2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mine went almost the exact same way. Its really messed with my head these past 2 weeks, as I felt I didn't really "connect" on a personal level despite having what I thought were strong answers for the basics. I guess you need to trust that the questions they asked told them what they needed to know in order to accept you.

Always interest to hear of accepted students had such an experience... not that it does any good in preparing for the next.
Honestly me too... I didn’t get out of there feeling like I “connected”. I also prepared very well for it so I believed my answers were pretty strong but idk. I did sense some bad cop good cop, which wasn’t what I had read about the interviews there. Still, I loved Rowan so much and I hope I told them what they needed to know to accept me, but the anxiety is still going to be here until I get an answer from them. Idk how everyone does it, it has been legit the worst part of the whole process haha. I didn’t feel like this even waiting for my mcat scores lol being able to focus on classes and life has been a pain.. i’m glad im not alone in the whole interview experience though.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly me too... I didn’t get out of there feeling like I “connected”. I also prepared very well for it so I believed my answers were pretty strong but idk. I did sense some bad cop good cop, which wasn’t what I had read about the interviews there. Still, I loved Rowan so much and I hope I told them what they needed to know to accept me, but the anxiety is still going to be here until I get an answer from them. Idk how everyone does it, it has been legit the worst part of the whole process haha. I didn’t feel like this even waiting for my mcat scores lol being able to focus on classes and life has been a pain.. i’m glad im not alone in the whole interview experience though.
How long do they take to give a decision after interview or what do they tell you how long it will take

How long do they take to give a decision after interview or what do they tell you how long it will take

They say two weeks, but the later in the year you interview, the longer the decision takes. If you don’t hear anything after two weeks, don’t be afraid to call and ask about your status/interview.

They say two weeks, but the later in the year you interview, the longer the decision takes. If you don’t hear anything after two weeks, don’t be afraid to call and ask about your status/interview.
Whats considered a late interview ?

I heard the same thing. What's weird is that I received an interview invitation on October 4th and the only date available was October 26th. There was a girl on my interview day that had received her interview invitation a few days prior. Now I keep thinking that maybe the website was not correct or something. Wish I could have interviewed earlier.
Btw has anyone been put on the waitlist yet? or rejected? I also have an interview at Touro- Middletown this Monday, just attending in case I don't receive good news from Rowan..

I heard the same thing. What's weird is that I received an interview invitation on October 4th and the only date available was October 26th. There was a girl on my interview day that had received her interview invitation a few days prior. Now I keep thinking that maybe the website was not correct or something. Wish I could have interviewed earlier.
Btw has anyone been put on the waitlist yet? or rejected? I also have an interview at Touro- Middletown this Monday, just attending in case I don't receive good news from Rowan..

I'm wondering the same thing. I got an II in mid September and all the slots I saw available for me were in November. I picked the earliest date in November but that makes me wonder how interview days are assigned?

I'm wondering the same thing. I got an II in mid September and all the slots I saw available for me were in November. I picked the earliest date in November but that makes me wonder how interview days are assigned?
omg mid september and only dates for november?! that's crazy

omg mid september and only dates for november?! that's crazy
Yeah that’s what happened with me! I️ thought that was normal but I️ guess not? :/

When did you guys have your invite and then actual interview?

Whats considered a late interview ?

I guess late is open to your interpretation. Anything after the first few interviews starts to push things back. I'm not sure what goes on behind closed doors or why it causes to push things back for those waiting to hear, but I can tell you from experience that it's just the way things go. As far as dates are concerned, I know when I interviewed last year I was only able to choose one date for the interview and that it was like 2-4 weeks from the date I received the interview invite. The only advice I can really offer is to call when you get worried, you're not going to bother anyone as they are more than understanding of our situation.

I guess late is open to your interpretation. Anything after the first few interviews starts to push things back. I'm not sure what goes on behind closed doors or why it causes to push things back for those waiting to hear, but I can tell you from experience that it's just the way things go. As far as dates are concerned, I know when I interviewed last year I was only able to choose one date for the interview and that it was like 2-4 weeks from the date I received the interview invite. The only advice I can really offer is to call when you get worried, you're not going to bother anyone as they are more than understanding of our situation.
Yeah you are right, I called them again on wednesday (I had called already on that monday lol) to ask for some clarification bc I didn’t understand it well the first time I called. She was more than willing to explain that my interviewer finished the review on my interview and was ready to present it to the board the next time they meet (on the 17th) for voting. So she said Im probably going to hear any time after the 17th, even after the weekend would be normal.

Reactions: 1 users
I am interviewing this Thursday and flying into Philly from Texas. What is the easiest way to get to Rowan?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewing on Thursday get an email about the interview?

Is there a serious disadvantage to interview in early jan?

Last edited:
I am interviewing this Thursday and flying into Philly from Texas. What is the easiest way to get to Rowan?
Someone from my interview date took a train, but I don't think that an Uber would be too far either. It'll be moderately expensive, but not unbearably long.

Reactions: 1 user

It's not far at all, maybe a 15-20min drive depending on rush hour traffic. The train stop is a 2 min walk from the school if you'd rather do it that way. I'm not too keen on how to get to the train from the airport though.

The drive is easy, 95 south to 676/76. It's literally like 5-6 turns.

Echoing what others have said, you CAN get there by train. But you'd have to take the SEPTA airport line get off at Jefferson Station, then connect to PATCO at another station (probably 8th and Market) ride that to the last station, "Lindenwold". TBH - if you can just drive/uber, the train situation is probably going to take a long time, probably over an hour. I'm from the area and that's just what I know, I don't know about buses.

anyone know if rowan allows you to reschedule an interview (earlier) after you have already scheduled one?

for those who have been interviewed, are the interviewers very strict and ask very detail questions regarding everything on your applications or is it laid back and talk about general stuff?
what kind of questions do they tend to ask.

for those who have been interviewed, are the interviewers very strict and ask very detail questions regarding everything on your applications or is it laid back and talk about general stuff?

I'm staying out of this one :p;)

No, I'm kidding. I think everyone has had a different experience here, so I can only speak for myself. They ask you the standard; "why medicine osteopathic medicine," "why RowanSOM," and other questions you should expect to be faced with. Aside from that, I got a sense that the interviewers were trying to really get to know me. They obviously think you're highly qualified, now they just want to see how well you'd fit the RowanSOM mold. Take a look at their mission statement, if you haven't already, and familiarize yourself with what the school stands for and how they aim to impact both the community and medicine. To answer your question in a simpler way, I found it to be very laid back and more of an open exchange than a rigorous and intense interview. Again, I can only speak for myself but I did enjoy the experience as a whole. At the end of it all, it's still a medical school interview and first impressions always matter. Goodluck.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm staying out of this one :p;)

No, I'm kidding. I think everyone has had a different experience here, so I can only speak for myself. They ask you the standard; "why medicine osteopathic medicine," "why RowanSOM," and other questions you should expect to be faced with. Aside from that, I got a sense that the interviewers were trying to really get to know me. They obviously think you're highly qualified, now they just want to see how well you'd fit the RowanSOM mold. Take a look at their mission statement, if you haven't already, and familiarize yourself with what the school stands for and how they aim to impact both the community and medicine. To answer your question in a simpler way, I found it to be very laid back and more of an open exchange than a rigorous and intense interview. Again, I can only speak for myself but I did enjoy the experience as a whole. At the end of it all, it's still a medical school interview and first impressions always matter. Goodluck.

thank you for your input. In your experience, were you asked questions from your primary and secondary applications for example, your PS, activities and or secondary responses?

thank you for your input. In your experience, were you asked questions from your primary and secondary applications for example, your PS, activities and or secondary responses?
Both, but it was mostly about everything but academics since they speak for themselves.

TattedMed gave a great answer. He's spot on about the interview here. We both will be attending next year, and I think that what makes RowanSOM so unique is the student body. They don't want gunners at this school. They hand pick medical students that they think will be easy-going, go-out-of-their-way friendly, collaborative, and cooperative with their classmates. Obviously, any med school is going to have a certain level of competitiveness, but RowanSOM nurtures the "helping out my classmates, were in this together" mentality. They want to know that you are in medicine to serve others, so volunteering speaks volumes here. The interview is very much laid back. The questions that I got were Why Medicine, Why DO, Why RowanSOM, Weakness/Strength, What would you like me to say about you when I go before the committee for you, tell me a time when you were challenged and how you overcame it, and then just experiences off my application that they wanted to hear me talk more about (volunteering/clinical experiences etc). It was not a stressful atmosphere. I just wanted to give you an idea of what type of student RowanSOM looks for, they want the particular type of student that I described above. If you have any questions feel free to ask me or @TattedMed (he knows his stuff) or anyone else who was accepted here! Good Luck!

I felt that my interview was a mixture. Although laid back, some questions that were asked are detailed and some that are general. I would suggest to know your application well and identify weaknesses just in case you are asked. Like others have mentioned, they know you are qualified, just need to prove you are a good fit for their school. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
TattedMed gave a great answer. He's spot on about the interview here. We both will be attending next year, and I think that what makes RowanSOM so unique is the student body. They don't want gunners at this school. They hand pick medical students that they think will be easy-going, go-out-of-their-way friendly, collaborative, and cooperative with their classmates. Obviously, any med school is going to have a certain level of competitiveness, but RowanSOM nurtures the "helping out my classmates, were in this together" mentality. They want to know that you are in medicine to serve others, so volunteering speaks volumes here. The interview is very much laid back. The questions that I got were Why Medicine, Why DO, Why RowanSOM, Weakness/Strength, What would you like me to say about you when I go before the committee for you, tell me a time when you were challenged and how you overcame it, and then just experiences off my application that they wanted to hear me talk more about (volunteering/clinical experiences etc). It was not a stressful atmosphere. I just wanted to give you an idea of what type of student RowanSOM looks for, they want the particular type of student that I described above. If you have any questions feel free to ask me or @TattedMed (he knows his stuff) or anyone else who was accepted here! Good Luck!

thank you so much!. really appreciate the help

Anybody know when the deadline to accept admission is?

Anybody know if LoR's are only downloaded after secondary submission? I received the secondary email about 3 weeks ago, but just submitted my secondary recently, and the status page says they have not received my letters.

Anybody know if LoR's are only downloaded after secondary submission? I received the secondary email about 3 weeks ago, but just submitted my secondary recently, and the status page says they have not received my letters.

After submitting secondary. Can take more than a week

Wait, is it a separate one from the “file complete” email that states “Your application is current under review with out Admissions committee.” ??
I actually just realized this is the second time I’ve got the under review Email. I got one 2 days after submitting my secondary and then the one today

Complete early July and have not heard anything since. not looking good for me i assume? Should i call and ask for a status update or just wait it out? OOS

Wait, is it a separate one from the “file complete” email that states “Your application is current under review with out Admissions committee.” ??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Idk why my reply didn’t post. But i realized this is my second under review Email. Both emails state it’s under review by the admissions Committee. First email i got was about two days after submitting my secondary.

Idk why my reply didn’t post. But i realized this is my second under review Email. Both emails state it’s under review by the admissions Committee. First email i got was about two days after submitting my secondary.

Oh gotcha! Maybe they’re just updating you to say that they’re still considering you.

I’d really like some communication from the school too...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interviewed 10/26 with Dr. Venkataraman, when I called (11/06) he didn't even review my application yet... worried it was because he didn't like me! For those who interviewed with him, if you got accepted did he call you the day of? I am freaking out over here... Really want to go to SOM!

Can someone confirm Rowan's Federal School Code for FASFA?

Interviewed 10/26 with Dr. Venkataraman, when I called (11/06) he didn't even review my application yet... worried it was because he didn't like me! For those who interviewed with him, if you got accepted did he call you the day of? I am freaking out over here... Really want to go to SOM!
Welcome to the freaking out squad! I am also having major anxiety over here bc I really wanna go to Rowan too lol. But to ur question, I don’t think it means he didn’t like you. I had a different interviewer, it just might be because he didn’t get to your application yet. I also interviewed in the 10/26 btw and the committee is meeting today, so in the meantime since u called he might have finished his review of ur app and is presenting it today. U never know! Fingers crossed we get a call!!

I interviewed, and called, around the same time. Different interviewer. I forget exactly what I was told... if it was that my application hadn't been submitted to the committee, or hadn't been reviewed. And though the admissions office is super nice, she didn't sound totally happy so I'm wondering if that's a bad sign...

In the end I think @AnxietyNation had a 9/28 review and heard back 11/3 so I'm sure it depends on the committee and how busy the faculty member is. Hearing that makes me feel no better. I definitely want to imagine they loved me and had to sprint to the admissions committee! Anxiety's experience could've been a fluke after all with these week-long turnarounds.

Welcome to the freaking out squad! I am also having major anxiety over here bc I really wanna go to Rowan too lol. But to ur question, I don’t think it means he didn’t like you. I had a different interviewer, it just might be because he didn’t get to your application yet. I also interviewed in the 10/26 btw and the committee is meeting today, so in the meantime since u called he might have finished his review of ur app and is presenting it today. U never know! Fingers crossed we get a call!!

I thought they met Thursday and did calls Friday? But come to think of it everyone seems to have gotten their calls Friday night, and Saturday and Monday...

In the end I think @AnxietyNation had a 9/28 review and heard back 11/3 so I'm sure it depends on the committee and how busy the faculty member is. Hearing that makes me feel no better. I definitely want to imagine they loved me and had to sprint to the admissions committee! Anxiety's experience could've been a fluke after all with these week-long turnarounds.

I PM'ed them :)

Just gave up my spot! I hope its given to one of you deserving future docs! Good luck to everyone :)

ACCEPTED by phone tonight! Interviewed 10/26.

Is this real?!

Reactions: 9 users
ACCEPTED by phone tonight! Interviewed 10/26.

Is this real?!
Congrats!!! But omg I also interviewed 10/26 and didn’t get any call. I think im gonna die.

Congrats!!! But omg I also interviewed 10/26 and didn’t get any call. I think im gonna die.

Trust me I feel you. The weekend of 11/3 was brutal, and my whole last year was like that on 3 waitlists...

calls have come in Saturday and Monday by the look of it, or never in the case of some. It's not over till you get your decision, and while acceptances seem to be released earlier, a later one does not necessarily mean alternate list.

Trust me I feel you. The weekend of 11/3 was brutal, and my whole last year was like that on 3 waitlists...
Omg... this process is awful!! Did they say it they made all calls today? And who was your interviewer if you dont mind me asking?