2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@irule285 No matter where you interview at a DO school it would behoove you to prepare for the why osteopathic medicine question because it WILL get asked. There wasn't one single DO school I interviewed at that didn't ask it. Maybe it is your experience with DOs vs MDs and their interaction with patients. Maybe it is because you are interested in the earlier hands-on experience a DO receives in his/her training which may give you an edge in residency and with patient touch during rotations. Maybe it is because you are interested in finding out the source of a patient's problem and because you have a curious personality and always want to know "why?" when a patient comes into you with a complaint. These are just some of the reasons why I chose DO, but if you can really sit down and think why then it shouldn't be tough to explain to an interviewer. Anyways good luck on your upcoming interview and I hope you choose RowanSOM! Inbox me if you have more questions and let me know how the interview goes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@irule285 No matter where you interview at a DO school it would behoove you to prepare for the why osteopathic medicine question because it WILL get asked. There wasn't one single DO school I interviewed at that didn't ask it. Maybe it is your experience with DOs vs MDs and their interaction with patients. Maybe it is because you are interested in the earlier hands-on experience a DO receives in his/her training which may give you an edge in residency and with patient touch during rotations. Maybe it is because you are interested in finding out the source of a patient's problem and because you have a curious personality and always want to know "why?" when a patient comes into you with a complaint. These are just some of the reasons why I chose DO, but if you can really sit down and think why then it shouldn't be tough to explain to an interviewer. Anyways good luck on your upcoming interview and I hope you choose RowanSOM! Inbox me if you have more questions and let me know how the interview goes.

Thank you! I really like rowansom

Has anyone received anything after sending in the acceptance deposit? I just called and they said they received my deposit but just to wait for more information.
Yeah I think we just have to wait. If you're doing the pre-matric program apparently we are going to get more information in January.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just had my interview today with Dr. Cooper - did anyone have her? She seemed to be very research focused and didnt really care to learn about my activities or personality.

Just had my interview today with Dr. Cooper - did anyone have her? She seemed to be very research focused and didnt really care to learn about my activities or personality.
I'm sorry to hear that. I don't think Ive heard of Dr. Cooper before. Pretty much all of the faculty I have had the pleasure of running into or have heard about I've heard nothing but great things. Did she seem friendly and personable at least or using scare-tactics?

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't think Ive heard of Dr. Cooper before. Pretty much all of the faculty I have had the pleasure of running into or have heard about I've heard nothing but great things. Did she seem friendly and personable at least or using scare-tactics?

I believe she's a PhD faculty at Rowan SOM after looking her up online. I feel her general style was not too friendly and she was really focused on the ACA and the specifics of my research rather than my application and how it relates to a medical career. Interesting interview to say the least.

I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences if they interviewed with her!

I believe she's a PhD faculty at Rowan SOM after looking her up online. I feel her general style was not too friendly and she was really focused on the ACA and the specifics of my research rather than my application and how it relates to a medical career. Interesting interview to say the least.

Try focusing on the positive! There's got to be some! Maybe that's just the way she interviews, hopefully you're pleasantly surprised in the weeks to come!

I agree with @TattedMed . It could just be her personality! I know some medical school applicants that think they killed their interviews and got rejected and then some that thought they tanked and they got the call! You really just never know with the med school interview process. Just be patient and hopefully you'll get a call soon. At the very worst, just know that it is rare for an applicant to get outright rejected from RowanSOM post-interview and their is usually movement on the waitlist in past years. They are extremely picky about who they interview, so keep your head up and keep us all posted!

Has anyone else received the email about the background check?

I did not interview with Dr. Cooper but did interview with PhD faculty. We ended up discussing research extensively, and I maybe gave 2-3 sentence replies to questions about service and hobbies. I was terrified I'd messed up the rest of the day, and biting my nails in the weeks following. I think this was because SDN coaches DO applicants to be touchy-feely and emphasize their humanitarian endeavors above all else. I was thrown for a loop when my interview did not go this way.

I was ultimately accepted. In the past I have been told, enthusiastically, I was a perfect fit and wound up wait-listed or rejected post-interview.

I can't tell you exactly what my interviewer thought of me, but questions were carefully tailored to my application. With respect to research I made sure to give organized and concise descriptions of my projects. Perhaps I was simply fortunate enough to have an interviewer who liked to talk about science. Many PhDs do. Or perhaps they were more interested in my ability to effectively communicate complex ideas, which is important in medicine. All you can do is answer the questions asked to the best of your ability. They read your application carefully and if they don't question you about something it doesn't mean they don't weight it.

Has anyone received anything after sending in the acceptance deposit? I just called and they said they received my deposit but just to wait for more information.

I called and was told it was received. Some days later I received an email from their admissions address confirming my seat in the class.

I feel like I say this everyday almost, but I really did call anytime I had a question. The admissions staff at RowanSOM is AWESOME and I mean no disrespect when I say that they're really there to answer any questions we have as students/prospective students. Don't be afraid to call guys! They're not going to look at your file and say to themselves, "This Tattedmed calls almost everyday and asks the most ridiculous questions in the most mundane way possible. We should retract his acceptance and have him bother someone else!" In fact, they'd probably think the opposite! DO NOT be afraid to call! There is no such thing as a dumb question and they really are more than willing to answer any questions we have.

I know I know. Because they're so helpful I suppose I feel bad pestering them.

Does anyone know if the deposit is refundable? Sent it in on Monday and I am going to be giving up my spot. Hope it goes to one of you all!! Best of luck !!

Does anyone know if the deposit is refundable? Sent it in on Monday and I am going to be giving up my spot. Hope it goes to one of you all!! Best of luck !!
It's a non-refundable deposit

RIP

No , but seriously it's a nonrefundable deposit like others have said. The whole point of it is to hold your seat, so if you decide to withdraw that's on you.

Nearly 30 applications to schools!? Jesus! Where do people get the money for all these applications!?!

Last edited:
I just got the call from Dr Griesback that I've been accepted! OMG THIS FEELS SO SURREAL!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So if you havent shadowed a DO and dont have enough time to shadow one before an interview, will they look down upon you ?

At every DO interview I've gone to they've asked why osteopathic medicine. Though I'm just another applicant who was fortunate enough to be accepted, I think its in your best interest to show you've investigated this pathway. I simply explained what I observed from researching, shadowing, and talking to DOs and how I liked what I saw. In all honesty I shadowed one DO who was kind of into community health and prevention. I shadowed another who said she didn't use OMM, shrugged, and said she went to become a doctor. I did not give a speech about treating the whole patient, or how I was amazed by OMM.

From SDN I get the sense DO schools are annoyed, more than anything, when an applicant submits a late application with no DO letter because they have no MD interviews. You've got to show them you're excited to be there.

congrats class of 2022. I am currently second year at rowansom. if you have question about merger and what to expect, and just in general. message me! will respond to them after my exam ! but wanna share the rowan love :)

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you! I interviewed 11/18

Aha, okay. I interviewed 11/29, and was wondering if any acceptances had been offered for that date yet. They told us that most likely they wouldn’t be able to get to our batch till 01/05, but I was hoping that they got us in before the holidays since it was only 6 of that us interviewed that day (an unusually small batch of interviewees, according to the admissions staff). Oh well, January it is! And, congratulations again.

Aha, okay. I interviewed 11/29, and was wondering if any acceptances had been offered for that date yet. They told us that most likely they wouldn’t be able to get to our batch till 01/05, but I was hoping that they got us in before the holidays since it was only 6 of that us interviewed that day (an unusually small batch of interviewees, according to the admissions staff). Oh well, January it is! And, congratulations again.

Wow, only 6?

Wow, only 6?

Yeah, it was a weekday, and a PM session (most of their sessions are in the morning from what I know, but this one was in the middle of the day past noon). Since we were just 6 and all of us were from NJ, the whole process including campus tours and all only lasted about 3 hours, and the admissions staff was super friendly the whole time. They said that they usually have 20-25 interviewees, which is what they had planned for the next day (11/30).

Ahhh, got my acceptance call earlier this morning!! I was so anxious waiting to hear back! Still can't believe it.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, it was a weekday, and a PM session (most of their sessions are in the morning from what I know, but this one was in the middle of the day past noon). Since we were just 6 and all of us were from NJ, the whole process including campus tours and all only lasted about 3 hours, and the admissions staff was super friendly the whole time. They said that they usually have 20-25 interviewees, which is what they had planned for the next day (11/30).

That must have had a different vibe to it.

Does anybody have information regarding living in Philadelphia and commuting to Rowan? Is it doable or would I spend a lot of time commuting? I’m planning on having a car, but not opposed to public transportation as well. Thanks in advance!

Does anybody have information regarding living in Philadelphia and commuting to Rowan? Is it doable or would I spend a lot of time commuting? I’m planning on having a car, but not opposed to public transportation as well. Thanks in advance!
Depending on where you lived in philly it would probably take around 30 minutes, but probably more during rush hour. There's a decent amount of traffic around the area as one would expect with the suburbs of a major city. Luckily, you'd be going in the opposite direction of most of the traffic. The PATCO sends you right into the Lindenwold station that is close to the school. The PATCO trip itself would take around 15-20 minutes from the city to Lindenwold station and then it's aboutttt a 15 minute walk from the station to the school. Source: from the area

my application was marked complete back in June and I still havent heard anything back.... why?

my application was marked complete back in June and I still havent heard anything back.... why?
You should contact admissions directly to see what the status of your application is. I'm sure we'd all love to help you, but just because some of us got in doesn't mean we've got the T

Hey guys, I just requested to join the FB group, let me in lol.
Just curious, how are folks figuring out housing etc. I currently live in Massachusetts, I'll be interested in renting a townhouse with someone.

Hey guys, I just requested to join the FB group, let me in lol.
Just curious, how are folks figuring out housing etc. I currently live in Massachusetts, I'll be interested in renting a townhouse with someone.

Well, first I've got to win the lottery or sell an organ on the black market. Then I've got to find a "nice" area that is within a decent distance of the school. There's tons of listings, but most of them are incredibly expensive. The school provides a decent list of places with prices and travel distances within a wide range of options. I've been looking here and there the past month but haven't really nailed anything down yet, if you find anything note worthy let me know!

Well, first I've got to win the lottery or sell an organ on the black market. Then I've got to find a "nice" area that is within a decent distance of the school. There's tons of listings, but most of them are incredibly expensive. The school provides a decent list of places with prices and travel distances within a wide range of options. I've been looking here and there the past month but haven't really nailed anything down yet, if you find anything note worthy let me know!

Thanks. I hear you man, same here.
Cool, will definitely do.

Safe to assume I was silently rejected? :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Rowan does re-review applications throughout the cycle. The admissions department is very friendly and if I were you and this school is your top choice, then I'd call them up and express your interest (maybe ask to sit in on a PBL, both because PBL is awesome and because it shows your interest in their specific curriculum).

Reactions: 1 users
Safe to assume I was silently rejected? :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Lol maybe me too? Complete since early July.

I don’t think any of us can answer this with any confidence for you guys. What I can tel you is, that just because you haven’t heard anything yet doesn’t mean you’ve been rejected. I applied extremely early last year and didn’t hear anything until February. You both still have a dog in the fight so don’t lose hope yet. As others have suggested, there’s things you can do to show some interest if you’re within distance of the school. Personally, I met with Dean Watkins on a few occasions and went to as many hosted events the school held as possible like open houses or days to shadow students. If nothing else just call Admissions on a biweekly basis and ask about your app. I would STRONGLY suggest setting up a 1:1 with Dean Watkins if at all possible because she will most deffinately tell you what you want to know and answer those questions you have that we cannot.

Hope this helps! DM me if you guys have more specific questions.

Any recommendations of expressing interest if you live across the country? I sent in an update last week. I’m originally from NJ and reached out a few months ago to try to schedule a tour while I was visiting family (especially to be like look I really do still have connections here despite living across the country!). They didn’t have anything going on the week I went though. I was complete the very end of June.

Any recommendations of expressing interest if you live across the country? I sent in an update last week. I’m originally from NJ and reached out a few months ago to try to schedule a tour while I was visiting family (especially to be like look I really do still have connections here despite living across the country!). They didn’t have anything going on the week I went though. I was complete the very end of June.

Call admissions, tell them you need to speak to Dean Watkins. Don't settle for anything less than speaking to her directly, even if it's to leave her a message. Explain to her what you just explained to me and ask her for her advice in what you should do. In my opinion, this is the only thing you can really do. That in and of itself expresses A LOT of interest, even if you don't get the answers you're looking for it shows how far you're willing to go despite living halfway across the country. If you do speak to her and you do plan to be in the area sometime soon, you could set up a meeting with her. At least you could throw the idea out there and see what she says. I'm not sure you have any other option aside from calling/emailing.

Call admissions, tell them you need to speak to Dean Watkins. Don't settle for anything less than speaking to her directly, even if it's to leave her a message. Explain to her what you just explained to me and ask her for her advice in what you should do. In my opinion, this is the only thing you can really do. That in and of itself expresses A LOT of interest, even if you don't get the answers you're looking for it shows how far you're willing to go despite living halfway across the country. If you do speak to her and you do plan to be in the area sometime soon, you could set up a meeting with her. At least you could throw the idea out there and see what she says. I'm not sure you have any other option aside from calling/emailing.
That is a seriously awesome idea. I’ll give it go and see what happens :D

Hi all,

I remember previously reading within this thread that someone was notified they had to do the summer Pre-Matriculation program, but wasn't actually required for them. Is it safe to assume if it's listed within the our Admission Checklist that we are actually required to do so? If so, is the only information currently available the dates? Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I remember previously reading within this thread that someone was notified they had to do the summer Pre-Matriculation program, but wasn't actually required for them. Is it safe to assume if it's listed within the our Admission Checklist that we are actually required to do so? If so, is the only information currently available the dates? Thanks in advance.

That was probably me. I wasn't required to do it, but I got in contact with the person in charge because I think it is going to be a good experience/refresher. If you didn't receive anything about it in your acceptance email attachments then you probably aren't required. Never hurts to get in contact with them to make sure.

Hey guys,

Did anybody else receive an acceptance email today? I interviewed 11/29 and was supposed to get a phone call on January 5th or onwards (the next admissions committee), they told me last week that my application was under review. I had no idea they did acceptance emails. I never got a phone call from Dr. Griesback (who I interviewed with), and just received the email with the acceptance email from Kirsten today along with the packet. I didn’t know they sent those emails with the packets without phone calls. It seemed unusual, but I am happy regardless!

Hey guys,

Did anybody else receive an acceptance email today? I interviewed 11/29 and was supposed to get a phone call on January 5th or onwards (the next admissions committee), they told me last week that my application was under review. I had no idea they did acceptance emails. I never got a phone call from Dr. Griesback (who I interviewed with), and just received the email with the acceptance email from Kirsten today along with the packet. I didn’t know they sent those emails with the packets without phone calls. It seemed unusual, but I am happy regardless!

This same thing happened to me. Lol

My interviewers forgot to call me. Congrats to you though!

Hey guys,

Congrats! Top choice?

Congrats! Top choice?

Yes, the only other school I am still leaving open is RWJMS, but considering I have been at Rutgers for 7 years now (4 years of undergraduate, 2 years of graduate school at RWJMS itself, 1 year of full-time work in research), I think it’s time to try out a new school / environment. I really enjoyed my two visits to RowanSOM this year (the open house and interview)!

Any chance they are still sending II? And are the spots (most likely) for the waitlist?

Hi Everyone! I am from Miami and will interviewing on Jan 10th so I had some questions about the weather! I will be bringing a big coat and was wondering if there is a space where to put purses and coats before the interview. Looking forward to my interview :)

There is a conference room where you will receive presentations and wait between interviews. They have coffee and water set out and you can leave your stuff.

As a general rule admissions offices, in my experience, don't mind questions like this about the interview day. And if they give you a demerit for wondering where to put your bag it's not someplace you wanna be.