting in to. Heck I'm still paying off chiropractic school debt :smack:

Mandragora, just let the convo die. It’s honestly nothing to argue over to begin with. I look forward to meeting you next year!
Don't think of it as an argument, it was a discussion that apparently had some misunderstanding. I took my stance because I want to help and provide accurate information for future premeds applying to medical schools (and maybe also to bash certain schools that do great disservice to medical students by treating them like crap.) I've spoken to several students who ended up going to these schools - including a close friend of mine - and heard very concerning problems that you cannot ignore. They're not just lack of resources, per se, but straight up incompetence. No medical student deserves to be treated this way, and I found it absurd that someone would group such school with other schools like Rowan, PCOM, TCOM, etc within the same pool. If you're a premed reading this, I really hope that the discussion that I had with TattedMed can be used to as a valuable reference. At the end of the day, it is up to you to look carefully into each school that you're applying to, and make the best possible decisions for yourselves.

Reactions: 3 users
Disclaimer: if you are a 90% MCAT scorer this school isn't for you. If you have worked for very high credentials , apply to merit based schools.

PS. I got accepted. However turning it down for the lack of respect this school has for people who actually put in the work academically (I mean the MCAT is literally a measure of how badly you want to become a physician, 8 hr exam filled with at least 3 months of full time studying)
As a student at this school, I have to agree. Rowan is VERY into a holistic approach into your application. They WILL turn you down if at your interview you don't show humanism and/or potential to succeed at their school. They do a lot to weed out gunners to create a friendly community atmosphere, and it definitely shows. This school wasn't for you if you felt the MCAT was the only determinant for becoming a good physician. I hope you find a school that is more suited to you.

In reference to the pre matric program, it’s normally not required but some may be required for whatever reason. I called and spoke to Admissions for an unrelated event yesterday, they had said something about the pre matric program and I found out that accepted students files are reviewed and some may be REQUIRED to attend. I wasn’t told on what basis the decision is made, just that academics are reviewed and then a decision is made.

In reference to the pre matric program, it’s normally not required but some may be required for whatever reason. I called and spoke to Admissions for an unrelated event yesterday, they had said something about the pre matric program and I found out that accepted students files are reviewed and some may be REQUIRED to attend. I wasn’t told on what basis the decision is made, just that academics are reviewed and then a decision is made.
Thanks! Yeah I was required to attend. I just called. It is because of my MCAT score.

Last edited:
I just had my interview yesterday and I wanted to give some input for future interviewers. :)

I had a one-on-one interview and it ran pretty long. I think it was approximately 50 minutes in length. Some questions my interviewer asked me included "Why medicine?" "Are you happy with your GPA/MCAT?" "What specialty are you interested in?" "What would you do if you were not accepted into medical school?" We also talked about some of my research/extracurricular experiences.

I felt like I wasn't talking too much about though myself lol We talked more about Rowan and the opportunities (a lot about PBL) it offers rather than focus on my application.

The admissions staff was all super friendly and Rowan SOM seems like a great school!

Reactions: 3 users
I just had my interview yesterday and I wanted to give some input for future interviewers. :)

I had a one-on-one interview and it ran pretty long. I think it was approximately 50 minutes in length. Some questions my interviewer asked me included "Why medicine?" "Are you happy with your GPA/MCAT?" "What specialty are you interested in?" "What would you do if you were not accepted into medical school?" We also talked about some of my research/extracurricular experiences.

I felt like I wasn't talking too much about though myself lol We talked more about Rowan and the opportunities (a lot about PBL) it offers rather than focus on my application.

The admissions staff was all super friendly and Rowan SOM seems like a great school!

Mine went almost the exact same way. Its really messed with my head these past 2 weeks, as I felt I didn't really "connect" on a personal level despite having what I thought were strong answers for the basics. I guess you need to trust that the questions they asked told them what they needed to know in order to accept you.

Always interest to hear of accepted students had such an experience... not that it does any good in preparing for the next.