2017-2018 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TouroCOM-NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait, you interviewed on 12/4 and heard back with a rejection?
correct. a friend of mine interviewed on monday and he was told they were still deciding on applicants from that interview date. They made a decision on my application, obviously.

Members don't see this ad.

Bummer! With all your clinical experience I thought you were in for sure! Keep the faith, you’ll get in somehwere.
I think my courses are too out of date. They wanna know you can do the work. Might have to repeat some of the basic sciences...we will see. I think this is the rub.

I think my courses are too out of date. They wanna know you can do the work. Might have to repeat some of the basic sciences...we will see. I think this is the rub.
Maybe call and ask them if that was the reason? Besides, maybe other schools won't care. It's tedious, but maybe calling the schools you applied to and verifying if they believe your courses are out of date would be beneficial. That way, you don't have to repeat :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
correct. a friend of mine interviewed on monday and he was told they were still deciding on applicants from that interview date. They made a decision on my application, obviously.
And rejections suck, but have no fear! You clearly weren't meant to go to their school, which means there are even better options out there for you :)

Accepted....

Going to give up my seat. The curriculum does sound good. But I got weird vibes from the faculty and facilities are a big factor for me and I'm not a fan of going to school/living in the basement of a renovated hospital.

Accepted....

Going to give up my seat. The curriculum does sound good. But I got weird vibes from the faculty and facilities are a big factor for me and I'm not a fan of going to school/living in the basement of a renovated hospital.
Care to elaborate on 'weird vibes'?:unsure:

And rejections suck, but have no fear! You clearly weren't meant to go to their school, which means there are even better options out there for you :)
You guys make me smile

How old are we talking about?

So my stats:

Undergrad biology, completed in 2.5 yrs in 2002: 3.2s and cGPA (working full time)
Masters PA, completed in 2 yrs in 2004: 3.6 GPA (not working, hence better gpa)
MCAT: 503 Aug 2017 (took one practice exam prior to test....studied for 4 months. Didn't have time to take more practice exams prior to deadline..

So, I'm thinking they think I'll struggle first 2 yrs of school despite my "ok" MCAT 14 yrs out of basic sciences. + no current research.

I welcome suggestions...

So my stats:

Undergrad biology, completed in 2.5 yrs in 2002: 3.2s and cGPA (working full time)
MCAT: 503 Aug 2017 (took one practice exam prior to test....studied for 4 months. Didn't have time to take more practice exams prior to deadline..

So, I'm thinking they think I'll struggle first 2 yrs of school despite my "ok" MCAT 14 yrs out of basic sciences. + no current research.

I welcome suggestions...
Ok, first of all:

Do MCAT scores predict USMLE scores? An analysis on 5 years of medical student data

I realize this is a USMLE and not a COMLEX study, however, it is still a board exam. This study shows that although there is an association between MCAT scores and board scores, it is a WEAK to MODERATE association. There are other studies I have seen with COMLEX, but there are many other variables aside from the MCAT, which is why I didn't post them here.

Secondly, you took classes 13-15 years ago and STILL scored 503?! AMAZING!!

Thirdly and lastly, yes, I understand that it has been a while since you have taken those classes. I think that retaking them and kicking sweet booty in them would definitely show that you are a rockstar. However, this is MY opinion ONLY. (other people's opinions do not have to become your reality!!!)

It's up to you to decide what to do next :) Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat more :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Care to elaborate on 'weird vibes'?:unsure:

They were't very welcoming or too enthusiastic about the school. Maybe that was their poker face but 70% of my not-so-fuzzy-feelings are from the facilities and those community-dorm-style showers.

So my stats:

I welcome suggestions...
Hmm. I mean I guess they are old but you have masters and your working experience should help them see, granted that was also 14 years ago, that you will do just fine *Maturity counts a lot*. I think you should definitely contact them and get feedback. They might provide you with constructive feedback at least and then you can decide what's best for you. Also, did you interview any where else?

Members don't see this ad :)
They were't very welcoming or too enthusiastic about the school. Maybe that was their poker face but 70% of my not-so-fuzzy-feelings are from the facilities and those community-dorm-style showers.
Are you talking about your interviewers in particular or everyone you met? Just curious :D

Are you talking about your interviewers in particular or everyone you met? Just curious :D
Interviewers. We didn't really interact with the students other than our student guides. I think they had a test that day.

Are there people from 12/4 that still haven't heard back? (don't want to be the only one)

Ok, first of all:

Do MCAT scores predict USMLE scores? An analysis on 5 years of medical student data

I realize this is a USMLE and not a COMLEX study, however, it is still a board exam. This study shows that although there is an association between MCAT scores and board scores, it is a WEAK to MODERATE association. There are other studies I have seen with COMLEX, but there are many other variables aside from the MCAT, which is why I didn't post them here.

Secondly, you took classes 13-15 years ago and STILL scored 503?! AMAZING!!

Thirdly and lastly, yes, I understand that it has been a while since you have taken those classes. I think that retaking them and kicking sweet booty in them would definitely show that you are a rockstar. However, this is MY opinion ONLY. (other people's opinions do not have to become your reality!!!)

It's up to you to decide what to do next :) Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat more :)
Thx. I think MCAT is half knowledge and half testing strategy. I spent 4 months on content and 1 wk on practice exams...not good testing strategy. On other board exams, I knew material, so I took plenty practice exams, which is why I did well on my PA boards...

Interviewers. We didn't really interact with the students other than our student guides. I think they had a test that day.
I think this may also been a factor why I didn't get in. My interviewer had the flu and wasn't really excited to be there. Every time I tried to lighten the mood to make it more conversational so they could get to know me, the more impatient she got...I don't think we meshed. We didnt get to interact with the students either, other than the guide.

Hmm. I mean I guess they are old but you have masters and your working experience should help them see, granted that was also 14 years ago, that you will do just fine *Maturity counts a lot*. I think you should definitely contact them and get feedback. They might provide you with constructive feedback at least and then you can decide what's best for you. Also, did you interview any where else?
I interview ACOM March

Has anyone from the Jan 10 interview hear anything yet?

I think this may also been a factor why I didn't get in. My interviewer had the flu and wasn't really excited to be there. Every time I tried to lighten the mood to make it more conversational so they could get to know me, the more impatient she got...I don't think we meshed. We didnt get to interact with the students either, other than the guide.

Same. I didn't think my interview went well. And ACOM is a better school. Good luck!

I heard that the interviewers are told to play the good cop bad cop. I had a little of that

Is it usual for a school you decline an offer from to ask you what school you picked over them?

I heard that the interviewers are told to play the good cop bad cop. I had a little of that
That's what I heard but that didn't happen to me at all. One prospective student had my interviewer pair and told me it went good cop bad cop right before I walked in.

I wonder if that's a sign of something.

Pretty interesting dilemma..was accepted to Middletown early on in the cycle and now got an II for NSU-COM next week. I just have to say that it is almost comforting that Middletown has its reputation as a new school and that leeway is given to any "growing troubles." Meanwhile I look and see a terrifying forum regarding NSU-COM's decreasing COMLEX I scores, and I get catapulted into a confusion vortex where I ask myself how such an established school can encounter such troubling times (conveniently at a time when I am applying). This sentiment, in addition to worries about the decent possibility of missing more class time for interviews and potentially falling into a cycle of putting down large acceptance deposits, feels ALMOST as bad as the Patriots being in another freaking Super Bowl.

Anyone know any more info about the 12/4 interview decisions?

I want to reiterate, that you DO NOT have to live in the dorms. I would say about 70% of the students live off campus for first year, nearly all move off second year. Its unfortunate that people are using the dorms as a reason to not attend. Of course, use your best judgement in selecting a school, but optional living in dorms should not be a factor.

I want to reiterate, that you DO NOT have to live in the dorms. I would say about 70% of the students live off campus for first year, nearly all move off second year. Its unfortunate that people are using the dorms as a reason to not attend. Of course, use your best judgement in selecting a school, but optional living in dorms should not be a factor.

I actually liked the dorms. I think it's very convenient and saves a lot of time, which is super important for me in medical school. I also think it'd be a good way to make friends and feel like you're a part of a community (especially in the first year).

I was impressed by Middletown actually. I have interviewed at a few other schools (KCU, MSUCOM), and I think that Middletown went above and beyond to make the interviewees feel valued. The day was very organized as well. My interviewers were "good cop/bad cop" as well, even though at times they both seemed to be bad cops haha, but in the end I felt like they challenged me and were very intelligent (and smart faculty is something I value in med schools haha). The virtual anatomy lab was also super cool!

My only hesitation about coming to Middletown is that it doesn't have a track record. When the match list comes out, it'd be nice to see where students matched!

Rejected. Only thing I can think of is my course work was too old. 1st thing my interviewer brought up. I thought they were ok with it once they granted me an interview...I wish you all the best!!
Consider doing the masters program if you want to go to Touro. You’d be a good candidate.

Does anyone know the vaccine/titer requirements for TouroCOM Middletown? Thanks!

Does anyone know the vaccine/titer requirements for TouroCOM Middletown? Thanks!
you are required to have all three titers MMR/ varicella + and tdap vaccine. hep c/polio is optional. meningitis is optional but you have to check off that you are aware of it etc.. if your titers are not positive you will need to get vaccine for whatever you are - for or if low then you will get booster for that. You need to attach lab reports along with the forms that were sent by touro.

II for Harlem today scheduled for 3/28. Initially was offered an II for Middletown on 12/5, but changed campus preference to Harlem only.

To those who've interviewed @ Harlem, can you PM me any interview advice for Harlem! I'd appreciate it.

Is 3/21 late for an interview? If not, any tips about what to expect?

Welp, weekend is here. Another 2 days of silence... another 2 days of bitter patience... another 2 days of flavorless meals... another 2 days of gut wrenching anticipation... LOL

Welp, weekend is here. Another 2 days of silence... another 2 days of bitter patience... another 2 days of flavorless meals... another 2 days of gut wrenching anticipation... LOL
Super odd. Guess that means 12/11 isn't hearing for maybe another two weeks...

Really? That’s so annoying. Is there a portal where we can double check Incase we missed the email or what not? They don’t return calls either

please kill me. I interviewed at another school on 1/25 which I will probably hear back from before I even hear back from Touro lmao

please kill me. I interviewed at another school on 1/25 which I will probably hear back from before I even hear back from Touro lmao
We've waited like 7-8 weeks...we can wait a little more... :bang:

II today for Harlem Campus! Available dates are in late March.
I was just in NY last week and would have to fly there again from the West Coast :(
Can anyone share their experience with the interview on Harlem campus? (ex. the schedule, number of interviews, breakfast/lunch, transportation, hotel, stress level, and etc.
Thank you so much!

anyone who has interviewed at middletown give their experience how the interviews are ? I have one this week and im really nervous about it.

anyone who has interviewed at middletown give their experience how the interviews are ? I have one this week and im really nervous about it.
The entire day is pretty relaxed. The staff over there are super friendly and seem really open to conversation/feedback.

As for interviews, you're assigned two people. Both interviewers are staff, both specializing in a certain specialty or field in the school. When you receive your packet, you'll know who you're being interviewed by and from what fields they are from. Interviews are about 30 minutes long, with you sitting down in front of both interviewers at the same time. A 2-on-1 interview.

And while it wasn't the case for me, the interview is supposedly good cop/bad cop styled. Practice your responses and mostly just be yourself :)

The entire day is pretty relaxed. The staff over there are super friendly and seem really open to conversation/feedback.

As for interviews, you're assigned two people. Both interviewers are staff, both specializing in a certain specialty or field in the school. When you receive your packet, you'll know who you're being interviewed by and from what fields they are from. Interviews are about 30 minutes long, with you sitting down in front of both interviewers at the same time. A 2-on-1 interview.

And while it wasn't the case for me, the interview is supposedly good cop/bad cop styled. Practice your responses and mostly just be yourself :)

Thank you and so do they just ask traditional interview questions plus a few stuff about your app?

Thank you and so do they just ask traditional interview questions plus a few stuff about your app?
Open file, so they will ask about your app.

Not sure if it was traditional..I got a bunch of questions I was not quite prepared to answer. But there's the usual "why DO", etc.

Open file, so they will ask about your app.

Not sure if it was traditional..I got a bunch of questions I was not quite prepared to answer. But there's the usual "why DO", etc.

thank you!!

I actually liked the dorms. I think it's very convenient and saves a lot of time, which is super important for me in medical school. I also think it'd be a good way to make friends and feel like you're a part of a community (especially in the first year).

I was impressed by Middletown actually. I have interviewed at a few other schools (KCU, MSUCOM), and I think that Middletown went above and beyond to make the interviewees feel valued. The day was very organized as well. My interviewers were "good cop/bad cop" as well, even though at times they both seemed to be bad cops haha, but in the end I felt like they challenged me and were very intelligent (and smart faculty is something I value in med schools haha). The virtual anatomy lab was also super cool!

My only hesitation about coming to Middletown is that it doesn't have a track record. When the match list comes out, it'd be nice to see where students matched!
When does the match list come out ?