2017-2018 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TouroCOM-NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He said 4 to 6 weeks. Most likely longer than 4 because apparently there are a lot of Jewish holidays in October so there are less days to review apps. For the previous two interview groups (before Oct 2nd) he said decisions were already made, but not sent out yet.
Oh wait, he said they already decided who to accept from the first two interview groups? I interviewed 9/18 so hopefully they won't sit too much longer on it. Kinda funny that they say it could take 6 weeks for them to decide if they want to accept you, but you only have 2 weeks to decide if you want to give a 2k deposit.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oh wait, he said they already decided who to accept from the first two interview groups? I interviewed 9/18 so hopefully they won't sit too much longer on it. Kinda funny that they say it could take 6 weeks for them to decide if they want to accept you, but you only have 2 weeks to decide if you want to give a 2k deposit.

Yea he said something was up with there computer systems so they couldn't send them out but decisions were made already.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
just got an II. does anyone have any recommendation on how to get to middletown from toronto ? Driving is out of the option, so bus from port authority ? Thank you so much in advance :)

Interview next week since I missed my original one. :boom:

just got an II. does anyone have any recommendation on how to get to middletown from toronto ? Driving is out of the option, so bus from port authority ? Thank you so much in advance :)
I would look into flying into Stewart and renting a car. The bus from the city sounds aggravating to me!

congrats on the interview! what is your date?

I would look into flying into Stewart and renting a car. The bus from the city sounds aggravating to me!

so embarassing to admit this but i cant drive :( So cant' rent a car even though it would have made everything much easier

and i still have to get a confirmation on II date but its in November.

II at Harlem campus set for 11/15! Complete email on 09/06. Flying in to LGA!

Last edited:

Flying into Stewart is very expensive. EWR and take the train to Secaucus and then to Middletown,NY

I would like to nominate the Middletown campus for worst admissions department. They have by far, the longest wait time for decisions for a rolling admissions school. On Monday I called both admissions extensions with a question on dropping scheduled courses on my app that are not prereqs. No answer. I called yesterday morning. No answer from either line. Left a message. Nothing. I emailed yesterday afternoon. Nothing. Annnnnnd they are closed again Thursday and Friday so I don't really know what to do, other than fly back up to NY and walk into their office. I tried calling the admissions director this morning but his voicemail says he's out of the office till Monday.

Holllllleeeee crap. It's been three days and I can't get anyone to answer the phone/return my call/answer my email. I think the IRS is faster. And I imagine this means the next soonest date we could hear back about a decision will be Monday.

Reactions: 1 users
Flying into Stewart is very expensive. EWR and take the train to Secaucus and then to Middletown,NY

Thank you so much. Where do you recommend staying in Middletown for those interviewing in the morning. Possibly something closeby or cheap. Also how are the cab services in the town?

Microtel is nice. I paid 60 or 70ish. Decent breakfast in the morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who interviewed at Middletown, how was the interview day like? Around what time is the day over?

For those who interviewed at Middletown, how was the interview day like? Around what time is the day over?
In all honesty the interview day was awful...but do not let that discourage you. They were not organized, the school is a bit disappointing, and the food made me want to vomit. The day ends at 2:30ish, but 2:30 could not come fast enough!

I had a similar experience to @futuredrexdoc .

Positives:
-Flipped classroom (similar to Khan Academy)
-Great COMLEX 1 scores
-Dean is really down to Earth. He said he understands that DO is usually just another pathway to medicine and that he understands OMM is very limited.
-Anatomy lab instructor was fantastic. FYI, you will see cadavers and get to hold organs.
-They serve breakfast

Negatives:
-One of my interviewers was kind of a jerk. He kept hinting that I wouldn't make it in medicine since I'm a non-trad. Other interviewer was nice so maybe it was a good cop bad cop thing.
-Tuition is high and they have a few grand in annual fees that they do not disclose on their website or on AACOMAS's site.
-Admissions dean told us not to read about their school on SDN.
-Dorms are old hospital rooms. There is no on campus kitchen and you are not allowed to cook in your room. Students said there only choice for food is eating out.
-No gym on campus
-Secondary is $200
-The admissions department is terrible. They don't answer the phone, return calls or emails.
-Terrible COMLEX 2 and 3 scores

The day ended around 2pm. They are a Jewish school so the food is kosher. I imagine if they end up building a cafeteria that it will also be kosher.

I will just add my 2 cents and say that the interview day was not awful for me, but I do wish my interview went better (with interviewers who at least act like they want to be there). I took one look at the dorms and decided that I'd be living off-campus if accepted. Other than those two things, I had no problem with this school. To be honest, unless a school does and/or shows something truly bad, I will be on cloud 9 going through this process. It is, as we all know, a great privilege to study medicine in the United States!

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you so much. Where do you recommend staying in Middletown for those interviewing in the morning. Possibly something closeby or cheap. Also how are the cab services in the town?

Super 8 Middletown, there is uber or the local taxi service

I would like to nominate the Middletown campus for worst admissions department. They have by far, the longest wait time for decisions for a rolling admissions school. On Monday I called both admissions extensions with a question on dropping scheduled courses on my app that are not prereqs. No answer. I called yesterday morning. No answer from either line. Left a message. Nothing. I emailed yesterday afternoon. Nothing. Annnnnnd they are closed again Thursday and Friday so I don't really know what to do, other than fly back up to NY and walk into their office. I tried calling the admissions director this morning but his voicemail says he's out of the office till Monday.

Holllllleeeee crap. It's been three days and I can't get anyone to answer the phone/return my call/answer my email. I think the IRS is faster. And I imagine this means the next soonest date we could hear back about a decision will be Monday.

Touro was closed due to Jewish holidays and Admission department were at OMED in Philadelphia

I will just add my 2 cents and say that the interview day was not awful for me, but I do wish my interview went better (with interviewers who at least act like they want to be there). I took one look at the dorms and decided that I'd be living off-campus if accepted. Other than those two things, I had no problem with this school. To be honest, unless a school does and/or shows something truly bad, I will be on cloud 9 going through this process. It is, as we all know, a great privilege to study medicine in the United States!

I agree with JudgeInTheHouse. I liked the school. It was not that unorganized, at least on my interview day, and it would be a school I'd be fine attending. Flipped classroom also works for my learning style. I don't plan on living on campus either. The faculty I talked to seemed down to earth (except the interviewers, but everyone seemed to feel similarly).

If there's one thing I learned from this thread (and from the admissions) is that Touro is definitely a place that works for you or doesn't. You'll find that out when you go there.

And also the food was fine, what are you expecting lol

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with JudgeInTheHouse. I liked the school. It was not that unorganized, at least on my interview day, and it would be a school I'd be fine attending. Flipped classroom also works for my learning style. I don't plan on living on campus either. The faculty I talked to seemed down to earth (except the interviewers, but everyone seemed to feel similarly).

If there's one thing I learned from this thread (and from the admissions) is that Touro is definitely a place that works for you or doesn't. You'll find that out when you go there.

And also the food was fine, what are you expecting lol

I know right, the food is Kosher!

I know right, the food is Kosher!
Haha for people that are not Jewish having to eat something were the Dean literally told us he could not tell the meats apart is revolting. What is so wrong with a having good old fashioned turkey wrap for interviewers to actually be able to eat the food, seriously?

Edit: But food is not a determining factor -- just warning people to bring a snack in your suit or something

Haha for people that are not Jewish having to eat something were the Dean literally told us he could not tell the meats apart is revolting. What is so wrong with a having good old fashioned turkey wrap for interviewers to actually be able to eat the food, seriously?

They had different wraps, and said they were sorry they forgot to put signs on it. Your mad because the dean couldn't tell the wraps apart?

They had different wraps, and said they were sorry they forgot to put signs on it. Your mad because the dean couldn't tell the wraps apart?
Lol why don't you let the food thing go buddy, was just warning people that it was very bad. Clearly I offended your top choice, I apologize, to each their own! :)

Lol why don't you let the food thing go buddy, was just warning people that it was very bad. Clearly I offended your top choice, I apologize, to each their own! :)

It's not my top choice. It's just a school, but alright. All the best regardless

Can anyone provide insight or advice on the interview at the Harlem campus? Coming up soon!

For anyone who has received an II at Harlem, were you ever notified that your app was complete? Would you mind sharing stats? Thanks!

For anyone who has received an II at Harlem, were you ever notified that your app was complete? Would you mind sharing stats? Thanks!

Hi! I submitted my essay and supplemental form via email, and received an II two weeks later. I did not receive a complete email. LM ~65. Low GPA, OK MCAT.

Edit: I just realized I received a complete email about 5 days after I submitted my secondary. Sorry for the misinformation!

Last edited:

October is a very odd month for all Touro campuses as they observe the Jewish holidays. I believe there are 3 weeks in October where we, as well as the faculty and administration, have Wednesday-Friday off. Try again next week and I'm pretty sure they'll respond in a timely manner!

October is a very odd month for all Touro campuses as they observe the Jewish holidays. I believe there are 3 weeks in October where we, as well as the faculty and administration, have Wednesday-Friday off. Try again next week and I'm pretty sure they'll respond in a timely manner!
Well I started calling Monday. Their site says they are open Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. Nobody will get back to me. The admissions department doesn't answer the phone for either extension and I've called Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. They won't return my call when I leave a voicemail and won't reply to my email. I'm really feeling hopeless as my question is just a simple yes or no and would save me from taking a full courseload that they don't require but is technically listed as future. It's almost like their admissions department does not exist. I live 1k miles away so I can't visit the campus to ask in person.

Hoping decisions for the earliest groups come out ASAP, very anxious.

Well I started calling Monday. Their site says they are open Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. Nobody will get back to me. The admissions department doesn't answer the phone for either extension and I've called Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. They won't return my call when I leave a voicemail and won't reply to my email. I'm really feeling hopeless as my question is just a simple yes or no and would save me from taking a full courseload that they don't require but is technically listed as future. It's almost like their admissions department does not exist. I live 1k miles away so I can't visit the campus to ask in person.

Give them a couple of days. I emailed them last week and received an automated email saying their office will be closed but I got an unexpected reply over the weekend so they do respond to email.

Interview 9/27, Rejection 10/16

LM 63.5

Looks like reapplying's back on the menu boys!

Last edited by a moderator:
I felt that it was the best interview out of the ones I've had.

Interview 9/27, Rejection 10/16

LM 63.5

Looks like reapplying's back on the menu boys!

Sorry to hear about that, but you have other interviews and it's still early in the cycle - don't lose hope! Can I PM you to ask you about your interview experience?

Be my guest to PM. Rejected from ARCOM but that was by far my worst interview - I knew'd get rejected before it was even over lol

Was the interview format at Harlem open or closed file, and was it a one-on-one? Thanks!

Be my guest to PM. Rejected from ARCOM but that was by far my worst interview - I knew'd get rejected before it was even over lol
You've got 3 more interviews, I can't imagine you don't get an acceptance from atleast one school. You aren't, like, actually interviewing as your Trump persona are you?

ACCEPTED TO MIDDLETOWN! 502 MCAT, 3.69 GPA. God Bless everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted!! Middletown campus! 3.84 cGPA 499 MCAT

Reactions: 3 users