2017-2018 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TouroCOM-NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted. Interviewed on 01/08 at Middletown.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else hear back that interviewed on 1/22?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If youre waitlisted don't fret! They waitlist a lot of students first before accepting them. Until you get rejected don't give up hope.

Reactions: 2 users
On Facebook Search 2022 DO Middletown

Reactions: 1 users
When does waitlist movement typically begin for Touro??

Reactions: 1 user
I would assume around May 15, if not earlier based on traffic day rule, since that's when the second deposit is due.

Members don't see this ad :)
last year it appears that waitlist movement began May 22 or thereabouts, according to the 2016-17 thread participants anyway.

Does anyone know if the Harlem campus is ok with us bringing luggage? I have to go to the airport right after the interview.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

TOURO has computer fee listed under tuition: Does any one know that whether they give away computers to the incoming class, of course not for free:D? If yes, What kind? Thanks

TOURO has computer fee listed under tuition: Does any one know that whether they give away computers to the incoming class, of course not for free:D? If yes, What kind? Thanks

No that's just to use the computers in the library/journal access.

You enter Touro the same way you entered this world - alone and naked.

I interviewed last year on March 27th and was waitlisted April 6th at 9:28am. I came off the waitlist May 26th at 10:50am.

Harlem campus

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if the Harlem campus is ok with us bringing luggage? I have to go to the airport right after the interview.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

You will be fingerprinted and strip searched before entering the main building. After this security will go through your belongings TSA style. If you have no contraband or any anti-osteopathic literature then you will be allowed to proceed. You luggage will be stored in a 8 and 1/2 by 12inch locker that can only be opened with a key given to you and a key from security turned counterclockwise at the same time.

Good luck.

Reactions: 5 users
Positives: location. location. location.

No changes were made. These are all cheap points they throw at you during the admissions cycle. We only have 1 hospital in NYC that we rotate at. All of our rotations are in tertiary care centers in NJ. The school does nothing to help us with clinical education. Some of us have families in NYC but the school expects us to just move and go to a new state. We are losing clinical sites every year and not gaining anything new. By the time you all are in OMS-III, we will also lose sites to the new Seton Hill Med School.
Also, the school gives you zero help/resources for boards. Less than half my class is planning on taking Step 1 because none of us feel prepared or feel like the school is giving us adequate time to prepare.

You sound like you deserve no help and that your mother dropped you on your infra-temporal fossa as a child. There's an MS-4 this year who is matching to top 5 psychiatry residencies in the country (yes MD). That includes interviews at Harvard, Yale, Bellevue, Hopkins. When I spoke to him he said he had no complaints about the school and just worked really hard. I'm sure you have every excuse in the world though as to why you score poorly.

Cheers

No that's just to use the computers in the library/journal access.

You enter Touro the same way you entered this world - alone and naked.
Aw man!! :ninja:

Thanks for the reply :)

Hi everyone

I am interviewing at Harlem this week and I am crazy nervous.
I really really really want to go to school here.

I have been creeping on these pages for awhile now but just got an interview recently!
Can anyone who has interviewed give me a run down of how the actual interview goes at Harlem?

I know I am interviewing with two faculty members but can someone give me an idea of the kinds of things asked etc.

I am just so nervous and really want to do well

Gracias

Hi everyone

I am interviewing at Harlem this week and I am crazy nervous.
I really really really want to go to school here.

I have been creeping on these pages for awhile now but just got an interview recently!
Can anyone who has interviewed give me a run down of how the actual interview goes at Harlem?

I know I am interviewing with two faculty members but can someone give me an idea of the kinds of things asked etc.

I am just so nervous and really want to do well

Gracias
Feel free to pm me with any questions- it’s super chill- you eat breakfast and some admissions officers tell you a little bit about the school. They take students upstairs after that and you have an approx 30 min interview. They asked me why Medicine tell me about yourself any experience with omm research

Do you have questions for us?
Then it ends with a tour of the building by students!

It’s a fun day and everyone is super friendly !

Relax be yourself and you’ll do great

You sound like you deserve no help and that your mother dropped you on your infra-temporal fossa as a child. There's an MS-4 this year who is matching to top 5 psychiatry residencies in the country (yes MD). That includes interviews at Harvard, Yale, Bellevue, Hopkins. When I spoke to him he said he had no complaints about the school and just worked really hard. I'm sure you have every excuse in the world though as to why you score poorly.

Cheers

LOLOLOLOLOL
Firstly, the match hasn't happened yet so I don't know how you know a "friend" who is matching into a top 5 psych program. And, even if he is, congrats to him.
Secondly, who said I "score poorly?" I actually have registered for Step 1, against the recommendations of our administration.
Look, I'm not here to argue with you or anyone else. I'm just here to tell prospective students that, should they have other options, they should consider them before Touro. I'm here to warn students that if they think they are going to attend medical school in NYC for four years they are 100% wrong as the school sends students all over New Jersey and the chance to stay near the school during years 3 and 4 is slim to none. And, most importantly, the administration at the school will be a constant hurdle and stumbling block to your success during your time here.

LOLOLOLOLOL
Firstly, the match hasn't happened yet so I don't know how you know a "friend" who is matching into a top 5 psych program. And, even if he is, congrats to him.
Secondly, who said I "score poorly?" I actually have registered for Step 1, against the recommendations of our administration.
Look, I'm not here to argue with you or anyone else. I'm just here to tell prospective students that, should they have other options, they should consider them before Touro. I'm here to warn students that if they think they are going to attend medical school in NYC for four years they are 100% wrong as the school sends students all over New Jersey and the chance to stay near the school during years 3 and 4 is slim to none. And, most importantly, the administration at the school will be a constant hurdle and stumbling block to your success during your time here.

A poorly worded statement on my part; he obviously hasn't matched yet, but the only choices on his match are top 5 MD psych programs which he interviewed at. He's a pretty famous 4th year so Im sure you've heard of him. I was stating his opinion because he has had success and no complaints about the school. So, what is the difference then between your experience and his:

Winners find a way to win
Losers make excuses about minutia

You won't be in Manhattan for your rotations, and guess what if you went to Tufts Medical School you wouldn't get to rotate in Boston at Mass General, you get shipped all around the state as well. Seems as though this "Touro" problem is a more broad med school problem unless you are a top school.

If you wanted the red carpet treatment then you should have studied harder and gotten into NYU. But alas life happens and we are at Touro. The question then becomes does Touro give one an adequate medical education. The answer I've seen is yes and while this poster has had bad experiences with rotations and administration there are those of us, like myself, who have had amazing experiences with the administration.

I think if anyone really believes Touro is so bad then why not choose to go to St. George's?

Reactions: 9 users
LOLOLOLOLOL

Touro provides a decent education to get you to where you want to be..a doctor. You need to put in the work killing the boards and collecting those LORs on clerkships. That is all on you.

Listen medical school is hard anywhere you go and no school wants to see you to fail. It reflects poorly on the school itself and prestige.

I usually to see a trend, entitled and disrespectful med students get the short end of the stick. My friend, get off of SDN, and focus on being a good doctor.

Reactions: 6 users
Folks
This thread went silent all of a sudden
Could any of the seniors post something positive to uplift our spirits
Those of us waiting for a interview response

Any movement on that
Interviewed feb no word yet

Forgot to post, accepted yesterday afternoon! Interviewed 1/22

also current student and I agree 100% with this poster. This school is an absolute joke.

So take this as a warning to you future students. This place is garbage. The touro parent company does a lot of funny business with money. Our level 2 comlex scores are still some of the worst in the nation.

Go else where if you have the chance. My cohort constantly makes jokes about how crappy the building and education is. Go a head try to join the upperclassmen fb pages. Ask them

So take this as a warning to you future students. This place is garbage. The touro parent company does a lot of funny business with money. Our level 2 comlex scores are still some of the worst in the nation.

Wow thanks bro that's some deep analysis.

still waiting from interview on 1/29.. how long do they usually get back to you by?

interview was postponed to late April due to snow. feel like i'm at a disadvantage now with what seems to be one of the last few interview dates. at this point, is touro just interviewing for WL? if anyone plans to cancel sooner please post! as a local i'd love to have an earlier spot.

still waiting from interview on 1/29.. how long do they usually get back to you by?
They took exactly 4 weeks for me, but they did say up to 8 weeks and that's what I was anticipating. I was definitely surprised when I got my response.

For me it took 5 weeks

Does anyone know how many seats are in the middletown campus and how many spots have been filled?

Current Middletown first year student. I did the MS program at Harlem so I'm relatively familiar with Touro's way of doing things, good and bad. I was a major underdog applicant, took the old and new MCAT multiple times, was lucky to apply when AACOMAS grade replacement was still a thing (I heard it was taken away?). I interviewed at Middletown at the end of March and was waitlisted first week of May, got accepted mid June and the rest was history.

Touro definitely has its share of issues, I won't argue that. But I agree with a majority of the other posters in here: the experience is what you make it. If you know that you're capable of working hard then you should be fine. If you want someone to hold your hand for everything, this probably isn't the place for you. No school is perfect. Make sure you do your homework; if you have other options, weigh everything carefully. If this is the only school you got into and you want to be a physician, roll up your sleeves and get ready to work.

As a 1st year student, I can't comment on rotations or anything with actual knowledge. What I'll say is that our first year exam schedule is bananas, especially this semester. We have weekly exams on top of being in clicker. It's exhausting and I really hope that the administration changes this schedule/makes clickers optional (ungraded) for the coming years. Luckily the worst of it is over. That being said, I fully believe that all of the craziness we're experiencing now has made us stronger and better. The second year schedule is much more manageable.

Having been a student at both campus I can say that Harlem is more "fun" as far as location, having things to do, etc. The student body at Harlem seemed to be more diverse. The professors at Middletown are MUCH better, the building is newer, there are plenty of opportunities to be on the e-board of something if that's your thing. There's less to do but people still find fun one way or another.

Good luck to those still waiting!

interview was postponed to late April due to snow. feel like i'm at a disadvantage now with what seems to be one of the last few interview dates. at this point, is touro just interviewing for WL? if anyone plans to cancel sooner please post! as a local i'd love to have an earlier spot.

Even if you are, plenty of people still come off the waitlist.

anyone from the 2/5 interview group for middletown hear back yet?

Current Middletown first year student. I did the MS program at Harlem so I'm relatively familiar with Touro's way of doing things, good and bad. I was a major underdog applicant, took the old and new MCAT multiple times, was lucky to apply when AACOMAS grade replacement was still a thing (I heard it was taken away?). I interviewed at Middletown at the end of March and was waitlisted first week of May, got accepted mid June and the rest was history.

Touro definitely has its share of issues, I won't argue that. But I agree with a majority of the other posters in here: the experience is what you make it. If you know that you're capable of working hard then you should be fine. If you want someone to hold your hand for everything, this probably isn't the place for you. No school is perfect. Make sure you do your homework; if you have other options, weigh everything carefully. If this is the only school you got into and you want to be a physician, roll up your sleeves and get ready to work.

As a 1st year student, I can't comment on rotations or anything with actual knowledge. What I'll say is that our first year exam schedule is bananas, especially this semester. We have weekly exams on top of being in clicker. It's exhausting and I really hope that the administration changes this schedule/makes clickers optional (ungraded) for the coming years. Luckily the worst of it is over. That being said, I fully believe that all of the craziness we're experiencing now has made us stronger and better. The second year schedule is much more manageable.

Having been a student at both campus I can say that Harlem is more "fun" as far as location, having things to do, etc. The student body at Harlem seemed to be more diverse. The professors at Middletown are MUCH better, the building is newer, there are plenty of opportunities to be on the e-board of something if that's your thing. There's less to do but people still find fun one way or another.

Good luck to those still waiting!
I just got accepted to Touro this cycle. Can you comment on the year 1 schedule? What it's like on a weekly basis? Or perhaps you could send me a picture of what your class schedule looked like? Thanks!

I just got accepted to Touro this cycle. Can you comment on the year 1 schedule? What it's like on a weekly basis? Or perhaps you could send me a picture of what your class schedule looked like? Thanks!

1st year here. So, let me break down what you need to know. Touro is flipped classroom; meaning that you watch these videos made by professors on the lectures for that week. From my experience these are generally better than going to lecture as the professor edits these videos and remake them to be clear and effective. After this your schedule "class time" each week you attend and the professor gives clicker questions on those lectures. You can easily see how well you comprehended the material and get a sense of exam questions. Clicker session are required. But guess what as an MS1 there are things you must learn in person; OMM, anatomy lab, physical diagnosis. So, though it sounds appealing to be #sweatpantschick and never leave your room, much of year 1 learning takes place in person and these clicker sessions are right after these in person things.

Clickers add up to 10% of your grade. You won't be able to get an A without going if that's what you are thinking. Also from personal experience I did a special masters program where class wasn't required and by the 2nd month I hated my life and was super stir crazy. There are a lot of fun people here at Touro and the Med school class has a bond I wouldn't want to miss. The key is to just not get behind in the lectures so that the going to the clicker sessions aren't useless.

1st year you'll have clickers Tuesday 9-10, lab 10-12. Then Wednesday you basically have class/ labs all day from 8-4 then Thursday you'll have clickers/lab again from 8-3 and Friday will be same as Tuesday.

When I am prepared I found clickers to be very usefully. If I am not its better to put in my earphones and just catch up and do work which is what a lot of people do. I certainly wouldn't let this be a make or break for the school.

Your exams are always on Mondays. So that means that for the first month you have Mondays "off" but once an exam block starts every Monday will be a test. The hard part becomes taking the weekend to prepare for the exam and still finding time to be caught up and ready for clicker sessions on Wednesday and Thursday.

8f698bf7-106b-4ea0-9d3c-dea9667febe0

Your exams are always on Mondays. So that means that for the first month you have Mondays "off" but once an exam block starts every Monday will be a test. The hard part becomes taking the weekend to prepare for the exam and still finding time to be caught up and ready for clicker sessions on Wednesday and Thursday.

8f698bf7-106b-4ea0-9d3c-dea9667febe0

so when you are tested every monday, does that mean you are only being tested on the previous week's material?

which campus did you get accepted into and when did you interview if you dont mid me asking?