2017-2018 Southern Illinois University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if all acceptance emails sent out at once or periodically? Aka is there still hope :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Will we know our ranking on the AWPA list? Will they send out e-mails or can we call in to ask?

I don't want to sound cocky at all, but I interviewed at SIU very early in the season, and my LM is 79. I'm genuinely interested in the school but I've been AWPA since like October. Is it possible I'm getting yield protected because of my high MCAT/GPA or do you guys think I really blew my interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to sound cocky at all, but I interviewed at SIU very early in the season, and my LM is 79. I'm genuinely interested in the school but I've been AWPA since like October. Is it possible I'm getting yield protected because of my high MCAT/GPA or do you guys think I really blew my interview?
Did you remind them in the interview you were a high stat applicant in the interview? /s

It doesnt make sense for them to interview you if they had no intention of accepting you.

For a school like SIU with lower stats, they may have thought you weren’t interested and may go elsewhere because of your high stats. I’ve heard that quite a bit.

Did you remind them in the interview you were a high stat applicant in the interview? /s

It doesnt make sense for them to interview you if they had no intention of accepting you.
What? The AWPA system is basically a ranked waitlist. I'm asking if I'm toward the bottom of it because they don't think I'll matriculate.

Does anyone know what percentage of AWPA gets accepted?

What? The AWPA system is basically a ranked waitlist. I'm asking if I'm toward the bottom of it because they don't think I'll matriculate.
I mean its possible they put you there for yield protection, but it doesn't make a ton of sense to bring you in early just to go to the bottom of AWPA.

Does anyone know if all acceptance emails sent out at once or periodically? Aka is there still hope :)

They are sent out in a few batches at once, although rarely beyond the day for the batches. I wouldn't expect anything after close of business today, 3/8.

Will we know our ranking on the AWPA list? Will they send out e-mails or can we call in to ask?
You will NOT know your ranking and they will NOT let you know your number, just that you are on the list. The AWPA list rankings are known only to admissions staff.

It could be either / or. I can't say to the specifics of yield protection, but SIU is one school that values the "extras" at the same level / higher than raw stats. Permanent residence in Illinois south of I-80 is weighed extremely heavy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what percentage of AWPA gets accepted?
It changes from year to year, and they won't share the exact percentage, but it has not been exhausted in about the last decade. Anecdotally it appears to be about the 65-75% mark, depending on how many people confirm their acceptance vs withdraw to attend another school.

would you say a majority of your classmates were accepted in one of the three formal batches? Or is there a good portion that was accepted AFTER the final March batch/during rolling admissions?

would you say a majority of your classmates were accepted in one of the three formal batches? Or is there a good portion that was accepted AFTER the final March batch/during rolling admissions?
A good portion were accepted after the batches. I have a couple close classmates who were accepted in late May / early June.

Reactions: 1 users
Got accepted via e-mail today as well :)

Perhaps send an update? (if they accept them) Stress your interest in SIU and interest in practicing medicine in southern Illinois (as long as it's genuine).

Perhaps send an update? (if they accept them) Stress your interest in SIU and interest in practicing medicine in southern Illinois (as long as it's genuine).
I was thinking about that. I think I'll draft one today!

To all of you who got accepted yesterday, congrats! It's a great school.

@ncklkrt going forward do you know if the acceptances come out as soon as someone gives up a seat? Or is it a weekly thing or after each monthly meeting?

Thanks

@ncklkrt going forward do you know if the acceptances come out as soon as someone gives up a seat? Or is it a weekly thing or after each monthly meeting?

Thanks
They are generally sent out within one or two days of a seat being given up in order of AWPA list. There's usually not much movement until the multiple acceptance deadline which is April 30:

6. After April 30, implement school-specific procedures for accepted applicants who, without adequate explanation, continue to hold one or more places at other schools or programs.

a. Each school or program should permit applicants:

1. A minimum of 5 business days to respond to an acceptance offer. This may be reduced to a minimum of 2 business days within 30 days of the start of orientation.

2. Submit a statement of intent, a deposit, or both.
As stated above on the AAMC site, when a new acceptance goes out the person has 5 business days to respond, so it can take some time given how quickly people respond to decline seats.

Keep in mind this week is Match week for us 4th years, and a lot of the admissions staff helps out with our activities, so I wouldn't expect regular admissions schedule until next week.

They are generally sent out within one or two days of a seat being given up in order of AWPA list. There's usually not much movement until the multiple acceptance deadline which is April 30:

6. After April 30, implement school-specific procedures for accepted applicants who, without adequate explanation, continue to hold one or more places at other schools or programs.

a. Each school or program should permit applicants:

1. A minimum of 5 business days to respond to an acceptance offer. This may be reduced to a minimum of 2 business days within 30 days of the start of orientation.

2. Submit a statement of intent, a deposit, or both.
As stated above on the AAMC site, when a new acceptance goes out the person has 5 business days to respond, so it can take some time given how quickly people respond to decline seats.

Keep in mind this week is Match week for us 4th years, and a lot of the admissions staff helps out with our activities, so I wouldn't expect regular admissions schedule until next week.
Thanks for your help. Good luck on Match Day!

Any accepted students know what to expect after you send in the acceptance form to the admissions office? Do you get confirmation from the office?

Does anybody know if SIU accepts letters of update? I interviewed way back in August and a lot has changed with me in that time

Any accepted students know what to expect after you send in the acceptance form to the admissions office? Do you get confirmation from the office?
You will not get direct confirmation until you get the packet of paperwork to fill out in the mail closer to orientation. You are welcome to call them any time just to confirm they received your confirmation.

Does anybody know if SIU accepts letters of update? I interviewed way back in August and a lot has changed with me in that time
They do accept letters of intent / update, but those letters do not have a significant impact on your application as placement on the AWPA list is relatively unchanged throughout the cycle.

You will not get direct confirmation until you get the packet of paperwork to fill out in the mail closer to orientation. You are welcome to call them any time just to confirm they received your confirmation.
Thanks! I e-mailed Beth and according to her, students now get an automated email when the deposit has been verified, which I did get later in the day. ✌️

All, I will be signing off as SDN liaison and handing the torch off to @UMVoyager . He is in contact with Beth from admissions and can answer your questions moving forward. I found out today I matched at my #1, here at SIU in Springfield in Pediatrics. To those of you that begin school here this fall, I will see you during your third year clerkships!

Today's Match Day PR: SIU Med Students, Residency Programs Meet Their Match | SIU School of Medicine
Class of 2018 Match List: https://www.siumed.edu/sites/default/files/u233/skm_36818031613300.pdf

I wish you all the best of luck in your future careers, whether they include SIU or elsewhere. It's been a pleasure to help out when I can. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
All, I will be signing off as SDN liaison and handing the torch off to @UMVoyager . He is in contact with Beth from admissions and can answer your questions moving forward. I found out today I matched at my #1, here at SIU in Springfield in Pediatrics. To those of you that begin school here this fall, I will see you during your third year clerkships!

Today's Match Day PR: SIU Med Students, Residency Programs Meet Their Match | SIU School of Medicine
Class of 2018 Match List: https://www.siumed.edu/sites/default/files/u233/skm_36818031613300.pdf

I wish you all the best of luck in your future careers, whether they include SIU or elsewhere. It's been a pleasure to help out when I can. Good luck!
Thank you very much for all of your help and insight throughout the process!

@ncklkrt CONGRATS ON MATCH! Can not wait to be in your shoes. And hopefully I can match up to your SDN lesion skills since you have been extremely helpful even during my cycle.

If anyone has any questions please let me know. I will do my best to answer them and communicate with Beth. If you have private questions then direct message me.

Thanks for your help! Congratulations on matching!

Congrats @ncklkrt on your match!
@UMVoyager this might be a little premature but, do you remember what your first year schedule was like? Do students get the summer off between 1st & 2nd years like some schools? Just trying to plan a wedding :)

Congrats @ncklkrt on your match!
@UMVoyager this might be a little premature but, do you remember what your first year schedule was like? Do students get the summer off between 1st & 2nd years like some schools? Just trying to plan a wedding :)

Hey no problem at all. Very relevant question for planning something very important. So orientation started on August 9th and our last day of school for the year will be on June 1st. The first year is divided into 3 units [Cardiovascular/Respiratory/Renal (CRR); Neural/Muscular/Behavioral (NMB); Endocrine/Reproduction/Gastro (ERG)]. Your weekly schedule on average will consist of tutor group (8-11 a.m. every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday), clinical skills on Tuesdays (specific scheduling will be distributed at the beginning of the unit and throughout the unit), resource sessions on Thursdays (usually 8/9 a.m. - 11 a.m./12 p.m.) with additional ones on other random days throughout the week, and then histology/anatomy labs either on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday. Depending on the unit there could be a higher volume of anatomy/histology labs. For example, NMB will be very anatomy lab heavy.

Indeed students do get the summer off between M1 and M2 year. It is an 8 week summer and people can take it completely off, do research through SIU SOM with a program called MPEE, shadow healthcare professionals through a three week program called CARE, work, or apply to other summer programs. As long as the student is not required to attend summer remediation then they can do whatever they want with those 8 weeks.

Matter of fact here is a M1 year schedule for the Class of 2022 --> http://www.siumed.edu/sites/default/files/u5301/y1annualcalendar1819.pdf

Last edited:
Did anyone else get AWPA letters in the mail from March 9th ?

Did anyone else get AWPA letters in the mail from March 9th ?
I got the AWPA letter on the 9th and the next day I got a letter saying that I was still on the AWPA list but all acceptance offers have been sent out at this time and there should be more movement on the list around 4/30.

Matter of fact here is a M1 year schedule for the Class of 2022 -->

I'm glad to see the academic calendar has finally been posted. Do you know anything about pre-orientation for this year? I heard something about something taking place in June?

UMVoyager Thank you so much. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Just declined my spot. Hopefully it opens up a seat for one of you guys. Good luck! :)

I'm glad to see the academic calendar has finally been posted. Do you know anything about pre-orientation for this year? I heard something about something taking place in June?

I do not know when the pre-orientation will be for the class of 2022 but mine was June 16th of last year. So probably mid-June. All we did for pre-orientation was fill out some paper work, try on our white coats, and had discussions about the curriculum. I think it was also a time for parents to ask questions about their kids going to medical school and scheduling. I do also remember that it was a pretty quick day and I used that weekend to look for housing and sign a lease. Maybe even use that time to find possible roommates and sign a lease with them!

Just declined my acceptance... can't believe I would ever be in this position. Good luck, I hope they pull from the AWPA soon ❤

Reactions: 2 users
Received an acceptance email early on Thursday, so there is movement on the AWPA list for declined acceptances! For those still holding out, hang in there! Certainly didn't think I would get in and was surprised to see the email!

See you all in the Fall in Carbondale!

Reactions: 5 users
Received an acceptance email early on Thursday, so there is movement on the AWPA list for declined acceptances! For those still holding out, hang in there! Certainly didn't think I would get in and was surprised to see the email!

See you all in the Fall in Carbondale!
Congratulations on the acceptance! Hopefully I will be joining you in the fall.

Congrats to those who were recently accepted! Hang in there if you're still waiting. Sorry I wasn't here to help @ncklkrt over the last month or so. I also matched my #1, and for anyone interested I feel really confident going into this summer thanks to the clinical education I got here. You all are in good hands wth @UMVoyager! Feel free to PM me with any questions, I'll still be around on here infrequently.

Reactions: 2 users
If we are fortunate enough to get accepted off the AWPA list, will they call in addition to the email or is it just an email with a deadline to accept the acceptance? I've been having issues with my email and want to make sure I don't miss the most important email of my life and miss the opportunity if it comes...

If we are fortunate enough to get accepted off the AWPA list, will they call in addition to the email or is it just an email with a deadline to accept the acceptance? I've been having issues with my email and want to make sure I don't miss the most important email of my life and miss the opportunity if it comes...
I received an email from 'SIUMED' which came from an AAMC email address. No phone call accompanied the email, but I did get a paper acceptance in the mail a few days after the email. You'll have two weeks from the date listed at the top of your acceptance letter to send back the deposit and reserve your seat. I received a confirmation email a few days after sending my check in the mail.

That's all I've gotten so far since my acceptance a week ago, but I hope that helps!

No they don't call, fix/update your email ;)

Another MS1 here if anybody has any questions. Congrats to those accepted!

Really still hoping for an acceptance here, but it sucks that acceptance off of AWPA from what I've seen is typically ~70%.. Does anyone know if we can ask for recommendations from the Admissions Committee to improve our application for next cycle if we are not admitted by the end of May-ish?

Really still hoping for an acceptance here, but it sucks that acceptance off of AWPA from what I've seen is typically ~70%.. Does anyone know if we can ask for recommendations from the Admissions Committee to improve our application for next cycle if we are not admitted by the end of May-ish?
The admissions office can usually provide some pretty specific recommendations if you were unable to get off the AWPA list this year. A friend of mine was in that same situation and they recommended he bump up his MCAT score a few points, which he did, and was accepted in the first batch the following year. But don't give up hope... quite a few people in our class got off the AWPA list in late May / early June.