2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Heard back from here Friday late afternoon. Hopefully she just hasn't gotten around to all her calls yet...Good luck!
Thanks, but I think it's a waitlist at this point. Same thing happened last year :/ oh well

Members don't see this ad.

Finally got the call from Dr. Griesback today after playing phonetag. Interviewed 11/9. Will most likely be attending!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard back from Dr. Griesback from either 11/17 or 11/18?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from Dr. Todd Schachter from the 11/16 interview? Thank you guys!

God heard my prayers, got the call today from Dr. V! 10/26 interview, about time... still don't think it's real!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats! Deposits are due December 17th I think by check or money order. Make the check payable to Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine. Spoke with Lauren in admissions about it. You will get an acceptance package by email within the next week or so and an official acceptance letter by snail mail within a week or two.

What does snail mail mean? Does that mean in the actual mail or a website? Sorry for my lack of understanding the terms :p

God heard my prayers, got the call today from Dr. V! 10/26 interview, about time... still don't think it's real!!!
Congrats Beany! Its been about a month since my call and I still think about how thankful I am and how crazy it is to be chosen as part of the class! It is such a great feeling. It honestly doesn't wear off for a while! Still in awe

Reactions: 1 user
I got the call from Dr. Herring today at around 10AM. I have absolutely no words. Thanks for all the info everyone provided on this forum. Does anyone know what's the next step in sending deposit and all that?

Do you think that deadline is also for people who were just accepted? lol It's so soon lol

Lol, the post previous to the first had me chuckling. You were so worried, but here you stand with a MEDICAL SCHOOL ACCEPTANCE! Congratulations!

Like Deecee said, you can call and ask admissions. I speak to Kirsten on a fairly regular basis, but really anyone should be able to help. I would imagine you'd get a bit more time considering how close the deadline has become. All you have to do is call and ask, they're more than willing to help in any way that they can.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED! Got the call yesterday from Dr. Herring at around 10am (didn't know they did calls on the weekends) Will most likely attend! So thankful and excited! Looking forward to accepted students day XD

Reactions: 1 users
ACCEPTED! Got the call yesterday from Dr. Herring at around 10am (didn't know they did calls on the weekends) Will most likely attend! So thankful and excited! Looking forward to accepted students day XD
Congrats ZackyD! Join the facebook group it is RowanSOM Accepted Class of 2022!

is the interview open file or closed? AACOMAS says its closed but the description that the school provides makes it seem as if its open file.

is the interview open file or closed? AACOMAS says its closed but the description that the school provides makes it seem as if its open file.
Open. Know your app! Review your ECs and what impacted you during your time involved, know your PS well that you could tell your story without looking at it. Since you lived it, it shouldn't take long.

Last edited:
Open. Know your app! Review your ECs and what impacted you during your time involved, know your PS well that you could tell your story without looking at it. Since you lived it, it shouldn't take long.

awesome, thank you!

Has anyone who was recently accepted received an acceptance email yet?

Do they let you know if they receive your deposit and background check?

And is the deposit due on the 14th for everyone? My acceptance letter was dated the 20th and said I had 30 days. I definitely wanna attend, though I'm honestly wishing I just drove the check over...

I got my acceptance call 11/17 and the email on 11/27. So there is a delay.

Do they let you know if they receive your deposit and background check?

And is the deposit due on the 14th for everyone? My acceptance letter was dated the 20th and said I had 30 days. I definitely wanna attend, though I'm honestly wishing I just drove the check over...

I got my acceptance call 11/17 and the email on 11/27. So there is a delay.
Whatever your acceptance letter says is what you should go by. I was accepted 11/3 and I have until December 14th. Since you were accepted at a later date you probably have longer. It makes sense that way anyway.

Whatever your acceptance letter says is what you should go by. I was accepted 11/3 and I have until December 14th. Since you were accepted at a later date you probably have longer. It makes sense that way anyway.

I'm being dumb. Yeah. Later acceptances probably just get the 30 days.

Did you get any kind of confirmation about your deposit though?

I emailed them to make sure they got the check I mailed. They were happy to answer!

I called admissions like a week after I sent everything to make sure they got my transcripts/check/background check.

I feel like I say this everyday almost, but I really did call anytime I had a question. The admissions staff at RowanSOM is AWESOME and I mean no disrespect when I say that they're really there to answer any questions we have as students/prospective students. Don't be afraid to call guys! They're not going to look at your file and say to themselves, "This Tattedmed calls almost everyday and asks the most ridiculous questions in the most mundane way possible. We should retract his acceptance and have him bother someone else!" In fact, they'd probably think the opposite! DO NOT be afraid to call! There is no such thing as a dumb question and they really are more than willing to answer any questions we have.

Last edited:
I received my call on December 1st and just received an email confirmation with acceptance letter and packet today, the 6th.

Contemplating on begging for II

Hey guys,

I got waitlisted in October. Was wondering what the chances are coming off the waitlist and what I should do to help my case. Any/all suggestions are appreciated
I was waitlisted last cycle and then accepted this cycle. They usually rank you on the waitlist, the fact that you were placed on the WL earlier in the cycle is never a bad thing. There are conflicting opinions on whether you should send letters of intent etc (as according to the adcoms on here like Goro and gyngyn they say not to but I have heard others say you should). I am not sure how RowanSOM feels about showing interest once waitlisted, but by the time the second cycle came around they knew how much I loved RowanSOM and knew that it was my top choice. If I were you, IMO I would call and talk with Dean Watkins and ask her why you were waitlisted and where you are on the waitlist and just express your sincere and extreme interest in RowanSOM and explain that it is in fact your top choice and why it is your top choice (if it truly is; this is what I did and it seemed to work in the long run). Make sure you don't annoy them, but I called once in a while just to keep my name on the radar. I also STRONGLY suggest that you go shadow a PBL student for the day. The school allows you to do this and it will show your interest in the school and set you apart from other applicants. They will say wow he really wants to come here and shows it not just says it. It will also express your interest in PBL (they like when kids want to go PBL, because that is the curricular style the school wants to ultimately transfer over to). Continue to send updates on coursework, volunteering and research. You can also volunteer at Rowan's teaching hospital on campus, this will look fantastic on your app and also show your interest. I strongly suggest you inbox one of my future classmates @TattedMed he is a good resource as well. Also, do not lose hope, since I know there is always a lot of movement on RowanSOMs waitlist every year. Last year, not as much as past years, but still there is quite a bit of movement!

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I got waitlisted in October. Was wondering what the chances are coming off the waitlist and what I should do to help my case. Any/all suggestions are appreciated
Hi, I was accepted several weeks ago and know several people now in their residencies. Two were waitlisted at did receive an acceptance. First Rowan does accept update letters and if there is something significant you can add for the committee to review, might be a good idea. Could be a grade change/improvement, or perhaps some research or volunteering experience. More importantly, if you check past year's threads, Rowan does tend to have a lot of movement off the waitlist for various reasons. Stay positive and best of luck!!!

I was waitlisted last cycle and then accepted this cycle. They usually rank you on the waitlist, the fact that you were placed on the WL earlier in the cycle is never a bad thing. There are conflicting opinions on whether you should send letters of intent etc (as according to the adcoms on here like Goro and gyngyn they say not to but I have heard others say you should). I am not sure how RowanSOM feels about showing interest once waitlisted, but by the time the second cycle came around they knew how much I loved RowanSOM and knew that it was my top choice. If I were you, IMO I would call and talk with Dean Watkins and ask her why you were waitlisted and where you are on the waitlist and just express your sincere and extreme interest in RowanSOM and explain that it is in fact your top choice and why it is your top choice (if it truly is; this is what I did and it seemed to work in the long run). Make sure you don't annoy them, but I called once in a while just to keep my name on the radar. I also STRONGLY suggest that you go shadow a PBL student for the day. The school allows you to do this and it will show your interest in the school and set you apart from other applicants. They will say wow he really wants to come here and shows it not just says it. It will also express your interest in PBL (they like when kids want to go PBL, because that is the curricular style the school wants to ultimately transfer over to). Continue to send updates on coursework, volunteering and research. You can also volunteer at Rowan's teaching hospital on campus, this will look fantastic on your app and also show your interest. I strongly suggest you inbox one of my future classmates @TattedMed he is a good resource as well. Also, do not lose hope, since I know there is always a lot of movement on RowanSOMs waitlist every year. Last year, not as much as past years, but still there is quite a bit of movement!
You can also shadow a traditional student =) either would be great.

hey guys! i recently received my acceptance email this week. do they usually send anything about finances after we are accepted?

hey guys! i recently received my acceptance email this week. do they usually send anything about finances after we are accepted?
Hi, in your email there should have been 2 attachments: a copy of your acceptance letter and the second, a packet with program/school information. In the packet, there is a letter to incoming students from Sandra Rollins on financial aid info will be available on their website.

Hi, in your email there should have been 2 attachments: a copy of your acceptance letter and the second, a packet with program/school information. In the packet, there is a letter to incoming students from Sandra Rollins on financial aid info will be available on their website.
I didn't realize that there were 2 attachments with the email lol my bad! i found the longer attachment with more info about Rowan. Thank you! :)

I didn't realize that there were 2 attachments with the email lol my bad! i found the longer attachment with more info about Rowan. Thank you! :)

Lol classic. I do this kind of thing all the time! I don’t think any financial info is available until February of next year, but you can look at past years stuff if your savvy with google. That’s what I did and you can find links to scholarships and things like that to get a head start in last years financial aid handbook.

Has anyone received anything after sending in the acceptance deposit? I just called and they said they received my deposit but just to wait for more information.

hey everyone,

I have an interview coming up mid January. Besides going through the interview feedback section and practicing - can anyone offer any other tips? I'm a little bit older/non traditional student coming from a different healthcare career. Rowan is my absolute first choice and just want to be able to do everything I can to get accepted. Thank you!

hey everyone,

I have an interview coming up mid January. Besides going through the interview feedback section and practicing - can anyone offer any other tips? I'm a little bit older/non traditional student coming from a different healthcare career. Rowan is my absolute first choice and just want to be able to do everything I can to get accepted. Thank you!
Hi, I interviewed back on 11/18 and was really surprised I received my acceptance call on 12/1 I never anticipated a call so soon after my interview. This will be an open file interview and the interviewer will know your file well and it will be very conversational. I am pretty sure you will be asked Why Rowan? and Why osteopathic medicine? Also if you have not shadowed a DO, you should definitely get some exposure and even send an update letter to that effect prior to your interview. After the interview session, I was speaking with another candidate who was asked why they had not shadowed a DO? The interviewer asked, if you have not shadowed a DO, how do you know osteopathic medicine is for you?? Do not go in feeling intimated. From what I have been told, if you have received an invitation for an interview, they are interested in you. Rowan is selective in who they interview and my understanding is they offer admission to about 50% of the candidates. Also, Rowan is getting more research and grant money from the NIH and other sources. Do some homework on where their research efforts are in...such as geriatrics and opioid addiction. If you have an interest in research these are good questions to ask as it show interest on your part. Know your file, know Rowan's mission, don't stress....keep it conversational and you should do fine. Best of Luck

Hi, I interviewed back on 11/18 and was really surprised I received my acceptance call on 12/1 I never anticipated a call so soon after my interview. This will be an open file interview and the interviewer will know your file well and it will be very conversational. I am pretty sure you will be asked Why Rowan? and Why osteopathic medicine? Also if you have not shadowed a DO, you should definitely get some exposure and even send an update letter to that effect prior to your interview. After the interview session, I was speaking with another candidate who was asked why they had not shadowed a DO? The interviewer asked, if you have not shadowed a DO, how do you know osteopathic medicine is for you?? Do not go in feeling intimated. From what I have been told, if you have received an invitation for an interview, they are interested in you. Rowan is selective in who they interview and my understanding is they offer admission to about 50% of the candidates. Also, Rowan is getting more research and grant money from the NIH and other sources. Do some homework on where their research efforts are in...such as geriatrics and opioid addiction. If you have an interest in research these are good questions to ask as it show interest on your part. Know your file, know Rowan's mission, don't stress....keep it conversational and you should do fine. Best of Luck
Thank you so much for the great tips!

Congrats on your acceptance into Rowan! I saw that you interviewed on 11/18 and received your acceptance very shortly after. If you don't mind me asking, who did you interview with? I interviewed with Dr. Griesback on 11/16 and still haven't heard a word. It's a little concerning because people from my date and later have already heard back. Rowan is one of my top choices, if not #1. Thanks in advance!

Congrats on your acceptance into Rowan! I saw that you interviewed on 11/18 and received your acceptance very shortly after. If you don't mind me asking, who did you interview with? I interviewed with Dr. Griesback on 11/16 and still haven't heard a word. It's a little concerning because people from my date and later have already heard back. Rowan is one of my top choices, if not #1. Thanks in advance!
Hi, my interview was with Dr. Jermyn. I have been hearing that several of the interviewers have been very slow in making their calls. Could be the holidays are impacting some of the committee more than others. There was an earlier post where someone said not to expect a call if accepted for 4-6 weeks minimum. Maybe, I just made the cutoff from the last committee meeting before Thanksgiving, but getting that call from Dr. Jermyn was really special. I sincerely hope you get the call - best of luck!!!

So if you havent shadowed a DO and dont have enough time to shadow one before an interview, will they look down upon you ?

So if you havent shadowed a DO and dont have enough time to shadow one before an interview, will they look down upon you ?
They won't look down upon you - just have to convince them that you are genuinly interested in osteopathic medicine. Its easier to with the shadowing experience

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Every interview is different and every interviewer has their own approach. The example I gave earlier was one person's experience that I happened to have a conversation with. I would not over think this. Is it easier to discuss if the subject comes up with some DO shadowing experience...sure, but it may very well not come up in your interview. If you have not shadowed a DO and won't have time prior to your interview, then if asked, prepare a good response on why you are passionate about osteopathic medicine and the philosophy behind it. Best of luck!!

Every interview is different and every interviewer has their own approach. The example I gave earlier was one person's experience that I happened to have a conversation with. I would not over think this. Is it easier to discuss if the subject comes up with some DO shadowing experience...sure, but it may very well not come up in your interview. If you have not shadowed a DO and won't have time prior to your interview, then if asked, prepare a good response on why you are passionate about osteopathic medicine and the philosophy behind it. Best of luck!!

Alright thank you!

Alright thank you!
This is such a seriously stressful time for all of us that its easy to take everything on SDN as gospel and compare yourself to every other candidate. Be yourself, know your file and know the merits and mission of the program. You will be fine!!!