2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my acceptance package!!

Fyi, interviewed on 23rd September (my first interview jeez!), got the acceptance call from one of my interviewers on 6th October, and finally received the anticipated email today half an hour ago.
Hopefully that put y'all comparing timelines at ease.

Also who's gonna be my classmate? Comment here or add yourself to the "RowanSOM accepted class of 2022" group on facebook.

Let's get this party started :)

Link this Facebook page bro!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Rowan SOM is my first choice although I applied RD because I didn't have a 3.6 overall! No interview invite yet, what do you guys think are my chances? (I did get 3 interviews at other D.O. schools already. Applied osteopathic only). I'm definitely getting scared reading how everybody already got interviews! :((

Stats:
Complete: 8/3/2017; however pre health committee letter not uploaded until 9/25/2017 (no control over this, pre health advisor was late due to large cohort of students)
cGPA: 3.58
sGPA: 3.60
MCAT: 517
Major: Biomedical Engineering. Biology Minor
ECs: lots, research, volunteering, HCE, I took a gap year currently working as Patient Care Tech in Hospital and Kaplan MCAT instructor
LORS: D.O. and M.D. letter

In State student, I know several Rowan SOM med students!!
I feel like you should have also applied to some MD school because your MCAT is awesome Don't sell yourself short, some schools overlook gpas if they see an upward trend.

OMG. What month did you interview?

The end of February of this year, lol

I feel like you should have also applied to some MD school because your MCAT is awesome Don't sell yourself short, some schools overlook gpas if they see an upward trend.

Maybe he or she didn't want to go MD? There's literally no difference between the two anymore in terms of specialization and residency, they're all just as competitive... Us DO's are just as good, if not better than any MD! Reading things like this really grinds my gears. :mad:

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Maybe he or she didn't want to go MD? There's literally no difference between the two anymore in terms of specialization and residency, they're all just as competitive... Us DO's are just as good, if not better than any MD! Reading things like this really grinds my gears. :mad:

The DO hate on SDN is real. Don't really see this much hate in the real world hmmmmm....

Reactions: 6 users
I think 9/28 and 10/5 interviews will be reviewed together.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So it does exist xD wasn't able to find it earlier

It's just the type of person I am. I am planning on going into family medicine or peds : ) I am not one of those people who wants to land the most high paying job ever, in the most competitive specialty ever...I want to be a great physician and excel in my studies but also live a simple life with family and friends and it's really important for me to attend a medical school with a *relatively* supportive atmosphere without extreme cut throat competition : ) also i think OMM is really cool, at one point i even debated becoming a massage therapist because i love using my hands to soothe/relieve pain :)

Reactions: 12 users
It's just the type of person I am. I am planning on going into family medicine or peds : ) I am not one of those people who wants to land the most high paying job ever, in the most competitive specialty ever...I want to be a great physician and excel in my studies but also live a simple life with family and friends and it's really important for me to attend a medical school with a *relatively* supportive atmosphere without extreme cut throat competition : ) also i think OMM is really cool, at one point i even debated becoming a massage therapist because i love using my hands to soothe/relieve pain :)
Where did you apply?! I'm going to call them on your behalf and DEMAND you be accepted! We need more physicians like this in the world! You'll do great things with a mentality like that.

Reactions: 2 users
You should have applied to MD as well. If you are IS, your stats and ECs should get you some love from the NJ schools.

Hello! Rowan SOM is my first choice although I applied RD because I didn't have a 3.6 overall! No interview invite yet, what do you guys think are my chances? (I did get 3 interviews at other D.O. schools already. Applied osteopathic only). I'm definitely getting scared reading how everybody already got interviews! :((

Stats:
Complete: 8/3/2017; however pre health committee letter not uploaded until 9/25/2017 (no control over this, pre health advisor was late due to large cohort of students)
cGPA: 3.58
sGPA: 3.60
MCAT: 517
Major: Biomedical Engineering. Biology Minor
ECs: lots, research, volunteering, HCE, I took a gap year currently working as Patient Care Tech in Hospital and Kaplan MCAT instructor
LORS: D.O. and M.D. letter

In State student, I know several Rowan SOM med students!!

I just got the interview invite this morning!! Haha so my SDN stressing was kinda silly. I'm interviewing on November 18 anybody else interviewing then? YAYYYY SO HAPPY :))))

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The DO hate on SDN is real. Don't really see this much hate in the real world hmmmmm....
I don't know why it would. Applying to Med School is a numbers game as well and you should always diversify your options.

Last edited:
you just sound salty

Lol. With my stats, I could have gone almost anywhere as well. No salt here, I have my acceptance to the program that was MY top choice. Hope you have the opportunity to say the same. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So I was complete here on 8/26. 3.78 cgpa/3.82 sgpa. 504 MCAT and oos. Should I just emotionally prepare myself for rejection and move on with my life since its been almost 2 months and no interview? This was one of my top choices but i haven't gotten an interview anywhere and i'm starting to freak out :( .

So I was complete here on 8/26. 3.78 cgpa/3.82 sgpa. 504 MCAT and oos. Should I just emotionally prepare myself for rejection and move on with my life since its been almost 2 months and no interview? This was one of my top choices but i haven't gotten an interview anywhere and i'm starting to freak out :( .

Have faith, I applied last year with better stats (no offense) and I'm IS. I waited until January before I got offered an interview.

Have faith, I applied last year with better stats (no offense) and I'm IS. I waited until January before I got offered an interview.

No offense taken :) ! Guess i just have to buckle down and be patient....Do they send rejection emails?

I just got the interview invite this morning!! Haha so my SDN stressing was kinda silly. I'm interviewing on November 18 anybody else interviewing then? YAYYYY SO HAPPY :))))
Congratulations, and good luck on your interview! It will be a very pleasant experience.

Just got my acceptance package!!

Fyi, interviewed on 23rd September (my first interview jeez!), got the acceptance call from one of my interviewers on 6th October, and finally received the anticipated email today half an hour ago.
Hopefully that put y'all comparing timelines at ease.

Also who's gonna be my classmate? Comment here or add yourself to the "RowanSOM accepted class of 2022" group on facebook.

Let's get this party started :)

I can't find the group on facebook..It doesn't show up when I search for it! Is it hidden or private?

I can't find the group on facebook..It doesn't show up when I search for it! Is it hidden or private?

NVM just saw that it was linked above. Got it :)

Wel.. complete on July 28th... still waiting to hear from them :/. This process is more frustrating everytime

and here I am waiting for a II when I finished everything on 9/18 lol, I'm thinking I am way too late including that I am OOS
It's just a long waiting game for us all clearly. I don't think you're truly late in applying until November personally. This is just a big lesson in patience ;P

I feel ridiculous for asking but:

Is breakfast or lunch served during the interview day? 8am-1pm is a long time and I have a drive ahead of me. Not sure if I should plan around eating at the hotel, or grabbing lunch afterwards...

I feel ridiculous for asking but:

Is breakfast or lunch served during the interview day? 8am-1pm is a long time and I have a drive ahead of me. Not sure if I should plan around eating at the hotel, or grabbing lunch afterwards...
They have granola bars, muffins, coffee, and tea.

Hi, I am international, complete on 7/31 and didn't hear anything since then. I try not to worry, but its been 2.5 months now and I am just wondering if there is something wrong with my application. 3.9GPA and 505 MCAT

Hi, I am international, complete on 7/31 and didn't hear anything since then. I try not to worry, but its been 2.5 months now and I am just wondering if there is something wrong with my application. 3.9GPA and 505 MCAT

You've got great stats well in excess the posted average! Though obviously there are other things like ECs to consider. Have you heard from elsewere?

Keep in mind that its a public university and 75% of the class are New Jersey residents.

Who is in charge of accepting people into the facebook group? I'm an accepted student off last cycle's hold list, but haven't been accepted into the FB group upon request yet.

did anyone who got waitlisted last year and re-applied have yet to hear back? Thought I would have a better shot this year having applied much earlier..
me, I was a relatively high placement last year and it's been all silence this cycle

Keep in mind that its a public university and 75% of the class are New Jersey residents.
If you just throw in that number and leave it there, it's very prone to misinterpretation. Contrary to popular belief on SDN, RowanSOM does accept quite a bit of OOS applicants. The fact that 75% of entering class are NJ residents doesn't translate to "RowanSOM hates OOS applicants." SOM is very selective in its admission process, so the chance are, if an OOS applicant was competitive enough to get accepted to SOM, he/she was accepted to many other schools also. It's just that most admitted OOS applicants end up not matriculating due to expensive OOS tuition, wanting to stay closer to family, etc. When I interviewed, there were people from Texas, Maryland, and even Canada. Even though SOM does accept more IS applicants, they are the top NJ applicants, and adcom will choose a strong OOS applicant over a mediocre IS applicant any day. So I hope that doesn't stop anyone from applying.

Reactions: 2 users
If you just throw in that number and leave it there, it's very prone to misinterpretation. Contrary to popular belief on SDN, RowanSOM does accept quite a bit of OOS applicants. The fact that 75% of entering class are NJ residents doesn't translate to "RowanSOM hates OOS applicants." SOM is very selective in its admission process, so the chance are, if an OOS applicant was competitive enough to get accepted to SOM, he/she was accepted to many other schools also. It's just that most admitted OOS applicants end up not matriculating due to expensive OOS tuition, wanting to stay closer to family, etc. When I interviewed, there were people from Texas, Maryland, and even Canada. Even though SOM does accept more IS applicants, they are the top NJ applicants, and adcom will choose a strong OOS applicant over a mediocre IS applicant any day. So I hope that doesn't stop anyone from applying.

I've tried explaining this very same thing before, it's a lost cause. :(

You've got great stats well in excess the posted average! Though obviously there are other things like ECs to consider. Have you heard from elsewere?

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I got 2 interviews so far from good schools but everywhere else I am in the dark. I guess the waiting game is getting to me. I was just curious about it because I see people who were complete in August and September are getting interviews and I was complete in July and still haven't heard anything.

For those of you who are accepted, does Rowan award any scholarships?

Anyone know when the committee would review the 10/11 interviews? Do they meet every other friday?/Does anyone know when they last met? Trying to get a feel for when I will hear back.

I dont know, I was a pretty mediocre OSS applicant that is a current first year lol. Rowan really wants to see if you fit their mission. I happened to mesh very well with their mission and the ADCOMs even mentioned it in my acceptance call!

Anyone know when the committee would review the 10/11 interviews? Do they meet every other friday?/Does anyone know when they last met? Trying to get a feel for when I will hear back.
They're meeting this Friday but they haven't reviewed the 9/28 interviews yet, so not sure when they'll review the ones on 10/11

Yeah, then I think priority will be 9/28 and 10/5. Do they meet once every two weeks?
Yup first and third Friday of the month. I would expect to hear back sometime after the first Friday in November but you could be surprised

from your interview experiences - did you have to explain any low grades/low MCAT scores to your interviewers?