2017-2018 Southern Illinois University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I know that schools do not have average board scores, but I saw a post about SIU students doing above average on boards. If it's true, that's really awesome! @ncklkrt Do you know anything about this and if so, do you think it's because of the curriculum at SIU? How much time do students usually get off to study for boards? Sorry for all the questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I know that schools do not have average board scores, but I saw a post about SIU students doing above average on boards. If it's true, that's really awesome! @ncklkrt Do you know anything about this and if so, do you think it's because of the curriculum at SIU? How much time do students usually get off to study for boards? Sorry for all the questions!

The exact numbers are only known to the admissions staff and dean, etc. but those I've talked to have been on top of the bell curve or beyond. Most people aren't forthcoming with their exact scores, similar to MCAT scores. However, you can look at our school's match list every year that gets posted after each class matches and we have some very impressive matches in location as well as specialty, so I would say a good number of us score above average. We also focus heavily on clinical skills, which is known to residencies and they really like SIU students for things beyond the STEP scores. I've talked with an intern who matched last year and she said she was more prepared than her other interns for the first 6 months of intern year thanks to SIU's clinical experience through medical school.

Here is a list of all the places graduates have matched in the past: Medical Residency Placements | SIU School of Medicine
Breakdown of matched specialties: NRMP (National Resident Matching Program) Match Results | SIU School of Medicine

A big part is SIU does not let you take STEP unless you pass all your M1 and M2 classes, and it seems if you can pass all the courses at school you can pass STEP. We are also given at least 6 weeks of dedicated study time in the spring before taking the test in the summer, but you can defer the start of your clerkship for more study time if you feel it necessary.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! Does anybody know when the committee is meeting next and sending out acceptances off of AWPA?

Hey guys! Does anybody know when the committee is meeting next and sending out acceptances off of AWPA?
My understanding is that they meet either the first week of every month or on the 5thc either way they are meeting this week for sure.

My understanding is that they meet either the first week of every month or on the 5thc either way they are meeting this week for sure.
Yes, meeting will be this week as they all just got back from winter break. Hopefully some more AWPA's coming your way before the weekend!

We were provided with some hard numbers a couple years ago that put us at/slightly above average for Step 1/Step 2 respectively. From what I'm hearing, the new curricular changes for MS3 have the involved faculty pretty excited, so apparently the numbers are backing up the changes that were made. Idk if they've published anything about it yet but if I find the article that may have some numbers for you.

I think @ncklkrt answered the other aspects of the questions well. The curriculum is pretty flexible, so it is (and Step 1 is) what you make of it. I took 5 weeks for Step 1, 4 weeks for Step 2 CK, and flipped through a review book for an hour for Step 2 CS. Plenty of time, and could have taken more for any of them.

Edit - I have no idea about any of the meetings and haven't been around school lately, hopefully @ncklkrt can provide some more info for you guys.

I was told that they would meet on 1/23 also?
I just checked with Beth:

We have 2 admissions committee meetings in January, one on the 9th and one on the 23rd.
We should be sending out the 2nd batch of acceptances after that 2nd committee meeting.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone hear back post-interview from the meeting this week?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was never put on AWPA. They emailed me today saying I was outright accepted. Lizzy 72

Congrats! also interviewed that day... lol

Admission office said they sent letters out wednesday afternoon.

So does that mean they already sent out the second batch of acceptances?

So does that mean they already sent out the second batch of acceptances?
A few have been sent out after their 9th meeting, but the 2nd official batch is still after their 23rd meeting.

Does anybody know if they sent out acceptances off of AWPA yet today??

Does anybody know if they sent out acceptances off of AWPA yet today??
Acceptances are usually sent out the Wednesday / Thursday after the meeting - I haven't heard of anything being sent as of close of business today.

Update from this morning - AWPAs from the 23rd meeting go out tomorrow, 1/25 and the 2nd batch of acceptances will be sent Friday 1/26 or Monday 1/29.

Reactions: 4 users
Update from this morning - AWPAs from the 23rd meeting go out tomorrow, 1/25 and the 2nd batch of acceptances will be sent Friday 1/26 or Monday 1/29.
Will it be a full batch of acceptances or was there a half batch sent out before?

I just called and they said the second batch went out this afternoon.

Do they send out those acceptances via emails? And anyone still waiting on the AWPA mail for the 1/23 meeting?

I just called and they said the second batch went out this afternoon.

Yup, Beth let me know that full second batch went out today. Congrats to those accepted! Still plenty more to come for those of you still waiting, hang in there!

Do they send out those acceptances via emails? And anyone still waiting on the AWPA mail for the 1/23 meeting?

Acceptance letters are sent out via both email and snail mail. The email is usually received first.

AWPA letter received January 16th... So if we did not receive an email yet, does that mean we were not accepted this batch?

AWPA letter received January 16th... So if we did not receive an email yet, does that mean we were not accepted this batch?
Correct. Next and final large batch will be at end of February, then rolling acceptances through early summer until the class is full.

How long does it take usually to get the mail regarding AWPA?