Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

2017-2018 Touro University - Nevada Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine

Discussion in 'Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by chizledfrmstone, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Positivevibes5

For those still waiting for interviews and were put on interview waitlist. I got put on the interview waitlist in August and just today received an interview invite. So all hope is not lost for you guys. Especially because I will not be attending since I’ve been accepted to one of my top choices!! Good luck to whoever gets my interview.

stampofapproval likes this.
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chompygirl

Pre-Medical
    Hi all, I just got selected for an interview. Do you guys think it's even worth going this late in the year?

4. pinklimediluted

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    Can anyone elaborate on the day-to-day here? i.e. what time do classes start for first years? is it mandatory? which classes/labs are mandatory? do you get a lunch break? what time do you leave? etc...

5. Dr Wannabe

Pre-Medical
    If you haven't been accepted anywhere else, then yes! If you have, but this is your dream school and money isn't a big factor, then yes! Personally I'd rather you didn't though, I'm one of those December Interview Waitlisters, and I'm still trying to remain optimistic.

what_the_effy and chompygirl like this.
  6. Dr Wannabe

Pre-Medical
    I feel like I should have added a smiley face or exclamation point on that last sentence, it was meant to be lighthearted but it reads like I really don't want you to go....which is true....ok, I'll just stop now

7. Ash_de_Shiraz

Pre-Medical
    people are killing for an interview and you are asking if its worth it to go? If you already got better options maybe you should reject the offer and let someone else have your spot.

8. chompygirl

Pre-Medical
    haha no worries! I really do like the school but I'm supposed to go out of the country that week so that's just why I was asking!

9. what_the_effy

Was there only one date available? I seriously doubt they won’t work with you for a later date or earlier date if you’ve got non refundable international travel plans. Just email them and say you’re interested and explain. If you’re not interested just decline and let someone else go.

chompygirl likes this.
  10. chompygirl

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the advice! I emailed them about that and I'm waiting to hear back. I'll let you guys know what they say if anyone else is in the same situation.

what_the_effy likes this.
  11. what_the_effy

Good luck! And have fun abroad!

chompygirl likes this.
  12. stampofapproval

Pre-Medical
    Paid my deposit yesterday! Really excited to be joining you guys.

Is there an accepted students FB page?

hopefulblonde likes this.
  13. Donald J. Trump

Medical Student (Accepted)
    TUNCOM DO2022, ask to join and someone will add you

14. sandiegokid

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I tried looking for any advice on the interview but all I see is that the interview is 20 min. For those who have interviewed, do they ask you questions about your application? Or ethical questions? Or behavioral questions..i.e."tell me about a time when...and how did you handle the situation"? Any information on how to best prepare would help and thank you soo much in advance

chompygirl likes this.
  15. bwn724

Pre-Medical
    They did ask me about my application. They had my application and my LORs right there on the table in front of me and they had taken hand-written notes on my application. They did have a question that was like "tell me about a time when...and how did you handle the situation." They also came up with a scenario in the medical field and asked how I would react. They also brought up any holes I had in my application (ie. I haven't taken anatomy, my major isn't science-based, I didn't shadow any DOs). It all still felt kind of laid back though. Not everybody had the same interviewers so it could be different for you. Hope that helps!

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. sandiegokid

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Great, thanks so much for the helpful insight! Seems like they get a lot of questions out in a short 20 minutes haha

18. calivianya

Oh yeah, they come at you prepared, having very thoroughly reviewed every detail of your app. I personally appreciated that a lot; it felt like they really cared and were really paying attention, as opposed to other interviewers who seemed to have a "whatever" sort of attitude and had to flip through papers to find questions to ask me. They're on top of it here.

sandiegokid likes this.
  19. pinklimediluted

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    I had a strange interview experience. There were suppose to be 2 interviewers, 1 DO and 1 PhD, and the PhD came late because they had to teach a class. I felt like the PhD should have just not come and my interview felt interrupted. The DO seemed to review my application thoroughly, which I appreciated. The DO even referred to my LOR. The PhD didn't ask a lot of questions, and seemed disinterested; the PhD did ask if I took a list of courses like anatomy, biochemistry, etc., which I found strange because these are basic things required for you to even apply.

Overall, I'm not sure how strong I came across based on the polarizing interviewers and the disruption. Otherwise, the day was pretty relaxed. And yes 20 minutes is a short time, so make sure YOU guide the interview. There were certain strong attributes I didn't get across based on their 'situational' questions, and I brought up when they asked if I had any questions. Honestly, I feel like b/c the interview is so short, they're really just making sure you're not a psychopath.

20. lolalala

DO/PhD Student
    After I came out of my interview I thought there was no way that I was accepted. I had one DO and one MD. They knew my app inside and out but the worst part was their questions and comments that put me in a tight situation to see how I react. Some tough situations were: them saying that I shouldn't have even been called for the interview, or turning my strengths into weaknesses. They just want to see how well you can respond. So even after this experience, I was accepted.

The moral of the story is that during the interview, it might seem that they do not like you, even that they hate you, but hold you ground, keep yourself calm, and do not freak out. That is all they are looking for, is how calm, and how well do you articulate yourself in those 20 minutes of facing tough situations.

All in all, now I look back at it, I really appreciate the way my interview was because it really helps them pick out the best students who are ready even in the worst situations.

Also, it is so vital to send them thank you emails. They read them, and some even respond!

21. Derpin2Doctor

Pre-Medical
    I’m glad to hear this - I felt like I was grilled in my interview today, and I did my best to hang in there and give good answers. I walked out of the interview feeling the heat and thinking I bombed it, so hopefully I’m in the same situation you were lol.

22. Donald J. Trump

Totally agree with you and Derpin. I walked out of that interview feeling like I wasted $500 on even trying to get in there

Derpin2Doctor likes this.
  23. MediC00L

Pre-Medical
    Just want to throw in that I felt really good after this interview. I felt that I was fairly evaluated, received positive feedback throughout the interview, and was allowed ample opportunity to articulate my strengths as opposed to defend against weaknesses, as it seems you guys above had to deal with. I had one interviewer, and he was a PhD. It was pretty conversational and laid back, and I definitely got the impression that he was just hoping to clarify a few things about me (like my undergrad research and how I felt about an ethical situation, for example) rather than indirectly get at my ability to remain calm under pressure or anything like that. Guess that just goes to show that it could be a total crap shoot on who ya get!

Also, in regards to the comment above about sending thank you emails being super important: definitely always a good idea, but they actually explicitly said to my interview group that they don’t care whether or not you send them and that it will have no effect on your admissions decision. I got real lazy and never ended up sending one (kicking myself, that’s just rude) and still got accepted.

24. isnyder25

Although it might not have a bearing on admissions decisions, getting the following response from one of my interviewers definitely helped me feel better about traveling from the East Coast for my interview lol:
    "Thank you for the kind email.
    We did enjoy our brief interview yesterday and truly hope you will be one of our students next year."

MediC00L likes this.
  25. pinklimediluted

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    Accepted! Interviewed 3/21.

dial1010usa likes this.
  26. isnyder25

+1. AM or PM shift on 3/21?

27. pinklimediluted

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    AM.

Congrats!

28. MedicalMD

Pre-Medical
    Any luck on a Facebook group for accepted students?

29. marmoora

Pre-Medical
    The group is called "TUNCOM DO2022" You must request to be added and the Student Admissions Director will accept you!

30. pinklimediluted

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    I'm having trouble "loving" this school. I just didn't have a good gut feeling based on my interview day experience. I'd like to provide my pros and cons and perhaps pending/current students can help add to the list.

Pros:
    - Close to home. I'm from SoCal.
    - A plethora of residency matches in SoCal, however, I'm willing to go elsewhere
    - Established rotation sites.
    - Henderson has a low cost of living and is safe

Cons:
    - Increase class size from 135 to 181
    - Construction (during my 1st year) to expand classroom size
    - Fluctuating COMLEX scores (https://tun.touro.edu/programs/college-of-osteopathic-medicine/doctor-of-osteopathic-medicine/do-facts/)
    - The traditional curriculum of normal, then abnormal (vs systems based).
    - The attrition rate (what happened to the class of 2015...that's a 77% graduation if the class size was 135)
    - That UGLY building...

31. homeostatic-ing

Pre-Medical
    Hello! I was wondering if you (or any other current students) could provide more information about the availability of research opportunities on campus. There doesn't seem to be much information on the website, and I remember a current student at my interview mentioning that he did research off campus.

Thank you!

32. Derpin2Doctor

Pre-Medical
    I’m with you...I want to like it but I’m having a hard time. The building was terrible, the whole place felt gloomy and depressing. The people seemed friendly enough, but not as welcoming as some of the other schools I’ve been to. Logistically, this school would be amazing, but aside from that I’m having a hard time convincing myself that I’d be happy there. Dunno what to think guys and gals.

33. isnyder25

It's funny, because my reasoning for not being in love is that I am from the East Coast. I didn't find the building that bad honestly, but that could be because I was looking at functionality, more than aesthetics. At my interview not only were the people there super friendly, but the staff and faculty, including one of my interviewers, were a lot friendlier than many schools I have interviewed at. Also, I really did get the feeling that the faculty really CARES, which again, some of the interviews I have had was with faculty who did not care as much. I was also short 3 credits of Behavorial sciences and the same day I asked if that will be an issue, I received a response that the director of admissions was happy to waive that requirement for me, which again showed they care and they aren't being jerks to make me make up those credits, which they definitely could have done if they wanted to, which their sister school in NY told me they would enforce that rule.

Also, for me at least, it meant a lot to me to have one of my interviewers ask me about a project I wrote about in my application, which was the first time I have been asked about that project, because he also thought it was amazing and realized it was important to me. That same interviewer had sent me a nice response to my thank you email, within a hour. Having faculty that really care and get you, is a huge asset for medical school, because they become the best mentors you can have for life.

So for me, my lack of love is for logistical reasons only.

pinklimediluted and marmoora like this.
  34. Khyrst

Pre-Medical
    I heard about the increase in class size too... Is the class size going to be expanding for this entering class or the coming cycle?

35. homeostatic-ing

Pre-Medical
    For some reason, I thought that the curriculum was systems based, not traditional with normal then abnormal :smack: Can someone please clarify? Thanks!

36. pinklimediluted

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    This entering class. They confirmed it in the acceptance email.

This was in the phamlet given during the interview day. If you look on the website (https://tun.touro.edu/programs/college-of-osteopathic-medicine/doctor-of-osteopathic-medicine/curriculum/), the curriculum shown also correlates with a normal/abnormal curriculum.

Khyrst likes this.
  37. pinklimediluted

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for your input. I agree, I think faculty actually caring in your success is important. I was very surprised that during my interview, details from my LOR was mentioned.

Luckily for me, I felt the "care" factor from all my interviews, which negates it as a factor for me in choosing this school.

isnyder25 likes this.
  38. Khyrst

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone have any idea of how many students have been admitted to the class so far?

39. Donald J. Trump

At least 140 from the facebook group

40. Khyrst

Pre-Medical
    Yeah I saw the FB group too. Last time I checked it had 148 members, two of which are admins. Although I don't believe the number of members would be an accurate image of the current class size. There are bound to be those that haven't asked to join the group and the few who may not have FB accounts. I just wasn't sure if maybe someone had contacted admissions or if something may have been mentioned at recent interviews?

41. DR MCNUGGET

Medical Student
    Hey, just FYI, the curriculum is systems based now. Not traditional.

pinklimediluted likes this.