2017-2018 Touro University - California Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current OMS-1 at TUCOM and am willing to answer any questions that you may have about the program!

Also for those of you waiting on interviews, don't freak out too much- when I applied last year, I submitted my application early July and didn't hear back until January!

This makes me feel better. I haven't heard back yet, and am panicking.

Members don't see this ad.

For those who declined the interview and/or acceptance, what motivated you? I am strongly considering declining the interview for financial reasons. I have a few other acceptances and am not sure this program is any better.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who declined the interview and/or acceptance, what motivated you? I am strongly considering declining the interview for financial reasons. I have a few other acceptances and am not sure this program is any better.

Facilities are worn down and uninspiring. There are abandoned buildings surrounding the campus that are creepy/haunted looking. I saw kids throwing a football in the parking lot and my dad said to me "oh that must be their quad." It's really unfortunate because to me it sends a message that the school is not willing to invest in its students, regardless of whether that statement holds any water.

It's really a shame that some billionaire doesn't renovate Mare Island into this gorgeous resort/condo/ (osteopathic medical school) location, because it truly feels like it has all this untapped potential. I'm sure there are reasons why this can't/won't happen.

Anyway, this was a really negative post but all of my faculty and student interactions were incredibly positive. I'm sure you'd receive an excellent education here and be top of the pile for California residencies.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users

I did not believe this is Mare Island. There must be a lot of regulations and building restrictions that there is only one new housing tract and no new apartments for students on Mare Island. I interviewed at Touro on Oct 23 and declined the acceptance offered after two weeks. I already have acceptance from Western COMP and AZCOM. I guess I am disappointed with the Campus buildings, library and parking lots comparing with Western COMP and AZCOM. Touro should at least resurface the parking lots. The students seem to be happy there.

Hey guys, I wanted to ask current med school students at TuCOM how many days out of the week do they actually go to campus? I'm considering living in Oakland and making the drive since it's counter-commute. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Cancelled my interview here. Hope someone else has gotten good news today!

I'd read about the state of the facilities, but mainly, it was the cost of living for me. I have an acceptance to somewhere I can buy a 2000 sq foot house for $150k or less. I would have gone if it was my only interview, but it just doesn't make sense to move somewhere it's going to cost so much to live when I can save some money living somewhere else. Minimizing the amount of debt I'm going to take out is important to me.

Hey guys, I wanted to ask current med school students at TuCOM how many days out of the week do they actually go to campus? I'm considering living in Oakland and making the drive since it's counter-commute. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Depends on the week's schedule, really. A lot of people skip lectures, but there are required labs (3-5 times a week) that will tether you to campus. I'm definitely on campus everyday.

As for living in Oakland, I know people that do it. It's definitely not easy, and traffic can get really bad unless you leave campus later in the evening, but it's possible. I would personally consider living somewhere like Albany or El Cerrito to avoid some of those gnarly Berkeley exits.

"Within the last three years, have you been engaged in any volunteer experiences? Please include the type of experience, sponsor, duration, and position"

Would volunteer experiences include officer of student organizations, shadowing doctors, taking care of elderly family members, or research?

Last edited:
So I just got an email telling me I received an II here and as I’m halfway reading the email I get an email saying II’s have been sent to the wrong people and to disregard the email. Wow.

So I just got an email telling me I received an II here and as I’m halfway reading the email I get an email saying II’s have been sent to the wrong people and to disregard the email. Wow.
WOW that is not cool at all

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah same it was so rude.

Depends on the week's schedule, really. A lot of people skip lectures, but there are required labs (3-5 times a week) that will tether you to campus. I'm definitely on campus everyday.

As for living in Oakland, I know people that do it. It's definitely not easy, and traffic can get really bad unless you leave campus later in the evening, but it's possible. I would personally consider living somewhere like Albany or El Cerrito to avoid some of those gnarly Berkeley exits.

Thank you for the input!

It might be worth emailing them to confirm whether you got an interview. I got the same message(s) but followed up and they said I was supposed to get an interview and the second email was a mistake. I ended up interviewing and got accepted.

and this is the second time that has happened this cycle from this school...yikes

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It might be worth emailing them to confirm whether you got an interview. I got the same message(s) but followed up and they said I was supposed to get an interview and the second email was a mistake. I ended up interviewing and got accepted.

Hmm will do!

1. It's roughly an overestimation. with a 700/month rent, I will definitely have extra money left over, but I'm under my parents' health insurance and car insurance plan.
2. I don't think that I'm qualified to answer this question given that I'm only a first year, haha.
3. I don't have any experience with this so I can't answer.
4. Lottery based with a one-time swap (with a different classmate who agrees)
5. I was originally between TUC and a oos school and one of the reasons I chose TUC was because the number of people who stay in CA for residency was significantly higher at TUC than at the oos school. Most of the classmates I have here are from california and do want to stay in california for residency.
6. Lots. I've seen a few joint papers between UCSF and TUC faculty, but there are a number of TUC professors that do research and actively need people to work with.

Thank you for your response! Paying 700 rent do you have a roomate or two?

Non-traditional applicant from New Jersey interviewing here on Monday. Does anybody have any advice for me

Non-traditional applicant from New Jersey interviewing here on Monday. Does anybody have any advice for me

Just be yourself, and remember...

there-is-no-try-only-do-quote-do-or-do-not-there-is-no-try-4-rules-to-responding-to-angry.jpg

Are people still getting IIs? I have not heard anything back from this school.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Interviewed 1/9 OOS

Thank you for your response! Paying 700 rent do you have a roomate or two?
I have my own room. It's pretty big and I have a walk in closet.

Do most students have a car on campus?
It's not really required to have a car, but it really helps.
To put things into perspective, The Safeway that I go to for groceries is about a 10 minute drive (freeway) from school, and the farmer's market is about a 5 minute drive (local) from school. But there are times I bring classmates with me (to places like the farmer's market, Costco, or a place to eat), so it's not impossible to attend TUC without a car-but it's important that at least one person in your house has a car so that you can join them when they go grocery shopping.111

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted here so far and good luck to those who have interviews coming up.
Is there a page for accepted students? Facebook page or whatever website that the group may be on?

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted here so far and good luck to those who have interviews coming up.
Is there a page for accepted students? Facebook page or whatever website that the group may be on?
I couldn't find one. Maybe too early?

There's a public Facebook page. You can find it if you search for TUCOM-CA 2022 under the groups tab.

Is Touro-CA just kinda silent this cycle? This thread is only 4 pages long so I'm wondering if they're giving IIs slowly or not giving them to people on SDN?

Is Touro-CA just kinda silent this cycle? This thread is only 4 pages long so I'm wondering if they're giving IIs slowly or not giving them to people on SDN?

That is bizarre. This time last cycle, they were up to page 8.

Last edited:
That is bizarre. This time last cycle, we were up to page 8.
Agree. Touro-CA is very quiet in December and Jan this year. They may be waiting for UC MD schools sending out the rejects this month and early Feb. They want to have higher percentage of Matriculants to Acceptances among interviewees.

Agree. Touro-CA is very quiet in December and Jan this year. They may be waiting for UC MD schools sending out the rejects this month and early Feb. They want to have higher percentage of Matriculants to Acceptances among interviewees.

Hopefully that means a stronger Feb and Mar!

I saw that they interviewed through April last year so there's still hope for us :D

Just received an interview here- soonest date was 2/27! Really excited about this program as I'm a CA resident though I was hoping to also get an interview at Touro Nevada since that ends up being closer to my family in LA.

Reactions: 3 users
Just received an interview here- soonest date was 2/27! Really excited about this program as I'm a CA resident though I was hoping to also get an interview at Touro Nevada since that ends up being closer to my family in LA.

Congrats! I'm hoping for some love as well.

Mind sharing your submit and complete date?

Would anyone be able to comment on the differences between Touro-CA and KCU-Kansas city?

Accepted today! Interviewed 1/22. First med school acceptance. So surreal

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted today! Interviewed 1/22. First med school acceptance. So surreal

Hey man! I was there on the 1/22 interview too. I was also accepted here as well.

Hey man! I was there on the 1/22 interview too. I was also accepted here as well.
Hey, congrats! I’ll most likely be attending here. I’m curious as to why this thread is so quiet compared to like every other school haha

Nice! I have some schools I am still waiting to hear back from so it depends on which schools I hear back from and when. I believe this thread was longer but IDK I could be wrong that maybe it was deleted and remade?

Hey, congrats! I’ll most likely be attending here. I’m curious as to why this thread is so quiet compared to like every other school haha
I have an interview here at the end of the month. Curious how your experience was as far as stress level / how you best prepared? Congrats on your acceptance btw! :)

I have an interview here at the end of the month. Curious how your experience was as far as stress level / how you best prepared? Congrats on your acceptance btw! :)
I found the interview day to be pretty relaxed. A lot of the day was spent giving us information about the school, medical school admissions, financial aid etc They discuss how much the application process is a matter of you choosing them as it is of them choosing you. And I think all the information is presented so that you can make a more informed decision. There was a good amount of time to talk with other applicants and I was pretty impressed with the quality of people I interviewed with. I left thinking that I would be happy to be classmates with everyone I met on campus. The group interview setup is different, but I think it takes away some of the intimidation that accompanies MMI and traditional interviews. As others have mentioned, the questions are typically specific toward your application and what you've discussed in your primary and secondary apps. We did have a few off the wall questions, but these were welcome because they provided comic relief and gave everyone a chance to see really genuine reactions from the applicants.

I tried to prepare by going over interview questions and how I would respond to them. But you’re most likely going to get questions that you didn’t prepare for, and when that happens you just have to think about the best answer. They’re curious to see how your brain makes connections and how you reach certain conclusions, so just be yourself. The stress level of the interview is low since you’re interviewing with 4 other people, and we had some fun conversations. Show them why you’re interested in DO and why you’re passionate about it

I think it was a relaxed, fun interview. Make sure you know your application very well. Know as much as you can about Osteopathic medicine. Have fun, get to know your fellow applicants, it's a neat experience.

I submitted my deposit but did not get a confirmation email? Did anyone else have this problem?

I submitted my deposit but did not get a confirmation email? Did anyone else have this problem?
You get an email confirmation from the dean of admissions after you email in those acceptance documents they sent you in the mail. The email confirms your deposit as well.

Can anyone shed some light on why most students here get placed into family medicine residencies as compared to other schools? I have been accepted here but am more interested in specific specialties