2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anatomy concepts are folded into their learning objectives in cases, and they are also responsible for the concepts in their self study, and then if they take advantage of it, they have lab time to dissect.
so that means no anatomy practical exams either correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone from 3/1 interview heard anything? Or any of the late February interview dates?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I stopped going to class the first week of school and echoed everything from home. My version of PBL. ;p

I stopped going to class the first week of school and echoed everything from home. My version of PBL. ;p

I want to do the same thing, however I really do enjoy going to lecture. Do you miss out on anything by not going? Also, are the lectures "archived" or are they typically taken down within a certain amount of time?

Reactions: 1 user
I want to do the same thing, however I really do enjoy going to lecture. Do you miss out on anything by not going? Also, are the lectures "archived" or are they typically taken down within a certain amount of time?

It really depends on the student/person you are. Some people really like going to class and feel like they need to learn in a classroom environment. A lot of people do really well that way. I, on the other hand, do not learn that well in class and do better at home. At home I can pause, rewind, look things up and overall get a good grasp of a topic before moving on to the next topics. You can't do that in a classroom. In class you try to hold on to the bull as long as you can and hope you remember something after.

You definitely don't miss out on anything. I would say half the class right now is learning from home. I have been able to do consistently well (currently high passing/honoring all my classes) simply from echoing. Btw, I post results only to show that is works so that those who may be afraid of doing that are reassured that it can work.

The echoes are available to you until the year ends. Which reminds me that I need to start downloading them before I lose access to them!

You learn very quickly in med school that everyone has a different method of studying. Be open to trying new methods when you first show up and don't be scared to stick with what works. Some kids taking endless notes and that works for them. Some go to class and that works for them. Others don't even take notes (I am in this category)! Stick with what works and you will be fine. Med school is scary at first, but eventually, you learn how to handle it.

Reactions: 1 users
I wrote this a few weeks ago. Let me know if it helps:

"I think medical students have a good handle on the obvious things that help retain information: making charts, doing questions, keeping organized, etc. What I would like to focus on is those items that often get forgotten or overlooked by students. Things that I think are crucial to becoming a good medical student.

1. Medical School is Not One Size Fits All

I think it is extremely important to emphasize to the incoming class that there is no one single recipe for success. There is more than one successful way to reach the top of this mountain called medical school and they should not shy away from what they think will work the best for them. For example, over the past year I have taken exactly zero notes. Conversely, there are students who do extremely well by rewriting notes over and over. In both cases, we have reached the same level of success with different methods. The incoming students should be open to all different methods coming in, but should not shy away from keeping what works for them, even if it is a little unorthodox (not taking notes).

2. Use Existing Neural Pathways to Integrate Information

This sounds complicated, but it is actually very simple. Our brains have numerous tracts, or connections, that we have formed over the course of our lives. By encoding new information into these strong and longstanding connections we have a better chance of memorizing the new information more effectively and with less effort. For example, want to learn about Staph Aureus and its pathology and clinical presentation? Tie all the minutiae of the bacteria with a childhood memory where you, or someone you may have known, accidently soiled themselves. Or a memory where you had to stay home from school for one week because of abdominal pain and diarrhea. By envisioning Staph Aureus as the cause of the symptoms that occurred in this real life event, you are able to recall the details of the bacterium quickly and easily. As a child, I had a bad accident where I fell of my bike and lost most of the skin of my knees. When I studied bacteria such as Staph Aureus, I envisioned the concrete floor on which I fell harboring Staph and followed the progression of what would have occurred in my body following the fall and infection with this pathogen. By making medical school content personal, we are able to hold onto it longer and with less effort.

3. Bring The Material to Life

I am 27-years-old and can still remember vividly almost every scene in the movie The Lion King that came out in 1994, four years after I was born. Why? Our brains are weird things, they tend to memorize lyrics to a song, movie scenes and almost anything else that is fun very easily, but tend to forget things such as calculus and physics. The best way to retain information for a long period of time is to do exactly that: bring it to life in your head by creating a movie, song, or picture using that material.

For example, let’s say you are trying to remember that the C3, C4, and C5 nerves all innervate and control the diaphragm. This fact seems simple enough to memorize via rote memorization, but with hundreds of facts to recall on a weekly basis it may get lost under the pile of information you have to commit to memory. Let’s instead envision a movie scene where you have 5 people onboard a red colored hot air balloon that is in mid-air and headed towards an oncoming tornado. In this case, the balloon has a “C” in the middle of it to symbolize nerves of the cervical spine and it is colored red to symbolize skeletal muscle (the fibers that make of the diaphragm). Panicked by the oncoming tornado, the 5 people onboard spring into action.

Initially, 3 of the nervous people onboard attempt to bring the balloon down, but they have little-to-no success. The 4th “nervous” person attempts to help and the balloon descends even further, but they are still in mid-air. Only when all 5 of the people onboard work together does the balloon touchdown on land at which point they all drive away to safety. In this case, the “nervous people” are the nerves (3,4,5) which are all required to successfully descend (or bring down) the hot air balloon (diaphragm). By bringing the information to life and depicting it in this manner you can see that it is a lot easier to retain and, ironically, sort of fun.

This isn’t a unique method. It has been used for a long time and by many companies such as Sketchy Micro to help students with learning. I think, however, that most forget that this tool exists, so it is important to discuss these methods during the Pre-Matric Program.

4. Don’t Just Memorize. Understand Why!

“Why?”, is probably one of the most important questions anyone could ask. Sure, knowing that C3, C4 and C5 innervate the diaphragm is great, but is there a reason why that is? Why not T5-T7? Taking an even bigger leap, why doesn’t the diaphragm just control itself and not need any external ques to contract and relax?

What I have found during my short time in medical school is that I learn best when I continually ask why something is a certain way. By always asking why and climbing up the logical ladder with each step, students are able to really fully understand something and retain is much longer than simply memorizing it.

5. Study for Your Future Patients, Not a Grade.

We are all victims to this. Most medical students, including myself, get lost in the rat race that is medical school. We forget about why we do this and everything boils down to grades, rank, and boards. Remembering why we even do this, however, is a strong motivator to keep going during the times when we feel burnt or when we don’t do so well. For example, when I feel like I can’t go any longer I remember that one day patients with cancer will rely on me to help them walk through a scary time in their lives. Studying with the purpose of one day being the best doctor you can be will push you further and make things more enjoyable than studying for numbers."

If there are any factual errors feel free to correct and repost.

Reactions: 3 users

How many hours do you spend in anatomy/week? Also how often are you taking exams? Thank you in advance! Trying to get a better understanding b/ween PBL and traditional time requirements outside of self study.

I wrote this a few weeks ago. Let me know if it helps:

"I think medical students have a good handle on the obvious things that help retain information: making charts, doing questions, keeping organized, etc. What I would like to focus on is those items that often get forgotten or overlooked by students. Things that I think are crucial to becoming a good medical student.

1. Medical School is Not One Size Fits All

I think it is extremely important to emphasize to the incoming class that there is no one single recipe for success. There is more than one successful way to reach the top of this mountain called medical school and they should not shy away from what they think will work the best for them. For example, over the past year I have taken exactly zero notes. Conversely, there are students who do extremely well by rewriting notes over and over. In both cases, we have reached the same level of success with different methods. The incoming students should be open to all different methods coming in, but should not shy away from keeping what works for them, even if it is a little unorthodox (not taking notes).

2. Use Existing Neural Pathways to Integrate Information

This sounds complicated, but it is actually very simple. Our brains have numerous tracts, or connections, that we have formed over the course of our lives. By encoding new information into these strong and longstanding connections we have a better chance of memorizing the new information more effectively and with less effort. For example, want to learn about Staph Aureus and its pathology and clinical presentation? Tie all the minutiae of the bacteria with a childhood memory where you, or someone you may have known, accidently soiled themselves. Or a memory where you had to stay home from school for one week because of abdominal pain and diarrhea. By envisioning Staph Aureus as the cause of the symptoms that occurred in this real life event, you are able to recall the details of the bacterium quickly and easily. As a child, I had a bad accident where I fell of my bike and lost most of the skin of my knees. When I studied bacteria such as Staph Aureus, I envisioned the concrete floor on which I fell harboring Staph and followed the progression of what would have occurred in my body following the fall and infection with this pathogen. By making medical school content personal, we are able to hold onto it longer and with less effort.

3. Bring The Material to Life

I am 27-years-old and can still remember vividly almost every scene in the movie The Lion King that came out in 1994, four years after I was born. Why? Our brains are weird things, they tend to memorize lyrics to a song, movie scenes and almost anything else that is fun very easily, but tend to forget things such as calculus and physics. The best way to retain information for a long period of time is to do exactly that: bring it to life in your head by creating a movie, song, or picture using that material.

For example, let’s say you are trying to remember that the C3, C4, and C5 nerves all innervate and control the diaphragm. This fact seems simple enough to memorize via rote memorization, but with hundreds of facts to recall on a weekly basis it may get lost under the pile of information you have to commit to memory. Let’s instead envision a movie scene where you have 5 people onboard a red colored hot air balloon that is in mid-air and headed towards an oncoming tornado. In this case, the balloon has a “C” in the middle of it to symbolize nerves of the cervical spine and it is colored red to symbolize skeletal muscle (the fibers that make of the diaphragm). Panicked by the oncoming tornado, the 5 people onboard spring into action.

Initially, 3 of the nervous people onboard attempt to bring the balloon down, but they have little-to-no success. The 4th “nervous” person attempts to help and the balloon descends even further, but they are still in mid-air. Only when all 5 of the people onboard work together does the balloon touchdown on land at which point they all drive away to safety. In this case, the “nervous people” are the nerves (3,4,5) which are all required to successfully descend (or bring down) the hot air balloon (diaphragm). By bringing the information to life and depicting it in this manner you can see that it is a lot easier to retain and, ironically, sort of fun.

This isn’t a unique method. It has been used for a long time and by many companies such as Sketchy Micro to help students with learning. I think, however, that most forget that this tool exists, so it is important to discuss these methods during the Pre-Matric Program.

4. Don’t Just Memorize. Understand Why!

“Why?”, is probably one of the most important questions anyone could ask. Sure, knowing that C3, C4 and C5 innervate the diaphragm is great, but is there a reason why that is? Why not T5-T7? Taking an even bigger leap, why doesn’t the diaphragm just control itself and not need any external ques to contract and relax?

What I have found during my short time in medical school is that I learn best when I continually ask why something is a certain way. By always asking why and climbing up the logical ladder with each step, students are able to really fully understand something and retain is much longer than simply memorizing it.

5. Study for Your Future Patients, Not a Grade.

We are all victims to this. Most medical students, including myself, get lost in the rat race that is medical school. We forget about why we do this and everything boils down to grades, rank, and boards. Remembering why we even do this, however, is a strong motivator to keep going during the times when we feel burnt or when we don’t do so well. For example, when I feel like I can’t go any longer I remember that one day patients with cancer will rely on me to help them walk through a scary time in their lives. Studying with the purpose of one day being the best doctor you can be will push you further and make things more enjoyable than studying for numbers."

If there are any factual errors feel free to correct and repost.

Inbox me this so I can constantly read it!!!!!

Honestly though, I couldn't agree more. I am a south jersey native and am trying to save myself money by commuting when I need to actually be on campus instead of spending a ridiculous amount of money on housing and stuff. I have always been one to go to lecture and sit there and take notes, but I think it was more so because I was required to and less because I wanted to. I can sit and listen and learn just as well without writing any notes, much like yourself. I was just curious if there was use of visual aids or anything like that, which would ultimately not be available on the echo. Thanks again!

How many hours do you spend in anatomy/week? Also how often are you taking exams? Thank you in advance! Trying to get a better understanding b/ween PBL and traditional time requirements outside of self study.

Going on memory here. But early on it was 1 anatomy lab a week (about 4 hours, generally less if you have a good group) + about 2.5-3 hours of OMM a week (required hours) + and 1-2 hours of On Doctoring a week.

Starting this block (neuro) we have at least 2 anatomy labs a week and less OD time.

Again, going on memory, so if any of my classmates want to verify/correct this please feel free to do so! :)

Just to let everyone know, the weekly schedules for first years, second, and pbls are on rowan’s site. Itll tell you when every class is

Members don't see this ad :)
Last interview date is April 12th for those who wanted to know.

I spoke to Jeanine today, had a few questions about FAFSA for people on the HL. Fellow HL'ers she told me same thing, to expect movement in May. I did also ask if anyone had been moved off the HL and she said no one has. So hang in there guys! I'm hopeful :)

Received my financial award letter today, but the only thing is that I'm on the hold list. I'm so confused because my letter says that I'm a member of the Class of 2022. Similar thing happened when my portal said I was accepted and asked for a deposit but I was told that I'm on the Hold list and then when I called they took away the acceptance tab. I feel like I'm being trolled every single time. The waiting is fine but this stuff just adds to the anxiety ..

Does anybody know if you're currently in a Master's program (like Master's in Biomedical Sciences), do you have to complete the entire master's degree before you matriculate in the fall?

For example, I'm currently in the Rutgers Newark MBS program and we need 30 credits to complete the program. This program allows us to transfer back 6 credits from medical school (given the medical school allows it). So does Rowan allow students to transfer back credits or does the student have to finish all 30 credits?

Does anybody know if you're currently in a Master's program (like Master's in Biomedical Sciences), do you have to complete the entire master's degree before you matriculate in the fall?

For example, I'm currently in the Rutgers Newark MBS program and we need 30 credits to complete the program. This program allows us to transfer back 6 credits from medical school (given the medical school allows it). So does Rowan allow students to transfer back credits or does the student have to finish all 30 credits?

They allow you to transfer back I’m pretty sure, but I’d call and ask just in case! I was told I would be allowed to if I attend here!

Question: has Rowan released their 2018 Match Stats??

Question: has Rowan released their 2018 Match Stats??

If you search for my comments I posted a bunch of our matches that I know of. I don’t have the official list yet, they’re still putting it together.

If you search for my comments I posted a bunch of our matches that I know of. I don’t have the official list yet, they’re still putting it together.
I’m dying to know haha I lowkey thought they were going to hand it out at Accepted Students’ Day.

hey, thanks...went back and checked your posts!!
would love to see the official match stats soon

Last edited:
How long after your interview did you guys hear back?

How long after your interview did you guys hear back?

Sooner if you interviewed earlier In the season and later if you interviewed around January. About 2 weeks to a month or more depending on when you interviewed.

Thanks for letting me know! Where did you get info regarding prematric? I've been waiting on an email for info/how to sign up. Did I miss it?
In your acceptance paperwork that gets emailed to you by admissions, there's a form for prematriculation to fill out and email in. Once you do that, you'll get an email from the program director with more details including those dates.

Thanks for letting me know! Where did you get info regarding prematric? I've been waiting on an email for info/how to sign up. Did I miss it?
If you didn’t get it in your accepted packet. Email Ferin Ford for the paperwork and tell her you like to sign up.

has anyone who interviewed from mid-fed to mid-march heard back yet?

People from my interview date (3/1) already heard back and I know someone whose interview was later in March that heard back already!

There’s really no timetable for hearing back. I heard back the day after my interview when I applied. I know people that got calls as late as June.

People from my interview date (3/1) already heard back and I know someone whose interview was later in March that heard back already!
oh geez!!
I wonder how that bodes for me. Watch - I get a rejection letter tomorrow or something :(

oh geez!!
I wonder how that bodes for me. Watch - I get a rejection letter tomorrow or something :(
Sometimes a few individual get delayed responses because their interviewer could not make it to the committee meeting or because they still havent submitted their reviews. Your best bet is to call and just ask.

oh geez!!

Don't worry, I also interviewed the during the same time period (last week of feb/beginning march) and haven't heard back. my interview went well and the experience was great. I contacted rowan about my app after waiting till the third friday of march and then the first friday of this month .. and they said that all the paperwork wasn't ready yet for the committee meeting. so it really does come down to whoever interviews you and how prompt they are with submitting their documents. the wait is just a real slow burn.

oh geez!!
I agree with what everyone else is saying! I interviewed on 3/1 and I’m the only one I think from my interview date that hasn’t heard a thing! But Jeannine reassured me it wasn’t a bad thing, and that I was getting reviewed next week!

Does anyone know if we can get our rank for the hold list?

Does anyone know if we can get our rank for the hold list?
They were waiting for interviews to complete, which according to sdn, are done by now. 4/12 was the last day.

I think someone mentioned this up there, but I gave them a call because I did not hear back for a month, and turns out I was accepted onto the hold list and just hadn't received my call yet. So you never know!

I am currently on the hold list, was wondering, has anyone heard anything yet from Rowan on the hold list? I called once or twice and they stated that there was no movement as of yet. I heard from a friend who was on the list last year, they started telling him his rank on the list like top 20% of the list of top 10% etc.

I think someone mentioned this up there, but I gave them a call because I did not hear back for a month, and turns out I was accepted onto the hold list and just hadn't received my call yet. So you never know!

This same thing happened to me last year. nobody ever called me and I found out I had been accepted AFTER I called them lol

I am currently on the hold list, was wondering, has anyone heard anything yet from Rowan on the hold list? I called once or twice and they stated that there was no movement as of yet. I heard from a friend who was on the list last year, they started telling him his rank on the list like top 20% of the list of top 10% etc.

When did you interview? As far as I know, there is some way to ranking the hold list, but I'm not too sure about how they do it. To be honest, it seems the later the interviewed the further down the list you tend to land. That being said, I'd call once a month or once every two weeks to kind of stay in the loop. There was movement last year, but it takes quite a while to get going and it wasn't like they flew through students on the hold list so just give it time.

Jeannine told me that they can give a better idea on ranking in a month, since the list isn’t finalized yet and still forming. They probably still have interviewees to review next week (who had interviews this month or so). Till then, more waiting till they finish all of that.

Sigh. It’s gonna be May.

Jeannine told me that they can give a better idea on ranking in a month, since the list isn’t finalized yet and still forming. They probably still have interviewees to review next week (who had interviews this month or so). Till then, more waiting till they finish all of that.

Sigh. It’s gonna be May.

Thanks for this update! The wait is giving me anxiety, and I can't wait for it to be over! Fingers crossed there's lots of movement and we all get a seat!

Yeah, same. I interview
This same thing happened to me last year. nobody ever called me and I found out I had been accepted AFTER I called them lol

When did you interview? As far as I know, there is some way to ranking the hold list, but I'm not too sure about how they do it. To be honest, it seems the later the interviewed the further down the list you tend to land. That being said, I'd call once a month or once every two weeks to kind of stay in the loop. There was movement last year, but it takes quite a while to get going and it wasn't like they flew through students on the hold list so just give it time.

I interviewed on Jan 17th. Didn't find out about the hold list until early March. I had a friend find out that he got into Rowan last year off the hold list in late April, so there could be a shot that we hear back this month. But, I guess the waiting game is real lmao

I really would rather know sooner than later lmao because its just weird think, I dont know if I am going to start med school (granted I choose to do the prematriculation program) this June or next June lmao. That's a huge difference, 2 months vs. 14 months! LOL!