2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello guys,

Congrats to all that got accepted.

I got a phone call last week saying that I was placed on the holdlist. From my understanding this is different from the waitlist or not? whoever has experience with this and can help me out here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hold list means you were accepted but there weren't enough seats as of now! So congratulations! Hold list is better than the waitlist. To my understanding, the hold list means you have priority over the WL when it comes to people dropping their spot when it gets closer to may and the summer months before school to fill the class, so I would assume that it is ranked. But, regardless if there isn't enough room this year you have a spot for next cycle already (at least I think). @TattedMed if you care to chime in? He is your man when it comes to this as I think he has more experience with this than I do

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hold list means you were accepted but there weren't enough seats as of now! So congratulations! Hold list is better than the waitlist. To my understanding, the hold list means you have priority over the WL when it comes to people dropping their spot when it gets closer to may and the summer months before school to fill the class, so I would assume that it is ranked. But, regardless if there isn't enough room this year you have a spot for next cycle already (at least I think). @TattedMed if you care to chime in? He is your man when it comes to this as I think he has more experience with this than I do

Thank you! Well my next question to that would be, how many people on average get accepted/removed from the HL into the class list for the incoming class....(not counting those given admission for the following year).
from what admissions told me is that it is ranked, but I am high up on the list. So is it based on where you stand on the list or what your rank is... so lets say they put someone on the HL next month who has better stats and ranking than me, does that mean that now they have a leg up over my spot even though I was on the list firs?

I am new to SDN, made an account to ask about these questions, so I apologize if I am not doing this correctly. lol

Thank you! Well my next question to that would be, how many people on average get accepted/removed from the HL into the class list for the incoming class....(not counting those given admission for the following year).
from what admissions told me is that it is ranked, but I am high up on the list. So is it based on where you stand on the list or what your rank is... so lets say they put someone on the HL next month who has better stats and ranking than me, does that mean that now they have a leg up over my spot even though I was on the list firs?

I am new to SDN, made an account to ask about these questions, so I apologize if I am not doing this correctly. lol
You're fine this is the correct way to ask! I would message TattedMed, he would know more about this than me. I am not sure approximately how many people get pulled off of the hold list, but I think last year almost everyone from the hold list got a seat, do NOT hold me to this statement though I am not 100% sure on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this mean that those of us who are likely going to hear back this week only have a shot at hold list or wait list at this point?

Does this mean that those of us who are likely going to hear back this week only have a shot at hold list or wait list at this point?
That I am not exactly sure about. Only people that would know that are RowanSOM admissions. May want to give them a call and ask that question. However, I would say that if you are placed on the Hold List you have a fairly high chance of grabbing a seat for this year. And if you don't, the good news is you are safe for next cycle already and don't have to re-apply to medical school again (that alone should make you feel good inside lmao). Hold list is not a bad position to be in at all!

Last edited:

When I got the phone call, they told me that the class size was filled up last week and they placed me on the holdlist.
If that helps

That I am not exactly sure about. Only people that would know that are RowanSOM admissions. May want to give them a call and ask that question. However, I would say that if you are placed on the Hold List you have a fairly high chance of grabbing a seat for this year. And if you don't, the good news is you are safe for next cycle already and don't have to re-apply to medical school again (that alone should make you feel good inside lmao). Hold list is not a bad position to be in at all!
meant to reply here
Great thanks! I will do that

When I got the phone call, they told me that the class size was filled up last week and they placed me on the holdlist.
If that helps
Wow! The class is full already?! That is crazy! A lot of movement on the hold list and a good amount of movement on the waitlist, so hang in there!

I had the same reaction
I was told the same thing when at my interview a few days ago. every year besides last yr, they got through all of the hold list.
This scared the crap out of me so i looked at previous threads and in the past few yrs, the class wasnt full till like end of january/early feb. but hopefully theres good movements this year.

So to clear up any confusion, the hold list is utilized for students that would have been accepted if the class size allowed. Unfortunately this does mean that the class is more than likely full, but that does not mean you’re out of the race. As far as I know, a hold list spot guarantees you a seat for next year and you need not reapply or anything should you not make it in this year. As far as I know, it’s not ranked in any particular way but I’m not 100% sure.

I do know that EVERY YEAR before last year they have entirely exhausted the hold list and utilized some students from the wait list. Last year was the FIRST year that the hold list wasn’t exhausted and that’s how I needed up in the class of ‘22. Luckily enough, I’ve landed with a great group of people and am more than grateful with the way things played out. You should be getting a physical copy of your hold list placement and it may or may not indicate your acceptance for next year should things not open up this year. You can always call admissions tomorrow and find out if you’re guaranteed a seat for next year.

Just to give you an idea, they went through 90-95% of the hold list last year.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does this mean that they aren't giving out interviews anymore?

So to clear up any confusion, the hold list is utilized for students that would have been accepted if the class size allowed. Unfortunately this does mean that the class is more than likely full, but that does not mean you’re out of the race. As far as I know, a hold list spot guarantees you a seat for next year and you need not reapply or anything should you not make it in this year. As far as I know, it’s not ranked in any particular way but I’m not 100% sure.

I do know that EVERY YEAR before last year they have entirely exhausted the hold list and utilized some students from the wait list. Last year was the FIRST year that the hold list wasn’t exhausted and that’s how I needed up in the class of ‘22. Luckily enough, I’ve landed with a great group of people and am more than grateful with the way things played out. You should be getting a physical copy of your hold list placement and it may or may not indicate your acceptance for next year should things not open up this year. You can always call admissions tomorrow and find out if you’re guaranteed a seat for next year.

Thank you so much for your time to answer this :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! I have an interview tomorrow, congratulations to those that have already been accepted! I can see that the class has filled up already, but I'm going to try my best to get a spot on the hold list. Any tips on the interview?

Hey guys! I have an interview tomorrow, congratulations to those that have already been accepted! I can see that the class has filled up already, but I'm going to try my best to get a spot on the hold list. Any tips on the interview?
Hi, This will be an open file interview and the interviewer will know your file well and it will be very conversational. I am pretty sure you will be asked Why Rowan? and Why osteopathic medicine? Do not go in feeling intimated, if you have received an invitation for an interview, they are interested in you. Also, Rowan is getting more research and grant money from the NIH and other sources. Do some homework on where their research efforts are in...such as geriatrics and opioid addiction. If you have an interest in research these are good questions to ask as it shows interest on your part. Know your file, know Rowan's mission, don't stress....keep it conversational and you should do fine. Best of Luck

Just FYI, Rowan SOM doesn't "interview for the HL/WL"

I've spoken to people there about it, and they are very much against that idea. If they invite you for an interview, there's interest in having you in THAT class.

So just be calm, confident, and put your best foot forward. Good luck!

Anyone know what interview dates should expect to hear back tomorrow regarding decisions?

Anyone know what interview dates should expect to hear back tomorrow regarding decisions?

I'm not sure where everyone gets the idea that because its Friday, you should hear back if you interviewed on X date. I never even got a call, I had to call them to find out I had been accepted. Don't give yourself anxiety by trying to calculate what day you should hear back by. Call them and ask where you stand regarding your interview, they're more than happy to tell you. If nothing else, they'd be able to give you a better idea of when you'd hear back by. When I called prior to being accepted they were always more than willing to let me know if my interview date had been covered yet and when should expect to hear something by if it hadn't. There are also other factors to consider when the committee meets. It's not just all applicants from this day are reviewed on this day, your interviewers may not be available to meet with the committee the same days that those applicants that were in your same interview pool are brought before the committee by their respective interviewers.

I can't suggest enough that if you have questions to call and ask, because the adcoms at Rowan are ALWAYS more than happy to answer any questions. That way you don't have to rely on us, not that we don't mind helping, but they would know more than any of us. Especially in this specific situation.

Hope this helps.

Just FYI, Rowan SOM doesn't "interview for the HL/WL"

I've spoken to people there about it, and they are very much against that idea. If they invite you for an interview, there's interest in having you in THAT class.

So just be calm, confident, and put your best foot forward. Good luck!

So that is now confusing to me. If the class is already full, then aren't the upcoming interviews are in fact for the HL, since at that moment they do not have available spots? Am I missing something here.

Last edited:
So that is now confusing to me. If the class is already full, then aren't the upcoming interviews are in fact for the HL, since at that moment they do not have available sports? Am I missing something here.

I interviewed then last year and got accepted. They don’t “interview for waitlist spots.”

"Then" being LATE February.

Because most people applying end up with a handful of acceptances and might choose to go elsewhere. Almost every school accepts more students than seats they have to offer.

Med schools operate almost in the same manner that airlines do when it comes to offering seats. Airlines often OVERBOOK flights assuming that some passengers aren't going to show up, this is similar to the way medical schools operate in that they assume students are going to choose to attend a different school that offers them an acceptance. Just because you're interviewing now, doesn't mean you can't get accepted. Between now and whenever you interview, spots can open up and you can be granted admission without being placed on the hold list. To assume that just because the class is full now, that it will be full in a month is a mistake considering the amount of schools a typical student applies to and their eagerness to attend X school over Y school for whatever reason they have. You'd be surprised at how quickly the class size can fluctuate between now and the end of the interview cycle.

Hope this clears up any confusion you have.

"Then" being LATE February.

Med schools operate almost in the same manner that airlines do when it comes to offering seats. Airlines often OVERBOOK flights assuming that some passengers aren't going to show up, this is similar to the way medical schools operate in that they assume students are going to choose to attend a different school that offers them an acceptance. Just because you're interviewing now, doesn't mean you can't get accepted. Between now and whenever you interview, spots can open up and you can be granted admission without being placed on the hold list. To assume that just because the class is full now, that it will be full in a month is a mistake considering the amount of schools a typical student applies to and their eagerness to attend X school over Y school for whatever reason they have. You'd be surprised at how quickly the class size can fluctuate between now and the end of the interview cycle.

Hope this clears up any confusion you have.

Yes I understand that, but I guess I am trying to get confirmation on the following. From what I have heard is that once the class is full, everyone who gets an interview and "gets in" so to say is placed on the hold list. Then, at some point, around April, the admc goes in the class list and checks how many available spots they have and they go back to the HL to pull people from it.. and the HL is presumingly ranked as well... So in a way, when one is interviewing between now and let's say March/April, they are in fact, interviewing for the HL because at that point the admc hasn't gone back to see how many students have dropped the acceptance and how many seats are available.

Am I getting this right?

Yes I understand that, but I guess I am trying to get confirmation on the following. From what I have heard is that once the class is full, everyone who gets an interview and "gets in" so to say is placed on the hold list. Then, at some point, around April, the admc goes in the class list and checks how many available spots they have and they go back to the HL to pull people from it.. and the HL is presumingly ranked as well... So in a way, when one is interviewing between now and let's say March/April, they are in fact, interviewing for the HL because at that point the admc hasn't gone back to see how many students have dropped the acceptance and how many seats are available.

Am I getting this right?

No.

What I tried to articulate is that the class actively fluctuates and people constantly withdraw their acceptance and they fill those spots IMMEDIATELY.

For example, there could be a hold list this week but by the end of the month there could be 10 seats available in the class and no hold list. If the school had a history of "interviewing for the hold list" people from the beginning of the cycle would have been placed on the hold list instead of being granted admission.

Like I said, "just because you're interviewing now, doesn't mean you can't get accepted. Between now and whenever you interview, spots can open up and you can be granted admission without being placed on the hold list."

Assuming that because there's a hold list today that there will be one tomorrow or the next day is wrong. You'd be surprised to find out how many people actually do get hold listed considering in past years it's almost a guarantee at admission for the upcoming term,

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
No.

What I tried to articulate is that the class actively fluctuates and people constantly withdraw their acceptance and they fill those spots IMMEDIATELY.

For example, there could be a hold list this week but by the end of the month there could be 10 seats available in the class and no hold list. If the school had a history of "interviewing for the hold list" people from the beginning of the cycle would have been placed on the hold list instead of being granted admission.

Like I said, "just because you're interviewing now, doesn't mean you can't get accepted. Between now and whenever you interview, spots can open up and you can be granted admission without being placed on the hold list."

Assuming that because there's a hold list today that there will be one tomorrow or the next day is wrong. You'd be surprised to find out how many people actually do get hold listed considering in past years it's almost a guarantee at admission for the upcoming term,

That was so beautifully said that it made me feel better

No.

preach!

Everyone is on the right track - hold list fluctuates always, and is also ranked. It is a variable process, unfortunately for everyone in your seats, but does make for the best possible class. - Current First Year from the hold list

Reactions: 5 users
just got the HL call. keeping my fingers crossed for some active HL movement this cycle!

@ajuquin, when did you interview if you don't mind me asking?

Wholeheartedly agree with you on this one @TattedMed you should ALWAYS send thank yous its just common curteosy and polite. They spent a lot of time going through your app and considered you as a potential candidate for their school. LEAST you can do is thank them! And do not send generic ones make them personal!
For those of you guys that did send out thank you notes to your interviewer, did you get responses back? Dr. Griesback interviewed me and I sent him an email but I did not get any response. Is that okay? Should I send another email?

Hey guys, i'm new to the forum. I submitted my secondaries mid-November and still have not heard back yet. I am from Jersey but my stats are pretty average. All this talk about a holdlist makes me think that they won't interview because there's not any seats open. How long after you submitted your secondaries did you get called for an interview? Do you think they stopped giving out interviews?

For those of you guys that did send out thank you notes to your interviewer, did you get responses back? Dr. Griesback interviewed me and I sent him an email but I did not get any response. Is that okay? Should I send another email?

I only got a response from one of the students that gave me a tour and Dr. Boyd. I sent one email to a bunch of different people I met that day and neither one of my interviewers ever responded to my emails. If you sent it to the right email, you're good. I wouldn't spam their inbox with the same letter over and over.

Hey guys, i'm new to the forum. I submitted my secondaries mid-November and still have not heard back yet. I am from Jersey but my stats are pretty average. All this talk about a holdlist makes me think that they won't interview because there's not any seats open. How long after you submitted your secondaries did you get called for an interview? Do you think they stopped giving out interviews?

I submitted in like October and got an invite around now/early Feb.

Hey so I am not sure when you interviewed, but if its anytime recent, you were supposed to email one of the admissions staff and not the interviewer themselves. Atleast thats what they told us during my interview

I had a different interviewer but sent a thank you email. I received no reply, but was accepted. This was October. They had emails of all interviewers on a sheet.

In my experience most people don't say thank you for thank you notes (some do), but otherwise it's an endless chain.

Reactions: 3 users
I never got a response back either, but they are busy physicians/professors. They appreciate the thank yous though, trust me. It's the gesture that counts

I sent a thank you note to Dr. Griesback and never received a response either, but was accepted a few weeks later. I wouldn’t send another email.

For those of you who have seen the campus and the surrounding area, what would you guys say? Recently interviewed at Touro Middletown and while the interior was nice, I really didn't like the area that much.

Last edited:
For those of you who have seen the campus and the surrounding area, what would you guys say? Recently interviewed at Touro Middletown and while the interior was nice, I really didn't like the area that much.
I currently go to school here as a GSBS student, as well as live in the area and it's definitely nicer than most school's areas are! Off-campus apartments are easy to find and are located in nice areas!

Hey, I applied to Rowan and was complete at the end of September and I haven’t heard back yet.

Does anyone know if they send out interview invites in February or March ?

Hey, I applied to Rowan and was complete at the end of September and I haven’t heard back yet.

Does anyone know if they send out interview invites in February or March ?
Yes they do

I interviewed with Dr. Germyn and on interview day was told if you intended to send a thank you note, to send it to his secretary. I did and she emailed back an acknowledgement saying she would forward it on to hm.

It's a suburb of Philly. By train it's only 15 minutes away or by car maybe 20 minutes. It's a nice area with lots to do, but it is pretty populated since it is so close to the city.

Hi! So I guess I'm wondering why are they giving out II's or interviews still? If we interview at this point, can we expect only to be on the HL if we're lucky or on the WL if we're not...? I'm super nervous now (sorry!)

No.

Sorry I just saw this! I'm interviewing next week and feeling nervous knowing that the class size is full as of now. Going to go in and be myself though and hope there is some movement as everyone has been saying! That said, is a HL a guaranteed spot in next year's class? Or are there contingencies to be met? Sorry for all the questions, thanks for your answers in advance!

Sorry I just saw this! I'm interviewing next week and feeling nervous knowing that the class size is full as of now. Going to go in and be myself though and hope there is some movement as everyone has been saying! That said, is a HL a guaranteed spot in next year's class? Or are there contingencies to be met? Sorry for all the questions, thanks for your answers in advance!

Hl is a guaranteed spot for next year, correct!