2017-2018 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TouroCOM-NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can a current student be able to tell me if an Acer Chromebook would be compatible with Touro's exam software? I was watching a video and apparently you need Windows 8+ and certain systems to run their programs/exam software.

Members don't see this ad :)
So Monday you have no class?

You have no class on Monday until "exam blocks" start. Since you are taking 7 classes exams will appear each Monday until each class has taken their exam (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and one class has a 4th). Think there was 5 weeks of classes till exam blocks started, then we only had 2 weeks in between exam blocks 1 and 2 and 1 week in between 2 and 3.

Can a current student be able to tell me if an Acer Chromebook would be compatible with Touro's exam software? I was watching a video and apparently you need Windows 8+ and certain systems to run their programs/exam software.

No. Go to www.examsoft.com or search exemplify (program we use) to see if your system is compatible. If not you can just use an IT provided iPad (first come first serve). I'm pretty sure every med school in the US uses this system now.

Just be able to explain why osteopathic medicine and why that school. They may ask about research and volunteer stuff. Pretty typical questions. Super casual and everyone I met was super nice. Be confident and good luck!

Thanks for the information. How was the apartment hunting process in New York City? I’ve heard it’s very competitive. Any tips? I plan to start looking mid April for a July 1 move.

How much are you willing to spend and what conditions are you willing to live in? Do you want to be walking distance from the school? Do you like the area surrounding school? All questions you must answer and if you don't want to pay a brokers fee (first months, last month, brokers fee and security) it might take some time. I had a lot of options financially and it still took me about a month.

Your best bet is to find a roommate and get a big 1 bedroom and put up a gnarly flex wall. I opted to move in with my girlfriend and we live on the upper west side (no flex wall). Given last year my apartment in Boston had mice, and that I am almost 30, I have done my "broke grad student" time and was inclined to go for an upgrade. If you are younger you might enjoy being with the other med students in Harlem and accessible to events.

does anyone know the interview to acceptance rate for harlem? also is harlem harder to get into? thanks

how do they contact students for interview invites?

is it via email? or somewhere on the portal? thanks!

Does anyone know how long the interview day typically lasts? for those that interviewed recently? I am considering taking a bus at 3:05 PM but dont want to risk it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed Dec 4th heard back?
I highly doubt they'd have an answer for Dec 4th people already.

I went to Middletown yesterday (Dec 11) and they were telling us that they're far, far behind.

I highly doubt they'd have an answer for Dec 4th people already.

I went to Middletown yesterday (Dec 11) and they were telling us that they're far, far behind.
I think many schools are this year, it seems

does anyone know the interview to acceptance rate for harlem? also is harlem harder to get into? thanks

Edit: my mistake, I misread your question as just "acceptance rate." Unfortunately we don't know how many students are interviewed, but if you do get an interview your chances are pretty good. There is a lot of movement from the waitlist too (around 30% of the incoming class).
--
First year student here. We don't have an official acceptance rate, but last year approximately 7600 people applied and 110 were accepted. Of the 110, 30 were Touro Harlem Master's students who were fast-tracked in after ranking in the top third of their class. An additional 20 students were carried over from the previous year since they over enrolled. Assuming your entering class is 120 without too many deferments you're looking at a rate of about 1.1%.

I can't say for sure if it's easier to get into Middletown, but from what I hear, there's more interest in the Harlem campus so that may affect the total applicant pool.

By the way, I'm also a student ambassador and may meet some of you on interview day. Send me a message if you're set to interview and have any questions in advance. Good luck!

Last edited:
II invite just now for Middletown, however I have strong preference for the Harlem campus. The email said it’s an interview to be considered for TouroCOM
Middletown class of 2022.

Does anybody know if it’s possible to change locations for interviews and tentative acceptances? Thanks in advance.

Did you get your question answered? We have one student who interviewed at Middletown and ended up coming to Harlem because a spot opened up last minute, so while possible, it's definitely not the norm. Make your intentions known to the dean of admissions and approach the topic very respectfully. If you need further assistance, let me know.

Did you get your question answered? We have one student who interviewed at Middletown and ended up coming to Harlem because a spot opened up last minute, so while possible, it's definitely not the norm. Make your intentions known to the dean of admissions and approach the topic very respectfully. If you need further assistance, let me know.

Yes I did, thank you! I talked to admissions and had to change my campus preference to Harlem only. Unfortunately, I wasn’t immediately offered an II to the Harlem campus, but fingers crossed!

Waitlisted at Middletown yesterday. Interview 11/6.

510, 3.1s, 3.3c.

Dissapointing for sure, but I have a feeling my science GPA is not inspiring confidence. Luckily I have been getting post-bacc As all semester and I'm registered for more this spring. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Good luck all!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted to Harlem today! Interview 11/29

Reactions: 3 users
does this school do silent rejections? I've been complete for 3 months.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone talk more about the wait list? I was just waitlisted at Middletown.

Interviewed 11/6.
500 mcat. 3.4 sgpa. 3.55 cgpa.

Is there movement off of the waitlist before may? I am going to send in my grades when I get them in which will be straight A's. I am in my last year of undergrad. Are you able to ask to see where on the waitlist you are? Does anyone have advice on how to bolster my chances like a letter of interest or something of that nature? Thanks! Good luck to everyone else

Waiting patiently. Just interviewed 4 days ago on 12/11. Met a lot of really cool people, can't wait to hear back.

Best of luck to everyone. I just scored 0.42 shy of an A- in Genetics +pity+

Last edited:
does anyone know if middletown rejects by email or regular mail?

Completed 09/06, II given on 10/10, Interviewed 11/15 for Harlem, acceptance offer given on 11/22 - will not be putting in the $2,000 deposit that's due 12/8 down even though this is my only acceptance thus far. INCREDIBLY grateful for their admissions offer, but 2k is just wayyyyy too much for me to gamble for now. Good luck to everyone else!

Called today to give up my acceptance offer at the Harlem campus. Good luck to everyone else!

I interviewed on 11/06 and received an email that said I was waitlisted. I have been accepted to another school, so I am not upset about this waitlist. I also wanted to say that the school is nice, staff seems cool, but after haven been to different interviews Touro has been my least favorite school. Middletown is low key depressing, and my interviewers grueled on the most obscure things. Also the admissions director had to make a small announcement about the schools reputation on SDN before his speech (which is kind of sad if a school has to do that). Again don't mean to sound like im hating but this school did not rub me the right way.

Can anyone talk more about the wait list? I was just waitlisted at Middletown.

Interviewed 11/6.
500 mcat. 3.4 sgpa. 3.55 cgpa.

Is there movement off of the waitlist before may? I am going to send in my grades when I get them in which will be straight A's. I am in my last year of undergrad. Are you able to ask to see where on the waitlist you are? Does anyone have advice on how to bolster my chances like a letter of interest or something of that nature? Thanks! Good luck to everyone else

My understanding is there is no waitlist movement until May. I interviewed last year in March and was taken off the waitlist the Friday before Memorial Day weekend; looks like you will have to wait longer. I would recommend sending an update letter with a statement of intent (if you find this school to be your first choice) with your updated grades and some jazz about the volunteering you intend to do. TBH its probably not your grades holding you back it's your MCAT. At least in this first year class you'll find similar GPAs, but MCATs that range from 508-517. I would see if you can put a plan together to take it again.

I interviewed on 11/06 and received an email that said I was waitlisted. I have been accepted to another school, so I am not upset about this waitlist. I also wanted to say that the school is nice, staff seems cool, but after haven been to different interviews Touro has been my least favorite school. Middletown is low key depressing, and my interviewers grueled on the most obscure things. Also the admissions director had to make a small announcement about the schools reputation on SDN before his speech (which is kind of sad if a school has to do that). Again don't mean to sound like im hating but this school did not rub me the right way.

Middletown is where dreams go to die. Harlem is where boys go to become men.

Reactions: 3 users
congrats on your acceptances! when did you hear back from touro?

just heard back from middletown :)
-accepted

Middletown is where dreams go to die. Harlem is where boys go to become men.

Doesn’t Harlem campus have poor rotation sites, multiple professors quitting and low board scores? Lol