2017-2018 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TouroCOM-NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary Prompt: On a separate word document, please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine’s Mission, Goals, or Objectives. Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic Medicine: Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing Experience?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Checking in!

Does anyone know their GPA and MCAT averages or cutoff?

Reactions: 1 user
Checking in!

Does anyone know their GPA and MCAT averages or cutoff?

^^^

Also, not going to rattle off my stats or anything, but how good of a chance does a white guy from Ohio with probably average MCAT/higher GPA, but good experiences have at this school? Just asking because their secondary has a $200 fee, which seems pretty steep. If I don't have a chance then I don't want to waste my money.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^^

Also, not going to rattle off my stats or anything, but how good of a chance does a white guy from Ohio with probably average MCAT/higher GPA, but good experiences have at this school? Just asking because their secondary has a $200 fee, which seems pretty steep. If I don't have a chance then I don't want to waste my money.
i wouldnt waste the money hear they have IS preference and prefer high MCAT tbh let alone this school was a disaster last year.... but your choice

What are your sources?
Well I know that their application proceas was a disaster last year since they offered more spots than they had available and it screwed people there's no reference I know people who were in the process they also accept a higher mcat as I know people who go there as well as people have previously posted on this website a spreadsheet of grades and mcat and their mcat was above average while their gpa was average

Well I know that their application proceas was a disaster last year since they offered more spots than they had available and it screwed people there's no reference I know people who were in the process they also accept a higher mcat as I know people who go there as well as people have previously posted on this website a spreadsheet of grades and mcat and their mcat was above average while their gpa was average

Again, misinformation runs rampant as new members parrot whatever they heard on SDN. They overaccepted students during the 2015 application cycle at the Harlem campus (which also happens at other schools as well, albeit rarely.) However, they then tried to cover it up. The associated admins who tried doing so were all fired. This past cycle ran much smoother, and Im pretty sure they (waitlisted -> then accepted) more students this past cycle so it doesn't happen again.

Not applying to a school just because "SDN said so!" may be the difference between becoming a doctor and not.

^^^

i wouldnt waste the money hear they have IS preference and prefer high MCAT tbh let alone this school was a disaster last year.... but your choice

Once again, I do not know where you got your information, but TouroNY is a relatively friendly OOS school. I have added a map of matriculants from 2014, though I doubt much has changed in three years. Half my interview group was OOS. For @Ochem 32 , give it a shot. I am also from Ohio, got accepted and really enjoyed the school. The application fee is steep, but its for the Middletown and Harlem campuses, so pretty much like applying to 2 schools.

For anyone reading, please do your research on any school youre applying to. Don't let internet strangers blindly control your future.

Attachments

• TNY.JPG
    TNY.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 211
Reactions: 1 users
Again, misinformation runs rampant as new members parrot whatever they heard on SDN. They overaccepted students during the 2015 application cycle at the Harlem campus (which also happens at other schools as well, albeit rarely.) However, they then tried to cover it up. The associated admins who tried doing so were all fired. This past cycle ran much smoother, and Im pretty sure they (waitlisted -> then accepted) more students this past cycle so it doesn't happen again.

Not applying to a school just because "SDN said so!" may be the difference between becoming a doctor and not.

Once again, I do not know where you got your information, but TouroNY is a relatively friendly OOS school. I have added a map of matriculants from 2014, though I doubt much has changed in three years. Half my interview group was OOS. For @Ochem 32 , give it a shot. I am also from Ohio, got accepted and really enjoyed the school. The application fee is steep, but its for the Middletown and Harlem campuses, so pretty much like applying to 2 schools.

For anyone reading, please do your research on any school youre applying to. Don't let internet strangers blindly control your future.
I would hardly call it blindly I know 3 people who currently go there and two who got screwed in the process last year. And yes all schools may over accept but to my knowledge there hasn't been one that bad as what happened at this school. Whether the faculty was fired or not I don't know but still wouldn't put it in my top choices. NYIT is a much safer bet

@chizledfrmstone

On a separate word document, please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine’s Mission, Goals, or Objectives. Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic Medicine: Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing Experience?

I received the secondary yesterday. The thing is, they only allow you to choose one campus location even though I applied to two. Anyone else having this same issue?

New thread, new year, my time to shine again

We just had a 15% fail rate on step 2 and 100/135 students secured an advanced residency spot (that's 75%)

Best of luck!

What are the chances here for a Canadian? the $200 is really discouraging

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on stats

I have a cGPA of 3.63 and sGPA of 3.6 and MCAT is 510. That seems to be the average/above average for most schools, but as an international I am probably expected to have higher stats, is that correct?

Last edited:
What are the chances here for a Canadian? the $200 is really discouraging
A quick glance of the facebook page shows a good amount are from Canada (Ontario, Toronto). And remember, the $200 is for two campuses, double the chances of trying to get an interview if you have the stats/desire.

A quick glance of the facebook page shows a good amount are from Canada (Ontario, Toronto). And remember, the $200 is for two campuses, double the chances of trying to get an interview if you have the stats/desire.

Thank you, that is encouraging.

Which 2 ?

I still have not received the secondary. Should I contact the admission? Do you guys know if they pre-screen?

Anyone else get a secondary? If so how did you get it? Email, text, portal, carrier pigeon?

So the TUCOM system will only let an applicant submit a secondary for one of their colleges?

Secondary Prompt: On a separate word document, please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine’s Mission, Goals, or Objectives. Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic Medicine: Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing Experience?

Is there a page limit?

Is it worth applying with 505, 3.6 GPA? (Puerto Rican = OOS). Also, OOS is 66%, so I don't understand the above comments that say they prefer IS...

Good luck to everyone applying![/QUOTE]
I was wrong, sorry. Called TUCOM-NY and found that they haven't sent secondaries yet

I have not received a secondary yet. I was verified June 30. I have already received one from Touro-CA. Is this the case for most applicants? Or do they pre-screen?

I have not received a secondary yet. I was verified June 30. I have already received one from Touro-CA. Is this the case for most applicants? Or do they pre-screen?[/QUOTE]

I think they prescreen BUT they also have not sent out their apps ;)

I have not received a secondary yet. I was verified June 30. I have already received one from Touro-CA. Is this the case for most applicants? Or do they pre-screen?

I think they prescreen BUT they also have not sent out their apps ;)[/QUOTE]
Thank you!

I'm in the same boat. I was verified 6/30 and I received a secondary for almost all school I applied except Touro. I have a 3.9 GPA and a 505 MCAT. International though, so that might be holding me back. I'm wondering what's taking them so long.

Are all of the interviews at either the Harlem or Middletown campus or are you interviewed at your preferred location?

If they do pre-screen, does anyone happen to know what the GPA/MCAT cutoffs are?

Hi! I am contemplating applying here. I have a 505 mcat and gpa 3.5 I am a NY resident, literally live in the next county over Also, I am a URM

Last edited:
Hi! I am contemplating applying here. I have a 500 mcat and gpa 3.5 I am a NY resident, literally live in the next county over Also, I am a URM
Yeah I think you should be good. Touro is big on numbers but every school wants URMs. Also you're instate.

New thread, new year, my time to shine again

We just had a 15% fail rate on step 2 and 100/135 students secured an advanced residency spot (that's 75%)

Best of luck!

I feel like this is sarcastic but i honestly can't tell over SDN :dead:

Got an email saying they are now starting to review applications.

If anyone needs any clarification on anything with TouroCOM NY- Middletown. Shoot me a msg. Current MS1.

is the secondary really $200
I'm starting to wonder if that enormous fee is just to weed out the applicants that aren't all that interested in Touro NY. If the were just trying to make a ton of money on the fees, they surely wouldn't wait this long to send out secondaries when many applicants have already spent all their money on other secondaries.

I'm starting to wonder if that enormous fee is just to weed out the applicants that aren't all that interested in Touro NY. If the were just trying to make a ton of money on the fees, they surely wouldn't wait this long to send out secondaries when many applicants have already spent all their money on other secondaries.
I had similar stats to yours. So yes, the fee is worth it.