2017-2018 The Commonwealth Medical College (Geisinger)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Compared to last year, it seems like people didn't hear back until November, which is even farther :/
Yeah I heard about 6-8 weeks from the interview. Mine was 9/25

Members don't see this ad.

Compared to last year, it seems like people didn't hear back until November, which is even farther :/

And the year before that people heard back in October ;) chin up. These cycles are completely unpredictable

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how we will find out if we were accepted/deferred/rejected on the 16th? Via mail, email, or portal?

Does anyone know how we will find out if we were accepted/deferred/rejected on the 16th? Via mail, email, or portal?

From last year, deferrals heard in the morning. Acceptances heard in the afternoon/early evening.Rejections were sent via snail mail. No email or phone call notification...kind of sad really

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who hasn't received an interview yet, keep your head up. I wasn't invited until after thanksgiving, interviewed in late January, and was accepted within a few days.

If anyone has any questions about the school I'd be happy to answer, though I'm only an M1.

Anyone who hasn't received an interview yet, keep your head up. I wasn't invited until after thanksgiving, interviewed in late January, and was accepted within a few days.

If anyone has any questions about the school I'd be happy to answer, though I'm only an M1.

Hey MD-2021,
I have a few questions! How do you like the curriculum so far? Do you feel as if you have ample support from teachers and students? Also where does the vast majority of students study (home vs. school)? Is Scranton safe to walk around at night, i.e. not just strolling but walking back from a midnight study session at school? Also, does it feel like you've found a good balance between the FCE program and your studies? Are you able to pick your FCE location? Lastly, when are you recommended to start thinking about research? And are you supported if you want to initiate your own (nothing big--> I'm thinking public health research with data collected from the NEPA population serving Geisinger)? Thanks and sorry for the question diarrhea :oops:

Hey MD-2021,
I have a few questions! How do you like the curriculum so far? Do you feel as if you have ample support from teachers and students? Also where does the vast majority of students study (home vs. school)? Is Scranton safe to walk around at night, i.e. not just strolling but walking back from a midnight study session at school? Also, does it feel like you've found a good balance between the FCE program and your studies? Are you able to pick your FCE location? Lastly, when are you recommended to start thinking about research? And are you supported if you want to initiate your own (nothing big--> I'm thinking public health research with data collected from the NEPA population serving Geisinger)? Thanks and sorry for the question diarrhea :oops:
1) Curriculum seems quite standard, we've only finished the first block so far (Cell biology, molec bio, and biochem). It wasn't integrated that well, but I think this block serves to get a lot of the boring stuff out of the way and prep us for the difficulty of med school. Next week we're starting Human Structure and Function so we'll start gross anatomy and other interesting topics. School is P/F, our exams are computerized.
2) Teachers are always available to answer questions, and hold Q&A sessions before the tests. I can't say I utilized them too much though, as PhD's they often tend to be more confusing than helpful :). Each student also has an M2 as a peer mentor, who they can go to for advice. The M2's in general are pretty friendly and willing to answer questions/offer tips.
3) A lot of students study in the library, others block off study rooms and study there. I usually alternate between home and the library.
4) I live pretty close to the school, that area is honestly quite safe. There's 2 hospitals right next to the school, .
5) The FCE program actually isn't very intense, we only visit our families 2-3 times per year I believe. It doesn't really conflict with studies. Also we unfortunately did not get to pick our locations.
6) I'm honestly not sure yet, but the majority of students do something in the summer after M1. I think we're due to get a presentation about research opportunities soon. From what the M2's told me, quite a few students did research at Geisinger Danville last year, but they're still working out kinks with the merger so interacting with Geisinger isn't exactly seamless at this point. We're told that the integration should be more fluid by next summer though.

1) Curriculum seems quite standard, we've only finished the first block so far (Cell biology, molec bio, and biochem). It wasn't integrated that well, but I think this block serves to get a lot of the boring stuff out of the way and prep us for the difficulty of med school. Next week we're starting Human Structure and Function so we'll start gross anatomy and other interesting topics. School is P/F, our exams are computerized.
2) Teachers are always available to answer questions, and hold Q&A sessions before the tests. I can't say I utilized them too much though, as PhD's they often tend to be more confusing than helpful :). Each student also has an M2 as a peer mentor, who they can go to for advice. The M2's in general are pretty friendly and willing to answer questions/offer tips.
3) A lot of students study in the library, others block off study rooms and study there. I usually alternate between home and the library.
4) I live pretty close to the school, that area is honestly quite safe. There's 2 hospitals right next to the school, .
5) The FCE program actually isn't very intense, we only visit our families 2-3 times per year I believe. It doesn't really conflict with studies. Also we unfortunately did not get to pick our locations.
6) I'm honestly not sure yet, but the majority of students do something in the summer after M1. I think we're due to get a presentation about research opportunities soon. From what the M2's told me, quite a few students did research at Geisinger Danville last year, but they're still working out kinks with the merger so interacting with Geisinger isn't exactly seamless at this point. We're told that the integration should be more fluid by next summer though.

Nice! Thanks for the information. That was really helpful :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed September 8th, hoping Against hope for good news!!

II today (complete 08/12)! Really excited about this program. Had a presentation here last summer and have only heard good things about its community roots.

When I looked at dates, November slots were still available.

Emails are being sent! Deferred until the next committee meeting. :shrug:

Could be worse I suppose!!

Reactions: 4 users
Emails are being sent! Deferred until the next committee meeting. :shrug:

Could be worse I suppose!!
Thank you for the update the silence has been killer! And good luck in the next round!

Accepted via email at 3:18. IS LM ~72 interview date 9/18

Reactions: 3 users
I know this whole process is a crapshoot but does anyone have any idea when people who have been deferred could potentially hear back/how often the committee meets?

Interviewed 9/11 and nothing here as well. Seems like the 2 who were accepted interviewed the same day so maybe that don't review in order... Who knows...

Hey guys! I just got my acceptance. I'm from NYC, II was on 9/18. It is my first acceptance and I could cry, I am so excited! Good luck to everyone and congrats to all. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! I just got my acceptance. I'm from NYC, II was on 9/18. It is my first acceptance and I could cry, I am so excited! Good luck to everyone and congrats to all. :)
Congrats thats awesome!!

I'm gonna dread going to my mailbox all week. I know a lot of schools send rejections via snail mail for some reason.

I'm gonna dread going to my mailbox all week. I know a lot of schools send rejections via snail mail for some reason.
Just looking at last years thread someone who interviewed 9/7 didn't receive their rejection letter (via snail mail) until the first week in November o_O

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Seemingly everyone accepted today interviewed on the same day - 9/18. Maybe a big assumption, but I wouldn't doubt if they are going to send out more acceptances and deferrals as this week goes on likely regarding previous interview dates, ie - those before 9/18.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Seemingly everyone accepted today interviewed on the same day - 9/18. Maybe a big assumption, but I wouldn't doubt if they are going to send out more acceptances and deferrals as this week goes on likely regarding previous interview dates, ie - those before 9/18.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Gotta stay positive. I've been a nervous wreck all day!

Accepted today around 3 pm! Interviewed on 9/22. Lizzy M ~ 67.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted at 8:26! Interviewed 9/8

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted at 8:15 am!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 5 users