2017-2018 Touro University - Nevada Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I tried looking for any advice on the interview but all I see is that the interview is 20 min. For those who have interviewed, do they ask you questions about your application? Or ethical questions? Or behavioral questions..i.e."tell me about a time when...and how did you handle the situation"? Any information on how to best prepare would help and thank you soo much in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I tried looking for any advice on the interview but all I see is that the interview is 20 min. For those who have interviewed, do they ask you questions about your application? Or ethical questions? Or behavioral questions..i.e."tell me about a time when...and how did you handle the situation"? Any information on how to best prepare would help and thank you soo much in advance
They did ask me about my application. They had my application and my LORs right there on the table in front of me and they had taken hand-written notes on my application. They did have a question that was like "tell me about a time when...and how did you handle the situation." They also came up with a scenario in the medical field and asked how I would react. They also brought up any holes I had in my application (ie. I haven't taken anatomy, my major isn't science-based, I didn't shadow any DOs). It all still felt kind of laid back though. Not everybody had the same interviewers so it could be different for you. Hope that helps!

They did ask me about my application. They had my application and my LORs right there on the table in front of me and they had taken hand-written notes on my application. They did have a question that was like "tell me about a time when...and how did you handle the situation." They also came up with a scenario in the medical field and asked how I would react. They also brought up any holes I had in my application (ie. I haven't taken anatomy, my major isn't science-based, I didn't shadow any DOs). It all still felt kind of laid back though. Not everybody had the same interviewers so it could be different for you. Hope that helps!
Great, thanks so much for the helpful insight! Seems like they get a lot of questions out in a short 20 minutes haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Great, thanks so much for the helpful insight! Seems like they get a lot of questions out in a short 20 minutes haha
Oh yeah, they come at you prepared, having very thoroughly reviewed every detail of your app. I personally appreciated that a lot; it felt like they really cared and were really paying attention, as opposed to other interviewers who seemed to have a "whatever" sort of attitude and had to flip through papers to find questions to ask me. They're on top of it here.

I had a strange interview experience. There were suppose to be 2 interviewers, 1 DO and 1 PhD, and the PhD came late because they had to teach a class. I felt like the PhD should have just not come and my interview felt interrupted. The DO seemed to review my application thoroughly, which I appreciated. The DO even referred to my LOR. The PhD didn't ask a lot of questions, and seemed disinterested; the PhD did ask if I took a list of courses like anatomy, biochemistry, etc., which I found strange because these are basic things required for you to even apply.

Overall, I'm not sure how strong I came across based on the polarizing interviewers and the disruption. Otherwise, the day was pretty relaxed. And yes 20 minutes is a short time, so make sure YOU guide the interview. There were certain strong attributes I didn't get across based on their 'situational' questions, and I brought up when they asked if I had any questions. Honestly, I feel like b/c the interview is so short, they're really just making sure you're not a psychopath.

Reactions: 2 users

After I came out of my interview I thought there was no way that I was accepted. I had one DO and one MD. They knew my app inside and out but the worst part was their questions and comments that put me in a tight situation to see how I react. Some tough situations were: them saying that I shouldn't have even been called for the interview, or turning my strengths into weaknesses. They just want to see how well you can respond. So even after this experience, I was accepted.

The moral of the story is that during the interview, it might seem that they do not like you, even that they hate you, but hold you ground, keep yourself calm, and do not freak out. That is all they are looking for, is how calm, and how well do you articulate yourself in those 20 minutes of facing tough situations.

All in all, now I look back at it, I really appreciate the way my interview was because it really helps them pick out the best students who are ready even in the worst situations.

Also, it is so vital to send them thank you emails. They read them, and some even respond!

After I came out of my interview I thought there was no way that I was accepted. I had one DO and one MD. They knew my app inside and out but the worst part was their questions and comments that put me in a tight situation to see how I react. Some tough situations were: them saying that I shouldn't have even been called for the interview, or turning my strengths into weaknesses. They just want to see how well you can respond. So even after this experience, I was accepted.

The moral of the story is that during the interview, it might seem that they do not like you, even that they hate you, but hold you ground, keep yourself calm, and do not freak out. That is all they are looking for, is how calm, and how well do you articulate yourself in those 20 minutes of facing tough situations.

All in all, now I look back at it, I really appreciate the way my interview was because it really helps them pick out the best students who are ready even in the worst situations.

Also, it is so vital to send them thank you emails. They read them, and some even respond!

I’m glad to hear this - I felt like I was grilled in my interview today, and I did my best to hang in there and give good answers. I walked out of the interview feeling the heat and thinking I bombed it, so hopefully I’m in the same situation you were lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Totally agree with you and Derpin. I walked out of that interview feeling like I wasted $500 on even trying to get in there

Just want to throw in that I felt really good after this interview. I felt that I was fairly evaluated, received positive feedback throughout the interview, and was allowed ample opportunity to articulate my strengths as opposed to defend against weaknesses, as it seems you guys above had to deal with. I had one interviewer, and he was a PhD. It was pretty conversational and laid back, and I definitely got the impression that he was just hoping to clarify a few things about me (like my undergrad research and how I felt about an ethical situation, for example) rather than indirectly get at my ability to remain calm under pressure or anything like that. Guess that just goes to show that it could be a total crap shoot on who ya get!

Also, in regards to the comment above about sending thank you emails being super important: definitely always a good idea, but they actually explicitly said to my interview group that they don’t care whether or not you send them and that it will have no effect on your admissions decision. I got real lazy and never ended up sending one (kicking myself, that’s just rude) and still got accepted.

Although it might not have a bearing on admissions decisions, getting the following response from one of my interviewers definitely helped me feel better about traveling from the East Coast for my interview lol:
"Thank you for the kind email.
We did enjoy our brief interview yesterday and truly hope you will be one of our students next year."

Just want to throw in that I felt really good after this interview. I felt that I was fairly evaluated, received positive feedback throughout the interview, and was allowed ample opportunity to articulate my strengths as opposed to defend against weaknesses, as it seems you guys above had to deal with. I had one interviewer, and he was a PhD. It was pretty conversational and laid back, and I definitely got the impression that he was just hoping to clarify a few things about me (like my undergrad research and how I felt about an ethical situation, for example) rather than indirectly get at my ability to remain calm under pressure or anything like that. Guess that just goes to show that it could be a total crap shoot on who ya get!

Also, in regards to the comment above about sending thank you emails being super important: definitely always a good idea, but they actually explicitly said to my interview group that they don’t care whether or not you send them and that it will have no effect on your admissions decision. I got real lazy and never ended up sending one (kicking myself, that’s just rude) and still got accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted 9/27, II 9/7. The interview was 20 mins for each applicant with general questions you can find on SDN. I think it's a great school per the students I've been talking to (friends' friends). Since I'm interested in primary care and want to be closer to my family, this is a good match for me. There's also plenty of hospitals to rotate through during the clinical years.

If anyone's creating a Facebook group, please DM me. Or if y'all have any question, feel free to DM me as well.

Any luck on a Facebook group for accepted students?

I'm having trouble "loving" this school. I just didn't have a good gut feeling based on my interview day experience. I'd like to provide my pros and cons and perhaps pending/current students can help add to the list.

Pros:
- Close to home. I'm from SoCal.
- A plethora of residency matches in SoCal, however, I'm willing to go elsewhere
- Established rotation sites.
- Henderson has a low cost of living and is safe

Cons:
- Increase class size from 135 to 181
- Construction (during my 1st year) to expand classroom size
- Fluctuating COMLEX scores (https://tun.touro.edu/programs/coll...cine/doctor-of-osteopathic-medicine/do-facts/)
- The traditional curriculum of normal, then abnormal (vs systems based).
- The attrition rate (what happened to the class of 2015...that's a 77% graduation if the class size was 135)
- That UGLY building...

Current first year here. Wrote this last month for someone on the interview trail who wanted my opinion. I honestly don't know the comprehensive history of the school as maybe @honesTUN does but these are my thoughts so far:

I ended up attending three interviews and deferring one. Of the three that I attended, I definitely felt that Touro’s systems based curriculum was the best for me. This is the style of didactic learning most schools are in favor of to prepare students for board examinations. Touro has transitioned to this style starting with my class, as brought on by our new dean, Dr. Dougherty, from KCUCOM. As you may already know, board scores are one of the greatest determinants regarding your ability to enter whatever your specialty of interest is. From what I can tell, most of the material we cover correlates with the board prep material (First Aid, BRS, etc.) that I’ve used to supplement my studying.

I would say that most professors in our faculty are of good quality. There are some who read straight from the powerpoints and a couple of professors where you may be better off just looking at the slides. However, they are all very supportive and truly are there for your success. The “open door policy” is truly open. We are currently missing a dedicated physiology professor so other departmental faculty members are subbing in. They are actively working on recruitment to fill this role.

We currently have a very good selection of rotation sites in the southern Nevada region given that we were the only medical school in the area up until this past year with the opening of UNLV. Our CEO, former House Representative Shelley Berkley, is very savvy both politically and financially and is ensuring that the quality of our rotation sites remains solid. As an example (disclaimer: a second year student told me this), she apparently helped introduce legislature that capped the amount of compensation a school can provide for a clerkship slot thereby disincentivizing local hospitals from taking in non-local students.

The biggest ‘pro’ to TUN in my opinion is the location. The other three schools that I considered were located in the middle of nowhere. Living in Las Vegas is a great hub to access many other cities. I have family living in Los Angeles and getting there is a matter of hopping onto I-15S for 3 hours. If you like the outdoors, particularly the desert, you will love it here. There are several National Parks within relatively close proximity. The Strip likely needs no introduction. Las Vegas is a party destination and there is always something going on. Downtown proper is also very fun and a great destination to go de-stress following exams. If ya like to rage, you're at the right place.

The culture at Touro is pretty chill. I know nearly everyone in my class and can say assuredly that ~98% of them are super down to earth. We openly share resources and positively encourage each other. Almost everyone has or will experience a low moment at some point in time in this journey. There is always a pillar of support easily found in others. I have made several friends and feel very comfortable on campus.

As for the cons, I would say the warehouse style campus and that I’d also like for better communication/organization. The caveat to the former complaint is that objectively, the school has everything you need for completing your education. I’m not sure where you went for undergrad but almost certainly, the Touro “campus” is not as pretty. On a positive note, the school is undergoing heavy renovation and the new facilities are looking pretty nice. The recent opening of the simulation lab, the Tang Center, has been pretty exciting. The aforementioned communication problems range from minimally to moderately annoying. Some examples include last minute room changes for exams and occasional lectures going unrecorded (this has happened for <10 lecture hours).

All things considered, I am happy that I chose this school. I’m not really sure about how it compares to Touro California. A fellow interviewee who did his post-bacc at TUC said that TUN was better for what it’s worth. Also, our location definitely trumps theirs in my opinion.

Hello! I was wondering if you (or any other current students) could provide more information about the availability of research opportunities on campus. There doesn't seem to be much information on the website, and I remember a current student at my interview mentioning that he did research off campus.

Thank you!

I'm having trouble "loving" this school. I just didn't have a good gut feeling based on my interview day experience. I'd like to provide my pros and cons and perhaps pending/current students can help add to the list.

Pros:
- A plethora of residency matches in SoCal, however, I'm willing to go elsewhere

Cons:
- Fluctuating COMLEX scores (https://tun.touro.edu/programs/coll...cine/doctor-of-osteopathic-medicine/do-facts/)
- The attrition rate (what happened to the class of 2015...that's a 77% graduation if the class size was 135)
- That UGLY building...
I’m with you...I want to like it but I’m having a hard time. The building was terrible, the whole place felt gloomy and depressing. The people seemed friendly enough, but not as welcoming as some of the other schools I’ve been to. Logistically, this school would be amazing, but aside from that I’m having a hard time convincing myself that I’d be happy there. Dunno what to think guys and gals.

It's funny, because my reasoning for not being in love is that I am from the East Coast. I didn't find the building that bad honestly, but that could be because I was looking at functionality, more than aesthetics. At my interview not only were the people there super friendly, but the staff and faculty, including one of my interviewers, were a lot friendlier than many schools I have interviewed at. Also, I really did get the feeling that the faculty really CARES, which again, some of the interviews I have had was with faculty who did not care as much. I was also short 3 credits of Behavorial sciences and the same day I asked if that will be an issue, I received a response that the director of admissions was happy to waive that requirement for me, which again showed they care and they aren't being jerks to make me make up those credits, which they definitely could have done if they wanted to, which their sister school in NY told me they would enforce that rule.

Also, for me at least, it meant a lot to me to have one of my interviewers ask me about a project I wrote about in my application, which was the first time I have been asked about that project, because he also thought it was amazing and realized it was important to me. That same interviewer had sent me a nice response to my thank you email, within a hour. Having faculty that really care and get you, is a huge asset for medical school, because they become the best mentors you can have for life.

So for me, my lack of love is for logistical reasons only.

I’m with you...I want to like it but I’m having a hard time. The building was terrible, the whole place felt gloomy and depressing. The people seemed friendly enough, but not as welcoming as some of the other schools I’ve been to. Logistically, this school would be amazing, but aside from that I’m having a hard time convincing myself that I’d be happy there. Dunno what to think guys and gals.

Pros:

Cons:
- That UGLY building...

I heard about the increase in class size too... Is the class size going to be expanding for this entering class or the coming cycle?

Pros:

Cons:
- Fluctuating COMLEX scores
- That UGLY building...

For some reason, I thought that the curriculum was systems based, not traditional with normal then abnormal :smack: Can someone please clarify? Thanks!

I heard about the increase in class size too... Is the class size going to be expanding for this entering class or the coming cycle?

This entering class. They confirmed it in the acceptance email.

For some reason, I thought that the curriculum was systems based, not traditional with normal then abnormal :smack: Can someone please clarify? Thanks!

This was in the phamlet given during the interview day. If you look on the website (https://tun.touro.edu/programs/coll...ne/doctor-of-osteopathic-medicine/curriculum/), the curriculum shown also correlates with a normal/abnormal curriculum.

It's funny, because my reasoning for not being in love is that I am from the East Coast. I didn't find the building that bad honestly, but that could be because I was looking at functionality, more than aesthetics. At my interview not only were the people there super friendly, but the staff and faculty, including one of my interviewers, were a lot friendlier than many schools I have interviewed at. Also, I really did get the feeling that the faculty really CARES, which again, some of the interviews I have had was with faculty who did not care as much. I was also short 3 credits of Behavorial sciences and the same day I asked if that will be an issue, I received a response that the director of admissions was happy to waive that requirement for me, which again showed they care and they aren't being jerks to make me make up those credits, which they definitely could have done if they wanted to, which their sister school in NY told me they would enforce that rule.

Also, for me at least, it meant a lot to me to have one of my interviewers ask me about a project I wrote about in my application, which was the first time I have been asked about that project, because he also thought it was amazing and realized it was important to me. That same interviewer had sent me a nice response to my thank you email, within a hour. Having faculty that really care and get you, is a huge asset for medical school, because they become the best mentors you can have for life.

So for me, my lack of love is for logistical reasons only.

Thanks for your input. I agree, I think faculty actually caring in your success is important. I was very surprised that during my interview, details from my LOR was mentioned.

Luckily for me, I felt the "care" factor from all my interviews, which negates it as a factor for me in choosing this school.

Does anyone have any idea of how many students have been admitted to the class so far?

At least 140 from the facebook group
Yeah I saw the FB group too. Last time I checked it had 148 members, two of which are admins. Although I don't believe the number of members would be an accurate image of the current class size. There are bound to be those that haven't asked to join the group and the few who may not have FB accounts. I just wasn't sure if maybe someone had contacted admissions or if something may have been mentioned at recent interviews?

Pros:

Cons:
- That UGLY building...

Hey, just FYI, the curriculum is systems based now. Not traditional.

My app has been on hold (pre-II) since October. Is there any chance they might send an II my way or are they done with their interview cycle?

My app has been on hold (pre-II) since October. Is there any chance they might send an II my way or are they done with their interview cycle?
I received an II last Friday, April 20th for a interview spot on May 7th. There's still hope!

Hey y'all. I'm taking a break from work and got curious to see what's going on in this page. Glad to see much hope and positivities here. I want to comment on the actual numbers of students on TUNDO2022 FB page. I got accepted in Oct 2017 and the group paged was created in Feb (I think). There are 152 members, with 6-8 (DO2021 class). A few in there either waiting for other schools or accepted elsewhere (not attending TUN). I know one of the latter personally. I am also waiting for an answer elsewhere. There's hope so I'd interview if this is where you wanna go or need to go. TUN seems great from the match list and my personal experience during the interview. The DO2022 cohort is pretty active in trying to get to know each other. At any rate, best of luck!

I wonder if there’s going to be any waitlist movement soon? I know this time last year they were pulling from the waitlist, even though interviews were still lined up.

I wonder if there’s going to be any waitlist movement soon? I know this time last year they were pulling from the waitlist, even though interviews were still lined up.

Same! I'm really hoping to hear something soon! Most of the waitlist movement started in beginning June for last year I think, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally, I felt I clicked with the students and other interviewees really well. I enjoyed my interactions with everyone more so than other schools and loved Henderson; I value this the most because I believe my happiness will play a huge part in my academic performance. In regards to the building, I didn't think the building was bad at all. I thought it was pretty nice, especially because they had a gym and a basketball court indoors.

Same! I'm really hoping to hear something soon! Most of the waitlist movement started in beginning June for last year I think, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally, I felt I clicked with the students and other interviewees really well. I enjoyed my interactions with everyone more so than other schools and loved Henderson; I value this the most because I believe my happiness will play a huge part in my academic performance. In regards to the building, I didn't think the building was bad at all. I thought it was pretty nice, especially because they had a gym and a basketball court indoors.

This is why I picked TUN too. Wait until you see how cheap it is to live like a king in Henderson too

A majority of movement was during June, but I noticed a few people got pulled in April.

Accepted!!! Interviewed 4/10

Anyone know how many spots are left? Received an interview invite this morning for 05/07 (next Monday). They have 20 spots left for interviews that day and no further dates in May or June left.

I’ll be withdrawing my acceptance soon to go to my state school so hope that spot can go to one of you that are still interviewing/waitlisted!!!

Is anyone here doing/thinking of doing the HPSP military scholarship?

Can you provide any info on where I can find the 6% Nevada loan?

Its the Fed Direct Unsub Loan NV... its actually a federal loan, but its set at 6%. The rates and everything can be found online or I have it on the budget worksheet from the fin aid presentation on interview day. Hope this helps

So, I just received an interview invite to TUN about 20 minutes ago. I won’t be attending since I’m already committed to an MD school, so I hope my slot goes to anyone out there still hoping for an interview. I didn’t know that schools interviewed this late in the cycle, do they still have spots left, or is this an interview for the waitlist?

I just got the waitlist email from Touro Nevada. Good luck to everyone!

I just received an interview invite from TUNCOM and am considering not attending. Does anyone know if interviews this late into the cycle are for waitlists?

Just got an II as well. I do wonder if there's a decent chance for interviewees to be accepted. I might call admissions and see what the outlook is like for people interviewing this late.