2017-2018 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TouroCOM-NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is it too late to submit a secondary?

Just got accepted to Harlem! Interviewed Jan 22. Because I need to respond in two weeks though I'll probably be declining (2k USD is a big deposit for me). I hope one of you who really wants it will get it instead!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted! Interviewed Jan 22. Because I need to respond in two weeks though I'll probably be declining (2k USD is a big deposit for me). I hope one of you who really wants it will get it instead!
Congrats! Where did you interview? Harlem? Middletown?

How long does middletown usually take to get back to you after an interview?

Waitlisted! Oh how my hear aches! I feel so empty and heavy at the same time! This school is honestly my one and only. My fingers are trembling as I am writing this. Ah! But there is hope still. It will feel as though a lifetime has passed until I hear back the definitive news. But I will patiently wait. Fate might be on my side still!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got accepted! Interviewed Jan 22. Because I need to respond in two weeks though I'll probably be declining (2k USD is a big deposit for me). I hope one of you who really wants it will get it ins
Waitlisted! Oh how my hear aches! I feel so empty and heavy at the same time! This school is honestly my one and only. My fingers are trembling as I am writing this. Ah! But there is hope still. It will feel as though a lifetime has passed until I hear back the definitive news. But I will patiently wait. Fate might be on my side still!
aww man I'm sorry to hear that, when did you interview, was it at Harlem?

:(
Yes Harlem. It was on 1/22.
Dang I'm still waiting for a response from Jan 10 at Harlem, I have an acceptance deposit for a different school coming up, hope to hear from here soon

I believe there will be a lot of waitlist movement for this school. Hang in there!

Reactions: 2 users
Dang I'm still waiting for a response from Jan 10 at Harlem, I have an acceptance deposit for a different school coming up, hope to hear from here soon

Good luck to you as well!

I believe there will be a lot of waitlist movement for this school. Hang in there!

Yes, that is the only silver lining that is keeping me from tearing out the remaining wisps of hair from my bald head.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, that is the only silver lining that is keeping me from tearing out the remaining wisps of hair from my bald head.
Yeah! Definitely, don't lose hope, there is still time

At least you're getting some movement revolving around your admission. Middletown still hasn't reached back yet... Being up in the air for close to two months now is so agonizing. I need to know already, I would LOVE to attend here, but my love for a school is nothing without the acceptance of the school.

Just got accepted! Interviewed Jan 22. Because I need to respond in two weeks though I'll probably be declining (2k USD is a big deposit for me). I hope one of you who really wants it will get it instead!
VanCanucks: Please accet this offer. Did you not work really hard to get accepted? do not waste this opportunity for $2K. There are so many others that would love to be in your place.
By the way are you Canadian?

Reactions: 1 user
VanCanucks: Please accet this offer. Did you not work really hard to get accepted? do not waste this opportunity for $2K. There are so many others that would love to be in your place.
By the way are you Canadian?

I would be more than happy to attend here but I was accepted at another school that I'm also paying deposits for and am probably choosing that school over this one. And yep I'm Canadian

I would be more than happy to attend here but I was accepted at another school that I'm also paying deposits for and am probably choosing that school over this one. And yep I'm Canadian
If you already have another acceptance then congratulations.
I am Canadian too but will be going to a dental school in US , I am atternding Texas university on a scholarship for 4 years now and love it here , what I do not like is the cost of my future dental school.:(

At least you're getting some movement revolving around your admission. Middletown still hasn't reached back yet... Being up in the air for close to two months now is so agonizing. I need to know already, I would LOVE to attend here, but my love for a school is nothing without the acceptance of the school.

12/4 or 12/11?
I'm 12/11 and I have to wait probably a week after the 12/4 peeps hear back...and they still haven't all gotten their responses yet.

Accepted!!! interviewed Jan 22 at the Harlem Campus :)

I've heard the harlem campus has been having accreditation issues, is there anyone that knows more about why or what's going on? Any current med students?

yep, 12/11. I think the administration is trying to fit in as many interviews before they send out decisions to try to narrow it down to the “best”. Kind of defeating the rolling admissions system
you're projecting a lot of intentionality onto the admins! I think they're just strapped for time.

Accepted!!! interviewed Jan 22 at the Harlem Campus :)

I've heard the harlem campus has been having accreditation issues, is there anyone that knows more about why or what's going on? Any current med students?

Never heard of this, can any one confirm?

Have not received an interview, does Touro do silent rejection? has anyone been rejected pre-interview?

I'm... Actually a little devastated. 12/11 interview, just woke up to a rejection email. Good luck to everyone else.

I'm... Actually a little devastated. 12/11 interview, just woke up to a rejection email. Good luck to everyone else.
I'm sorry to hear :(. How did you think your interview went?

Waitlisted today. Interviewed 12/11. Luckily I already got into Touro California

Still silence from 12/4 :sleep: middletown

Last edited:
Any clue when 1/8 Middletown should be hearing back?

I'm sorry to hear :(. How did you think your interview went?
Not great. I messed up many of the answers and the interview didn't go as smoothly as I'd hoped. Good practice for my next one, I hope.

HELLOOO I am a current upper class student at touro middletown. I was browsing this thread because it's been pretty quiet at the hospital tonight and I wanted to see what rumors people are spreading about touro;). I saw that a couple of you have been desperately looking for insight from current students.

1) Clinical sites:
I can't speak about harlem, but the clinical sites at middletown are pretty amazing. We have a close affiliation with ORMC, which has 6 residency programs: family, internal, emergency, surgery, psych, and a TRI program (transitional intern year). EM and psych have already successfully gotten ACGME accreditation, and the rest are likely to follow by the end of this or next year. Early access to residents and program directors is really helpful because it trains you to perform on your 4th year audition rotations, it's a lot easier and quicker to get letters of rec from program directors, and you can be involved in research with residents as early as your 1st year since the hospital is just a minutes away. Other hospitals with a good amount of acute pathology include St. Lukes in Newburgh, Nyack hospital, and St. Joseph's in Syracuse. If you're looking for more outpatient oriented rural sites, options include Horizon Medical Group with offices throughout orange county and neighboring counties. There is a lottery system where students rank the sites that they want, and in general, most people get the sites that they want.

2) Flipped classroom:
Not all classes at touro are created equally. For the better lecturers, I watched all of their videos. For others, I studied off the powerpoint. On-campus clicker sessions test the material in the pre-assigned videos. Unless they changed this recently, attendance accounts for 10% of your final grade in each class, and your attendance grade is determined by your clicker grade score. Grades for most classes are curved up. If you attend zero clicker sessions, you could still potentially score higher than a 90%. People like to complain about having to attend clicker sessions, but it's really not that bad. I would estimate that you'd be in class/labs for 20 hours per week.

3) Middletown area:
Middletown was not my first choice, but I was so glad to end up here. The faculty are amazing, they go above and beyond with extra curricular groups, and they are always accessible during office hours. The town isn't anything fancy, but it's been improving gradually every year. There are now 2 breweries in town, there is a mall with a round 1 arcade and new cinema. Also, you are only 45 minutes away from New Paltz, 45 minutes away from Poughkeepsie, about 2-3 hours away from the Adirondacks, and about 2 hours away from NYC. Some of the best outdoor attractions on this side of the US are a short drive away. If Middletown isn't for you, you could move to Goshen, a very cute nearby town with lots of restaurants just 10-15 minutes away.

4) General cons about touro: Yes, it's pretty expensive, but still on par with most DO schools. Sometimes administration is a little dis-organized. We had a full year where there was no dining hall because of a fall out between the school and the dining services company owner. If classes are rescheduled due to weather, technical difficulties, etc., there is no regard for any pre-existing commitments you may have made. Yes, while the old hospital is quite large, only a portion of the old hospital is occupied by touro. There are plans to start clinics in the rest of the old hospital, but this has been put on hold for whatever reason, unrelated to the school. The dorm rooms were old patient rooms, but they have been completely renovated so I wouldn't say that it's disturbing or gross or whatever to live in those rooms. If you pay a little extra, you could get a slightly larger room with a double bed and they are quite nice. It is not required to live in the dorms ever.

Feel free to reply or PM me if you still have any questions.

Reactions: 10 users
thanks for taking the time to share! much appreciated.

any of the accepted students--> have you been registered for the classes yet? have you received financial aid packet? Any response from the school since the 1st deposit confirmation email?

Thanks

any of the accepted students--> have you been registered for the classes yet? have you received financial aid packet? Any response from the school since the 1st deposit confirmation email?

Thanks
Have not registered yet. Pretty sure we do that sometime in April and it’s at that point they will give you financial aid package. The only contact I’ve had since confirmation of payment is from registrar regarding health forms info which we need to have in before we register.

Interview coming up at Harlem on Monday. Can someone who's had an interview there/has been accepted/is a current student please dm me with tips/advise? thank you!!

II today for Harlem Campus! Available dates are in late March.
I was just in NY last week and would have to fly there again from the West Coast :(
Can anyone share their experience with the interview on Harlem campus? (ex. the schedule, number of interviews, breakfast/lunch, transportation, hotel, stress level, and etc.
Thank you so much!
PM me.

Accepted!! Interviewed 01/17

Anybody know if there is a FB group?

Can anyone explain why Touro NY places students in more specific specialties as compared to Touro CA? I have been accepted into Touro CA, but have noticed that most students end up in family care, which is not something I’m particularly interested in. I am waitlisted at Middletown

Can anyone explain why Touro NY places students in more specific specialties as compared to Touro CA? I have been accepted into Touro CA, but have noticed that most students end up in family care, which is not something I’m particularly interested in. I am waitlisted at Middletown
Im not an expert in this, but when looking at their charts for middletown residencies, for 2017 34/123 matched in primary care at HPSA and 39/123 matched in a residency in MUAs thats approx 30% each. I assume the other 40% were outside primary care or primary care in non-MUAs (urban), etc. Are you waitlisted post-II for Middletown? I just got a II at middletown and havent heard back from CA yet.

Im not an expert in this, but when looking at their charts for middletown residencies, for 2017 34/123 matched in primary care at HPSA and 39/123 matched in a residency in MUAs thats approx 30% each. I assume the other 40% were outside primary care or primary care in non-MUAs (urban), etc. Are you waitlisted post-II for Middletown? I just got a II at middletown and havent heard back from CA yet.
Yes I am waitlisted post interview at Middletown. I have been accepted at Touro CA

Middletown residency? I thought the first class hasn’t graduated yet.

12/11 Middletown Waitlisted. I feel like the waitlist spots are a pretty healthy position to be in – thoughts? Ideas?